French Guiana vs Canada - Post Match Thread

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Six thoughts on the game:

1) French Guiana is very bad. Their goalkeeper isn't USL level. The Caribbean Cup needs to be reworked so teams like Haiti and T&T don't miss out on the Gold Cup because of an individual fluke game. 

2) For five minutes we were very very bad. The back line is a huge worry going into games against better opponents.

3) Excited to see Davies get some goals. Let's hope this snaps him back into form against higher level competition. 

4) The midfield played very well. Piette and Bernier pushed everything to the sidelines, the attacking midfield were constantly providing an outlet.

5) Did I mention their GK was bad? Cause he was really, really bad.

6) We can't take too much from this given the level of the competition and the fact that they aren't allowed to play the player that got them here, but damn is it nice to get a win in the Gold Cup.

Cavallini was great tonight, huge part of our play tonight.  All you can ask of a player who wasn't given an opportunity to score.. let's be honest he wasn't picked out a few times on easy passes. Nice assist on the first Davies goal. 

21 minutes ago, Shakmur said:

II think we werent watching the same game then

Yes, it appears you were watching a stream from an alternate reality where Cavallini was static and we were watching one where he was involved and did a lot of dirty work up top.

Cavallini wasnt picked out because he doesnt move enough. And he didnt do much to get the ball either. It was obvious as soon as AJH came on.

I think Crépeau cant be blamed so much on both goals because of how disorganized the team was after they subbed off Bernier. And on the first one on the corner kick it was Cavallini who badly covered his man.

36 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Six thoughts on the game:

1) French Guiana is very bad. Their goalkeeper isn't USL level. The Caribbean Cup needs to be reworked so teams like Haiti and T&T don't miss out on the Gold Cup because of an individual fluke game. 

Based on club pedigree and their results in the Caribbean Cup, including drawing Jamaica, I'd say this is a bit harsh. I'd put them at the level of at least Cuba, who have beaten us.

3 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Yes, it appears you were watching a stream from an alternate reality where Cavallini was static and we were watching one where he was involved and did a lot of dirty work up top.

You mean the poor defending and the dangerous tackles from FG, yeah. Any forward holding the ball a little would of had the same effect.

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

Based on club pedigree and their results in the Caribbean Cup, including drawing Jamaica, I'd say this is a bit harsh. I'd put them at the level of at least Cuba, who have beaten us.

Jamaica sent a B team to the Caribbean Cup and FG was allowed to use their best player.

12 minutes ago, canta15 said:

I loved watching that game. Is it fair to say Crepeau played a major role in the 2 goals against us?

Can't blame Crepeau for the first one, getting megged was definitely on him although the defense was also questionable on that goal

Just now, dsqpr said:

Cavellini has a big advantage in that he has support. Friend was mostly left totally isolated.

When you play up front and the team bangs in 4 goals that reflects on you, even if you didn't score any of them. You are part of a successful offence.

I expect to see lots of goals from Cavellini in the future. I think he and Larin will make each other better, either playing together or competing for the start.

I hope you're right with all this. I suspect the wingers and Arfield won't be available to offer quite as much support against Costa Rica or Honduras as they will have much greater defensive duties.

Just now, Shakmur said:

Please AJH instead of Cavallini next game. Cavallini was too static.

AJH becomes more static when he plays a full 90. Not to mention he gets injured or gets cramps. He's great as a super sub. If Cavallini flops next game, bring him on 10 minutes earlier.

Also, if Borjan's eye is too swollen, Who ya got for keeper next game? - my call would be to give Leutwiler a competitive debut.

Just now, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

AJH becomes more static when he plays a ful 90. Not to mention he gets injured or gets cramps. He's great as a super sub if Cavallini flops next game, bring hi on 10 minutes earlier.

Also, if Borjan's eye is too swollen, who ya got for keeper next game - my call would be to give Leutwiler a competitive debut.

Absolutely yes to both.

This performance by cavallini was better than any by larin save maybe the Dominica matches.. and even that is a reach. Very impressed but I can see him drawing red. 

French Guiana is not nearly as bad as people are claiming.. I know it's hard to admit but we were pretty damn dangerous in attack.  Hoilett doesn't get enough credit either he is such a threat for us, great on the ball. FWIW I thought we were also dangerous against curaçao just not as clinical/lucky. 

Cavallini was excellent and I'm surprised there is even a debate on that. Brilliant assist on the winning goal. Better service from Davies in the first half and he'd have had a couple himself. AJH was also excellent

Tough spot for Crepeau to come into the match mid-second half in the pouring rain - will cut him some slack on that.

We will need more from Hoilett in the next two games.

Petrasso at right back was the most pleasant surprise. He was better defensively there than I thought - tighter against his opponents than Aird & offers the same going forward which is probably why he was preferred.

The match played out as we might have expected, with Canada good offensively but weak defensively - weaker once Borjan went out. The team should still improve from here.

Hands up everyone who predicted Jakovic would score his first to end our Gold Cup goal drought. I think that's the first time we have scored 4 in a Gold Cup match.

More thoughts after the re-watch, after I finish watching CR vs. Hon

Archived