CONCACAF Nations League

10 hours ago, canta15 said:

Israel played in Oceania

And now plays in europe. Surname and Guyana also play in concacaf

11 hours ago, Coin Toss said:

Greenland is geographically in North America. No question. Welcome to Concacaf.

See above for why geography don't matter. But they likely will

13 hours ago, Alex said:

Yeah seriously Greenland = Montserrat. Actually i just checked, Greenland has a population of 56,000 and Montserrats is 4,900. 

Greenland plays handball in the Americas, don't they send teams to the Pan-Am Games?

As for a grass pitch, fine: get that Danish prime minister in the TV series in Borgen to build them an indoor grass facility.

6 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think people may be forgetting that it was called Greenland for a reason. They probably could build a natural grass pitch on the southern tip where the Vikings settled as there is still some agriculture going on there:

It was called Greenland by the vikings becuase they didn't want people to come to "Iceland" as it was ironically mostly green. So they named Greenland its name even though it was mostly ice to make settlers avoid the suposidly icy Iceland. It was a trick

Just now, Alex D said:

They could run this Nations League for countries who don't make the hex. Place countries into groups based on rankings then mimic the schedule for WCQ. 

Yes, this sounds like a good idea.  To cut expenses, groups could be located in a single location with a round-robin format.

As this league will have to be financially supported by the region itself, its a question of whether the numbers of CONCACAF's smaller nations can carry the day over the (fewer but economically and politically influential) larger sides to push the proposals through. 

12 hours ago, Cheeta said:

And every match doesn't necessarily have to be a senior "A side" event.  Just so long as the parties involved are all on the same page.  Don't get me wrong, I want the points but...

Using a couple of dates in the calendar to give the 2nd team/youth sides (or whatever criteria you fancy) a look-see isn't a terrible thing if the timing is appropriate and both sides are in agreement on expectations of the test. 

No sense running out the under 23s or a NA based selection against Mexico's 1st 11 is there?  And I'm sure Mexico wouldn't want to waste an international date with that either unless it served their purposes also. 

We already do that. Have you not seen our last roster? With this league, we would only have maybe one or two scheduled friendlies a year. Let the B team play that game.

Edited by Guest

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think people may be forgetting that it was called Greenland for a reason. They probably could build a natural grass pitch on the southern tip where the Vikings settled as there is still some agriculture going on there:

It was called Greenland for "marketing purposes" to attract more people to live there, while Iceland was named as such so that enemies wouldn't pursue the land.  

Edited by Keegan
edit: see canta beat me to the punch

5 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Apparently Nuuk is quite nice. 2 people i spoke with who travelled to participate in the AWG's last year had nothing but good things to say about it.

I've heard the same. I would really like to visit. Saw a show a few years ago of photos of nuuk and the ice bergs off the coast and it all looked beautiful 

On 20/03/2017 at 0:06 PM, Alex D said:

They could run this Nations League for countries who don't make the hex. Place countries into groups based on rankings then mimic the schedule for WCQ. 

I would think more of the countries who don't qualify for the second round of WCQ and the Gold Cup.

Remember CONCACAF has about 30+ teams that don't have much once they're out of WCQ and the CC. 

The reason I dont see Canada in this is because we automatically qualify for the GC, and also in recent years we play at least once friendly on given Fifa days.

1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I would think more of the countries who don't qualify for the second round of WCQ and the Gold Cup.

Remember CONCACAF has about 30+ teams that don't have much once they're out of WCQ and the CC. 

The reason I dont see Canada in this is because we automatically qualify for the GC, and also in recent years we play at least once friendly on given Fifa days.

I could see Canada skipping but I think there's reason to think the CSA want Canada to gain FIFA points and if this is used to generate Gold Cup spots then they might take it up.

I'm thinking this will end up being a "last chance at the Gold Cup" thing since both the Caribbean Cup and the Copa Centroamericana end around January (usually). Teams that fail to qualify at either (teams 5-7 from Central America and 5-8/9 from Caribbean) enter this (if they want) and it replaces the CFU-CAFU playoffs. Maybe Canada enters for the points. Top 4 teams make the Gold Cup. That's how I would do it.

The other part of me thinks this will be some yearly event where 10 poorer nations enter just to play each international window in Florida.

It would be moronic for us to skip out on this. We are always syaing we need more competitive games against teams in our region and qualify for the Gold Cup. Here is our chance

11 hours ago, canta15 said:

It would be moronic for us to skip out on this. We are always syaing we need more competitive games against teams in our region and qualify for the Gold Cup. Here is our chance

The nations we need to play more competitive games against are Panama, Costa Rica, Peru, Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, Venezuela, Jamaica, Trinidad, Haiti....

I strongly do not believe that playing against St. Lucia, Montserratt, Antigua, Aruba, Grenada, DR is valuable then playing the teams above. When it comes down to WCQ preparation, we need to be playing against the teams that are of the same quality of the teams that make us drop points, so we can prepare for the occasion. We clearly haven't got that from Uzbekistan, or Azerbaijan so how will it help against Honduras.

If this is for a FIFA points thing.....then cool,... not really. I'm not with the begging of playing underserved countries to move up in the fake rankings or win consolation trophies. At the end of the day, you gotta win when it counts, and its not like we don't (although very little) have a history of winning.

14 hours ago, matty said:

I could see Canada skipping but I think there's reason to think the CSA want Canada to gain FIFA points and if this is used to generate Gold Cup spots then they might take it up.

I'm thinking this will end up being a "last chance at the Gold Cup" thing since both the Caribbean Cup and the Copa Centroamericana end around January (usually). Teams that fail to qualify at either (teams 5-7 from Central America and 5-8/9 from Caribbean) enter this (if they want) and it replaces the CFU-CAFU playoffs. Maybe Canada enters for the points. Top 4 teams make the Gold Cup. That's how I would do it.

The other part of me thinks this will be some yearly event where 10 poorer nations enter just to play each international window in Florida.

Why will Canada be required to qualify for the Gold Cup again? 

Can't stress how this tournament is being created or talked about due to the Caribbean breakaway from CONCACAF rumours. The Caribbean federations feel that a lot of resources (money) has been neglected from some of the top nations, much less the nations that can't even afford to join the Caribbean Cup for various reasons related to money (Bahamas, St. Lucia, Bonaire, Montseratt, Cayman Islands, and Turks and Caicos). So the talk now is how are they suppose to even prepare for a WCQ, or improve their nations ball when they don't play any competitive games past their every 4 year WCQ do or die knockout tie that they normally lose.

Thats why I see this tournament as a Europa style, one month tournament that coincides with the Gold Cup. The teams that qualify are the 20+ Caribbean teams that do not qualify for the Gold Cup via the the Caribbean Cup, and the 2 Copa Centroamericana failures (Belize, Nicaragua) will make up the slate of teams. Is how I for see this nations cup.

9 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Why will Canada be required to qualify for the Gold Cup again? 

Can't stress how this tournament is being created or talked about due to the Caribbean breakaway from CONCACAF rumours. The Caribbean federations feel that a lot of resources (money) has been neglected from some of the top nations, much less the nations that can't even afford to join the Caribbean Cup for various reasons related to money (Bahamas, St. Lucia, Bonaire, Montseratt, Cayman Islands, and Turks and Caicos). So the talk now is how are they suppose to even prepare for a WCQ, or improve their nations ball when they don't play any competitive games past their every 4 year WCQ do or die knockout tie that they normally lose.

Thats why I see this tournament as a Europa style, one month tournament that coincides with the Gold Cup. The teams that qualify are the 20+ Caribbean teams that do not qualify for the Gold Cup via the the Caribbean Cup, and the 2 Copa Centroamericana failures (Belize, Nicaragua) will make up the slate of teams. Is how I for see this nations cup.

You realize I implied shit would be voluntarily. Maybe Canada risks it's spot, which most feel is undeserved, and plays in this thing. I don't know. I have said in the past canada might only enter qualification if it was against minnows and the odds were mega in their favour to win

You stress cfu but concacaf is also dealing with the expansion of the gold cup by 4 teams which is a far bigger issue. They either have to give all of central america spots and award the Caribbean 2 new spots or create something "fair" like this could be.

When it comes to the issue of cash. This tourney likely won't make much without a big nation like canada taking part (barbados' financial statements confirm this) And running it along side the gold cup would also cause it to make zero dollars.

The tourney fully could go your way but i question it.

Edited by matty

12 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

The nations we need to play more competitive games against are Panama, Costa Rica, Peru, Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, Venezuela, Jamaica, Trinidad, Haiti....

I strongly do not believe that playing against St. Lucia, Montserratt, Antigua, Aruba, Grenada, DR is valuable then playing the teams above. When it comes down to WCQ preparation, we need to be playing against the teams that are of the same quality of the teams that make us drop points, so we can prepare for the occasion. We clearly haven't got that from Uzbekistan, or Azerbaijan so how will it help against Honduras.

If it is just for the Caribbean teams then i think we should play regardless, but I honestly don't think they would make this league just for them. It will reflect the Uefa nations league

I think if they did something with CONMEBOL, it would be pretty cool. Enticing for teams like USA and Mexico as well. I did up some groups below following UEFA's format to show what it could look like

Div A - Group 1 Div A - Group 2 Div A - Group 3 Div A - Group 4
Argentina Brazil Chile Colombia
Mexico Ecuador Peru Uruguay
Costa Rica United States Paraguay Panama

Div B - Group 1 Div B - Group 2 Div B - Group 3 Div B - Group 4
Venezuela Honduras Haiti St. Kitts & Nevis
Trinidad & Tobago Guatemala Jamaica Curacao
Antigua & Barbuda Bolivia El Salvador Canada

Div C - Group 1 Div C - Group 2 Div C - Group 3 Div C - Group 4
Nicaragua Suriname Dominican Republic Guyana
Barbados Cuba Belize Puerto Rico
Grenada Aruba Dominica St. Vincent & Gren.

Div D - Group 1 Div D - Group 2 Div D - Group 3 Div D - Group 4
Montserrat US Virgin Islands Bermuda St. Lucia
Cayman Islands Turks & Caicos Islands British Virgin Islands Anguilla

4 hours ago, canta15 said:

If it is just for the Caribbean teams then i think we should play regardless, but I honestly don't think they would make this league just for them. It will reflect the Uefa nations league

Not just Caribbean teams, but the CONCACAF D sides.

What benefits do we get from playing St. Lucia, Dominica, Antigua? Other then points ....what is the real benefit.

I'm curious because it's not like we haven't played these teams before in friendlies, and convincingly won. So what is the real benefit that translates to us taking points from the CONCACAF A sides in tournaments/qualifiers that matter.

I've yet to see any challenging points other then "padding the stats".