CONCACAF Nations League

12 hours ago, matty said:

When it comes to the issue of cash. This tourney likely won't make much without a big nation like canada taking part (barbados' financial statements confirm this) And running it along side the gold cup would also cause it to make zero dollars.

The tourney fully could go your way but i question it.

I'm sorry, what and how is Canada going to drive revenue for a tournament of this magnitude? It being hosted in Canada?...primarily GTA due to its massive population of Caribbean migrants?...OK!...I can see that play out, other then that, Canada is no big cash draw, not even at home.

This is a supplemental championship...meaning revenue wouldn't be the main focus, due to the caliber of teams and the initial creation of it. It's for the D CONCACAF teams for development purposes solely. Its to give teams a chance to prepare for a knock round/leg before they have to play one (usually it's their only meaningful game for 4 years) .

But I could be extremely wrong, as I have been in the past.

I just don't see the relevance in having another tournament that is another name for the Gold Cup with a few different teams...Remember at least 10 of those Gold Cup teams will play in the Copa America.

So Canada will be trying to qualify for 4 tournaments? Bit much.

48 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Not just Caribbean teams, but the CONCACAF D sides.

What benefits do we get from playing St. Lucia, Dominica, Antigua? Other then points ....what is the real benefit.

I'm curious because it's not like we haven't played these teams before in friendlies, and convincingly won. So what is the real benefit that translates to us taking points from the CONCACAF A sides in tournaments/qualifiers that matter.

I've yet to see any challenging points other then "padding the stats".

It's gonna depend what this tourney is. Will it be just the minnows playing friendlies or will it be something designed with an additional purpose? If the later it's worth checking out especially if CAFU 5-7 are there along with a stronger CFU team or two and it offers both the ability to captie players, gain points and play in non-neutral settings. If it lacks those benefits maybe avoid.

31 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I'm sorry, what and how is Canada going to drive revenue for a tournament of this magnitude? It being hosted in Canada?...primarily GTA due to its massive population of Caribbean migrants?...OK!...I can see that play out, other then that, Canada is no big cash draw, not even at home.

TV. The only way this thing makes any money for everyone is with TV and having Canada is somewhat sellable due to our size and wealth. While the income wouldn't reach Gold Cup levels of money, FAs would still likely make around $15-25k (which to the smaller ones is a ton of money). Having Canada would also be added incentive for a small US deal.

31 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

This is a supplemental championship...meaning revenue wouldn't be the main focus, due to the caliber of teams and the initial creation of it. It's for the D CONCACAF teams for development purposes solely. Its to give teams a chance to prepare for a knock round/leg before they have to play one (usually it's their only meaningful game for 4 years) .

It might be but who knows right now. A lot of the smaller nations likely want money as much as they want action. Both are needed for development.

Vic did single out Canada and he's usually super careful with his words. He might just use the example he knows best and he might see this as something mid level nations like Canada could anchor.

It's a wait and see thing. Hell it could a project where richer nations (Canada, US, Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama) play mega minnows on the mega minnows turf and the minnow that does the best against the teams that visit wins.

One thing is for sure is this will not be on the scale of the Gold Cup. It'll likely happen over windows with likely no real "host nation". Might lead to a few Gold Cup spots and a Copa America spot.

Edited by matty

4 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Not just Caribbean teams, but the CONCACAF D sides.

What benefits do we get from playing St. Lucia, Dominica, Antigua? Other then points ....what is the real benefit.

I'm curious because it's not like we haven't played these teams before in friendlies, and convincingly won. So what is the real benefit that translates to us taking points from the CONCACAF A sides in tournaments/qualifiers that matter.

I've yet to see any challenging points other then "padding the stats".

I'll admit, if it was just the Caribbean teams it would be bad to replace all our friendlies with this league.

If it contains every CONCACAF team (it will likely not include CONMEBOL) it will give us valuable games in Central America and we will no longer have uncertainty on whether we will have any friendlies or not or the skill level of the opponent.

The Nations League is on the agenda for discussion at the upcoming CONCACAF Congress on April 8th in Aruba.  There's a typo on the agenda saying 2016 but it's actually 2017.

http://www.concacaf.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/XXXII-CONCACAF-Ordinary-Congress-Agenda-English-3.6.17.pdf

Antigua's FA president mentioned it will start next year.

“Finances, we weren’t in a position to do it, we just didn’t have the funding to accommodate [matches] at that time and that’s the reality of the matter. There is a new format to football in the region which hasn’t been fully released by CONCACAF just yet, but there is a new thing called the Nations Cup which is going to be coming out,” he said.

“We are just trying to get the calendar together and the Benna Boys will probably try to do a few friendlies this year as we start getting prepared for that tournament which will actually be next year,” he added.

His statement comes on the heels of a winless campaign by the National Under-20 squad in the CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers held in Costa Rica.

The Benna Youths lost all three of their encounters to end their Group A campaign at the bottom of the standings.

Derrick admitted that the team was under-prepared going into the high-profile tournament.

“We need more competition at this level, in terms of friendlies at the higher level in terms of playing more of the Costa Ricas or the Mexicos and others on a regular basis throughout the year and I think that will get the guys accustomed to the pace of the game so it’s just a matter of more games in my opinion,” he said

http://antiguaobserver.com/derrick-friendly-matches-too-costly/

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

Just don't see how it makes sense considering those teams will likely be in the World Cup. Also they'll likely be preparing for it in the leading months, so I can't see Osorio using Antigua as preparation. 

37 minutes ago, matty said:

OMG this is gonna be like my stupid idea isn't it

....did you mention B/C teams? Because this is what I suspect it would be for the "A" CONCACAF teams (Mexico, US, Costa Rica), if those nations are involved. 

11 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

....did you mention B/C teams? Because this is what I suspect it would be for the "A" CONCACAF teams (Mexico, US, Costa Rica), if those nations are involved. 

Does sending a u23 team count as b/c-team?

23 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Just don't see how it makes sense considering those teams will likely be in the World Cup. Also they'll likely be preparing for it in the leading months, so I can't see Osorio using Antigua as preparation. 

I'm guessing based on this there's some kind of group set-up coming that's gonna see everyone have to play friendlies against minnows as a collection of micro round robin tourneys. Doubt it'll be too grand (as you point out a number of nations have better things to do).

Maybe 8 groups of 5(6 for 1) so everyone gets 4 games and each group gets a stronger team. 8 teams get some shitty cup at the end

I missed this from a few weeks ago.

NATIONS LEAGUE

Following UEFA's model of a new competition for all members with rewards weighted toward lower-ranked teams, Montagliani says his 41 federations are enthusiastic about the proposal.

"It's a great opportunity,'' the CONCACAF president said of a tiered structure that creates games between closely-matched opponents, and offers a qualifying path to big events.

"It would obviously help the smaller countries for whom it's very difficult to get games,'' he said. "When we in CONCACAF create our own Iceland, our own Wales, we will just be a better confederation for it. Our big boys on the block, Mexico and the U.S., will be better for it as well.''

http://www.espnfc.com/concacaf-gold-cup/story/3088824

I'm assuming "big events" includes the Gold Cup and potential 2020 Copa America.  That would mean Nations League matches carry a 2.5x ranking point multiplier. 

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

42 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

"It's a great opportunity,'' the CONCACAF president said of a tiered structure that creates games between closely-matched opponents, and offers a qualifying path to big events.

I missed this too....but if this is an indication of how this tournament will be set up. ...it seems it will mean providing more meaningful (qualifying type) games for the 25+ D CONCACAF teams  (Bermuda, St. Lucia, Bahamas, Aruba, etc.) to better prepare them for other tournaments and the opportunity to improve their rankings.

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

26 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I missed this too....but if this is an indication of how this tournament will be set up. ...it seems it will mean providing more meaningful (qualifying type) games for the 25+ D CONCACAF teams  (Bermuda, St. Lucia, Bahamas, Aruba, etc.) to better prepare them for other tournaments and the opportunity to improve their rankings.

If they're going off of FIFA rankings, Canada, TnT and El Salvador and Nicaragua will be in this.

Nice to see I was likely right about Gold Cup but this thing is gonna be weird I'm thinking.

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Gonna guess this will be somewhat like the IIHF format with pro/rel. Guessing certain teams will not be involved (US, Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, ect.) but if you remove the 6 hex teams you end up with 35 teams and could possibly create 7 groups of 5 sorted by team rankings. After playing 8 games over 4 windows, the group winner moves up a level and the last place team drops. The teams in the teams in the top group the year before Gold Cup qualify.

Edited by matty

45 minutes ago, matty said:

If they're going off of FIFA rankings, Canada, TnT and El Salvador and Nicaragua will be in this.

Nice to see I was likely right about Gold Cup but this thing is gonna be weird I'm thinking.

You, me, we maybe right....

The part where I don't think it it's necessary or I should say beneficial for Canada is because we don't have a problem (like the others) scheduling friendlies. 

I'll take playing Scotland, Morroco, Iceland etc., over playing Bermuda or St. Kitts. But if it's beneficial from a Fifa ranking aspect, then I can understand that value...I just don't believe is has a direct correlation with development or preparation for the "big guys" in CONCACAF. 

Just now, Jahinho Guerro said:

You, me, we maybe right....

The part where I don't think it it's necessary or I should say beneficial for Canada is because we don't have a problem (like the others) scheduling friendlies. 

I'll take playing Scotland, Morroco, Iceland etc., over playing Bermuda or St. Kitts. But if it's beneficial from a Fifa ranking aspect, then I can understand that value...I just don't believe is has a direct correlation with development or preparation for the "big guys" in CONCACAF. 

It's true we don't have an issue arranging friendlies and this could be regressive for us if it plays us against the minnows. If the tiered thing means Canada playing El Salvador, TnT, Jamaica and Guatemala (at home and on their turfs) then I'm all for it but Canada playing Aruba, Guyana, Barbados and Turks and Caicos is a waste of time.

3 minutes ago, matty said:

It's true we don't have an issue arranging friendlies and this could be regressive for us if it plays us against the minnows. If the tiered thing means Canada playing El Salvador, TnT, Jamaica and Guatemala (at home and on their turfs) then I'm all for it but Canada playing Aruba, Guyana, Barbados and Turks and Caicos is a waste of time.

What I do know for sure is that it would be a nice bonding and relaxing midweek vacation/break in the beautiful islands for the boys. Accompanied by poolside interviews saying "this is no vacation, we have a serious game at hand"...followed by a 1-0 win.?

7 hours ago, matty said:

That's an easy fix, we just win all these games against those mentioned teams and we won't have to play them again. Then we start actually having prep games in Central America and Trinidad/Jamaica. 

12 hours ago, matty said:

Gonna guess this will be somewhat like the IIHF format with pro/rel. Guessing certain teams will not be involved (US, Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, ect.) but if you remove the 6 hex teams you end up with 35 teams and could possibly create 7 groups of 5 sorted by team rankings. After playing 8 games over 4 windows, the group winner moves up a level and the last place team drops. The teams in the teams in the top group the year before Gold Cup qualify.

Why are you assuming those 6 nations will not participate in it?

Just now, canta15 said:

Why are you assuming those 6 nations will not participate in it?

Just putting a number out there. Could be 6 could be 10 could be 0. I do think there's gonna be teams that don't take part as CONCACAF has a very busy calendar and some nations really would not benefit from this because the competition isn't there for them.

14 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

They said the tournament will follow Uefa's model. Here is Uefa's model:
http://www.uefa.com/community/news/newsid=2079553.html

Light news http://www.royalgazette.com/soccer/article/20170404/concacaf-president-wants-unifying-force

.....Like many Concacaf nations, Bermuda’s development on the international stage is blighted by a lack of matches, often playing less than ten games during a four-year cycle.

To remedy that problem, Montagliani is looking into a “League of Nations” to enable the smaller countries to play matches more consistently.

“Countries like Bermuda — which is like the majority of our members to be fair — struggle to get a consistent amount of games,” added Montagliani, who will soon step down as the president of the Canadian Soccer Association.

“Some average as low as four games in a four-year period and that’s just not enough from a technical level or even from a commercial level. It’s very hard to go to potential sponsors and stakeholders and say, ‘I don’t know how many games we will play, but I want you to be our sponsors’.

“It’s something we’re looking at and we’ve studied it quite extensively. That started even before I became president when I researched it with our friends at Uefa, which launches its own League of Nations after the 2018 World Cup in Russia.”.....