CONCACAF Nations League

Yea so what I get from this league of nations is a way to completely rid of friendlies....this means a 50% increase on "cap-ability". Which could be extremely bad....or good, for Canada.

It's really interesting from the standpoint of that every game means for something, but really difficult to understand how they don't over saturate the fact that teams will be playing the same teams over and over again regardless or pro/rel. 

Did a quick draft of what this league could look like.

League 1 (12 teams)  first in each group qualify for the final four nations cup final, last in each group relegated to league 2.

A. 1. Mexico, 5. Honduras, 3. 9. Jamaica
B. 2. Costa Rica ,6. Haiti, 10. Guatemala 
C. 3. USA, 7. St.Kitts , 11. Trinidad 
D. 4. Panama, 8. Curacao , 12. Antigua

League 2 (12 teams) first place in each group promoted to league 1, last placed teams relegated to League 3.

A. 13. El Salvador, 17. Dominican Republic 
B. 14. Canada 18. Guyana 21. Cuba
C. 15. Nicaragua 19. Puerto Rico 22. Barbados
D. 16. Suriname 20. Belize 23. Grenada 

League 3 (9 teams) first place in each group and best second place get  promoted to League 2. Last place in each group relegated to League 4.

A. 123
B. 123
C. 123

League 4 (8) first place in each group promoted to league 3. Second place in each group play home and away series for promotion to League 3.

A. 1234
B. 1234

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

1 hour ago, One American said:

The United States is going to sacrifice games against bigger European and South American opponents so that Bermuda can get more games and finally get to be a world power? I think not. 

If all of the European teams are busy with their own nations league the options will become limited. 

I would say the big losers here are the USA and Mexico if they are involved. They'll be missing big friendlies and will likely lose a great deal of funds. I think some nations will abstain from this for such reasons also this tournament does nothing for them.

Canada will be in an interesting spot. The pros outweigh the cons here but there is the risk Canada ends up in the weaker groups and develops some nasty habits.

Overall the minows gain a lot (games, experience, money) from this which is great for the confederation as a whole.

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

The structure of CONCACAF competitions should not be based solely upon what the USA wants. 

Exactly it's what the bank account wants so everyone is happy.

5 minutes ago, matty said:

Canada will be in an interesting spot. The pros outweigh the cons here but there is the risk Canada ends up in the weaker groups and develops some nasty habits.

After the Gold Cup, Canada won't be ranked so low. I expect us to move into the top 10, which would put us among the best. 

The reality is US & Mexico may not have any other choices, considering UEFA (55 teams) will be busy with their own nations cup. I don't know if they don't want to include CONEMBOL in this, but they would be able to make this tournament more elite (sponsors), while still providing the smaller nations the opportunity to move up in competition.

All in all in UEFA & CONCACAF are doing this....CONEMBOL will be forced to play Africa & Asian countries, or continue playing the same 10 teams over, and over again.

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

5 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

The reality is US & Mexico may not have any other choices, considering UEFA (55 teams) will be busy with their own nations cup. I don't know if they don't want to include CONEMBOL in this, but they would be able to make this tournament more elite (sponsors), while still providing the smaller nations the opportunity to move up in competition.

The issue for them is that they will be losing a lot of money from friendlies and playing Panma and Haiti will not make up for it. US makes around 15 million off of their combined men's and women's friendlies, so we're talking about a lot of money. Only a select group of CONCACAF teams could help the US counter their loses.

The US and Mexico could also make more playing CAF teams than Caribbean ones.

The US and Mexico do open you up to more sponsors and TV. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Including CONEMBOL would make up for this but it would build a wall for teams outside of the top 10.

5 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

CONEMBOL will be forced to play Africa & Asian countries, or continue playing the same 10 teams over, and over again.

They already do that like half the time. :P

BTW found documentation that basically says we should have known this was in the works a year ago.

Actually nevermind reviewing the document. CONCACAF are morons who can't date shit correctly

Edited by matty

53 minutes ago, matty said:

The issue for them is that they will be losing a lot of money from friendlies and playing Panma and Haiti will not make up for it. US makes around 15 million off of their combined men's and women's friendlies, so we're talking about a lot of money. Only a select group of CONCACAF teams could help the US counter their loses.

The US and Mexico could also make more playing CAF teams than Caribbean ones.

I think in the states, playing teams from central america would attract more of a crowd from the latinos compared to if they were playing a team from Asia or Africa

10 minutes ago, canta15 said:

I think in the states, playing teams from central america would attract more of a crowd from the latinos compared to if they were playing a team from Asia or Africa

Some countries yes would draw (I did note the select group) but not everyone draws constantly. Certain teams from Africa and Asia will draw better

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-soccer-americas-league-idUSKBN1791QA

HIGHLIGHTS

....Plans for a new league competition for national teams in North and Central America and the Caribbean are set to be agreed on this weekend, the region's football chief has told Reuters.

CONCACAF president Victor Montagliani has been privately sounding out the 41 federations within the region regarding the 'League of Nations' plan, which would effectively eliminate friendlies.

Saturday's CONCACAF congress in Aruba will finalize the structure of the competition, which will include regional powerhouses the United States and Mexico....

...The new UEFA league means that top teams in CONCACAF will have little or no opportunities for friendly games against European opposition.

"What people need to realize is that the world of friendlies is going to change, with Europe changing to the Nations League, it is going to get harder to get friendlies," said Montagliani who believes that will be no great loss.

"The truth of the matter is that a lot of the friendlies our nations play, including the bigger nations, are a waste of time, let’s be honest, a lot of them are not quality. You are better off playing a game that actually means something (even) against an opponent, that on paper anyway, may not be as good," he said....

Well looks like I was wrong about nations skipping also this thing just became super useful to us

22 minutes ago, Rheo said:

And like he said they're going to want to stay with the sexy European friendlies going away for the most part

I'm so sad we won't be getting Canada vs the Faroes for the Arctic Nations Cup

I could see a 3 tier setup with the top 2 and bottom 2 get relegated.

Tier 1:  4 groups of 3.

Top 4 have a final championship round.  Bottom 4 have a relegation round and 2 get relegated. 

Tier 2: 4 groups of 3

Top 4 have a promotion round and 2 are promoted.  Bottom 4 have a relegation round and 2 are relegated. 

Tier 3:  3 groups of 4, 1 group of 5.

Top 4 have a promotion round and 2 are promoted.

*edit* At the beginning of every tournament each tier gets reseeded to establish the groups.

Edited by baulderdash77