CONCACAF Nations League

6 hours ago, shorty said:

Perhaps then the games against pot D teams are an opportunity to cap-tie / get experience for the players that are 23-50 on the depth chart. Assuming you're willing to give those guys the keys to the truck in a meaningful game. We've never really had that kind of opportunity before, though, and if Canada B/C can't get it done vs BVI then we really have problems. 

Could be the ideal opportunity to cap-for a lot of the youngsters who are on the fringe and r yet to hear any interest from their alternate choices (talking of guys of the likes Ballou, Eustaquío, Borges, Mo Baboulli and even the like of Tomori) 

1 hour ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

Could be the ideal opportunity to cap-for a lot of the youngsters who are on the fringe and r yet to hear any interest from their alternate choices (talking of guys of the likes Ballou, Eustaquío, Borges, Mo Baboulli and even the like of Tomori) 

If Ballou wont come for the Gold Cup i am pretty sure he wont come for a game against one of the world’s worst national teams... I’d like to imagine that phone call. Haha. I do agree about guys like Baboulli or Shome though.

19 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

If Ballou wont come for the Gold Cup i am pretty sure he wont come for a game against one of the world’s worst national teams... I’d like to imagine that phone call. Haha. I do agree about guys like Baboulli or Shome though.

I don't know...an all paid weekend in Virgin Islands or Turks sounds like a pretty good reason to me. ;)

Ok, so that link confirms it’s 4 games per team in the qualifying. Sounds like it will then be a single table to determine which tier, so not just using the index at that point. Looking forward to the draw at 10am ET on Wednesday.

23 hours ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

Flying him down from Syria would be a nightmare... and it would be a big surprise if any of the other guys would commit so soon. I'm interested to see where we are going to play our two home qualifying games. I'd like to see the CSA take it to some smaller markets. Winnipeg, St. John's, etc. And if we draw Haitiat home we should play in Montreal. Would probably attract a large crowd.

Edited by Jith12

13 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

Flying him down from Syria would be a nightmare... and it would be a big surprise if any of the other guys would commit so soon. I'm interested to see where we are going to play our two home qualifying games. I'd like to see the CSA take it to some smaller markets. Winnipeg, St. John's, etc. And if we draw Haitiat home we should play in Montreal. Would probably attract a large crowd.

Why would flying him down from Syria be a nightmare?...I agree with staging games in smaller size markets, but still hope for a game in Toronto to go and support my Les Rouges, hahaha, lmfao

Just now, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

Why would flying him down from Syria be a nightmare?...I agree with staging games in smaller size markets, but still hope for a game in Toronto to go and support my Les Rouges, hahaha, lmfao

500 people were just killed in air strikes the other day. Being a military aged male, leaving that place would be hell.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

Ok, so that link confirms it’s 4 games per team in the qualifying. Sounds like it will then be a single table to determine which tier, so not just using the index at that point. Looking forward to the draw at 10am ET on Wednesday.

From the announcement:

"A computerized pre-draw has produced a Master Schedule for Nations League Qualifying, creating seventeen (17) fixtures for each of the four (4) FIFA match windows. Since time constraints make larger scale round-robin play among 34 teams unfeasible, this innovative, equally-weighted draw will result in a competitively balanced four-match fixture list for each nation. The computer model assures that no teams face each other more than once, and that each team plays two (2) home and two (2) away matches."

My image of the computer model is CONCACAF execs sitting in a room with a scale and bags of money to determine who paid the right amount for the "balanced" schedule.

2 hours ago, kacbru said:

My image of the computer model is CONCACAF execs sitting in a room with a scale and bags of money to determine who paid the right amount for the "balanced" schedule.

Side bar, I have been thinking that the new index for nations might spell the end of the negotiations for groups in the Gold Cup. I would love for there to be a legitimate draw for that tourney.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Side bar, I have been thinking that the new index for nations might spell the end of the negotiations for groups in the Gold Cup. I would love for there to be a legitimate draw for that tourney.

... corrected your sentence.

8 hours ago, Jith12 said:

As much as I would like to see a game in Winnipeg I am pretty sure that much higher revenue could be generated elsewhere. I seriously doubt whether Winnipeg would produce a crowd of 10,000 -- more likely 6-7k, IMHO.

And Montreal has pretty much been a disaster for hosting men's matches in recent years so I would not go there either.

Edited by dsqpr

11 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

As much as I would like to see a game in Winnipeg I am pretty sure that much higher revenue could be generated elsewhere. I seriously doubt whether Winnipeg would produce a crowd of 10,000 -- more likely 6-7k, IMHO.

And Montreal has pretty much been a disaster for hosting men's matches in recent years so I would not go there either.

Where would you go then not counting Toronto or Vancouver @dsqpr???

10 hours ago, dsqpr said:

It's been 18 years since Winnipeg hosted the CMNT in a stadium called the Winnipeg Soccer Complex, which I have no knowledge of capacity etc. They played 2 competitive games in Winnipeg that year and one friendly. The friendly drew 6,400 fans against Honduras. The competitive games were World Cup Qualifiers against Cuba (9,000 fans) and Panama. The Panama game only drew 3,000 fans but Canada had already been thoroughly eliminated from qualifying by the time that game rolled around, so I would argue the Cuba attendance would be closer to reality for a competitive fixture, depending on the opponent (a game against a Pot D team for example isn't going to draw many fans anywhere in Canada).

I'd say it's time to revisit Winnipeg, and I would love for potential CPL cities to get national team games to see what kind of interest there are in those cities.

(And just for completeness sake for anyone curious, Winnipeg drew crowds of 28,255 and 14,434 for CWNT friendlies against USA and Costa Rica at Investors Group Field in recent years).

11 hours ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

Where would you go then not counting Toronto or Vancouver @dsqpr???

Edmonton.

I am in favour of moving our internationals around the country rather than having a single National Stadium but I think three or even just two venues is fine. If we eventually have more viable venues (fan support as well as infrastructure), so much the better. But for now, I think using just those three or even just the two is fine.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

It's been 18 years since Winnipeg hosted the CMNT in a stadium called the Winnipeg Soccer Complex, which I have no knowledge of capacity etc. They played 2 competitive games in Winnipeg that year and one friendly. The friendly drew 6,400 fans against Honduras. The competitive games were World Cup Qualifiers against Cuba (9,000 fans) and Panama. The Panama game only drew 3,000 fans but Canada had already been thoroughly eliminated from qualifying by the time that game rolled around, so I would argue the Cuba attendance would be closer to reality for a competitive fixture, depending on the opponent (a game against a Pot D team for example isn't going to draw many fans anywhere in Canada).

I'd say it's time to revisit Winnipeg, and I would love for potential CPL cities to get national team games to see what kind of interest there are in those cities.

(And just for completeness sake for anyone curious, Winnipeg drew crowds of 28,255 and 14,434 for CWNT friendlies against USA and Costa Rica at Investors Group Field in recent years).

I was at both of the games you mention. The Winnipeg Soccer Complex now has one uncovered "bleacher" stand and that is it. Currently not even close to being an option. Edit: see below for fairly recent picture, taken from the "bleacher" stand:

You can't compare men to women here. The women have much higher drawing power. But even they did not get a huge crowd for the recent Costa Rica friendly (12k or so, just going from memory looking around the stands).

Of course I'd like to be wrong and my guess at what the men would draw is of course just a guess.

Winnipeg Soccer Complex, circa 2013:

Soccer Complex.jpg

Edited by dsqpr

1 hour ago, deschamp86 said:

I'd like to see whichever teams are in CPL/MLS and have highest attendance given MNT games. If Nations League is finally going to get us some home games, it'll be great to spread them throughout the country

Absolutely agree @ deschamp86.... Only way we can grow the brand of the CANMNT and bring it the much needed relevance & coverage like in football-mad nation style, hahaha 

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

I was at both of the games you mention. The Winnipeg Soccer Complex now has one uncovered "bleacher" stand and that is it. Currently not even close to being an option. Edit: see below for fairly recent picture, taken from the "bleacher" stand:

You can't compare men to women here. The women have much higher drawing power. But even they did not get a huge crowd for the recent Costa Rica friendly (12k or so, just going from memory looking around the stands).

Of course I'd like to be wrong and my guess at what the men would draw is of course just a guess.

Winnipeg Soccer Complex, circa 2013:

Soccer Complex.jpg

A clarification, I wasn't trying to suggest the Winnipeg Soccer Complex should be an option. Just trying to illustrate how long it has been since Winnipeg hosted, and I didn't have any context for how good a crowd of 9,000 is or isn't. Like, is that a sell out? Or were there 6,000 empty seats for that Cuba game?

As for the women, I wasn't trying to compare them, just thought I would post those numbers while I had them readily available. And I'm not sure why you are trying to remember 12k when I posted the number (14,434) in my post, along with the 28,255 against USA.

2 hours ago, dsqpr said:

If we eventually have more viable venues (fan support as well as infrastructure), so much the better.

Just curious, how do you suppose we determine the fan support without having some games there? Are you thinking about using support for CPL teams as a barometer for which cities could be tested with the CMNT? I'm not against that at all, I think that could be one of the benefits of the CPL. I'd just also be happy to see them get a shot before the CPL starts up.