2017 Toronto FC season (aka the 2017 MLS Cup clinching thread)

shermanator

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

No Giovinco or Altidore for TFC trip to LA

I thought that this might happen.  And i am glad. LA is plain lousy at home and its a perfect time to give others some much needed playing time.  Thats how you remain good as team, when you have players who can come in and play well and contibute. And enhance that already existing competition for spots.  This team has depth and thats their strongest asset. Its could to use it. 

Also, yes, it would be nice to see them get that regular season record for points.  They are chasing a number of other team records.  But, its not worth risking injury for those records. Or even over taxing ceratin players. 

Forgive my rant, but what the hell is wrong with people.  SI does a story on Atlanta's great first two games at their new home and on Twitter I see a couple of people complaining about the lack of coverage for TFC and their amazing year.

First do they not understand that there can be more than one story going on at a time?  Atlanta played last night, killed NE so a story on it is hardly out of place.

Second, do they not look on the internet?  I've see three articles today on American sites waxing poetic about how great TFC has been this year

Lastly, are they that insecure on their fandom that the need the constant praise and attention from the American press on TFC to vindicate the season?

I just don't understand.  Rant over.  Going back to waiting on whatever nugget of CPL news might but probably wont' come out anytime soon lol

4 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Lastly, are they that insecure on their fandom that the need the constant praise and attention from the American press on TFC to vindicate the season?

I just don't understand.  Rant over.  Going back to waiting on whatever nugget of CPL news might but probably wont' come out anytime soon lol

LMAO. Great one. 

3 hours ago, Rheo said:

Forgive my rant, but what the hell is wrong with people.  SI does a story on Atlanta's great first two games at their new home and on Twitter I see a couple of people complaining about the lack of coverage for TFC and their amazing year.

First do they not understand that there can be more than one story going on at a time?  Atlanta played last night, killed NE so a story on it is hardly out of place.

Second, do they not look on the internet?  I've see three articles today on American sites waxing poetic about how great TFC has been this year

TFC is starting to crack at the edges, that is my take on things. The pressure is so great they are going to end up bursting. A bust year and then it'll be hard to keep it all together for next. Having a lot of fun with these rather unfair digs have to admit, but we Caps fans have to take our chances.

5 minutes ago, shermanator said:

6 wins in a row, outscoring their opponents 21-3 in that stretch. This year's side is the most dominant MLS side I've ever seen. Remember when TFC were utterly abysmal for their first 7 years?

We are due this kind of dominance.  After so many years of embarrassing futility, we are due.  It feels good right now, but the balance is still not even.  We need a dynasty to get that done.

25 minutes ago, rkomar said:

We are due this kind of dominance.  After so many years of embarrassing futility, we are due.  It feels good right now, but the balance is still not even.  We need a dynasty to get that done.

If tfc can hold on to anyone under 33 years of age.  like Hamilton , giovinco, altidore , Osorio , Bradley , Mavinga , hagglund , Hasler , Edwards , Delgado, Chapman , Bono & maybe Get mark- Anthony Kaye back we can definitely create a dynasty 

17 minutes ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

If tfc can hold on to anyone under 33 years of age.  like Hamilton , giovinco, altidore , Osorio , Bradley , Mavinga , hagglund , Hasler , Edwards , Delgado, Chapman , Bono & maybe Get mark- Anthony Kaye back we can definitely create a dynasty 

The key to this season has been the rise of Delgado and Vazquez on top of the insane depth. I can't remember a team in MLS history that could bring players like Ricketts, Edwards, Cooper and Beitashour off the bench.

Now imagine this roster with Akinola instead of Spencer and Hundal instead of Endoh. They can afford losing minor pieices here and there.

I was thinking last night how many players TFC have in the top 25 league-wide:

The DPs and Vazquez, probably Morrow, and Delgado and Moor are not too far away. Just incredible. Fuse an ownership with money, smart stats, cap and scouting guys (they have Devin Pleuler, one of the best analytics guys around) and a youth/draft system that is consistently bringing in solid young players, and this team is not going anywhere but the top of the table for the foreseeable future.

I've never seen MLS games like TFC's recently, where it looks like an EPL-style mismatch from minute one. 

4 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

The DPs and Vazquez, probably Morrow, and Delgado and Moor are not too far away. Just incredible. Fuse an ownership with money, smart stats, cap and scouting guys (they have Devin Pleuler, one of the best analytics guys around) and a youth/draft system that is consistently bringing in solid young players, and this team is not going anywhere but the top of the table for the foreseeable future.

I've never seen MLS games like TFC's recently, where it looks like an EPL-style mismatch from minute one. 

True.  For the last while or so, it looks like everyone else is in a different league.  Money can buy you DP's but cant buy depth in a cap system like MLS. And TFC's strenght is their depth. 

Last night Hasler looked really good.  He got a chance because Beitashor got tackled by Kyle Fisher and suffered a life threathening injury.  Beitashor did nothing wrong to deserve losing his spot.   Earlier in the year it was Irwin who lost his spot to Bono (who has been the better of the two).  Hagglund has been excellent, but when he got injured, Mavinga came in and he has been so good that the club is touting him for winning the defender of the year in MLS.  Still Earlier in the year, it was Vasquez (maybe the team MVP) who was added and he took time away from Osorio but when other absences emerged recently, osorio came in and uppped his game further.  Even when Morgan, got a chance, he played some of his best soccer.

And on and on it goes.  Thats the strenght of this club,  the immensed depth created by immense competition for starting spots.   It at the point where the club is better when they forced to sit a couple of starters as was the case last night.  Thats when they are most dominant.   Same happened in June in Seattle,  a couple of key players sit and someone like Chapman comes in and practically delivers a MOTM performance and they win in seattle where very few team do.  

Will this continue?  I dont know.  The playoffs system in soccer are a crapshoot and we have seen this before in professional team sports.  The challenge will come in the off season when contracts are up for renegotiation and you have a cap system to adhere to.  It doesnt take much to lose that winning culture.  And its still been only one year.  But i think you are right,  i dont ever recall any other team in past years crushing everyone like this.  

5 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Clear best fullback pairing in the league, clear best striker partnership in the league, clear best depth in the league and a serious case for Bradley-Delgado-Vazquez being the best midfield in the league. By MLS standards, what's the weakness of this team? CB is only 4 players deep? Bono isn't (yet) a top 5 keeper? It's ridiculous.

38 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

At this point, MLS is made up of Toronto and then everyone else.  If they don't win it all come playoff time, then it would be a massive upset.

Thats the beauty (and upside) of a playoff system.  At the end of the year you have to beat all takers and win the title.  If TFC cant beat chicago/NYC or VWC SKC etc in the final for all the marbles, then they dont deserve the cup.  

13 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Thats the beauty (and upside) of a playoff system. 

Thats also the downside of a play off system.  A team can prove to be the best over a span of 6-8 months but come playoff time,  it could all come crumbling down due to either a bad call from the ref, untimely injuries, a bad bounce or an opponent playing cynically.  Or a combination of all of these factors.  

If the point of handing out a trophy at the year is to award the best team, then shouldnt it be to the team who excelled the most over the longer period?  

I get what your saying, and in North america you have to have a playoff system because thats what everyone is used to.  I am fine with it on balance.  Still,  in sport like hockey, there have been a few teams in the past that have won the stanley cup who were clearly not (on paper anyways) not the best team in the league that year. 

3 hours ago, Free kick said:

Thats also the downside of a play off system.  A team can prove to be the best over a span of 6-8 months but come playoff time,  it could all come crumbling down due to either a bad call from the ref, untimely injuries, a bad bounce or an opponent playing cynically.  Or a combination of all of these factors.  

If the point of handing out a trophy at the year is to award the best team, then shouldnt it be to the team who excelled the most over the longer period?  

I get what your saying, and in North america you have to have a playoff system because thats what everyone is used to.  I am fine with it on balance.  Still,  in sport like hockey, there have been a few teams in the past that have won the stanley cup who were clearly not (on paper anyways) not the best team in the league that year. 

Well that's your issue. That isn't what MLS Cup or the Stanley Cup or the Grey Cup awards. North American trophies award surviving attrition and directly vanquishing competitors over consistency. Think of it more like the WWE Royal Rumble than a marathon.

What about the other cups? World cup, FA cup, Champions league etc,  This isnt exclusively North american, europe does it too.  It shouldnt be some sort of strange concept that people dont get.  We reward the regular season champs, but more value is placed on the playoffs between the best teams at the end of the season.  It isnt always the best team that wins, but if you cant beat the other best teams at the end of the year for whatever reason..you probably dont deserve to be champion.  

Archived