2017 Toronto FC season (aka the 2017 MLS Cup clinching thread)

shermanator

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, technically any team can beat us on any day. We needed an own goal to draw DC who were down a man for more than 45 minutes. That is what is messed up about the MLS playoff system, the finals and knockout round specifically. The worst team may beat the best team but not deserve it. 9 out of 10 times we would beat DC but that game happened to be a part of the 10%. What if that game was MLS Cup? Overall, we would deserve to win but the game was an anomaly. It is different in other North American sports where it is usually a best of 7 series. That anomaly will not matter because the odds are the better team would still win the series. I strongly believe that it is a much better idea to scrap the playoffs and award the MLS Cup to the regular season champions. I feel that the only downfall to this is losing casual fans who only watch the playoffs and finals. However, I think that MLS now has enough dedicated fans to remain stable.

You watched the TFC/Montreal series last year eh?  You want to give that up?  You would rather have the season end with a nil nil draw against Colorado or some other meaningless game??  The quest for the best team and a deserving champion baffles me.  Whats wrong with the champion beating the (supposedly) top contenders in playdowns.  If we cant beat Montreal or Atlanta in the semis with all the marbles on the line, then TFC doesnt deserve the CUP. If Seattle can winkle out a win with almost no offense in the championship game, then they deserve the CUP.  Thats sports, thats whats the best about sports.  You dont win the world cup by being the best in qualifying.  GERMANY has to play BRAZIL, and either they win or lose.  

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

You watched the TFC/Montreal series last year eh?  You want to give that up?  You would rather have the season end with a nil nil draw against Colorado or some other meaningless game??  The quest for the best team and a deserving champion baffles me.  Whats wrong with the champion beating the (supposedly) top contenders in playdowns.  If we cant beat Montreal or Atlanta in the semis with all the marbles on the line, then TFC doesnt deserve the CUP. If Seattle can winkle out a win with almost no offense in the championship game, then they deserve the CUP.  Thats sports, thats whats the best about sports.  You dont win the world cup by being the best in qualifying.  GERMANY has to play BRAZIL, and either they win or lose.  

I agree that the playoffs are extremely exciting and that they produce amazing moments. But getting rid of the playoffs does not mean the end of that atmosphere. That is what the cups are for (eg. Voyageurs Cup, US Open Cup, CCL etc.). One idea that I would strongly support is an US and Canada version of the FA Cup. All teams from MLS, NASL and USL playing in the FA Cup format. The FA Cup has produced amazing moments in the past and a competition like it here in NA (and the ones that already exist like Voyageurs and US Open) could do the same. Let the league be a league and have knockout games in a seperate cup. We would be giving up no excitement while letting the best team over the longest period of time get their glory, rather than have the league decided in a 90 minute toss up.

The challenge of course is to not lose faith, and take it to all rivals, from a TFC perspective. Play your game and not lose control of what is happening. 

Defensive rigour is important, as if you can stay scoreless or drawn, you have the firepower to do something late, more than any other rival (though IMO Villa, not any of the Atlanta strikers, is the best in the league and can break your back at any moment). 

Then, from a TFC perspective, they made a brilliant signing in Victor Vazquéz this year, probably way better than they ever could have imagined. He can make the kind of pass that can break down a tight, closed defense, and then has strikers in front of him who can finish. It is a huge piece for the team and exactly what the Cup final losing TFC needed.

6 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

If Spencer starts tonight I am going to lose my shit.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Hamilton on the bench instead of Spencer. I don't think he was eligible for the LA game since he got a red card in the TFC II game

Is Morgan really that bad that you Vanney would rather not have an extra defender on the bench? And is Cooper really that much better than having Chapman or Hasler instead of Edwards? And for shits sake is Spencer really that much better than Hamilton, the guy is only there for his height and he can't even hit the net with an open header.

Montreal was nowhere close to being as good as the commentators built them up as being. We just played terribly. Gifted them a few goals and one of our goals was scored by them. Only positive from a V's point of view was that it was a good night for Canadian goalscoring. Crappy performance from us regardless.

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Is Morgan really that bad that you Vanney would rather not have an extra defender on the bench? And is Cooper really that much better than having Chapman or Hasler instead of Edwards? And for shits sake is Spencer really that much better than Hamilton, the guy is only there for his height and he can't even hit the net with an open header.

Not sure why the attack on Hasler, who has been excellent & improved the team when he got onto the field tonight - Hasler doesn't even play the same side of the field as Edwards best position so I'm not sure the comparison is valid. Beitashour might have lost his starting spot for a while again based on tonight's performance in comparison to Hasler.

During the TSN radio post game show half the callers as well as Dunfield & Gareth Wheeler were all complaining about playing Spencer ahead of Jordan Hamilton (as you don't have to be a biased die-hard Canuck to appreciate the difference). I hope that Vanney gets grilled by the media for this - I mean, I think the guy is an excellent, underrated coach but when you are down 3 goals in the first half and you leave a player who has proven he can score in this league (in limited minutes) for a guy who hasn't proved that he can score in the division below, it's a truly shocking decision that the media (in most other countries) would not let the coach get away with, especially with the strong whiff of nepotism.

Archived