2017 Toronto FC season (aka the 2017 MLS Cup clinching thread)

shermanator

Wileman was doing Caps home matches the previous weekend and Wednesday which is why Rauter was doing TFC. Curling season has started (first time in August that I can remember) but rest of the tourneys in 18 are mostly on Sportsnet, so Rauter will be doing TFC again if Wileman flys out to do Caps in Vancity. Road games are broadcast out of TSN studios in Canada.

Caldwell has improved from his first broadcasts as he has learned from Wileman. But the problem is that Wileman is a big talker, so he & Caldwell don't allow the game to breathe. A classic Wileman description of action is "xxx player, Jamican international and former Timbers, Crew player, drafted fifth out of Akron just put a leg in that upended...". 

Having homegrown announcers isn't always the right solution. They also babble on since that is the North Ameircan way to broadcast but these former players know less than Caldwell since they didn't grow up surrounded by the sport all the time. Based on the American forums, Fox is the classic example on how to not to do soccer with Friedel, Wylanda & Lalas (though he is better in studio) as analysts talking nonsense a lot of the time. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, red card said:

Caldwell has improved from his first broadcasts as he has learned from Wileman. But the problem is that Wileman is a big talker, so he & Caldwell don't allow the game to breathe. A classic Wileman description of action is "xxx player, Jamican international and former Timbers, Crew player, drafted fifth out of Akron just put a leg in that upended...". 

Just let Wileman call the game solo. 

That Fox thing with three guys in the booth is brutal.  There's not enough oxygen in the booth for those guys to share air time.

Most matches, I mute the TV and watch the play develop and then, via pvr, replay a key moment in a particular sequence, and that's how I enjoy the games.

18 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Based on tonight's telecast, it's the camera work that needs the most improvement, not the play by play. Even with the replays we didn't see the full play from start to finish on what ended up being the winning goal

What was going on with the camerawork on Jozy's goal? Was there ever any explanation of what happened? Of all the times for a camera meltdown.

47 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

What was going on with the camerawork on Jozy's goal? Was there ever any explanation of what happened? Of all the times for a camera meltdown.

Probably the same guy that painted the lines at the big O last year

50 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

I think both the camera-man and the director were asleep on the play. Not sure if it is ESPN or TSN to blame here as both had the same feed.

6 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I think both the camera-man and the director were asleep on the play. Not sure if it is ESPN or TSN to blame here as both had the same feed.

Its weird because it was fine during the build up on our side and then the camera stopped panning right when it was focused on half. Is it possible that it got stuck? There is also a faint possibility that the cameraman had a medical emergency and fainted.

4 hours ago, Jith12 said:

Its weird because it was fine during the build up on our side and then the camera stopped panning right when it was focused on half. Is it possible that it got stuck? There is also a faint possibility that the cameraman had a medical emergency and fainted.

The cameraman must have recovered pretty quickly from his fainting if that was the case - although I like the use of "faint possibility" in this context of someone fainting.

Camera lost track of the ball; Alseth was standing at touch a bit downfield and I don't think the camera knew whether he had the ball or if Vazquez did.

Alseth did this a couple of times during the game to confuse Montreal as to who was taking the throw.  Ref warned him back onto the pitch the next time he did it.

5 minutes ago, paul-collins said:

Camera lost track of the ball; Alseth was standing at touch a bit downfield and I don't think the camera knew whether he had the ball or if Vazquez did.

Alseth did this a couple of times during the game to confuse Montreal as to who was taking the throw.  Ref warned him back onto the pitch the next time he did it.

I take it you mean Hasler? Alseth didn't play against Montreal

3 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

The great thing about this team is that they are showing the rest of the league how you can get to a Liga MX standard of play while still working under the salary cap constraints. Hopefully some of the other clubs take on this challenge. 

Or not so that we keep winning ?

They had 72% possession last night.  Thats phenomenal.  The ball possesion stats in soccer (to me) have always looked understated.   I have seen matches where i thought that one side dominated possession the whole game and then you see that the final stats say something 54% or 56%.   So when you see 72%, thats something. 

I would really love to see "possession in the offensive half" stats. Who cares if you can pass it around your own half with 5 players and only 3 checkers? How long can you keep it in the opponents half? I think TFC would still be very high in that regard. 

3-5-2 really pressured SJ esp when high press against TFC defenders didn't work and Bradley and Delgado protecting the defence. The wingbacks pretty much stayed on SJ side of the pitch most of the field and creating overlaps that SJ couldn't deal with properly.

Some stats....

Passing Accuracy

Completed passes as a percentage of total passes attempted.

Week 27 Ranking Player (Club) Passing Accuracy (min. 30 passes)
1 Michael Bradley (TOR) 96.15%
2 Jonathan Osorio (TOR) 95.08%
3 Justin Morrow (TOR) 94.44%

Touches

A sum of all events which involve a player touching the ball.

Week 27 Ranking Player (Club) Touches
1 Michael Bradley (TOR) 137
2 Victor Vazquez (TOR) 131
3 Chris Mavinga (TOR) 112

Chances created

The final pass or pass before a shot leading to the recipient of the ball having an attempt at goal without scoring.

Week 27 Ranking Player (Club) Chances created
T-1 2 players tied (Steven Beitashour, Joao Plata) 7
T-3 2 players tied (Miguel Almiron, Victor Vazquez) 5

From https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/09/11/who-were-top-statistical-performers-mls-week-27

^

Saturday's game was perhaps the most undramatic and one-sided games I've ever seen played at BMO, but part of it has to go down to how incredibly poor San Jose was on the night. The fact that 3 TFC players led the league for both passing accuracy (one of whom was Justin Morrow, not really known for being a possession-oriented player) and touches shows that SJ let Toronto have way too much of the ball. I agree with the commentary from Caldwell that SJ seemed to have no will to win, and other than Urena, little will to even compete.

The teams that give them trouble are those that put all their men behind the ball and retreat to protect the box and thus leaving little space in the final third.  Colorado did that and somehow managed to get a draw at BMO field, even DCU somehow managed to steal points from TFC this way.   Seems like that was san jose intent, but i have to concur that their effort/intensity overall was very poor.

Archived