Toronto CPL

madmonte

39 minutes ago, shorty said:

Just a thought from a west coast transplanted Ontarian:

If the end goal is a thriving national league or pyramid of leagues, surely the GTA would have many clubs, as do major cities in other leagues around the world. To facilitate that end, and to sidestep confrontation with TFC, wouldn't it make sense to start with two CPL clubs (or more) that do not represent "Toronto" as a whole, but defined communities and/or pre-existing clubs in the GTA, like Mississauga or Brampton or Scarborough, etc. It's like how the first two people to line up at the buffet table or at a ticket window unwittingly establish the "rules" that everyone else will follow. A single Toronto CPL team sends the message that the city is already represented. Two would send the message to other communities that they can do it as well. I would love to see Ottawa, where I grew up, eventually represented by pro clubs at the top of existing clubs with roots, the way we see in other countries: Gloucester SC (formerly Hornets), Nepean Hotspur, Lynwood, Ottawa Internationals, etc.

I see risks as well with this idea, but I worry about a Canadian mentality of thinking too small, and too pessimistically. Pragmatic is good, but you still need to keep a long term vision in mind. 

What do you think?

I know the conversation has been focused on the Toronto city proper in this thread, but I think almost everybody here would agree that a team in the western GTA burbs would be a huge goal for CPL by at least year 5.

On 2017-5-16 at 7:41 PM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Prefer the old vector with the new colour.

Every time I look at the old version, I see a mangy old tiny chicken being carried in the bird's mouth.

An updated version of the detailing on the old one would look nice though, one which puts some detail into the middle portion but with the more modern style brushstrokes.

Having said that, I don't think the new one looks bad. In fact it looks great. Just spitballing extra ideas.

I was thinking how nearly every possible stadium that's currently available and being used for L1O in Toronto has a running track and/or needs a serious upgrade.

Varsity, Lamport, York, Esther Shiner, Monarch Park, Birchmount, Centennial.

I have my preferences for which of those I'd love to see for the short term, but got to say that none of those stadiums really screams major leagues division 1. Still, all this is really awesome news overall, we'll let the money guys figure out what they want to do lol.

For long-term though, there are some really good locations that Ansem has discussed in this thread for sure, such as Port Lands. I'm not sure how Downsview would work since TFC is already in there, but that would be a good location as well.

And actually, a pop-up at Downsview or somewhere similar would be awesome as well for the short-term.

Edited by ironcub14

2 hours ago, tovan1 said:

Plenty of space at Woodbine Racetrack. A stadium there would be a nice community amenity to include in their redevelopment plans.  Who knows maybe they are one of the interested groups? 

Too far and the plans presented at city hall don't include a stadium 

I just saw Rob Ditta, who's been really vocal on twitter, which is awesome, created a fb group for Mississauga CPL supporters a few days ago as well! I totally see the massive cooperation and yet friendly rivalry that will be brewing between the Toronto, Ssauga, Hamilton CPL groups and etc, as well as the TFC SGs.

This is all some really exciting times for real.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/274775932985540

Hey Matty and the other folks who were at the first meeting, just a quick heads up for you guys that the facebook group is up to almost 40 people at the moment, and there has been a couple questions about the name again. I wasn't on ths V's thread for awhile and I won't be able to attend the meetings for the time being due to family, so I know I can't make too strong of any suggestions, but I would quickly suggest that the group name could possibly be tweaked a bit just to provide a bit more general appeal to a wider audience.

I totally get the reasoning behind the name, but I do think CPL in Toronto is a massive project with the need for a lot of hands on deck, and that more and more people will get involved for sure very soon, I'm sure there will be lots more coming out to the meetings. There's a lot of interest in CPL from Toronto supporters on facebook and twitter as well, and the word is definitely getting out there fast, which is fantastic news overall. Cheers.

Edited by ironcub14

7 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

Hey Matty and the other folks who were at the first meeting, just a quick heads up for you guys that the facebook group is up to almost 40 people at the moment, and there has been a couple questions about the name again. I wasn't on ths V's thread for awhile and I won't be able to attend the meetings for the time being due to family, so I know I can't make too strong of any suggestions, but I would quickly suggest that the group name could possibly be tweaked a bit just to provide a bit more general appeal to a wider audience.

I totally get the reasoning behind the name, but I do think CPL in Toronto is a massive project with the need for a lot of hands on deck, and that more and more people will get involved for sure very soon, I'm sure there will be lots more coming out to the meetings. There's a lot of interest in CPL from Toronto supporters on facebook and twitter as well, and the word is definitely getting out there fast, which is fantastic news overall. Cheers.

Awesome about the numbers and God.....the naming traditionalists who can't accept something that doesn't resemble Red Patch Boys are gonna kill me lol.