Whitecaps 2017 Season

TRM

Good result this evening, and some positive indications of what this team might be able to do. Midfield was much more dynamic tonight. Lots of chances, and they actually banged in FOUR. Need to tidy some stuff up yet, but everyone in MLS is still playing sloppy football this early into the season.  

Techera looked very good. Bola is the boss (and he's still not 100% match fit). Montero linked up nicely with those two guys. Davies was great in the first half going both directions, a bit quieter on offense in the second. But he is learning the game fast, and has poise at the age of 16 that Manneh has yet to show. (Just saying). Was actually pleased with Jacobson, and Laba had a beast of a game. Too early to assess Tchani, but let's see how he adjusts to playing the Caps' system. He certainly covers a lot of ground. The game today seemed more about a willingness to get guys like Laba and Jacobson further up the pitch than anything else. Oh, and the foul on Davies in the first half was a clear penalty. But I like what I am seeing from the kid. Oh, and he wants to play for Canada!!

Let's see how they build on this. They've played fairly well when they've had 11 men on the pitch thus far. Something to build on.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

From a casual fan's standpoint that must have been an entertaining game:  wide open play, clown college mistakes, brilliant pieces of skill, the home team wins. 

The Galaxy games at B.C. Place always seem to be good. Helps that the Galaxy are still a prestige brand that get the fans out despite not really being a prestige squad any more.

4 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

The Galaxy games at B.C. Place always seem to be good. Helps that the Galaxy are still a prestige brand that get the fans out despite not really being a prestige squad any more.

They might not have name prestige but they do have some pieces in place that will cause problems for opponents as the season progresses.  The flanks, especially Alessandrini, looked the business out there.  They might have room to bring in another name attacker presence later on (or MLS finds a way to make room for them to do so).

Matias Laba, Goal Scoring Machine!!!!!! Loved the way that he and Jacobson alternated going forward. That is what works for offence and I'm surprised we haven't seen more of it. 

Now that was a fun game to watch. I do love the way we can maintain possession with all these Latin players on the pitch. Montero will never be as fast as others but his shots are on target and cause havoc. He makes up for a lack of speed by anticipating correctly where and when other players will turn and pass. 

Techera had a whale of a game. Davies fits in so well with this bunch that I'm in awe. Our hole at RB seems to be filled and last night we capitalized on other team's mistakes. 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Anywhere I can find a whole version of this game, I really want to watch the 2nd half full, start to finish?

I know mlssoccer.com sometimes puts up the entire games via their streaming website.  Might want to ask a southsider as if you play for MLS Live, you can re-watch certaim MLS games. Maybe someone here PVR'd it. If you have cable, sometimes TSN puts a replay of MLS games on the TSN 2 through 5 channels

4 hours ago, TRM said:

Now that was a fun game to watch. I do love the way we can maintain possession with all these Latin players on the pitch.

There were times last season where the same number of Latin players were on the pitch and the team still played like a low tier English league team (long ball punted up the field).  But last night they got things right.

48 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

There were times last season where the same number of Latin players were on the pitch and the team still played like a low tier English league team (long ball punted up the field).  But last night they got things right.

Yeah, there were lots of all-Latino lineups last year that looked absolutely terrible. The new additions this year are Davies and Montero, hopefully they can make a difference.

Just now, TRM said:

Orange ball time in RSL land. pitch is white to start the second half.

LOL, grounds crew out shovelling the lines again!

The climate in Europe is so ridiculously mild! So few games with this much snow in their seasons and this game is in April! The Bernabéu stadium in Madrid is at the SAME LATITUDE as RSL's Rio Tinto stadium.

So I think the logic for the Whitecaps loss is as follows. Whitecaps hate Canada. Canada has lots of snow. It snowed a lot tonight. Whitecaps hated playing tonight. Something something 3-0 loss.

But in all seriousness, 6 inches of snow or not, the Whitecaps backline played like a dumpster fire in the second half. I will say that Nierwinski looked pretty good at RB. De Jong really hasn't shown that he is MLS quality during his time with the Whitecaps. I thought Teibert was decent, thought he pushed a little more up the park tonight, unsuccessfully of course.

Marcel has had games where he came close to season highs league wide for tackles and breaking plays up. It was like having 2 Laba's on the field. He was very rusty tonight and it showed.

The whole 3-5-2 was a bad idea but worth trying. Dean was awful, Waston was poor and Parker seems to be the best of the CBs. Hopefully Edgar can get healthy and reclaim is old form.

22 hours ago, TRM said:

Marcel has had games where he came close to season highs league wide for tackles and breaking plays up. It was like having 2 Laba's on the field. He was very rusty tonight and it showed.

The whole 3-5-2 was a bad idea but worth trying. Dean was awful, Waston was poor and Parker seems to be the best of the CBs. Hopefully Edgar can get healthy and reclaim is old form.

Yeah, I question going with a 3-5-2 under such conditions. Why ask a bunch of guys who'd not played a lot of minutes to learn a new system on the road.  I would have kept things simple. Play a 4-2-3-1 as they normally do, stay compact, maybe nick a goal on the counter. 

Anybody else glad that the CCL endeavor is over, and now the team can focus on finding chemistry and consistency? This is a tired and beat up team, and we are only a few games into the season.  I think all of these games will bode well later in the season, but we need to get healthy.  

Parker is the man! Waston looked dead tired, and he should be considering all the minutes he has played the last few weeks with the Caps and Costa Rica. Dean looked poor AND deadly slow.  Nerwinski looked damned good: fearless, fast, and not bad technique. I think they've got an excellent prospect there.  Really wish they'd played Bustos for 30 or 35 minutes. Give Montero a rest, put Mezquida up top.

The team needs to reset, get healthy, then see if they can build momentum through the spring and summer.

Oh, and Bola is the man! Laba is looking much better this year already. And so is Techera. Davies looked dead tired against Tigres--because he was--but maybe he and Nerwinski can take turns on one wing. Montero will start scoring, and soon. Tchani did not look fully game-fit, and I've not yet seen him take control of the middle of the park.  Fingers crossed that he comes around. 

Hell of a game and best of all we win it 2-1. Montero with the 2 goals. I swear that good strikers just KNOW where the ball will be. It is an instinct they develop that others don't. Corner kicks for Seattle he clears at least 3 with headers and scores 2 for us with headers. Kills his old team.

Badly needed 3 points for the Caps as we are struggling. Ousted with big saves and defenders with clearances off the line, Dempsey hitting the crossbar and post. Whale of a game.

Next week will be a huge test. Conf leading Portland at Portland.

Montero is a class poacher. We need more upfront though. He works better behind a target man imo.  

Still not seeing a whole lot in Williams. Think he is lightweight and insecure in defence. Some horrific marking at times. Might still be better defensively than both Aird and Smith but hasn't shown that definitively on par going forward. 

Our midfield still looks powderpuff at times in the middle and clueless on the ball. Hopefully tchatchi comes in and sorts this for us. Still don't see where the creativity would come from in the middle.

Davies continues to be a stud. 

7 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Still not seeing a whole lot in Williams. Think he is lightweight and insecure in defence. Some horrific marking at times. Might still be better defensively than both Aird and Smith but hasn't shown that definitively on par going forward. 

If Aird had the games that Williams did, there would be cries to get him out of the lineup. Oh wait....

My biggest concern with Robbo is his lineup management. I don't think he puts some of his key players in their best positions. Aird was clearly a right mid, not a defender. Teibert is not a good holding mid (he's better when he's allowed to go forward as he was tonite). Isolating his forwards who don't play well when isolated. Manneh at right mid. Hope this changes.

6 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

If Aird had the games that Williams did, there would be cries to get him out of the lineup. Oh wait....

Wiliams is having the best games from a right back the 'caps have seen in years. Really don't know what you are seeing to make you think differently. Teibert/Jacobsen and Harvey are the weak links right now in terms of players.

10 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

Williams is better defensively than either of the other 2 they tried last year. Losing Steve put a huge hole in our RB. While I don't think Williams will be our long term RB he is clearly better at defending than the previous 2.

Archived