Whitecaps 2017 Season

TRM

Caps were under siege for most of the first half, but as they've done many times already this year, they came out much better in the second and took the game to NYCFC. That sort of character will serve them well through the middle and latter parts of the season, and into the playoffs. After the first half I was ready to join the ranks of those calling for Robbo to be replaced.  But you cannot deny the result, and Robbo should take some credit for the win.

Nerwinski had a very good game, and his composure on the cross to Reyna for the winner was impressive. Still a young man, but he has wheels and audacity and is strong like Parker (not AS strong, but similar). If he can learn the game, he will become a solid right back. Glad Montero got his goal. He works his ass off all game, and almost turned provider on at least one excellent occasion. 

This team, to state the obvious, is SO much better with Waston in the lineup.

Tchani is the weak link, for sure. He had good moments, to be fair, but he will have a tough time getting into the lineup now that the team is nearly fully fit.

Agree with Jeffrey that Tchera worked his ass off again, that Bola does not look fully fit yet and that the officiating was ass-balls.

Now that the team is nearly fully fit, I wonder what the ideal starting 11 will look like:

Ousted

Nerwinski  Waston Parker Harvey

Labba

Tchera Reyna Bola Davies

Montero

That would be a pretty electric front 5. 

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry I cant help it. This is for all you people complaining about how Carl Robinson didn't bring in any offensive players to help out the Caps. Montero, Shea, Reyna.... $3 million for all three. Robinson is not nearly as bad as you claim him to be. 

Great win by the Caps. Good to see that fight. Now that we are finally healthy it would be really nice to go on a win streak... It would be nice to see Davies break out too...

5 hours ago, The Beaver said:

This team, to state the obvious, is SO much better with Waston in the lineup.

He did a good job on Villa, stepping up to close him down as he received passes with his back to goal.

However, as much as I thought it was an entertaining game in the second half, both these teams had a lot of defensive breakdowns, with guys completely unmarked.  Makes for excitement, for sure.

2 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Sorry I cant help it. This is for all you people complaining about how Carl Robinson didn't bring in any offensive players to help out the Caps. Montero, Shea, Reyna.... $3 million for all three. Robinson is not nearly as bad as you claim him to be. 

But can he coach them?  Can he make them into a cohesive, interplaying unit as opposed to what we have seen most of the time, which is some individual piece of brilliance that translates into a goal.  For me, the jury is still out on that one.

If over the course of the second half of this season the Caps change into that cohesive unit on a consistent basis, then I'll change my opinion.

11 hours ago, The Beaver said:

Now that the team is nearly fully fit, I wonder what the ideal starting 11 will look like:

--------------Ousted
Nerwinski  Waston Parker Harvey
---------------Labba
Tchera Reyna Bola Davies
--------------Montero

That would be a pretty electric front 5. 

I'll take Williams over Nerwinski but other than that I'd love to see it. Expect Shea to get the starts on the left and Davies to come in for his 30 minutes of high octane work as a sub.

19 hours ago, jonovision said:

I'm not normally inclined to watch MLS matches with no Canadians involved but I tuned in for the 2nd half of this one and was entertained greatly. The first time in a long time I've seen some attractive football out of the Whitecaps.

Good timing on your part to miss the first half. Twasn't pretty. Reyna really changed the game. He and Davies will be a total handful for other teams to deal with when they are on the field together.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Based upon how Robbo likes to use his striker up top, they might want to consider finding a way to sign this Canadian guy named Cavallini sooner than later.

When he was down in Uruguay scouting I was hoping he would snag Cavalini. He fits the 4-5-1 lone striker that Robbo lives by. Imagine Cav with Montero, Reyna & Davies for the 3 attackers to work with.

53 minutes ago, TRM said:

When he was down in Uruguay scouting I was hoping he would snag Cavalini. He fits the 4-5-1 lone striker that Robbo lives by. Imagine Cav with Montero, Reyna & Davies for the 3 attackers to work with.

He has built upon the skill set he showed at the Olympic qualifiers five years ago and I think he would do really well in MLS.

• 2 weeks later...

A very good road game by the Caps to beat LA 1-0 thanks to some Ousted saves (MOTM). Tchani actually looked pretty good and only muffed one pass tonight. His header won the game. With 2 games in hand on everyone except Dallas this is looking good.

LA just totally suck this year. Wow. How far they have fallen. Trying to move a lot of their USL players to MLS just isn't clicking yet and their CBs are slower than the second coming.

5 hours ago, toontownman said:

At the risk of being burned at the stake. Is ousted not eligible for citizenship next year? 

He played for Denmark's U19 squad so might still be eligible. He's 32 but keepers age better than other positions. Something for OZ to keep in mind.

4 hours ago, shamrock said:

I don't get how Caps are developing a similar nation (New Zealand) instead of their own. That just boggles the mind. 

They are developing lots of Canadians but at the club level your coach will always go with the players that will help him keep his job. The coach will always go with the best player he can find and afford regardless of nationality.

As to developing the New Zealand keeper, he's playing for them in the Confed Cup so I'd say his development was done long before the Caps signed him. If he can take the spot he will be taking it from Richey so no loss there unless you count Richey as CMNT eligible.

Your mind boggles too easily   :)

10 hours ago, TRM said:

LA just totally suck this year. Wow. How far they have fallen. Trying to move a lot of their USL players to MLS just isn't clicking yet and their CBs are slower than the second coming.

What helps the Caps this season is that the teams behind them in the conference are pretty poor, not just LA. 

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

What helps the Caps this season is that the teams behind them in the conference are pretty poor, not just LA. 

True. We just need to keep taking max points off them and not give away points to teams like DC & Minnesota. Hopefully we are over that.

Embarrassing match. When your best player on the day is Andrew Jacobson you're in for a world of hurt. What's the point of us even playing a striker if the rest of our attack consistently wants to shoot from 20 yards out and can't deliver a cross correctly?

I'm ready to see Yordy Reyna start, and the team flows much better with Shea's ability to play both ways. Start Shea and bring him off for Davies in the 60'.

Well that sucks royally. Portland down 2 starter to red cards, 4 more to Gold Cup callups plus so many injuries they only brought 16 players including some from the USL P2 team and they win 2-1.

We keep dropping points to teams we should be taking 3 off of and pretty soon we'll be out of the playoffs.

Full squad (minus Waston) and we can't win at home against a B+ team doing a bunker and counter.

Archived