Whitecaps 2017 Season

TRM

Wow, the Caps are out of the gates with a massive number of key injuries. They are going to have to grind out results against NYRB, because there will not be a lot of creative options down the middle. Hopefully Davies and Manneh will bounce one in off off Hurtado, because the lad has no real ability to actually put it in the net on his own.  Well, this is a great chance for the workaday soldiers to learn how to defend effectively. Yeah, maybe Bustos will get a chance in the middle, but I would say his days with the Caps are numbered. He is a good technical player, but not an athlete, and he is playing in a league that is more athletic than it is technical.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, shermanator said:

IMO, the injury to Reyna means it's Bustos' time to sink or swim with the first team. I thought he was the best played on WFC2 in 2015, but I didn't see much of the same in 2016.

Wow, this might mean a Canadian MLS team starts with potentially two Canadians. A landmark day.

Probably forward for Shea as the revolving door at that position keeps spinning. Same role position as Barnes but maybe different results? Seems to be the way they are doing things. They just keep the same formation and strategy and keep changing players hoping to get it right.

35 minutes ago, kmouseyc said:

sort of confusing trade. Must have something to do with salary cap. I will leave that to the math wizards.

Both are overpaid but they save 150K on Shea compared to Barnes. One would assume they are going to make a significant striker signing soon after making this trade. Shea still seems like a downgrade from Barnes and not sure how he will fit into the Caps lineup but even if they signed a number 1 striker Barnes can play secondary striker or on the wing and could still be a good player with the right teammates and formation. Shea just seems to be a mediocre defensively solid but unspectacular MLS midfielder. I would assume Barnes probably has a green card now so probably does not free a international spot either but someone can correct me if I am wrong. Maybe they needed the extra 150k for whoever they are going to sign or maybe there are other moves coming but I also don't understand this move. The last couple of years the Caps management has done a lot of questionable moves and seem to be turning into the TFC of old.

Maybe Barnes just wanted out and this is this best they could get. We know Owen Coyle tried to bring him in, but didn't get the go ahead. Shea doesn't fit anywhere logically, but he is versatile and skilled. Kind of an Ichabod Crane version of Teibert. If you don't think of him as a cost of 500k but a savings of 200k you could see how they might rationalize it.  Not agreeing with this line of thought, just trying to understand the logic like most others seem to be.  The counter to that, though, is why not just let Barnes go on a mutual agreement and free up 700k instead of 200k plus a half million dollar utility player? They must have some plan for Shea. ?

26 minutes ago, shorty said:

Maybe Barnes just wanted out and this is this best they could get. We know Owen Coyle tried to bring him in, but didn't get the go ahead. Shea doesn't fit anywhere logically, but he is versatile and skilled. Kind of an Ichabod Crane version of Teibert. If you don't think of him as a cost of 500k but a savings of 200k you could see how they might rationalize it.  Not agreeing with this line of thought, just trying to understand the logic like most others seem to be.  The counter to that, though, is why not just let Barnes go on a mutual agreement and free up 700k instead of 200k plus a half million dollar utility player? They must have some plan for Shea. ?

yeah and Brek does like to play physical so if by some miracle the caps can get some leads may be he can be stronger in the midfield. He is very athletic. He really is just a versatile utility player with a bit better than average mls skills.

May be Robbo will show off some coaching genius and create a whole new formation. Anything is possible

8 hours ago, shorty said:

Where is Barnes going to go? The Whitecaps were offering him to Blackburn on a free.

On 25/02/2017 at 6:59 PM, TRM said:

Freddy up top and Brek in the centre of the midfield as an attacking mid/forward? Heaven forbid should we not play the 4-5-1 ... :(

They've looked like they've been playing 5-5-0 for the last three years.  First Blaz Perez and now Brek Shea?  Who's the next player I can't stand that they're going to sign?  

I'll simplify this for you Robbo:  Round thing goes in net.  Need striker with at least one good foot.  I'd settle for a pirate with a  wooden leg if he could pop a couple of goals.

Archived