Whitecaps 2017 Season

TRM

20 hours ago, TRM said:

That's an interesting choice. Is he available?

I only hope that if / when the Caps decide to change they don't end up in flail mode again like they did last time. Robbo had one very good year but overall a very average record.

Boro just let him go, he took them from League One to EPL, but they've struggled the past 2 months and have slipped into relegation zone. I think, actually, it was some mutual agreement. 

BTW, Karanka has MLS experience, he retired ten years ago at Colorado.

Another Spanish coach I have always liked is Raul Agné, who was just let go by Zaragoza, another who is technically very sound, young, modern and would probably thrive in MLS. 

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just bumped into Bustos this afternoon--he works out at the same gym as I do--and had a nice chat. As one would expect, he is keen to see some playing time with the first team and is determined to keep his head down and keep working his ass off. Solid young man, good attitude, and determined to play first team football! He's a good six inches shorter than I am, but he's stocky as hell. I think he's been beefing up a bit, which'll help him in a very physical league like MLS. He had a good time in Scotland, said the Scots fielded a stronger team than was initially expected. He knows full well that his best position is in the hole behind the top striker, and he says that Robbo knows this too. Only challenge, in my mind, is that Reyna, Mezquida, and maybe even Montero, slot into that position. I hope he finds the pitch soon, and has some good success, whether that is with the Caps or not. Increasingly I feel that he needs to play with a different set-up. 

9 hours ago, The Beaver said:

Just bumped into Bustos this afternoon--he works out at the same gym as I do--and had a nice chat. As one would expect, he is keen to see some playing time with the first team and is determined to keep his head down and keep working his ass off. Solid young man, good attitude, and determined to play first team football! He's a good six inches shorter than I am, but he's stocky as hell. I think he's been beefing up a bit, which'll help him in a very physical league like MLS. He had a good time in Scotland, said the Scots fielded a stronger team than was initially expected. He knows full well that his best position is in the hole behind the top striker, and he says that Robbo knows this too. Only challenge, in my mind, is that Reyna, Mezquida, and maybe even Montero, slot into that position. I hope he finds the pitch soon, and has some good success, whether that is with the Caps or not. Increasingly I feel that he needs to play with a different set-up. 

It seems Vancouver don't play a formation that suits that position.  He was decent behind the lone striker in a 4-4-1-1 but Vancouver doesn't play with a man in the hole behind the striker because in their formation there really isn't a "hole" to be had and operate in.  

I'm kind of surprised that he hasn't been able to adapt to a wing position which is where he would be most likely to break in.  If he can't adjust to the wing how is he going to have a future?  Look at Kyle Bekker.. 

6 hours ago, Keegan said:

It seems Vancouver don't play a formation that suits that position.  He was decent behind the lone striker in a 4-4-1-1 but Vancouver doesn't play with a man in the hole behind the striker because in their formation there really isn't a "hole" to be had and operate in.  

I'm kind of surprised that he hasn't been able to adapt to a wing position which is where he would be most likely to break in.  If he can't adjust to the wing how is he going to have a future?  Look at Kyle Bekker.. 

You're right, they don't really play the best formation for Bustos. Robbo has tried him on the wing, but Bustos just does not have the wheels to play out there. If he was a bit more tucked in, then maybe...

Caps just traded Manneh to Columbus for Tony Tchani and 300K in allocation money.  I think this is a great move for a number of reasons, the biggest being that the Caps desperately need a box-to-box midfielder like Tchani, the very general in the mid-field that they've been missing.  

My guess is that this means that Atiba will NOT be coming to Vancouver now.

49 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

Caps just traded Manneh to Columbus for Tony Tchani and 300K in allocation money.  I think this is a great move for a number of reasons, the biggest being that the Caps desperately need a box-to-box midfielder like Tchani, the very general in the mid-field that they've been missing.  

My guess is that this means that Atiba will NOT be coming to Vancouver now.

IMO they never properly addressed replacing Koffie, who I felt was the best, most complementary partner for Laba.  Hopefully they can actually get good value for the $300 000 they'll spend elsewhere to strengthen the club (probably not a Japanese striker).  Maybe they'll use it to buy another ex-Sounder to join Montero and Morales ;).

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

IMO they never properly addressed replacing Koffie, who I felt was the best, most complementary partner for Laba.

I agree and see very similar attributes in Tchani. I think much like Mattocks, Manneh just never seemed to be improving in the mental side of the game or at least not at a rate that is going to help the caps. Or may be the caps couldn't help them. So to improve your team you need to give up something good or potentially good to get what you need now. Hope that Tchani can be that.

The key about dumping Manneh is to finally do away with a single striker and speed up the wings, usually unconnected. 

It moves us back into a mode where we have to have more ball control, pass through the middle of the park, rather than counter. 

It also eliminates one of our attacking strengths who also came with tactical and defensive liablilities. 

We really need a strong central defender with Edgar out and Waston's rough season last year, IMO. But MLS teams do not usually pay for central defenders, if we do it, I'd be pleased. 

Edit: don't know enough about Tchani to really have an informed opinion.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Edit: don't know enough about Tchani to really have an informed opinion.

He's a big engined, big ranged guy suited to bust plays up around the field.  That's his main job out there.  It allows Laba to concentrate on his defensive duties closer to the central defence and not get sucked out of position running around.

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

Are you serious? The crew just got a whole lot better and the caps continue to dig their own grave.

Listen, I've been watching Manneh for several years now, just waiting and hoping for him to show signs that he will someday become a real footballer--i.e. a smart footballer--rather than just some guy who can run real fast. There have been glimpses along the way, but those seem the exception to the rule with Manneh.

I wanted him to live up to the hype, and maybe Columbus will unlock the footballer in him, but I think this is a very smart move on the part of the Caps, both in terms of moving a player whose contract is done this year AND getting good money AND the right player they need.  

Yes, we've never really replaced what Koffie brought, and Tchani sounds exactly like that guy. A guy that can win the ball anywhere in midfield, who can distribute well, cover a tonne of ground, even score a goal or two.  He makes the middle of the pitch HIS, and with Laba (and sometimes Tiebert) slotting in behind him, it will be a lot harder to play against us now. Throw in a healthy Bolanos, and a fully-fit Montero--and then Reyna--and we should be able to play a style that allows us to build up through the middle AND attack down the flanks (with Techera and Davies). More sophisticated football than the very predictable counter-attack. We can control the ball better--as Jeffrey point out--and can use the counter as but ONE of our tools on the field, not the only one.

To be clear, Tchani is not our saviour. But he is an important piece that was missing, and if he can gel quickly with Bola and Laba and the rest of the attack, then I feel we are stronger today than we were yesterday.

1 hour ago, The Beaver said:

He makes the middle of the pitch HIS, and with Laba (and sometimes Tiebert) slotting in behind him, it will be a lot harder to play against us now.

They had that psyche, especially on the road, in 2015 and we're able to grind out results.  I haven't seen it since.  Maybe it will come back.

1 hour ago, The Beaver said:

Listen, I've been watching Manneh for several years now, just waiting and hoping for him to show signs that he will someday become a real footballer--i.e. a smart footballer--rather than just some guy who can run real fast. There have been glimpses along the way, but those seem the exception to the rule with Manneh.

I wanted him to live up to the hype, and maybe Columbus will unlock the footballer in him, but I think this is a very smart move on the part of the Caps, both in terms of moving a player whose contract is done this year AND getting good money AND the right player they need.  

Yes, we've never really replaced what Koffie brought, and Tchani sounds exactly like that guy. A guy that can win the ball anywhere in midfield, who can distribute well, cover a tonne of ground, even score a goal or two.  He makes the middle of the pitch HIS, and with Laba (and sometimes Tiebert) slotting in behind him, it will be a lot harder to play against us now. Throw in a healthy Bolanos, and a fully-fit Montero--and then Reyna--and we should be able to play a style that allows us to build up through the middle AND attack down the flanks (with Techera and Davies). More sophisticated football than the very predictable counter-attack. We can control the ball better--as Jeffrey point out--and can use the counter as but ONE of our tools on the field, not the only one.

To be clear, Tchani is not our saviour. But he is an important piece that was missing, and if he can gel quickly with Bola and Laba and the rest of the attack, then I feel we are stronger today than we were yesterday.

I hope you are right. I never noticed the TAM and GAM that Vancouver got at the time I posted. That's another advantage, I guess.

So you have your pres-season, talking about everything is perfect and it's gonna be a great season and all, but then one week before season starts you trade you newly acquired striker for a winger, and a couple weeks into the season you trade your strongest winger for a defensive mid. By the looks of it, Robbo is absolutely clueless. One would think you have 90% of your team together BEFORE the start of preseason...

24 minutes ago, shamrock said:

So you have your pres-season, talking about everything is perfect and it's gonna be a great season and all, but then one week before season starts you trade you newly acquired striker for a winger, and a couple weeks into the season you trade your strongest winger for a defensive mid. By the looks of it, Robbo is absolutely clueless. One would think you have 90% of your team together BEFORE the start of preseason...

Current coaching strategy

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

Lots of teams have been adding and moving players already this year, not just the Caps. I know that we are all highly critical of everything Robbo does right now, but we should also be mindful of the facts. Keep in mind, too, that this move happened at the level of head office (with Robbo's input, of course)

Also, I am not convinced that Manneh was the Caps' strongest winger. Davies has had a much better start, both offensively and defensively than Manneh, and there is no way that Manneh is better than Bolanos. No freaking way! Sure, we likely just traded away our fastest guy, but speed without a football brain does not make someone an amazing player. Oh, and the Manneh deal has been in the works for at least 6 weeks, which means the process HAD commenced before the season.

11 hours ago, Obinna said:

I hope you are right. I never noticed the TAM and GAM that Vancouver got at the time I posted. That's another advantage, I guess.

I also hope I am right. I mean, yes, we DO need a general in the midfield, somebody like a Michael Bradley. Tchani is not quite that good, but he plays the right role. And I hope he brings some leadership to the field, because for some reason I feel that we are missing the kind of leader that binds a group together on the pitch. It is usually an experienced guy. Bola might be able to play that role, but the language thing is an issue. Edgar would, for sure.

2 hours ago, The Beaver said:

Lots of teams have been adding and moving players already this year, not just the Caps. I know that we are all highly critical of everything Robbo does right now, but we should also be mindful of the facts. Keep in mind, too, that this move happened at the level of head office (with Robbo's input, of course)

Also, I am not convinced that Manneh was the Caps' strongest winger. Davies has had a much better start, both offensively and defensively than Manneh, and there is no way that Manneh is better than Bolanos. No freaking way! Sure, we likely just traded away our fastest guy, but speed without a football brain does not make someone an amazing player. Oh, and the Manneh deal has been in the works for at least 6 weeks, which means the process HAD commenced before the season.

I haven't been critical of Rocco at all until now.

There can be reasons to ad the odd player late to the team, but 2 KEY-players? What's the purpose of having a preseason then?

I also hope I am right. I mean, yes, we DO need a general in the midfield, somebody like a Michael Bradley. Tchani is not quite that good, but he plays the right role. And I hope he brings some leadership to the field, because for some reason I feel that we are missing the kind of leader that binds a group together on the pitch. It is usually an experienced guy. Bola might be able to play that role, but the language thing is an issue. Edgar would, for sure.

I agree that Vancouver has been missing that since Koffie, but they probably could have given up Shea for Tchani.

I was very surprised they gave up Manneh. He is a 22 year old winger who's had USMNT involvement. Has scored and created goals. Has 3 years of MLS experience (if I am not mistaken). It just seemed like an odd player to give up but like I said, the allocation money they are getting is a big part of the picture.

I guess I'll wait to see who the caps bring in before I deem this a bad move. With Edgar out, it may just be a starting quality centre back. Could be a right back even.

I agree though that the rest of the world has a cutoff for signings, and they get their acts together in preseason and go with it. In MLS it is a huge cop-out, they don't do the work, so they really do not have a proper preseason, which is about taking those players and making them work. And then they are not ready and the league is a crap shoot. I find it rather unappealing as a fan, it is boring too. Way better to see a team nearly ready day one, doing things the coach has actually thought about and worked on, and then honing them in the first quarter of the season. 

Rarely in world football does a mid-season signing, like with the winter window in Europe, have a big impact on a team. Following Barça I can remember just one case only where it really helped, Edgar Davids, who came in January the season Ronaldinho started and was great. But that is very rare, the majority of cases are wastes of time. 

Okay, in MLS this is not the case as you can find a key player midseason, since transfer windows are open, and they sign out of contract senior Europeans, like Schweinsteiger just now. But still, as Shamrock rightly says, it is a sign of a coach who is incompetent. Especially in this case, as doing away with Manneh means essentially altering the basic mode of play of the team. 

I don't think he'll be able to make it work as he does not how to coach midfield possession and any sort of remotely modern attacking options.

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I agree though that the rest of the world has a cutoff for signings, and they get their acts together in preseason and go with it. In MLS it is a huge cop-out, they don't do the work, so they really do not have a proper preseason, which is about taking those players and making them work. And then they are not ready and the league is a crap shoot. I find it rather unappealing as a fan, it is boring too. Way better to see a team nearly ready day one, doing things the coach has actually thought about and worked on, and then honing them in the first quarter of the season. 

Rarely in world football does a mid-season signing, like with the winter window in Europe, have a big impact on a team. Following Barça I can remember just one case only where it really helped, Edgar Davids, who came in January the season Ronaldinho started and was great. But that is very rare, the majority of cases are wastes of time. 

Okay, in MLS this is not the case as you can find a key player midseason, since transfer windows are open, and they sign out of contract senior Europeans, like Schweinsteiger just now. But still, as Shamrock rightly says, it is a sign of a coach who is incompetent. Especially in this case, as doing away with Manneh means essentially altering the basic mode of play of the team. 

I don't think he'll be able to make it work as he does not how to coach midfield possession and any sort of remotely modern attacking options.

All good points, and I must admit that I remain skeptical about Robbo's ability to make any of this work. But I am keeping an open mind, especially when the poor duffer DID try to find a better replacement for Morales--i.e. Reyna--only to see that piece get injured in pre-season. I do not feel that this move with Manneh is a rash one by any means, especially when the player they got is indeed an important part of what they need. Of all the moves Robbo and the Caps have made thus far, the only one that has me--for the moment--seriously doubting their decision-making is bringing Shea into the fold.  I would have much rather kept Barnes, to be frank.  

The team did not gel at all last year. There were two or three games toward the middle--or a bit later--where I thought they just might be finding their groove, but it did not stick. They need to find chemistry, and fast. To do so, they need to stop taking stupid red cards. And they need to get everybody healthy and fully fit.  The next five games will tell us if this squad can find their mojo. I remain hopeful...

Archived