Whitecaps 2017 Season

TRM

May as well get it started. We are 2 games into our Wales tour against U23 teams and getting up to fitness levels etc. From the limited highlights I've seen Alphonso is just rocking away. I'm beginning to get the feeling he may be the replacement for Morales.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They beat the Oxford Utd development team 4-0 yesterday, play looked good, pitch was nice. 

Still, I find it incredible that you could argue that playing these reserve sides is better than teams that are truly competitive and on form. In any case, it is going to have to build over the whole month until the Concacaf match in NYC, which we have to be very tough for.

I've noticed that Daniel Lovitz is trialing with the Whitecaps. Just watch the Whitecaps sign him and relegate Davies to the sidelines. Of course, I'm 95% joking and 5% nervous that they will actually do that.

Really looking forward to seeing what Davies does in his first full year with the first team. Does Robinson use him off the bench and as an occasional starter? Or does he pull back a little and let him continue to ease in to the first team? Outside of Davies, there's not much reason to get excited about the Whitecaps from a CanCon point of view, although it's rosier than it was this time last year. I hope Teibert can get his career back on track and that de Jong can get regular minutes, and that Bustos can get more than a few sub appearances. Don't know if that will happen, though.

Interesting tidbits from robinson interview following oxford game regarding Davies..

1. He says they are still working out his best fit.. including the option of cutting in from wing (as a false 10/inverted winger I suppose?) It looks to me like that's kinda how he's been playing at times in the last two games - and actually if you look at his edmonton day highlights and reviewing games last year when he played right wing he often comes in with the ball in this way and looks very comfortable to loose a few defenders en route then play a good ball up other wing, through to striker, or take on a long bomb himself (once he gets his left foot sorted this may be a better option - unless he can get a deflection every time like skc gave him ;))

2. And Robo says he is basically fighting manneh and techera for a starting spot.. interesting no mention of barnes or bola..

1 hour ago, miel de maple said:

Interesting tidbits from robinson interview following oxford game regarding Davies..

1. He says they are still working out his best fit.. including the option of cutting in from wing (as a false 10/inverted winger I suppose?) It looks to me like that's kinda how he's been playing at times in the last two games - and actually if you look at his edmonton day highlights and reviewing games last year when he played right wing he often comes in with the ball in this way and looks very comfortable to loose a few defenders en route then play a good ball up other wing, through to striker, or take on a long bomb himself (once he gets his left foot sorted this may be a better option - unless he can get a deflection every time like skc gave him ;))

2. And Robo says he is basically fighting manneh and techera for a starting spot.. interesting no mention of barnes or bola..

Good first post, thanks.

I think Robbo is then going to insist on someone as a target, Barnes or Hurtado, and as for Bolaños, he seems a sure pick. Bolaños was on the Concacaf team of the year, we have to treat him as an important player and ask more of him.

So it is a question of who has speed and can break through on either side. For me we have to let Manneh try to stay healthy, he was playing better last year and does cause havoc, down the left. Techera down the right. So for now, at least, let Davies work his way in, subbing on, the odd start. Mostly because I have not seen he has real scoring skill yet. But if he shows he can finish, then he`ll rival with Manneh and Techera.

It is still a thin and weak squad going into this season, our only hope is going to be eliminating about 15 goals against and being tight and hard-ass. Then all we'll need is a goal a game or two to get points.  

Whitecaps have hit on a sustainable model where if it is broke you fix it. This is cheaper, avoids trends, does not waste valuable resources, and forces people to alter their paradigms. We have a less deep squad with more cap space, so the whole point is to make what did not work before, work now. I like it.

I think the club philosophy can be summed up here:

http://www.platform21.nl/download/4453

I'm kind of sad to see Kianz go but with Davies doing the box to box midfield role better at a much younger age it is time for Kianz to move on. I'm glad it wasn't at a lower level. B2 is very good. Most times he played with the MLS team you'd see flashes of brilliance combined with some bad passes and giveaways. I still think he has potential for our MNT.

2 hours ago, TRM said:

I'm kind of sad to see Kianz go but with Davies doing the box to box midfield role better at a much younger age it is time for Kianz to move on. I'm glad it wasn't at a lower level. B2 is very good. Most times he played with the MLS team you'd see flashes of brilliance combined with some bad passes and giveaways. I still think he has potential for our MNT.

I am also sad to see him go, but I get the impression that Kianz never really got his head into things. As all of you know, this is as much about mental toughness and attitude as it is raw talent (and then skill).  Not saying he had an attitude problem--I never saw or heard anything to suggest that he did--but I just did not see the consistency on the field. Like you said, there were flashes of brilliance and then lots of errors, and then he'd disappear entirely. Davies, however, is always active, always making stuff happen, and while he is nowhere near the finished product, he is showing at the age of 16?!! what Kianz has yet to show, in my opinion. 

Looks like the guys are indeed building some nice chemistry. It is WAY too early to predict how this line-up is going to look later in the season, but I wonder how Tiebert is going to slot in. Kind of liking DeJong wide left, and he and Harvey seem to be linking up nicely. Hard to tell how challenging these past few games were; we'll get a better look at the guys when they head down to Portland. Where Bola? 

4-0 over Bristol U23s to finish off the UK warmup trip. Davies scores one. Like you said we'll see how they do in Portland next. Don't know about Bola. I haven't heard about him being injured so maybe we'll see him in Portland.

5 hours ago, GlassCity said:

I wrote about the Whitecaps Salary Budget, and whether or not they can still add a Senior DP now that Barnes is staying.

https://thisglasscity.wordpress.com/2017/02/03/armchairing/

Wow! They must have somebody on staff whose sole job is running these numbers. (Obviously.) Nuts. I am still hoping they can add a Senior DP.  I wonder if we might see a couple more transfers yet. Maybe Tiebert to another MLS team.

Archived