TRM

Whitecaps 2017 Season

14 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think that was his stay list, that's why I liked it anyways. 

That will teach me for being a facetious arse. My apologies gents! 

Those are definitely people I don't want to lose. I'd add ghazal (time to settle, shows quality moments), levis, Edgar, (both can be contributors if they arent tarnished by injury) DeJong, nerwinski, (hopefully as backup to improved players) mezquida and Ibini to that list. 

While I don' think Robinson is a world class coach I think modern football is a tough place for coaches, especially new young coaches. Again i will preface the following with the fact I think Carl Robinson is a nice guy clearly liked and respected by players and staff, an intelligent guy with tons of football experience to make him a solid coach. I think he has done a solid but unspectacular (stylistically) job and sacking him would be extremely harsh. I do however understand peoples concerns long term and longing for a more attractive and better coach but finding the right fit is hard. Especially with a frugal ownership group. 

Whether you're a player or coach, talent aside, sometimes a club is just the right fit or likewise the wrong one. Just as we see young coaches or coaches successful at smaller club's jumping to bigger clubs and failing plenty of unnatural appointments work out ok. Koeman is a good example of a hit and miss coach. Moyes, a good example too at Everton who most said were mad not to sack him after his first season and a half. Consistency won on that occasion. Shame he hasn't hit a right fit since.  

I think there simply aren't enough support systems in place for coaches in particular young coaches. The pressures of the game don't give them time to see their visions come to fruition and they arent equipped for the tough times. Sink or swim like real life, yeah I guess but I don't think it has to be this 'man up don't cry, this is how it's always been' mentality. Maybe that comes down to who the young coaches bring in on their coaching staff but I think the club and csa, mls, fa etc should all bare responsibiliy in this. 

In the case of Robinson he has a fairly succesful first year then the honeymoon was over and the run of bad results followed which happens with all coaches. But with young coaches when it happens it's 50/50 if they can get through it and if they dont, inevitably they are on the scrap pile because they don't have the experience and guidance to get through it. Arguably Robinson could have been sacked after season two but was given another year based on his first year and he has improved the team this year. At a grind. 

What is frustrating for me is that the potential is there and the squad is far greater than previous years (still 5/6 short of really going for dominance) but we have fallen short this year under Robinson again albeit with progress. 

From a F.O. viewpoint he works well for them on relatively cheap wages and a tiny budget to defend that, on paper there is improvement this year. 

The fan argument is very similar at Newcastle where we were spoilt with Keegan combined with a different league that suited that style. As a ticket holder do you want to win matches or do you want to be entertained. Ideally as a fan you will want both but those loses are easier to take if the football is entertaining. When you dont have either something has to give. At the moment the former is happening enough to keep him employed in what is at the end or the day a results business first.

Coming back to my earlier point, we have a coach that is making (slow) progress, likes the area, is liked and is showing growth as a coach imo. Consistency is a rare commodity in football management and for me I don't know id want to change that on the hopes that a slightly better manager might fit but we will go back a couple of years in terms of progress to adopt new systems, structures and playing staff to get further ahead. Of course its all subjective not knowing whom we might be able to get here. While there is progress i am happier with the devil i know. But maybe that's want the F.O. want me to think :)

P.s. sorry for the rambling essay. 

Marinovic was a beast yesterday for New Zealand in their 0-0 draw against Peru in Wellington.

Gonna miss Ousted, but not resigning him was the correct decision. Looking forward to seeing how Marinovic does over the course of a full season.

We are paying too much for Shea, plain and simple. Agree with Jeffrey in that Shea brings a rugged physicality to the squad, but we are paying too much for a guy that will be mostly used coming off the bench. But, having said that, I think that Robbo is big on Shea. 

As for Tchani, how many of you feel we should have kept Manneh? I guess that depends on where Manneh ends up next year. Will he move to Europe? (Not sure he's done enough at Columbus to warrant a decent European side picking him up, mind you.)

Watched Bolaños and Waston who started vs. Spain tonight. Cristian was a bit lost out there, lost the ball easily, and of course had little of the ball, the whole team was lost with such immediate pressure and hardly any possession. Waston for some reason was constantly required to go to the RB position and out of the CB role he is also less effective. But the guy is huge and mixed it up with Sergio Ramos, then tackled Isco hard and was yellowed and immediately taken off. A beast, very competitive, but a bit slow if we are talking about WC quality. 

Hard to think CR is anywhere close to what their last WC form was. Mind you, I think Keylor could have stopped 2-3 of the 5 that they let in. 

Interesting how many Caps could be in the WC next year. The two CR players and then the Kiwis, or, if Peru takes them out, Reyna, who was on the bench in New Zealand for the first leg, scoreless. IMO it is good for MLS to have guys in the WC, but any team with MLS has to have 3-5 starters playing club at a higher level to hope to do anything at all even in group stage.

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Watched Bolaños and Waston who started vs. Spain tonight. Cristian was a bit lost out there, lost the ball easily, and of course had little of the ball, the whole team was lost with such immediate pressure and hardly any possession. Waston for some reason was constantly required to go to the RB position and out of the CB role he is also less effective. But the guy is huge and mixed it up with Sergio Ramos, then tackled Isco hard and was yellowed and immediately taken off. A beast, very competitive, but a bit slow if we are talking about WC quality. 

Hard to think CR is anywhere close to what their last WC form was. Mind you, I think Keylor could have stopped 2-3 of the 5 that they let in. 

Interesting how many Caps could be in the WC next year. The two CR players and then the Kiwis, or, if Peru takes them out, Reyna, who was on the bench in New Zealand for the first leg, scoreless. IMO it is good for MLS to have guys in the WC, but any team with MLS has to have 3-5 starters playing club at a higher level to hope to do anything at all even in group stage.

If Nosa, Ibini, and Ghazal have good seasons, they could return to the fray of their respective national teams: Nigeria, Australia, and Egypt. Nigeria and Egypt are already in, and I fancy Australia at home over Honduras.

On 11/11/2017 at 4:11 PM, The Beaver said:

Oh, and I am big on Nosa. Excited to see what he can do with a proper training camp and a dozen games. He isn't Lodeiro or Valeri, but he's a helluvalot better in that role than anybody else we've had for a while.

Hope he builds on it and doesn't disappoint the masses like Armando Cooper did at TFC this season.