Whitecaps 2017 Season

TRM

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ousted doesnt miss a game for years,

Caps get rid of the CDN keeper and BOOM!  Tornaghi and Richey both get playing time. And for an added bonus Bono is playing for Toronto.    

Bison fights the strong urge to go do laundry instead of watch the game.  

Just an observation about BC place from someone who has only seen it on TV. Looks like a terrible place for a MLS game. Those sails look foolish. The Southsiders seem like a great supporters group but I think they got lost in BC Place. Honestly just from watching on TV it seems like Empire was a better venue.

CPL take note!

BC Place looks nice inside. 

It is cavernous and if you sit two sections away from a supporter section, you can hardly hear them. If you are in one group, your silent moments you barely hear the one beside you. It has nice light and good sight lines, it is the least of my complaints. 

The Caps owners and Lenarduzzi are conning the fans with this coach and this product, they have serious problems. 

When I get back to Vancouver in early May I will be working hard to sort them out:D

The 'Caps were poor today.  And so too was the match overall.  They would have been lucky with 0-0, in my opinion.  Just the one shot on target... really not good enough.  I guess the question I have is whether they have been unlucky to have been down to 10 men twice, and were punished both times, or if they simply aren't good enough.  I think that Robinson will be on the hot seat very soon if he isn't already.

5 hours ago, RJB said:

The 'Caps were poor today.  And so too was the match overall.  They would have been lucky with 0-0, in my opinion.  Just the one shot on target... really not good enough.  I guess the question I have is whether they have been unlucky to have been down to 10 men twice, and were punished both times, or if they simply aren't good enough.  I think that Robinson will be on the hot seat very soon if he isn't already.

If Robinson goes on the hot seat, Lenarduzzi has to go with him. Right now the entire organization is just coasting, they are scamming the fans and doing a serious injustice to the players. 

Time to build Bobby a monument, put him in an honorary position, and let someone who is competent in sports management to do the job of running the club.

39 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

What do Whitecaps supporters make of Robinson's post game comments defending Shea and criticizing the official on the play in question?

It looked like Shea doubled down on telling a ref to "f*** off". What did Robinson/Shea expect?

47 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

What do Whitecaps supporters make of Robinson's post game comments defending Shea and criticizing the official on the play in question?

No different than last year.

When you can't admit you haven't brought the right players in and your team isn't good enough, you need to talk about something, so that's what he always does.

9 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Lol,

Shea: Fuck off.

Referee: *Gives stern look that said 'what did you say?'*

Shea: Yeah, I said that.

Red

Shea's a fucking idiot.

I get the sense that if Teibert continues to start for the Whitecaps that he will be a big whipping boy of supporters. I believe his development has plateaued in Vancouver, but I also think he hasn't been that bad this year. 

Am I alone in this thought? Perhaps Whitecaps supporters are so desperate for a creative attacking presence in the midfield that Teibert is the scapegoat?

48 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I believe his development has plateaued in Vancouver, but I also think he hasn't been that bad this year. 

This seems to be re occuring theme with Cnd players. There have been more than a few who have looked very promising early in their careers.  Then each year that you follow them, its seems that they are not making the transition from " prospect" to "star" or elite level.   A few become consistent contributors or semi regulars or solid career player.  But never to the level that you expected when you see them as rookies.   I could name a long list here.  

Then there are the ones who never got tagged with that cant miss label ( eg.: Will Johnson, Dero).  Thye are ones who end up having a nice career in the game. 

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

This seems to be re occuring theme with Cnd players. There have been more than a few who have looked very promising early in their careers.  Then each year that you follow them, its seems that they are not making the transition from " prospect" to "star" or elite level.   A few become consistent contributors or semi regulars or solid career player.  But never to the level that you expected when you see them as rookies.   I could name a long list here.  

Then there are the ones who never got tagged with that cant miss label ( eg.: Will Johnson, Dero).  Thye are ones who end up having a nice career in the game. 

I think it's just that we haven't seen enough Cdn players for a star to emerge. A star is a stand out player who is rare. It is a numbers game. Produce players and more and more stars will emerge.

44 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think it's just that we haven't seen enough Cdn players for a star to emerge. A star is a stand out player who is rare. It is a numbers game. Produce players and more and more stars will emerge.

Word.

I will say Free Kick is right in the assessment that we're able to produce some solid career guys as Johnny Boy Osorio, who was motm against Vancouver imo, is probably going to have a Will Johnson type of career. However, the more guys we produce, the higher likely hood we start producing world class talent. Raheem Edwards has that little extra that can thrust him towards stardom if he keeps his head on straight. The boy has the same attributes that would have made Nicholas Lyndsay a star had he not gotten into a snow mobile accident that ended his career before it even began.

I wonder how many canadian players are not progressing because their coaches are not experts in their positions and cannot give them what they need to move to the next level. I think the new canmnt OZ and co's first priority should be to take a serious look at identifying where promising young players may not have the right coach to develop them and fill the gaps by hooking them up with mentors.

For example:

- Larin was lucky to have Adrian Heath and now Kreiss who are strikers at heart and can give excellent guidance to him both tactically and mentally

- It's no coincidence that the only Whitecaps players that have shown real growth under Robinson are defenders.. as thats the only position Robinson can truly coach. It was really telling that Teibert has only ever attributed one person with really 'helping coach him'.. that was Nigel Reo-Cooker - in case you wonder who taught Rusty to back pass first!  Note: I feel Davies is an anomally and has grown despite his coaches and not really because of them - again it may be telling that the only time anyone's asked him where he has learned his play from he has responded, "well, I love watching Messi"

- The CSA needs to take a hard look at TFC and check that at least Robin Fraser will fill the coaching void of Greg Vanney who I feel is excellent tactically but does not seem interested or capable in truly developing canadian talent - he'd rather bring in the finished product than waste time there. I worry about Liam Fraser and Malik Johnson and and all the other boyz who have awesome potential but need a seriously talented coach to take them under there wing and up their game

- Ballou and Choinere I think are actually in the best spot for them under Biello

- Lastly, I think this shows how impressive a job canadian coach Marc Dos Santos did to develop so well all the canadians at Swope Park Rangers last year.. and across all different positions: didic at defense, pasher on wing, gonzalez at striker.. surely this is a coach who should be considered next in line for canmnt, someone who knows how to coach players, not just a team

23 hours ago, yomurphy1 said:

It looked like Shea doubled down on telling a ref to "f*** off". What did Robinson/Shea expect?

It looked like he said "F**k you!" to the ref, and when the ref asked him what he said, he repeats "I said, fuck you." Once Robbo gets the truth, then expect him to sit Brek for a few extra games.  How stupid? The ref gave him a chance to walk back his words, maybe simply say "I wasn't talking to you" or some such BS. 

22 hours ago, shermanator said:

I get the sense that if Teibert continues to start for the Whitecaps that he will be a big whipping boy of supporters. I believe his development has plateaued in Vancouver, but I also think he hasn't been that bad this year. 

Am I alone in this thought? Perhaps Whitecaps supporters are so desperate for a creative attacking presence in the midfield that Teibert is the scapegoat?

I don't think so. We need a creative attacking presence for sure, but nobody is daft enough to expect that out of Teibert. I think he has been playing fairly well, but nobody is going to make him the scapegoat.  When Atiba comes to town, mind you, I would expect Tiebert to get almost no playing time. 

Too early to fire Robbo, but I must admit I am watching him closely. Having Bola in the game made a big difference, and this only further supports the notion that we need a general in the middle of the park.  Maybe Reyna can play that role, but I get the impression he is more like Mezquida than a Michael Bradley.  Bola can control the game a fair bit from the wing, but we need that control across the field, and he cannot be everywhere, especially as a winger. 

How the hell did Hurtado NOT at least hit the goaltender on his half break? Just strike the ball across the face of the goal, force a save or a rebound that Kekutah could pounce on.  It was a poor game, but the Caps were looking much better when Bola came on, and the Brek did something stupid and selfish.  My take is that Brek barely gives a shit anymore. Or maybe this is what you get when you sign an eccentric dude who does not give a shit about anyone else.

4 hours ago, The Beaver said:

How the hell did Hurtado NOT at least hit the goaltender on his half break?

Maybe he felt guilty about the fact the chance was created by an excellent through ball from Eriq Zavaleta, rather than one of his own teammates.....

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Or to Aitor Karanka, how about it?

That's an interesting choice. Is he available?

I only hope that if / when the Caps decide to change they don't end up in flail mode again like they did last time. Robbo had one very good year but overall a very average record.

We need another CM to play alongside Laba. We get bullied off the park every game and the opposition overwhelm us pressuring the back line to lob the ball forward to a traditional target man we don't have and a powderpuff midfield that wouldn't be able to pick up the knockdowns anyway.  

Karanka would be a huge get. We would never pay him enough and he will have plenty of better options in Europe.

Archived