Whitecaps 2017 Season

TRM

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, jonovision said:

Tchani has been poor since he arrived, and Jacobson as well, especially when deputizing as a CB.

I agree about Tchani, not so much about Jacobson...mind you, was not paying a lot of attention to him last game. Last match at home I thought he was very solid. Nerwinski has also stepped up. I appreciate these guys.

The weak link now is Tchani since we are linking very poorly with the guys up high. 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I agree about Tchani, not so much about Jacobson...mind you, was not paying a lot of attention to him last game. Last match at home I thought he was very solid. Nerwinski has also stepped up. I appreciate these guys.

The weak link now is Tchani since we are linking very poorly with the guys up high. 

I've only paid close attention to the recent games where Jacobson has been filling it at the back for Waston. He actually does most of the things a CB needs to do well, but has been beaten one-on-one too often and too easily. At least one of those times led directly to a goal.

He's been fine as a CM though he doesn't offer a lot going forward. Still much better than Tchani in that role.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:43 AM, BearcatSA said:

In the dog days of the MLS summer it's virtually road games for the Caps, so the odds of them keeping above the playoff line, even with all their A list guys available, don't look very good right now.  However, maybe they can develop a siege mentality and get back to grinding out the road results like they did a couple of years back.

But once again, as in the previous season, this team doesn't seem to play like an 11 man unit, either offensively or defensively.  It seems to  rely exclusively on some individual school yard brilliance to manufacture some goal chances.

Well, I quoted myself because I didn't think I needed to change anything after this match.  The back line was awful.  At least the cavalry (Reyna) made an appearance.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sam Piette would be an upgrade on Laba and save us half a million.

He's been very poor, imo deserves to be benched.

Well with the red he ain't playing next game. Maybe a game off will help him. He has been very substandard recently.

To say that the Chicago game sucked would be an understatement. Worst I've seen us play in a long time.

18 shots, 12 on target and 4 in the net for the Fire. Nerwinski got turned and beaten on simple give and goes repeatedly.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sam Piette would be an upgrade on Laba and save us half a million.

He's been very poor, imo deserves to be benched.

You're being way to harsh on Laba when the entire defense was terrible. Nerwinski over pursued constantly, Jacobson is hopeless at CB, and Harvey basically handed Matt Polster two assists. Laba isn't playing well at the moment but he is significantly more talented than Tchani, Jacobson or Piette. You can't judge him too harshly on an away game against one of the three best teams in MLS when his teammates made countless defensive mistakes.

14 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Very happy for a Canadian team that doesn't feature one Canadian in the 18 to get destroyed.

And I would say that for any Canadian team. Will have to become an Orlando fan.

Oh, hell, we don't even pay attention to that anymore. We would just be happy if the Yanks and Argies knew how to play and the Welsh had the least idea about coaching. 

What makes me bitter is that a guy like Lenarduzzi, who represented working class Vancouver and was a local hero, has completely reneged on his own legacy, denying what he was allowed to do to any other young Vancouver player. It is a total renunciation of core values, and it frankly disgusts me.

17 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Very happy for a Canadian team that doesn't feature one Canadian in the 18 to get destroyed.

And I would say that for any Canadian team. Will have to become an Orlando fan.

Uh in case you missed the memo there are a couple away at something called the Gold Cup.

12 minutes ago, TRM said:

The one who is rehabbing from a leg being hit by a car?

Which of the other ones are at the MLS level? Please do tell.

You could make a case for Bustos > Mezquida (at least on this year's form) and could dress McKendry instead of Rosales.  

5 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

You could make a case for Bustos > Mezquida (at least on this year's form) and could dress McKendry instead of Rosales.  

Definitely no on the first but yes on the second.

We are just snake bitten when it comes to our Canadian content. Just when you get a CB who is reliable and getting lots of minutes he gets hit by a car. Levi gets injured during his great debut last year. Sam breaks ribs in a game. So far Davies has avoided the curse (knock wood).

Here's hoping they all make full recoveries and take spots.

7 hours ago, TRM said:

Definitely no on the first but yes on the second.

We are just snake bitten when it comes to our Canadian content. Just when you get a CB who is reliable and getting lots of minutes he gets hit by a car. Levi gets injured during his great debut last year. Sam breaks ribs in a game. So far Davies has avoided the curse (knock wood).

Here's hoping they all make full recoveries and take spots.

Having watched WC2 recently, and ignoring CDN content specifically, the player most ready IMO is De Wit. I am not saying MLS would be easy for him, but he deserves to be supporting the team, he's quite competent. 

I also thought McKendry was sharp. Baldissimo was pretty good. You'd sacrifice a bit of defensive bite, which doesn't do us much good anyways, and have a bit of creativity. 

I did not like Norman, he had very little range and sat back. I think he needs to get some more games and get a bit of confidence. 

Bustos is better than any of the current mids on WC2.

As I see it, if you are going to play like crap anyways, might as well let the younger guys get a chance instead of watch seasoned pros stink it out.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Having watched WC2 recently, and ignoring CDN content specifically, the player most ready IMO is De Wit. I am not saying MLS would be easy for him, but he deserves to be supporting the team, he's quite competent. 

I also thought McKendry was sharp. Baldissimo was pretty good. You'd sacrifice a bit of defensive bite, which doesn't do us much good anyways, and have a bit of creativity. 

I did not like Norman, he had very little range and sat back. I think he needs to get some more games and get a bit of confidence. 

Bustos is better than any of the current mids on WC2.

As I see it, if you are going to play like crap anyways, might as well let the younger guys get a chance instead of watch seasoned pros stink it out.

de Wit should be with the senior team this season. McKendry is still good for one nightmare pass a game, so I'm not sure he's ready quite yet, but he's 24. Why not give him a shot and send him on his way if he doesn't impress by the end of the transfer window? Baldissimo is still a season or two away. The talent is there, but he's just now becoming a regular VW2 player and has significant issues defending craftier players.

On Monday, July 03, 2017 at 11:49 AM, TRM said:

The one who is rehabbing from a leg being hit by a car?

Which of the other ones are at the MLS level? Please do tell.

Just as an FYI.  Toronto, who also has 3 Canadians away still managed to play 3 other tn; while Montreal, who also has 3 Canadians away still has 2 others on the bench and Van has none once again. Mb your team should spend some more time/money on Canadians.

3 badly needed points and a 3-2 win over NYC. Two totally different halves. First half we were totally out played by NY but the second really turned it around especially after Reyna came on.

We actually played well for about 35 minutes, when we had our backs to the wall, basically. Montero was good, intelligent and tricky. Shea just average tonight, Techera his usual committed, hardworking self. But I still think it is more the players deciding to react than anything else. We are a player-managed team, which is okay if the players have character, and this bunch does. 

In the first half we were really bad, with Tchani the stand-out in the embarrassing department. I seriously do not believe he is MLS quality, he cannot do basic pro technique, he kills about a half dozen attacking plays dumbly every game. Beside him Jacobsen was very solid. Bolaños seems to be out of shape a bit still. Waston was on form, and got screwed again on that penalty call, it was so weak, that is a ref who had bad intentions. I give credit to BC Place, Vancouver fans know the game, and know when a ref is screwing them out of a fairly paid match.

One of the biggest, most intense post-game celebrations I've seen at BC Place, first Curva, then the concourse was alive for maybe 30 minutes solid, maybe more, literally hundreds in chants and song. I think there was so much built-up energy and tension from that bad reffing, combined with summer actually being summer, but from a fan pov that was great. 

3 hours ago, shamrock said:

That has got to be THE worst PK call I ever saw, absolutely atrocious. Well deserved for the Caps to come back and win the game. 

It seems to be a strategy NYC use. Every time you get touched you dive clutching your face. Like when Montero chest bumped Herrera. The "New York Diving Wankers". I doubt the league will do anything because it is New York.

I know it's a difficult job but MLS officiating is in serious need of review. I thought if anything, Pirlo might have earned a penalty earlier but the dive on the Waston penalty and the one from Herrera were embarrassing. The way the game was being officiated, I was worried Montero was going to get sent off for his "chest bump". It's the kind of thing that undermines the credibility of MLS. 

Can't blame NYCFC for doing it since it garnered them a penalty (goal) and a couple of yellow cards for Vancouver. 

Caps to their credit didn't dwell on it and controlled what they could and it was one of the more exciting matches in recent memory. Great atmosphere for a mid-week fixture too.

Archived