Whitecaps 2017 Season

TRM

And good going forward, and has a great long throw, and is in the prime of his career. Small sample size, but he's been very good so far, and has been a good RB in MLS for most of his career, minus a bad year last year on a bad team. I hope he's around for a while.

I do think Harvey has finally gone over the cliff. At 34, he's really too old for a fullback, especially one who was solidly average at his peak.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

And good going forward, and has a great long throw, and is in the prime of his career. Small sample size, but he's been very good so far, and has been a good RB in MLS for most of his career, minus a bad year last year on a bad team. I hope he's around for a while.

I do think Harvey has finally gone over the cliff. At 34, he's really too old for a fullback, especially one who was solidly average at his peak.

I've seen Williams beaten several times, he covers poorly in the 18 and I've seen many giveaways. I'm not impressed so far. Let's watch him next couple of games and see how he does.  

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 11:45 AM, Northvansteve said:

I've seen Williams beaten several times, he covers poorly in the 18 and I've seen many giveaways. I'm not impressed so far. Let's watch him next couple of games and see how he does.  

As you have said, let's see how he does over the next stretch of starts.  My first impressions of him at RB have been a bit more positive than negative (I feel that he has been better in 1 v 1 defending against a winger on the ball as compared to the starters from last season, but I guess that's one where we'll agree to disagree for the moment).

What's there to see? He's been very good so far by all statistical measures (actually the best ranked Whitecaps player on whoscored) has a solid MLS track record with dozens of first team starts and is right in the middle of his prime years. It's not like he's some unproven player. 

Well that was one of those lame first halfs, and better the second. I even felt we were close to a tie, which is heartening.

Still, the team is very badly coached. They do not know how to pressure in a coordinated manner, constantly you see one guy looking over his shoulder wondering why the rest are not pressuring like he is. They are never ahead in numbers defending, they get barely the guys back they need, and are vulnerable. They also do dumb stuff like run in the wrong direction, not pressuring the ball but the outlet, so giving the ball holder lots of time to work things out. None of this suggests the coach has any idea how to pressure the ball, get it back and have a go.

Attacking coordination is also bad, from the back to the front. Ousted has little faith in his players in close, and lots of players do not trust their teammates. Worse, they have Waston play out, or the rival lets him, and of course he is by far the worst passer on the team. So passes--his and others-- are the slowest, weakest and easiest, and the rival defence is not broken down, at all. Further up, it is a bit haphazard. You could see that watching Bolaños, always teed off.

I guess me not liking our coach is not at all relevant to this thread.

2 bad turnovers lead to 2 goals against and that was pretty much it. We didn't generate enough and when we did get chances they made the keeper's life way too easy by going high and wide.

We can't leave Montero alone up top like that and expect miracles. He needs somebody to play off of and do some quick releases to.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I guess me not liking our coach is not at all relevant to this thread.

Hard to argue when the coach is hard wired to the 4-5-1 in one form or another. That isn't Montero's strength as a forward.

6 hours ago, TRM said:

Hard to argue when the coach is hard wired to the 4-5-1 in one form or another. That isn't Montero's strength as a forward.

What is ridiculous is that Robinson came out saying, when Montero was signed, that they hadn't had a goal scorer like him since Camilo. Completely ignoring, once again, how Camilo played, always the second striker, from the wing or behind, with freedom of movement to follow the play, not lead it.

Robinson is a very weak coach technically and tactically, and gets less from his players than they have to give.

Next up on the road in Montreal is the "Davies vs AJH" matchup. I hope they both start. This is on CTV, TSN2, TSN so here is hoping the numbers are good.

Saturday, April 29th at 3 PM Montreal & noon Vancouver time.

On 4/26/2017 at 10:23 PM, TRM said:

Next up on the road in Montreal is the "Davies vs AJH" matchup. I hope they both start. This is on CTV, TSN2, TSN so here is hoping the numbers are good.

Saturday, April 29th at 3 PM Montreal & noon Vancouver time.

Neither player is starting, and in fact Vancouver aren't starting any Canadians at all. Montreal starting Bernier and Tabla (Canadian for now).

47 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Frustrating none of my streams work, so I'm forced to watch Barça on the screen (no tv today). 

Life is rough :)

We won 2-1 in Montreal. Quite a bit lucky IMHO as we got our 2 goals on 2 of the very few chances we had. Ousted once again is the difference as he stopped Tabla twice with foot saves.

Good road result for the Caps. They looked the better side for much of the game. They are starting to find their form, which is great to see. Techera and Jacobson were great all game. Tchani seems to be slowly rounding into firm, but still has a way to go. Ousted had a couple of key saves. Once the Caps start banging in a few more of the good chances they create each game, they might yet become a formidable side. I like what I have seen these last few games.

Tabla showed well. Kid has promise for sure. Slick dribbling. Just needs experience. 

I ended up watching last half hour or so. 

Get the feeling that Whitecaps are this not very good team that here and there does things right, while Impact are a good team not getting results. With Caps, for example, you are always thinking, anything could happen. 

Compare with watching last half of Orlando-Rapids. Orlando are a very good team, every player is technical and bold and some are quite spectacular, like that right back, Sutter, quite the player, really liked him. Then Rapids: that is a bad team, they have a few braided heads of hair out there with people underneath calling themselves footballers , looked like a bottom dweller. With cool haircuts.

Caps looked tactically sound in the first half. Second half was scattershot for both teams. They've still a ways to go, but the Caps seem to be gelling. I think they have confidence in the process, and in the fact that their defensive core is playing well (Waston, Parker, Laba and Ousted). Interesting to see how they evolve when Reyna is fully fit.

On 4/29/2017 at 4:43 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I ended up watching last half hour or so. 

Get the feeling that Whitecaps are this not very good team that here and there does things right, while Impact are a good team not getting results. With Caps, for example, you are always thinking, anything could happen. 

Compare with watching last half of Orlando-Rapids. Orlando are a very good team, every player is technical and bold and some are quite spectacular, like that right back, Sutter, quite the player, really liked him. Then Rapids: that is a bad team, they have a few braided heads of hair out there with people underneath calling themselves footballers , looked like a bottom dweller. With cool haircuts.

Are you sure? You know he's British right? :P

Just playing. Agree with everything you said here on the Caps, Impact and Orlando.

I think this may be the year Orlando makes the playoffs. Would be great experience for Cyle if he's still around.

23 hours ago, Obinna said:

Are you sure? You know he's British right? :P

Just playing. Agree with everything you said here on the Caps, Impact and Orlando.

I think this may be the year Orlando makes the playoffs. Would be great experience for Cyle if he's still around.

Yeah, thanks, I knew cause I looked him up, Brit born and football-raised, but one of the parents is Swiss. For me, a very technical back with a strong tactical sense, biggest surprise for me so far this year in MLS.

Cyle is playing on a team with strength in every position and that has to benefit him in all respects. 

Nil-nil at the half vs Colorado. It appears our starting road lineup does not include Canadians for the 3rd week. That said it does appear to be the best road lineup we've fielded in a long time. 2 big bodies in the middle in Jacobson & Tchani do seem to thwart other teams so defensively it is strong but on offense Montero is still alone up top. We'll see if they go for a more offensive lineup at home with Davies in.

And the old bunker and counter on the road comes through again with a 1-0 win. Davies comes in for 24 minutes and his best plays were defensively. His defensive work reminds me of Gersh. He is wiry and determined.

It's official, Whitecaps have signed Bernie Ibini from Club Brugge. Has played the majority of his career in the A League. According to the thread on Reddit for him, he suffered a major injury after signing for Brugge; hasn't played much in the last few years.

21 hours ago, The Beaver said:

Looks like another "Money Ball" acquisition, which is clearly the Caps' strategy.  Makes sense, considering that ownership does not have the deep pockets of the big MLS clubs.  Still secretly hoping that we sign Hutch!

Very true. Still trying to find the next Camilo and promising not to screw it up this time!

May 12 2-1 loss

Tchani invisible, lots of touches and movement from Techera and Bolanos but not bringing anything special. Davies more interesting than all 3 when he came on and should start next game. Bringing in Teibert for Laba while down 2 goals instead of sending in Mezquida or giving Rosales a shot...come on, another substitution mistake...

Archived