Adam Straith

Pat Carrasco

10 hours ago, shermanator said:

Last I heard, he was the worst CB ever and should never be around the national team again.

If he's that awful as a goaltender, then why is that national coaches invite these kind of players to camp? I don't understand. Is this only in Canada?

Edited by Pat Carrasco

Because he always shows up and gives his best. Unfortunately that's not much; of course a Norwegian second division player shouldn't be international, but who else would you consider? I'd really like to know, cause other then some rookie USL-players I really can't come up with anything. 

10 minutes ago, shermanator said:

ICT would be a great landing spot for Straith, if he gets playing time, IMO. Gets him away from the "second division Norway" stigma.

ICT is last. Though I would put money on a Kilmarnock relegation after they sold the guy who scored half of there 16 goals.  

He has previously been on trial with a Scottish Premier League team:

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/2014/09/18/dundee-target-canadian-defender-adam-straith/

His career seemed to be on the ups at that time as indicated by the quote "Straith, who previously impressed for Energie Cottbus in Bundesliga 2, has not been short of interest this summer." 

This move would be great. A first division team and I can watch these games the times they are on Sportsnet World online. On Friday they have Marcus Haber with Dundee vs Aberdeen and Sunday maybe there will be Zanatta sighting with Hearts vs Celtic.

56 minutes ago, shermanator said:

ICT would be a great landing spot for Straith, if he gets playing time, IMO. Gets him away from the "second division Norway" stigma.

That's exactly it with him, a negative stigma. Yes he makes mistakes like many of our players, but he gets a ddisproportionate amount of flack because of the league he plays in (same for Piette, even though he is younger than guys like Jackson-Hamel, Mo Babouli and McKendry). 

To keep perspective, his club is traditionally one of the biggest clubs in Norway. It is a top tier club with top tier aspirations that has uncharacteristically struggled over the last few years. Clearly promotion straight back up hasn't panned out, but this is a club that has employed internationals. Only a few years ago one of El Salvador's top attackers played there - and before you scoff at "El Salvador", remember that we are not much further up the totem pole, if at all.

Does anyone think that Straith has 40 caps at 26 because he is a 2nd divison Norway level player? Not even Canada calls such a player 40 times. This guy was playing (and sometime starting) in the 2.Bundesliga in his early 20's - and not with exactly a scrub team either. He then lost his spot, which sometimes happens to young defenders playing for competitive teams. He went on loan in the German 3rd tier, then made a permanent move (which isn't terrible), then moved to Norway and played as a midfielder. 

At the international level I don't think we can have him start for us regularly as a midfielder, but I am okay with him as depth in this position BUT I want him primarily as a CB. I hope he gets the SPL move and will watch and enjoy people change their opinions of him - just as we've seen with Marcus Haber, Tosaint Ricketts. Perception is an interesting thing. 

51 minutes ago, Obinna said:

That's exactly it with him, a negative stigma. Yes he makes mistakes like many of our players, but he gets a ddisproportionate amount of flack because of the league he plays in (same for Piette, even though he is younger than guys like Jackson-Hamel, Mo Babouli and McKendry). 

To keep perspective, his club is traditionally one of the biggest clubs in Norway. It is a top tier club with top tier aspirations that has uncharacteristically struggled over the last few years. Clearly promotion straight back up hasn't panned out, but this is a club that has employed internationals. Only a few years ago one of El Salvador's top attackers played there - and before you scoff at "El Salvador", remember that we are not much further up the totem pole, if at all.

Does anyone think that Straith has 40 caps at 26 because he is a 2nd divison Norway level player? Not even Canada calls such a player 40 times. This guy was playing (and sometime starting) in the 2.Bundesliga in his early 20's - and not with exactly a scrub team either. He then lost his spot, which sometimes happens to young defenders playing for competitive teams. He went on loan in the German 3rd tier, then made a permanent move (which isn't terrible), then moved to Norway and played as a midfielder. 

At the international level I don't think we can have him start for us regularly as a midfielder, but I am okay with him as depth in this position BUT I want him primarily as a CB. I hope he gets the SPL move and will watch and enjoy people change their opinions of him - just as we've seen with Marcus Haber, Tosaint Ricketts. Perception is an interesting thing. 

No arguments here.

To add to this point, I think people forget that to improve as a player, you have to actually play competitive games. Signing with a club in a higher league and rotting on the bench, or in the training ground, does not make you a better player. Straith went where he did primarily to get minutes. And he was an every game starting CB in a time where quite frankly, we didn't have many. That's important for a national team with limited depth.

We saw the same stigma with Haber when he was with Crewe (which is hopefully going away now due to his successful play and contract extension at Dundee). We see the same stigma with Gasparotto right now; he's immediately written off as not good enough because he plays in the Scottish Championship despite playing more than any of CB in the last few years. We see the same stigma with Piette. I imagine we will see the same stigma with Aird and Thomas.

As a comparison, someone like Vitoria is immediately held in higher regard than Straith because at one point he played a single game for Benfica. Meanwhile they ignore the fact that he's played a grand total of 124 minutes in the last 15 months, that in a league which is comparable to the Scottish Premiership (at least, based on UEFA coefficient).

Edited by shermanator

Also, if this is not a thing at national games yet, it needs to be.

Oh I guess it would be nice.

If I could be a keeper. Just like Neuer the sweeper. That would be the life for meeee.

But I gotta think twice.

Before I give the ball away. Gotta sign somewhere I can play. So I can afford fooooood.

Oh but I need some time off, from fans emotion. Gotta pick my heart up off the floor.

Oh when boos rain down, without devotion. It takes a strong man baby, but their forwards won't score.

GOTTA HAVE STRAITH!

Edited by shermanator

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Yeah, that's all well and good, but I saw him screw up once, so you're wrong.  He's terrible.

Don't believe me?  Hold on, let me go get you video evidence....

Thing is, Piette and Gasparotto are in an upwards trajectory, whereas Straith is going down. Again I appreciate the guy, but I don't think he'll get to 2. Bundesliga again. I'd be pleasantly surprised if he could sign at ICT. 

I think the reasons to call him (compared to an option like Gasparotto) is that he's experienced and he's played with the rest of the group before. Also he can play on multiple positions. 

Edited by shamrock

8 hours ago, shamrock said:

Thing is, Piette and Gasparotto are in an upwards trajectory, whereas Straith is going down. Again I appreciate the guy, but I don't think he'll get to 2. Bundesliga again. I'd be pleasantly surprised if he could sign at ICT. 

I think the reasons to call him (compared to an option like Gasparotto) is that he's experienced and he's played with the rest of the group before. Also he can play on multiple positions. 

I would argue that Straith is on quite the upward trajectory actually. From not playing for 18 months to every game CB in second division Norway to the Scottish Premiership (if what @David C. posted is announced by the club) is a pretty good trajectory.

Fair enough, again people have to put focus on players actually being able to play at the clubs they sign with.

And now that I think about it, should Straith's signing get announced, and should he get regular starts at ICT, it puts him at the top of the CB depth chart for the national team right now, given that Henry and Edgar's knees are blown up and Vitoria isn't playing in Poland and I can't think of anyone else who is playing regularly at a higher level at CB.

Hate to break it to you @Moldy9 but you're going to be seeing a lot of your beloved Straith in the future. Better warm up the pipes for Faith...