Adam Straith

Pat Carrasco

The reality is he's average at best, and he's always been. Just because he's has gained a lot of caps for Canada, it doesn't justify shit. I for one, have never rated him but because he's been in the program for so long, he's been one of these unwarranted mainstays who has used his "CMNT player tag" to his advantage. Now struggling to find a club at 26, its one a testament to his skill level that he's a Voyageur looking for a home and this just shows where we are as a nation, that not even he could walk into an MLS side.

He'll get a deal on some hole in the wall club in Scandanavia or Western Europe...if not he'll end up in the USL/NASL.

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

21 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

The reality is he's average at best, and he's always been. Just because he's has gained a lot of caps for Canada, it doesn't justify shit. I for one, have never rated him but because he's been in the program for so long, he's been one of these unwarranted mainstays who has used his "CMNT player tag" to his advantage. Now struggling to find a club at 26, its one a testament to his skill level that he's a Voyageur looking for a home and this just shows where we are as a nation, that not even he could walk into an MLS side.

He'll get a deal on some hole in the wall club in Scandanavia or Western Europe...if not he'll end up in the USL/NASL.

Unfortunately, I completely agree with this assessment...

On 2/25/2017 at 2:32 AM, Jahinho Guerro said:

The reality is he's average at best, and he's always been.

To be fair, he seemed like a great prospect when he was 19 and starting for Energie Cottbus in the 2. Bundesliga. 

Unfortunately that was the high point of his club career.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Which begs the question, why do we have so many promising players who amount to so little?

I actually think the issue is the opposite; we don't have nearly enough young players on a professional path. Every country has their Hanson Boakai's; young players who show great promise and then for whatever reason fizzle out. It's just they have a lot more of them. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Which begs the question, why do we have so many promising players who amount to so little?

I think the issue is that we don't actually have much talent to pick from. Our promising players are simply big fish in a small pond who we think are promising, but turn out to be worse than their peers from other countries when the level of competition is raised. 

I'll use Keven Aleman as an example. He's been getting a lot of hype around here because he's had some success during his 2 months at Saprissa after bouncing around from Herediano and Belen. But, is having a small measure of success in the Primera Division really that special? Or is Aleman being rated too highly because we want someone so desperately to be a creative presence in the offense? 

Edited by shermanator

6 hours ago, shermanator said:

I think the issue is that we don't actually have much talent to pick from. Our promising players are simply big fish in a small pond who we think are promising, but turn out to be worse than their peers from other countries when the level of competition is raised. 

I'll use Keven Aleman as an example. He's been getting a lot of hype around here because he's had some success during his 2 months at Saprissa after bouncing around from Herediano and Belen. But, is having a small measure of success in the Primera Division really that special? Or is Aleman being rated too highly because we want someone so desperately to be a creative presence in the offense? 

I'm not afraid to admit I'm desperately wishing for a creative presence on offense :)

Are we really rating him too highly though? I mean, I think he deserves a spot on the Gold Cup roster at this rate. I don't think that's too much. He's playing alongside central american internationals in both training and game action, some of whom will likely play in the Gold Cup for Costa Rica and Panama. Why not Aleman for Canada?

Edited by Obinna

6 hours ago, ditty said:

I actually think the issue is the opposite; we don't have nearly enough young players on a professional path. Every country has their Hanson Boakai's; young players who show great promise and then for whatever reason fizzle out. It's just they have a lot more of them. 

For sure. I think it feels like a lot of our guys fall down the ladder because we simply don't have that many guys.

7 hours ago, shermanator said:

Yeah, our players aren't on the biggest clubs in the world that draw from all over the world. We get a guy on a Costa Rican team or a Scottish team, etc and think they must be great. We don't tend to look at the team and realize there are 7, 8, 9, or 10 guys that are starting beside him that are all from the country the team is from, plus of course all the other teams in that league stocked with their domestics. Cripes I can't wait for the CPL.

15 hours ago, Kent said:

Yeah, our players aren't on the biggest clubs in the world that draw from all over the world. We get a guy on a Costa Rican team or a Scottish team, etc and think they must be great. We don't tend to look at the team and realize there are 7, 8, 9, or 10 guys that are starting beside him that are all from the country the team is from, plus of course all the other teams in that league stocked with their domestics. Cripes I can't wait for the CPL.

Yeah that is a good point. We need the depth to give Canadians the chance to become local stars. They will be big fish in a small pond, but they can transfer up to MLS or elsewhere with confidence and a chip on their shoulder.

Just some more info as per Steven Sandor. Personally, I don't think Straith to FC Edmonton is a good move, unless it's really the only place he can get signed. If everyone stays healthy, I doubt Watson or Diakite lose their spot at CB. Ledgerwood will be their every game DM and Eustaquio can fill in there as well.

The only way I can see a Straith to FC Edmonton move working is if Miller is signing him to take a bunch of Watson's minutes, as his career is on it's last legs.

what's different about his situation from Tissot, and De Jong is that he's coming to the team as a known backup/cover.

Straith will be fatefully hoping Edmonton start taking goals early or that someone gets injured. If not he'll return to the UFC in the summer.

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

• 3 weeks later...