Adam Straith

Pat Carrasco

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

years of betterment ahead..waterman yes..didic and zator are 94's..straith 90..henry and james 93..not a big difference..didic had plenty of chances to make mls but didnt and his cpl performances showed that hes not getting closer

Must be watching a different Didic to the one everyone else saw last year.

It’s just like in the NFL where everyone’s favourite player is the backup QB. Everyone always wants to replace all of the non superstar starters on their team, even though the guys behind them are there for a reason. Everyone wants to bench Adekugbe, Henry, etc with guys who are way less proven and playing at lower levels. Just because Henry makes some mistakes, doesn’t mean he should be replaced by someone that’s basically the same age, has never played anywhere near the level he’s played at, and has a lower upside athletically. Don’t get it.

14 minutes ago, Big_M said:

straith played b2..same or very near the highest henry played

Henry has played higher levels than Straith for most of his (and Straith's) career.  And Henry is better than Straith.  That is not a knock on Straith.  It is just my opinion that, mistakes and all, Henry is currently our best CB.  I am hoping the speed and aggression (press) of the South Korean game makes him a better player.

1 minute ago, Ivan said:

Henry has played higher levels than Straith for most of his (and Straith's) career.  And Henry is better than Straith.  That is not a knock on Straith.  It is just my opinion that, mistakes and all, Henry is currently our best CB.  I am hoping the speed and aggression (press) of the South Korean game makes him a better player.

Being a foreign player on a big salary may force him to be more conservative and take less risk, exactly what Henry needs. That's my hope.

Love Straith, but his value to the NT now would be as vet on a CPL club mentoring younger up-and-comers on the commitment needed to forge a pro career in Europe in this incredibly competitive professional team sport.  I have a ton of respect for any of our players from that generation and earlier (guys like Ledgerwood, as another example) who toiled in their craft in the the lower level and, before you know it, they have a decade or more professional, journeyman experience to pass on.  We still have too many prospects in our NT youth set up who have had so much sunshine blown up their asses that when they encounter the cold reality of genuine adversity at the higher levels of competition abroad, they can't handle it and opt play the blame game or the victim game, and their surrogates on here propagate it.

I always like hearing about how Straith is doing in his club career but I don't see him in the NT CB competition regardless of how much of a question mark that area of the pitch is.

Spot on. @BearcatSA

For all the reasons you stated is why he would be perfect for a CPL team (Pacific to be specific) at the end of his contract next year.

The journeyman experience are key stories to tell...you want to make it “be better than me”, here’s what it takes.

You’re so right, much respect to guys like Ledgerwood, and De Jong.

• 4 months later...