Adam Straith

Pat Carrasco

Someone on an ICT forum suggested he was still getting paperwork/work visa sorted out, but that was at least a week ago. There's been no mention of him since.

Moldy, thank you for the Lefèvre comments. I was starting to think I was the only person in the world who rated that guy! I'm not saying he would walk into my starting 11, but compared to the glut of other central defenders we seem to play regularly, he seems underused for both club and country.

It kills me that Straith was basically the first name on Floro's team sheet, but I do think he is an option as a central defender. He shouldn't play in the midfield (or as a libero), but he seems about as prone to making bad gaffes and alternately looking competent as Henry, James, Jakovic or Edgar, etc.

cheers,

matthew

4 minutes ago, shamrock said:

No I meant how you sell a team in freakin' Kazachstan as a positive move compared to Scotland. 

If you take Celtic and Rangers (the strong version not the current one) out of the SPL there is little difference in the playing level between it and the Kazakh league. Scotland currently is ranked 23rd in the UEFA coefficient and Kazakhstan 29th and a lot of Scotland's points are from Celtic. Scotland will probably move up a bit higher once Rangers gets back to the Rangers of old but that still does not raise the level of the other teams. The eastern leagues that we are unfamiliar with are not top leagues by any standard (nor is the SPL) but they are still better than a lot of people think.  

I do not think that Staith's trial with Ordabasy was successful. I think the club decided to sign a Brazilian player who already has experience playing in Kazakhstan.  Maybe a Russian speaker could help, because google translate isn't the best.

Ордабасы выбрал Соареса. Тренерский штаб «Ордабасы» объяснил решение по Джону Адаму Стрейту: - Адам Стрейт очень интересный футболист, но тренерский штаб остановился на кандидатуре Бруно Соареса. Он имеет опыт выступления в казахстанском первенстве.

https://vk.com/pfkordabasy

Edited by Toje

11 hours ago, Toje said:

I do not think that Staith's trial with Ordabasy was successful. I think the club decided to sign a Brazilian player who already has experience playing in Kazakhstan.  Maybe a Russian speaker could help, because google translate isn't the best.

Ордабасы выбрал Соареса. Тренерский штаб «Ордабасы» объяснил решение по Джону Адаму Стрейту: - Адам Стрейт очень интересный футболист, но тренерский штаб остановился на кандидатуре Бруно Соареса. Он имеет опыт выступления в казахстанском первенстве.

https://vk.com/pfkordabasy

It just says he was a very interesting player but in the end the training staff decided to sign Bruno Soares instead who has already played in the Kazakh league.

27 minutes ago, shamrock said:

So, time to maybe consider FC Edmonton?

If a 26 year old with 40+ caps for us needs to play NASL we're worse off than I thought we were.  I would take Straith in a heartbeat over guys like Zavaleta and Hagglund, I don't think either of them could have played at the clubs Straith has.  

I was really hoping he would sign with Floro at Alajuelense, would be a great opportunity for him.  A lot of the time we compare ourselves man for man with other CONCACAF nations and say things like "Oh they only play in their domestic league, we can beat these guys."  But the truth is that if we had players starting week in and out for clubs like Arabe Unido, Olimpia or Herediano they would be a regular call up for us.  

9 hours ago, Keegan said:

A lot of the time we compare ourselves man for man with other CONCACAF nations and say things like "Oh they only play in their domestic league, we can beat these guys."  But the truth is that if we had players starting week in and out for clubs like Arabe Unido, Olimpia or Herediano they would be a regular call up for us.  

So true. 

I use to really underestimate the depth of teams like Costa Rica, Honduras and Panama.

Costa Rica in particular has depth that rivals the USA. With Aleman now at Saprissa, I have paid closer attention to the Costa Rican player pool. 

How many national team players joined MLS from Costa Rica this off season?

José Andres Salvatierra - 30 caps/28 years old.

Marco Urena - 45 caps (10 goals)/26 years old

Rodney Wallace - 16 caps (3 goals)/28 years old

David Guzman - 26 caps/27 years old

Fransisco Calvo - 21 caps/24 years old

José Picado - 1 caps (2 goals)/24 years old

Guys, that's in a single transfer window. Massive. How many NT players did we add to MLS in the off season? None by my count. Sure we are promoting academy players to first teams, but how many have successfully made the jump last year? Chapman and Davies? Possibly Jordan Hamilton? The rest are fringe players in MLS at best, USL players at worst (Marco Bustos, Mo Babouli etc.)

Long winded post, but just an example of why we are falling behind and what real depth looks like. 

Including the new signings, the number of Costa Rican internationals is easily in double digits, and growing year by year!

Just wanted to add a list of clubs also representing by Costa Ricans:

Sporting Lisbon, Deportivo La Coruna, Celtic, Sunderland, Palmero, Españyol, Real Madrid, Trabzonspor, Red Star Belgrade ...

Some pretty big clubs there.

Here is our list of notables:

Besiktas, Burnley, Cardiff City, Queens Park Rangers...Dundee? Walsall? .... Falkirk?

Edited by Obinna