Adam Straith

Pat Carrasco

22 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

There are a few lead footed FB's employed in MLS. If he can defend aggressively and complete a 5 yard pass he might have a job somewhere.

Most teams are moving away from defence only FBs. You need pace and stamina to play both defence and offence, esp FBs are relied on to provide overlap and crosses.

37 minutes ago, Yohan said:

Most teams are moving away from defence only FBs. You need pace and stamina to play both defence and offence, esp FBs are relied on to provide overlap and crosses.

Yes, and i agree with the modern FB being an attacker etc. but there is such a dearth of competent FB's in MLS that a guy like Dan Gargan was able to forge a journeyman's career in the league. You gonna tell me that Straith can't get a sniff as a backup in MLS?

25 minutes ago, jonovision said:

If Wandrille Lefevre can get starts in MLS, so could Straith. Neither is a particularly good player (Lefevre never was, Straith has declined a bit in the last few years) but the bottom half of most MLS rosters gets ugly fast.

Pointing to one of the worst backup CBs in MLS and saying "well if he can get games" doesn't really help Straith's case. The fact is, there are a good amount of USL/NASL CBs that are better then Straith and most of them are domestic players.

26 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Not a chance. Edmonton wanted to keep him for the rest of the season. Obviously he thinks he can make it somewhere better.

I believe the falling out with Edmonton was over wages.

4 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Pointing to one of the worst backup CBs in MLS and saying "well if he can get games" doesn't really help Straith's case. The fact is, there are a good amount of USL/NASL CBs that are better then Straith and most of them are domestic players.

I believe the falling out with Edmonton was over wages.

My point is once you get to the ugly half of MLS rosters you'll find plenty of guys who are no better, and often worse, than a lot of the USL/NASL fodder. 

58 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Yes, and i agree with the modern FB being an attacker etc. but there is such a dearth of competent FB's in MLS that a guy like Dan Gargan was able to forge a journeyman's career in the league. You gonna tell me that Straith can't get a sniff as a backup in MLS?

yeah I do. While the quality of defenders in MLS have been growing at slower rate than attackers, there is an increase in quality since Gargan last played in 2015. (And Arena is good at finding cheap journeymen to fit his system of play) 

An utility guy like Straith who can play multiple position has value in MLS. However, I don't think he's good enough defender in MLS, and he's got that int spot strike against him. I think a lot of MLS teams would prefer to have some youngster draft pick or HG as back ups, rather than journeymen like Straith who have hit his ceiling already, unless a team is really desperate for a back up (hello Vancouver?)

1 hour ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Not a chance. Edmonton wanted to keep him for the rest of the season. Obviously he thinks he can make it somewhere better.

He also thought he could make it in Kazakhstan and the worst club in the Scottish top flight.  I'll be glad to see him catch on somewhere, but at his age the opportunities are only going to get more marginal, financially and otherwise.  If the places that want you at age 26 don't pay enough to make it worthwhile, you're tiptoeing the precipice of Canadian pro soccer careers.

Edited by Marc

On 2017-08-04 at 9:58 AM, yothat said:

did the whitecaps and Fced just do the first mls & nasl trade ?!

Fced - sends Adam Straith to VWFC   

VWFC send Ben Mckendry to Fced 

Funny but Straith is just training to maintain fitness with them currently but you never know.

16 hours ago, TRM said:

Funny but Straith is just training to maintain fitness with them currently but you never know.

IMO we could use him for centre back cover, unless Robinson thinks Jacobsen converting to CB is better than Straith. We also have De Wit, who deserves a CB chance. We are thin back there and an extra body would help, but I don't even know if we have a roster spot free.

27 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

IMO we could use him for centre back cover, unless Robinson thinks Jacobsen converting to CB is better than Straith. We also have De Wit, who deserves a CB chance. We are thin back there and an extra body would help, but I don't even know if we have a roster spot free.

De Wit's gone. His move to FC Cincinnati is permanent. 

You should shorten your location to "Barcouver or Vancelona"  :)

I was thinking along the same lines of coverage at CB. Jacobsen is adequate at a lot of spots but his weakest is CB. I haven't heard the status of Edgar lately.

and just as I type they sign a CB from RSL

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2017/08/09/whitecaps-fc-acquire-centre-back-aaron-maund-real-salt-lake

and trade Christian Dean to Chicago

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2017/08/09/whitecaps-fc-deal-christian-dean-chicago-fire

Could still use Straith as a CB/DM cover.

Edited by TRM

I'm sure some TFC fans will have fond memories of Aaron Maund in central midfield during Mariner's caretaker time as manager;).  He and Dunfield, together on one great K-Tel album!

You'd be pretty hard pressed to convince me that Straith is below a player of this journeyman calibre but I'm all ears on the subject.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

You'd be pretty hard pressed to convince me that Straith is below a player of this journeyman calibre but I'm all ears on the subject.

Or maybe Straith is still looking for more than an MLS paycheck? European season starts soon. If he doesn't get any trials then MLS clubs can sign him up to Sept 15.

4 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Can't say I've followed Maund's career to closely, but he's had a decent career in MLS. Straith hasn't played at a MLS level club in 5 years. They are the same age and Maund is a proven MLS player, Straith is a wild card who is likely more expensive and requires an international roster spot. The fact that Straith lost out at CB to Vitoria, Jakovic, and James for Gold Cup minutes isn't a great sign either, as there isn't a great argument any of the three would be anything but MLS bench players themselves. 

9 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Can't say I've followed Maund's career to closely, but he's had a decent career in MLS. Straith hasn't played at a MLS level club in 5 years. They are the same age and Maund is a proven MLS player, Straith is a wild card who is likely more expensive and requires an international roster spot. The fact that Straith lost out at CB to Vitoria, Jakovic, and James for Gold Cup minutes isn't a great sign either, as there isn't a great argument any of the three would be anything but MLS bench players themselves. 

Heck, Jakovic and Vitoria were MLS bench players!