The Floro Replacement

matty

6 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

If they don't ever get the right person then what's the hurry? At least they'll have a cheaper wrong person in place.

That's not my point. They do these long searches for coaches they commit to for ages and get zero results. There is no way to get a guarantee. But by doing the long hunts for the "right guy" waiting and letting an under skilled interim coach run the squad for almost a year and giving them the team for a MAJOR TOURNAMENT you damage the reputation of your FA and risk hurting your teams standing in the world (which in CONCACAF means having less time to experiment and figure out your squad prior to entering WCQ).

Findlay is a smart and very nice man who is key to this program (and should be going forward) but he should not be in charge of the team going into the Gold Cup

Regarding the "right person" issue, they need to be willing to fire people if the results are not there in big games.

Also if they're so worried by money then play some home friendlies and sell tickets instead of all these closed door or neautral friendlies

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else having a hard time picturing a candidate with better qualifications than Floro?

Unless we pony up a ton of money, we aren't going to find a "qualified" coach who is willing to take on this role.

By the way, what was Floro's salary? 400k a year? 

Perhaps leaving the post vacant for such a long period not only allows the CSA to a find the right man, but also allows the CSA to afford him...

42 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Anyone else having a hard time picturing a candidate with better qualifications than Floro?

Unless we pony up a ton of money, we aren't going to find a "qualified" coach who is willing to take on this role.

By the way, what was Floro's salary? 400k a year? 

Perhaps leaving the post vacant for such a long period not only allows the CSA to a find the right man, but also allows the CSA to afford him...

Floro is believed to have been paid 350k. Most MLS coaches likely make around 250-300k. I believe Sigi made around 600k.

Hans Backe seems doable. It's unlikely he was being paid more than the 200,000 Euro ($280,000 Canadian)

Despite his shitty run with Finland, Backe is an ideal candidate we could afford

Maybe on the qualifications, certainly tough on the experience and breadth of it.  That said very little or it was successful. 

Maybe someone that was relevant this decade would be nice too but maybe we can't have our cake and eat it. 

Floro was a step up from the past but still a bargain basement appointment that made Joe kinnear at Newcastle look like mourinho.

17 minutes ago, matty said:

Floro is believed to have been paid 350k. Most MLS coaches likely make around 250-300k. I believe Sigi made around 600k.

Hans Backe seems doable. It's unlikely he was being paid more than the 200,000 Euro ($280,000 Canadian)

Despite his shitty run with Finland, Backe is an ideal candidate we could afford

That would be a good appointment for us. Good, but not great. He'd be an "as good as were realistically going to get" type of hire.

I'm afraid that with the players we have, it will take an extraordinary coach to bring us to the World Cup. Not just a "good" coach.

And to attract such a coach we need money. Lots of it.

Again, I think Backe is a good choice, but not if we have to wait a full year to bring him in. That just doesn't make sense to me.

On the timeline for hiring:

The goal for the next hire is to make the World Cup Finals. I'm fine with dropping a stinker Gold Cup performance if we're still moving forward with the ultimate goal of getting that coach. That's the advantage of dropping out of this cycle so early. We can take our time to find the right guy and it won't hurt us (in terms of WC Qualifying for next time.)

2 minutes ago, GimliJetsMan said:

That's the advantage of dropping out of this cycle so early. We can take our time to find the right guy and it won't hurt us (in terms of WC Qualifying for next time.)

How? Unless they're changing the format for qualification (which seems unlikely given they'll have to change it again in 2026), then it very much could hurt us in terms of when we enter wcq.

6 minutes ago, matty said:

How? Unless they're changing the format for qualification (which seems unlikely given they'll have to change it again in 2026), then it very much could hurt us in terms of when we enter wcq.

Sorry I wasn't clear.

It's not an overall advantage, it really F****** sucks. I'm so sour about not competing, and I think that not reaching the hex this cycle could really screw us next cycle, in terms of experience.

It does help us pick a new coach, as the goal of the next coach should be to get us to qualify. So we can take our time with hiring the right guy, and not have it damage our chances too much in the next cycle. If we had a shorter turnaround time, and we fired Floro, the pressure would be on to rush a guy into that spot. Now we can take our time, and not make any rash decisions. (Theoretically)

10 minutes ago, GimliJetsMan said:

The goal for the next hire is to make the World Cup Finals. I'm fine with dropping a stinker Gold Cup performance if we're still moving forward with the ultimate goal of getting that coach. That's the advantage of dropping out of this cycle so early. We can take our time to find the right guy and it won't hurt us (in terms of WC Qualifying for next time.)

the fact that you think theyre taking the "time to find the right guy" is cute, but that's not whats happening here

Just now, Floortom said:

the fact that you think theyre taking the "time to find the right guy" is cute, but that's not whats happening here

What can I say, I'm an optimist.

It's like I always come crawling back to my abuser.

"They didn't really mean to hurt me. Don't worry they'll change, it was my fault anyway, I should have cheered harder."

4 minutes ago, zaltan said:

Has any one been a Findlay session or sat in a tactical set up meeting? How are the players liking him, before we clammer for some one we might have some one good under our noise

The players like him (Arfield feels he gets the game) but the he's not very good atm when it comes to tactics or at providing criticism.

19 hours ago, GimliJetsMan said:

Dropping a stinker Gold Cup performance hurts perception of the program while more importantly hurting out World Ranking, which hurts our World Cup qualifying draw, which hurts our ability to qualify for the World Cup.

There is no advantage to losing games.

19 hours ago, zaltan said:

Has any one been a Findlay session or sat in a tactical set up meeting? How are the players liking him, before we clammer for some one we might have some one good under our noise

Has he been through a successful World Cup qualifying campaign in the CONCACAF region before? If not, then for me he is not a good candidate.

2 hours ago, masster said:

Dropping a stinker Gold Cup performance hurts perception of the program while more importantly hurting out maintaining our pathetic World Ranking, which hurts our World Cup qualifying draw, which hurts our ability to qualify for the World Cup.

There is no advantage to losing games.

FYP

22 hours ago, GimliJetsMan said:

The problem is this Gold Cup is a "golden age" if you will for us that probably won't be around for next WCQ.  Atiba Hutchinson at 34 is probably playing the best football a Canadian has ever played and this could be his last tournament with us if he sticks around.  I feel like we're not doing a team that could feature Hoilett, Arfield, Hutchinson, Larin, Johnson justice by not giving them a proper manager... I think with a full team we have the talent to actually do something in the competition for the first time in 10 years.

49 minutes ago, Keegan said:

The problem is this Gold Cup is a "golden age" if you will for us that probably won't be around for next WCQ.  Atiba Hutchinson at 34 is probably playing the best football a Canadian has ever played and this could be his last tournament with us if he sticks around.  I feel like we're not doing a team that could feature Hoilett, Arfield, Hutchinson, Larin, Johnson justice by not giving them a proper manager... I think with a full team we have the talent to actually do something in the competition for the first time in 10 years.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here on your assertion of the "Golden Generation". I don't know if hiring the appropriate coach (whomever that is) really makes a lot of impact on the results when it comes to our national team.

While I agree with you that we need to have a manager in place by the time Gold Cup arrives, I think you're overrating what the national team with these players in the lineup can actually accomplish on the pitch. The only thing the national team has accomplished on the pitch in the last 10 years is not fully falling to minnow status. But frankly, they're damn close to being one.

And I didn't see anything different with the shiny new additions of Hoilett, Arfield and Larin in the last WCQ. The team starting 4 of the 5 mentioned (minus Arfield against Mexico and minus Johnson against Honduras) were completely outclassed in the 3 games against these opponents when it mattered. Will having all 5 in the lineup change things? I don't know.

Perhaps I'm being too much of a pessimist, but I will believe that the team with the 5 players mentioned can actually get a result when they actually do it.

17 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Claudio Ranieri!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would love to have the Tinkerman manage Canada.  But there are probably 1,000 better options for him than us.

On a more relevant football note...I really despise the short-termism of football and some of its supporters.  I think it is absurd to sack a manager who has won one of the most unexpected top flight league championships in history less than 9 months ago. 

Having a Division 1 League in CPL makes us a more desirable spot for a good manager. Without it, you're asking managers to pull a miracle or setting them up for failure. Might be why CSA is in no hurry...who are they going to get in this status quo?

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Would love to have the Tinkerman manage Canada.  But there are probably 1,000 better options for him than us.

On a more relevant football note...I really despise the short-termism of football and some of its supporters.  I think it is absurd to sack a manager who has won one of the most unexpected top flight league championships in history less than 9 months ago. 

Hope they get Alan Pardew. At this point it's what they deserve.

Archived