The Floro Replacement

matty

17 minutes ago, matty said:

Does anyone know if the CSA exclusively hire from their pool of applicants or will they actually contact someone that hasn't applied that they may be interested in?

I don't know for a fact that they do not only hire from this pool, but it would shock me if they did not pursue their owns targets. It would not surprise me if Floro did not apply on his own.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ruffian said:

I don't know for a fact that they do not only hire from this pool, but it would shock me if they did not pursue their owns targets. It would not surprise me if Floro did not apply on his own.

Same for the former but I just find it weird that they always mention how many applicants they get and how many contenders they get from that pool.

37 minutes ago, matty said:

Same for the former but I just find it weird that they always mention how many applicants they get and how many contenders they get from that pool.

I think the reasoning is that it looks like they have so much work to do and are taking their time doing due diligence.

The impression they want to give: "We've had 80 applicants, so this is going to take a while. We will leave no stone unturned and make sure we get the right person for the job."

The reality: "I've got my reminder set in my calendar to start looking for a manager 6 months before 2022 World Cup qualifying begins. Our budget only allows for us to have a head coach for 2 out of every 4 years."

6 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

And you, my friend, will have just violated federal law. The government is paying, they need an advertisement. Canada is not alone. I know Australia and Hong Kong do it too, because they have to do so as well. It's not amateurism it is supposed to be for transparency and to guard against corruption. But don't think the federations take the advert seriously or that they aren't going through other channels. I do wonder if any open call applicants ever get an interview, much less the job - I would doubt it.

PS - just do a quick google search, Belgium's advertisement from 2016 will appear (amateur, eh), and even China's (so much for anti-corruption efforts).

Fuck federal law, this is football

(Boy was that fun to post!!)

When the CSA does not achieve its goals with Floro, a shared failure since Victor hired him and bet on him until the bitter end, they had to have taken some lessons from the experience. The players did, so it seems, more than the fans; but the CSA had to have learnt from the experience. 

I am guessing, but:

-they did not conclude it was the wrong way to go and we had to return to hiring an up and coming Canadian

-they did not conclude that playing tight defensively and taking less risks, trying to stay close in games, was the wrong way to go about things. 

-they did not conclude it was fully Floro's fault that we had problems scoring in crucial moments. 

So I would have said:

-let's try to build on what we have done with Floro, with his experience, but try to add a bit to the philosophy, such as 1) a bit more modern approach to football, like not defending free kicks in the face of the keeper, so probably younger, 2) someone with better communication skills in English; 3) someone able to come with an experienced assistant and not just his novice kid along for the ride; 4)someone in that price range and a good deal for the money. 

I am just speculating, but I would have taken those conclusions. And would thus have probably eliminated about 75% of the applicants from the start, sight unseen. 

Or I would have already had a few names in mind who fit the bill, whether free at the moment or not.

8 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

And you, my friend, will have just violated federal law. The government is paying, they need an advertisement. Canada is not alone. I know Australia and Hong Kong do it too, because they have to do so as well. It's not amateurism it is supposed to be for transparency and to guard against corruption. But don't think the federations take the advert seriously or that they aren't going through other channels. I do wonder if any open call applicants ever get an interview, much less the job - I would doubt it.

PS - just do a quick google search, Belgium's advertisement from 2016 will appear (amateur, eh), and even China's (so much for anti-corruption efforts).

And as for Google searches, Belgium fired Wilmots after the Eurocup, around the 14th and hired Martínez on the 3rd of August, not 20 days delay.

If you think the advertisement had anything to do with that hiring you are deluded. Martínez, by the way, was sacked in May and was in market from the day Everton let him go. 

Belgium did not use an open call to hire their national coach, they are not amateurs.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

And as for Google searches, Belgium fired Wilmots after the Eurocup, around the 14th and hired Martínez on the 3rd of August, not 20 days delay.

If you think the advertisement had anything to do with that hiring you are deluded. Martínez, by the way, was sacked in May and was in market from the day Everton let him go. 

Belgium did not use an open call to hire their national coach, they are not amateurs.

You're not arguing with me here. Read what I said: "But don't think the federations take the advert seriously or that they aren't going through other channels. I do wonder if any open call applicants ever get an interview, much less the job - I would doubt it."

We agree. My point is they probably have to do it, like many others. You seemed to say that having an advert showed we're amateur. I was saying that it's not the case. But we also probably agree that we're amateur!

Incidentally, I agree with your above post too on the takeaways and conclusions to take going forward in the hiring.

I have just heard a story about the manager of Cameroon, Hugo Broos, got the job after applying to the online advertisement for the job. He has just won the CAF with a very unfancied group of players, which is nothing to look down your nose at. 

"Initially you were not on the shortlist of the Cameroon football federation, FECAFOOT. Did that bother you?
No, but a lot of people did seem bothered. Why should it bother me? Choices were made and I’m now the coach of Cameroon. I applied last December ....
http://www.worldsoccer.com/features/face-to-face-hugo-broos-394970

EDIT: this isn't where I actually heard the story originally (I'm pretty sure I heard it on The Game podcast from the Times) but this was an article to back up the story.

31 minutes ago, Big_M said:

I'd never heard the rumours linking Wynalda to the CMNT job. My guess is this job will allow him to continue his broadcasting career with Fox Sports. I find him a decent analyst on the Bundesliga games. 

18 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

You're not arguing with me here. Read what I said: "But don't think the federations take the advert seriously or that they aren't going through other channels. I do wonder if any open call applicants ever get an interview, much less the job - I would doubt it."

We agree. My point is they probably have to do it, like many others. You seemed to say that having an advert showed we're amateur. I was saying that it's not the case. But we also probably agree that we're amateur!

Incidentally, I agree with your above post too on the takeaways and conclusions to take going forward in the hiring.

You are probably right, I am not arguing with you here. Or maybe I am. 

I am saying that an open call is a bad idea and amateur. And even if Cameroon got a coach who took them to the Africa Nations Cup by that route, I still think it is amateur. So congratulations to Cameroon for the way the ball bounced. 

Right now, pick any team in any league of the world. What the hell is the club president doing, if he is  not thinking about the need to fire his coach if things don't work out well. With maybe one clear exception, Kroenke and Usmanov choosing to stay with the same coach they bought into at Arsenal. IMO he has underperformed, the team has underperformed for about a decade, a team with all the potential to win, as much as any other English club. 

What was the CSA board doing in the weeks leading up to those final two matches vs. Honduras and ES. Sitting there like guys who'd bet on a roulette wheel, edgy, fidgeting, hoping they'd win. Blind to the possibility of losing. Desperate and dumb? They had no contingency? No Plan B? They were unable to think about another set of decisions within their power, and to prepare for them? Were they like farmers hoping the crop would not frost over, with no insurance policies in place, or plastics to put over top of the plants?

Thing is, these guys, the same ones who are acting amateur now, are obviously not qualified to hire the person that will solve their and our problem, success at CMNT level. You can't have a farmer who lets his crops freeze over put in charge of agricultural policy.

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, matty said:

I will bet you 7 whole imaginary dollars this is what the csa was waiting for ?

Simply just waiting until enough people are resigned to keeping Findlay. Then they can point to his record for why they think he can keep the forward momentum and that while they tried hard and exhausted all search options ultimately no one knows the canadian system as well as Findlay. 

21 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Simply just waiting until enough people are resigned to keeping Findlay. Then they can point to his record for why they think he can keep the forward momentum and that while they tried hard and exhausted all search options ultimately no one knows the canadian system as well as Findlay. 

If this actually happens everyone on this site should write a letter to csa hq compaining about how much of a joke they're making the canadian system look.

6 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Is my dream of a Central/South American coach dead? Most names I'm seeing are MLS/UK ilk..

Doubt it's dead. It's just that it's harder to keep track of who's working down there.

16 hours ago, Floortom said:

You have to be delusional to think that the CSA is conducting a search in earnest. They will sit on the cheap replacement with no resume for as long as possible to save a few $$s. Before the next WCQ they will bring in a C-level coach like always. 

I will bet you 6 imaginary dollars you are right

The dream of a decent coach looks dead or to be more blunt was maybe always a non starter. I'm fine with waiting and doing due diligence and really getting the right person. That could all be happening it's just there is no signs of it and updates have shown it is not a pressing priority for the csa. 

We are in the painful zone between fanatic impatience and csa professionalism trying to get a coach. The overwhelming former certainly highlights a complete lack of faith in the CSA whether they have a plan or not.

I hope they actually start showing it is a priority and release some more information to support that as its starting to look ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, matty said:

But when in the last decade and a half have they done that? Also having an interim at the Gold Cup is a fucking joke

If they don't ever get the right person then what's the hurry? At least they'll have a cheaper wrong person in place.

Archived