Impact 2016

shermanator

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/30/2016 at 10:46 AM, canucklefan said:

I'm not an Impact fan but I must say, I'm f*cking tired of this poster. Every thread that is not related to the Whitecaps or the MLS, this MLS snub is always antagonizing the rest of the forum. Be it TFC fans or Montreal fans. He does the same in the NASL and CPL threads. Pathetic.

Just to be clear...he was ripping on the Whitecaps too.

Impact's CCL experience could push them into next round. Although it will not bring them to the Club World Cup the playoffs is something worth winning even though they can't be rewarded with a Champion's League berth.  Having been finalists the players know how to a push any NY or Toronto team aside. The weakness off the bench however may be a problem. The Red Bulls can be deadly at home and no one knows that more than Montreal. Montreal has come on top when in the underdog position (winning at BMO Field and RFK recently). Will Drogba be a factor?

It's lame that should Impact win they are not given a CCL berth. I'd say the same for TO but they already have a spot cause of the VCup this year. All because they're Cdn clubs? That's BS. A Champion is a champion. I believe proportionately Cdn Clubs considering they're low numbers and only having one spot in the CCL do just as well if not better than US teams and for sure better than Central American Nations that get min two teams from their own countries in the tournament. 

2 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

It's lame that should Impact win they are not given a CCL berth. I'd say the same for TO but they already have a spot cause of the VCup this year. All because they're Cdn clubs? That's BS. A Champion is a champion. I believe proportionately Cdn Clubs considering they're low numbers and only having one spot in the CCL do just as well if not better than US teams and for sure better than Central American Nations that get min two teams from their own countries in the tournament. 

Let Montreal win first, then when USSF says you do not get CCL birth sue United States government under NAFTA provisions.

On 1/11/2016 at 3:01 PM, Moldy9 said:

Thing is, the CSA designates the V-Cup as our rep, and the US designates the MLS Cup winner as one of theirs. It is not the USSF's responsibility to decide how we choose our Concachampions spot.

If the CSA wanted to, they could take our one spot and make the V-Cup winner play the MLS winner to decide our spot, as a provision, in case it happens. Would that make folks happier?

Because we have only one spot. That is not bad considering we have three teams in top flight, and only 5 currently fighting to get that spot. Very high odds for our teams (I am one of those who believes we definitely should not have more "births" --would someone change that fcking thread title?).

Just me or anyone feeling there's been little hype generated on the matches tomorrow? TSN had a few segments in TFC discussing the importance of the match, RDS just a few videos but no talking heads really. And MLS forget it, Just articles on the Red Bull's and what they need to do to overcome the previous loss. 

Look forward to the MLS scripting an all Cdn semis. Fingers crossed. 

57 minutes ago, Moldy9 said:

Just me or anyone feeling there's been little hype generated on the matches tomorrow? TSN had a few segments in TFC discussing the importance of the match, RDS just a few videos but no talking heads really. And MLS forget it, Just articles on the Red Bull's and what they need to do to overcome the previous loss. 

Look forward to the MLS scripting an all Cdn semis. Fingers crossed. 

TSN has concentrated more on replaying the TFC home leg a couple of times now on one of their channels (mainly TSN2).

On 11/6/2016 at 11:29 PM, Ansem said:

Piatti at $426k plays like a $7M DP. great scouting Montreal.

That's the kind of scouting CPL needs

http://www.mountroyalsoccer.com/2016/5/19/11713322/montreal-impact-players-salaries-2016-released-by-major-league-soccer

Yea, I was surprised at that too.  I thought for sure he was on DP money.  Something doesn't add up, did they mix up Piatti and Ciman's salaries in that listing? Ciman is apparently on DP money even though he isn't listed as such while Piatti is a DP but on non-DP money?   

6 minutes ago, Keegan said:

http://www.mountroyalsoccer.com/2016/5/19/11713322/montreal-impact-players-salaries-2016-released-by-major-league-soccer

Yea, I was surprised at that too.  I thought for sure he was on DP money.  Something doesn't add up, did they mix up Piatti and Ciman's salaries in that listing? Ciman is apparently on DP money even though he isn't listed as such while Piatti is a DP but on non-DP money?   

Pure scouting my friend. He was an unknown when Montreal found him but they saw the raw talent in him and his potential. That's why he's getting that salary.

That's how CPL can succeed. Found the "Piatti" of South America, Africa and the Caribbean and sign them as DP under similar contract and get them to reach their full potential so they play like MLS DP at a cheaper cost 

48 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Pure scouting my friend. He was an unknown when Montreal found him but they saw the raw talent in him and his potential. That's why he's getting that salary.

That's how CPL can succeed. Found the "Piatti" of South America, Africa and the Caribbean and sign them as DP under similar contract and get them to reach their full potential so they play like MLS DP at a cheaper cost 

He wasn't an unknown, he had played two years in Serie A sandwiched by several years in the Argentine first league and was becoming a dominant player in the Argentinian league and Liberatadores when we signed him. There were also European clubs after him when we signed him and San Lorenzo tried their best to retain him also. We got lucky in signing him when we did because he was a good player coming in to his prime but going and finding guys like this is easier said than done especially in a Canadian league which will probably not be very big budget. The Impact always seem to have a few players on contracts that are lower than one would think they should be and I suspect the Impact and also many other MLS teams find ways of getting around the salary cap.

Archived