Impact 2016

shermanator

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the other side of the country, it seems like the media is making a bigger deal of this Drogba thing than the team and the supporters. Would you guys say that is accurate?

I mean if he is a malcontent, let him sit. The stats back Biello up, Their record is better without him. Move on and try to win games just like they did tonight.

The Impact playing like this would drive me crazy as an opposing fan. Time wasting from minute 1, a good defensive shell and then a lethal counter-attack. They are in tough against a NYRB team that is one of the best-ever squads in MLS history. NYRB doesn't have the big names of NYC FC but there are some nice storylines with Marsch and Felipe returning and the cities are close enough to have some travelling support adding atmosphere.

On 2016-10-26 at 9:14 PM, Moldy9 said:

I just noticed something regarding the Impact's big name players that leave the club. Drogba has contributed more than Nesta and aside from 2 VCups has taken the Impact further in the playoffs than Di Vaio, sold more tickets and merchandise, more notoriety (good & bad) and he is not getting a send off?

IMG_3882.JPG

The way Drogba acted at the end of this year ruined his chance of getting a nice send off IMO.

Someone who deserves it much more is Bernier. Hopefully he comes back next year in a similar role to this year, but if he doesn't they definitely need to give him a proper send off.

8 hours ago, masster said:

From the other side of the country, it seems like the media is making a bigger deal of this Drogba thing than the team and the supporters. Would you guys say that is accurate?

I mean if he is a malcontent, let him sit. The stats back Biello up, Their record is better without him. Move on and try to win games just like they did tonight.

I think this is a major story line with the fans as well. The club is definitely trying to keep things quiet though.

What's the point of having TSN 1,2,3,4,5 and RDS 1,2 when none of them are broadcasting the Impact vs Red Bull's in Playoffs yet instead have all channels full tilt on CFL in a nothing game in Montreal with Als vs Stampeders: who the f cares!?  It's not an important game, Als not making the playoffs. Seriously don't get it. I thought the point of having 4 channels was to get full coverage and not bs JIP. 

3 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

What's the point of having TSN 1,2,3,4,5 and RDS 1,2 when none of them are broadcasting the Impact vs Red Bull's in Playoffs yet instead have all channels full tilt on CFL in a nothing game in Montreal with Als vs Stampeders: who the f cares!?  It's not an important game, Als not making the playoffs. Seriously don't get it. I thought the point of having 4 channels was to get full coverage and not bs JIP. 

What is crazy is that why would MLS put the Montreal game in that time slot if it wasn't going to be on Canadian TV? They could have scheduled the 4 games differently but there was probably pressure from the American networks. Canadian fans get screwed again.

In addition, TSN probably wouldn't fight them on this if they aren't going to have MLS rights next season anyways.

I was pretty negative about our chances in the playoffs but that game against DC was probably our best game all year. Mancuso has been a great signing, unlike Drogba he combines well with Piatti. I would have said previously we have no chance against NYRB but if we play like we did Thursday we could beat them.

On 10/25/2016 at 10:34 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

So, since Impact fans have little else to think about this week: what would you recommend to the Whitecaps when it comes to the final rounds of Champions League play in the spring? Is it worth preparing specifically for it an peaking? Should a team sign specifically for it, even though it would be a max 6 games? Do you look back and think about how you could have taken it?

Just curious, since, as a Caps fan, I am a mere spectator from here on in with MLS, though I always like to see Canadian teams get as far as possible.

The Champions League is so much better than MLS that any team that makes it should make it their number 1 priority. As far as looking back, it was an amazing run and we really got screwed on the yellow card to Bush but one still has to admit that as an amazing an accomplishment it was to take a point and almost 3 in Azteca, America was still the better team so it does not hurt too much that we did not win. The last second loss to Santos Laguna years earlier hurts more although that also was an amazing run and a great experience watching the Impact away in Mexico. 

Bluntly, I think the Impact's CCL runs are the most over-rated Canadian club soccer moments in recent history. The Impact's mediocre teams bunkered and got lucky for two rounds in a row and then got smoked when a team finally took them seriously. I don't know how excited you can get about that, it's not really a reflection of the quality of the club but a small sample size outlier in results, like Greece winning the Euro.

14 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Bluntly, I think the Impact's CCL runs are the most over-rated Canadian club soccer moments in recent history. The Impact's mediocre teams bunkered and got lucky for two rounds in a row and then got smoked when a team finally took them seriously. I don't know how excited you can get about that, it's not really a reflection of the quality of the club but a small sample size outlier in results, like Greece winning the Euro.

We almost won against Mexico's top team in a high altitude stadium where very few teams win and with a bit better reffing maybe we would have won. At the halftime in Montreal we were leading 1-0. America had a good 16 minutes in which they scored 3 goals though it also had to do with us being forced to use a very weak borrowed keeper due to a BS suspension of Bush. If anything America had a good short burst during a two game series in which they were outplayed for much of it. Losing 5-3 on aggregate is not getting smoked by any definition of the term. We also totally outplayed Alajuense despite being a bit shaky near the end of the second game and the Pachuca series was pretty evenly played as well. And we dominated in the group stage. There is nothing overrated about this accomplishment at all. 

Regarding the Drogba situation, it is right that Mancosu is starting because while obviously not being nearly the calibre of Drogba in his prime he is playing better than Drogba is right now and combines better with Piatti. I thought when we signed him he would be a good signing even though people were bitching because it was another Italian and they never heard of him and he did not score a lot of goals in Serie A. However, he scored a lot of goals in Serie B which is more equivalent to MLS than Serie A and even his Serie A goals per minute is not too bad, he just hardly got on the pitch in Serie A.  Drogba hasn't looked too bad this year when you watch him play but he hasn't been effective ie. he makes some nice plays and does some impressive things but it never seems to result in much. The Impact really lack a playmaking central mid and that probably hurts Drogba's style too since often he has been playing that role of trying to create something instead of just being a striker. It is hard to say if he decline this season is because he is too old or the Impact players and tactics just don't suit him.

If Drogba just refused to play as a sub for egotistical reasons then I think that is inexcusable. However, I have a feeling there is more to this story than we know at the moment. For one thing he had already played quite a few games this season as a sub with no public sign of displeasure. Plus the Impact is still run by an owner who is too involved in the sporting decisions and employs the seemingly impossible to get fired Nick De Santis who is running the show no matter how many times he gets fired/shuffled to a new position. The Impact have a long history of treating players poorly. 5 years later we still don't know why they stopped playing Ali Gerba and there is a long list of similar stories and pissed off players leaving the organization. So I suspect there may be more to the story than what we are hearing and am willing to cut Drogba some slack until we know all the details though given the Gerba precedent we may never find out. 

8 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

That is quite unfair to Impact. Luck is basically how most teams win the MLS Cup, lucky rounds-- and a hell of a lot of national FA cups go this way too.  Luck is a huge factor in competitions like the Eurocup as well, as short knock.out competitions are like that. Only balanced schedule leagues over 30 plus games cannot be attributed, usually, to luck.

I would be happy for Whitecaps go get past a couple rounds into a final, and I'd take it happily, even if it were totally unfair. Same goes for Impact and TFC today, would have no problem to see the refs unfairly red card some key rival player and have both go through. Because let's face it, Portland was the defending champ, Portland, repeat it in awe. Frigging Portland. It is not like there is some high moral imperative to win beautifully in MLS.

11 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Sorry but this post is terrible.

15 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

You have no idea what you're talking about and are grossly inaccurate. Did you even watch the games? Montreal was competitive in all their matches. It wasn't a Greece 04, Portugal 16, or Canada 2000 for that matter.

I'll break it down for you: They won all their group games except for one:  a draw away vs NYRB.

In the Quarters they went to Mexico and got a two goal lead vs Pachuca in the altitude. Pachuca clawed their way back to draw. They drew at home vs Pachuca who themselves got lucky to take the lead on a PK in the 2nd half. Yes it was the miracle 93' Hail Mary goal by Porter that make it fairytale cup runesque however don't get confused the pass, reception and the strike were excellently executed. It was no fluke. This was the only game where the Impact didn't score the first goal.

Semis. Impact commanded their match at home vs Alajuelense winning 2-0. They went to a very intimidating stadium more than what I've seen Canada ever face, and scored the first goal, then Romero scored a second to level 2-2 (4:2agg) from there they did what they had to do to make it to the final. 

Final. They scored the opening goal at bloody Azteca!!! They almost won at Azteca which very few opponents and no MLS team has done. They conceded a goal in the end of reg time. 

2nd leg. Romero scored the opening goal after 8' and took the lead all the way to 51' when the wheels came off. We didn't have Bush but instead a shitty NASL keeper Cristian Nicht who Brüno would say was "a Nicht Nicht."  Cabrera, and Camara were injured and Reo Coker had to play defense whom was at fault for half the goals. Jack Mac scored an honour goal but it was too late as the damage was done and the team realized the dream was over.

For more details check my video. It has great clips and is a cinematic review of what I've just described to you. Enjoy!

16 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

I'm not an Impact fan but I must say, I'm f*cking tired of this poster. Every thread that is not related to the Whitecaps or the MLS, this MLS snub is always antagonizing the rest of the forum. Be it TFC fans or Montreal fans. He does the same in the NASL and CPL threads. Pathetic.

18 hours ago, masster said:

What is crazy is that why would MLS put the Montreal game in that time slot if it wasn't going to be on Canadian TV? They could have scheduled the 4 games differently but there was probably pressure from the American networks. Canadian fans get screwed again.

In addition, TSN probably wouldn't fight them on this if they aren't going to have MLS rights next season anyways.

CFL is only 2 TSNs (need to show in home market TSNs). Other TSN has FI (gets 2-3x higher ratings than MLS even though most are shown at 8am EST) & another has Jets game. Nascar is on the fifth which might be have been the only choice to bump in favour of Impact.

But real screw up was MLS/ESPN prefering Impact match at 3 when match at 5 would have created a nice double header for TSN.

Ouuf pretty bad attendance at Saputo. Wonder what's the excuse: Als game, fair "weather" fans (no pun intended ?), Drogba effect, match time or marketing? On marketing I've been getting constant emails on tickets so I doubt it's not cause people didn't know. 

18 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

c6226219cf75186c90c7e025c42e1eef.jpg

2 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

Ouuf pretty bad attendance at Saputo. Wonder what's the excuse: Als game, fair "weather" fans (no pun intended ?), Drogba effect, match time or marketing? On marketing I've been getting constant emails on tickets so I doubt it's not cause people didn't know. 

I can't see it being fair-weather fans considering it was a playoff game. Two days notice isn't huge, and you have to figure that people probably had prior arrangements elsewhere because of that.

I am glad Impact got through, they played fine, really did, and having watched part of Galaxy-Rapids, I'd say it was less insipid football. Okay, so MLS is, in general, insipid, it is like thin soup with no seasoning too often. I can't stand watching dumb decisions on the field by the same players over and over again.

But as I said, I think the Impact were fine, controlled the game properly, played seriously. The result is very good, one of the best wins out there for the 2nd leg where they can counter, like at DC United, and I think they'll be comfortable as hell. 

Personally, I like how TFC plays better, I am a Caps fan but just prefer the TFC play when it is rolling. 

Saputo: I was a bit shocked that fans did not seem to know what was happening on the pitch. I know this is totally unfair, watching on Eurosport, but some calls that needed the whole stadium to get on the ref were met with fan passivity, except with the supporter-group heavy endzone. I mean, no reaction to that foul where Piatti was splitting the defence, and looked to have been taken down. Nothing, fans fine with it. Correct me if I am wrong but a lot of those in the main stands are real newbies maybe?

I'm comfortable with the 1-0 lead going to NJ. IMFC has shown they're dangerous on the road.  There they can implement their style of game. Still think Drogba can be of use as a sub and nobody is as lethal when it comes to free kicks near the box. 

Archived