Impact 2016

shermanator

Figured the Impact don't have a thread so why not get one started. Of course, I start this not with talk about on the pitch stuff, but off the pitch stuff.

Former Impact defender Bakary Soumare, who recently retired due to concussion issues, and later revealed he has autism, held a press conference today to bash MLS for how they dealt with his concussion, and the Impact (specifically de Santis and Braz), implying that they colluded against him shadily. Yikes.

Andddddd discuss.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am certainly no fan of NDS and I dream of the day he leaves the club. I do believe Soumare's claims that NDS is in control of most of the sporting decisions in the club and interferes with coaching decisions. I have personally heard that from several former players and others involved in the club and if you follow the club closely it is hard not to notice that just from everything that happens. There have been times when certain coaches did seem to make their own decisions and ignore NDS but they were also usually fired shortly afterwards. Coaching the Impact seems to be mostly a one year job unless you are ok with being number 2 behind NDS. It is a big reason why we never get any well known prominent coaches and lose good coaches like Jesse Marsh. The best we can hope for is someone who is a good coach and is also able to work with NDS and influence his decisions positively and so far it seems like Biello is able to do this.

On the other hand Soumare's recent behaviour and statements seem really bizarre. He stated this week that he has been diagnosed with a form of autism which is fine and he should not be judged for that but at the same time he is acting very strangely which makes it hard to believe everything he says. I have been following his Twitter and he is not only railing against the Impact, FC Dallas and MLS but almost everything in his life. He went to a hospital in Chicago to visit a sick friend but couldn't find him and according to him the staff couldn't help him find him and he made it sound like some sort of conspiracy against him.

He makes claims that NDS is earning kickbacks from agents especially an Argentinian one based on his intuition not on any evidence. I think a lot of more stuff like this goes on in the sport than we realize and I am not the biggest NDS fan and there have been many weird player moves in the past so if it were true it would not surprise me but at the same time you can not make allegations like this based on intuition and not on proof. Then he claims that he was not upset when he was not playing about his own playing level but rather that Cebrara replaced him instead of Lefevre who was the one who deserved it according to Soumare. I was critical the first few games of Cebrara but he won me over with improved play and he is younger and has more potential than Lefevre so I can not criticize that decision and it is certainly not the place of players to say who should replace them. Plus it is really lacking class to bring former teammates who are still playing for the club into your argument with the club, I am pretty sure neither Lefevre or Cebrara want any part of this controversy. And Soumare was at one time a pretty good player but his last season in Chicago was poor. I thought as did many others that he was a good signing and would get back to form in Montreal but he did not play very well here either. As for the Argentinians, Bernardello as a DP was a strange and mystifying move but Piatti, Romero, Cebrara have all been very good additions to the club and the new Argentinian Ontivero has been impressive so far also.

This has been a bizarre drama and I am really not sure what Soumare is trying to accomplish with his actions. There are many former players, club employees and fans who don't like NDS and don't want him at the club but as long as Joey does not feel the same way he will be there whether we like it or not. And Soumare can not really claim to have been wronged, he came to the club and not only did not play as well as Ciman he did not play as well as either Cebrara or Lefevre so when he grumbled about not being played it is no surprise he got traded. And even surprisingly Bekker who no one expected anything out of has actually played pretty well in his limited minutes and much better than Soumare did. 

Here are two articles in French about the situation, one with some video of the press conference which was mostly in English:

http://www.rds.ca/soccer/impact/bakary-soumare-lance-de-graves-accusations-contre-l-impact-et-nick-de-santis-1.3173497

http://plus.lapresse.ca/screens/c579358e-86a3-4274-b150-775c1baecd56%7C_0.html

I've always had my suspicions of NDS.  That man has way too much power and puts his hands in other people's sandbox. It's the thing I despise most about my Montreal soccer club. In true Montréal fashion comes to light that there's some kickbacks and shady  affairs going on behind the scenes. I hope someone, a journalist with balls that's not in their pocket or law enforcement, investigates them and cleans house. 

Power to Baky for coming out with this scandal but he's gotta back these allegations. The media who I find sleep with NDS won't bring this scandal to light or dig deeperfor fear of losing access  or cause they're just puppets.  So far RDS is the only one posting   I've seen nothing archived on TSN 690 radio. Hello? Comments Barker? Butler? Marinero? Needham? Wilde?  Moffat? Aren't you all journalists??? Or are you on the payroll?

As a fan of this team it's tough and at times sickening. You want the team to do well, be legit with experienced competent staff and back office and make good signings or have a coach that is not a puppet but you have this shady entity that is often prone to mistakes and can never be eradicated. It's frustrating. You love the team but despise who's controlling it. Just arrogance. Like the Untouchables. It's a good thing for Saputo North American sports is a monopoly we are not like Europe or South America and have several clubs in one city cause the attitude I find of the back office is revolting. Makes you want to support another rival Montreal club if there was one. That would be amazing to have a rival NASL club downtown, Southshore or in the West Island.

I hope Sounare brings some facts so people can back him up like the ultras. Right now he's making it easy for them to say he's a mad man. 

Who's job is it to investigate these complaints/allegations? Is it solely up to Baky to bring forth evidence? Isn't that why we have investigative journalists? Why is this not making news on TSN, or TVA Sports that cover extensively the Impact?

And if Soumare is really messed up in the head like a lot of people are saying why isn't anyone trying to do something to help him get treatment rather then making someone with an illness make a fool of himself? If he's sick where's the compassion?

24 minutes ago, Moldy9 said:

Who's job is it to investigate these complaints/allegations? Is it solely up to Baky to bring forth evidence? Isn't that why we have investigative journalists? Why is this not making news on TSN, or TVA Sports that cover extensively the Impact?

And if Soumare is really messed up in the head like a lot of people are saying why isn't anyone trying to do something to help him get treatment rather then making someone with an illness make a fool of himself? If he's sick where's the compassion?

generally speaking if you bring forward allegations you should have some proof of them.

9 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

I've seen nothing archived on TSN 690 radio. Hello? Comments Barker? Butler? Marinero? Needham? Wilde?  Moffat? Aren't you all journalists??? Or are you on the payroll?

No they are not journalists but soccer analysts. I dislike NDS influence on the Impact as much as anyone but I'm with Grizzly on this one.

I'll agree that Baky was mostly responsible (along with Reo Coker) for the goals America scored on us in the final game of the Champions League. What surprises me is if he had beef to air to the public he had the time to do so when they sent him to Dallas and he was interviewed at the practice by the Qc media but instead composed himself and was reserved. Fast forward 10 months later and the Baky we see today is not the same one we saw that day when he got his transfer papers. So why is he a man unleashed? 

2 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

I'll agree that Baky was mostly responsible (along with Reo Coker) for the goals America scored on us in the final game of the Champions League. What surprises me is if he had beef to air to the public he had the time to do so when they sent him to Dallas and he was interviewed at the practice by the Qc media but instead composed himself and was reserved. Fast forward 10 months later and the Baky we see today is not the same one we saw that day when he got his transfer papers. So why is he a man unleashed? 

Are you sure about that? I remember that Soumaré was going to get traded soon and Soumaré was interviewed by Quebec media and he said strong stuff, it wasn't reserved. It looked like a player who clearly wanted out and he said that Braz was a puppet IIRC. I don't think that he was a man unleashed. He's the same player that did that. He wanted to get traded and was pretty blunt on getting out.

http://www.rds.ca/soccer/impact/l-impact-de-montreal-a-confirme-que-bakary-soumare-a-demande-a-etre-echange-mls-1.2501713

http://www.tvasports.ca/2016/03/23/soumare-est-atteint-dun-tsa

in this interview when he got traded he was pretty much tame in comparison to the tone he's letting out now. 

By the way everyone knows Braz is a puppet. Yeah one year he's the water boy and picking up stinky socks and after a year hiatus he's back and the man calling the shots and acquiring players... rrrrrrright. Who believes that? 

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

He wasn't reserved at the time. He went very hard at Braz.

If he was so hard on Braz and Co back then then what's the whole point of these accusations and complaining about them a second time almost a year later. 

On 4/2/2016 at 2:35 PM, Moldy9 said:

Maybe because none of us are medical professionals and none of us have any personal relationship with Soumare or even live in the same city or country. I have no clue whether he is sick or not, all I know is that he has stated that he is autistic, the way he posts on Twitter is strange and I find it a bit bizarre he flew all the way to Montreal to give a press conference about accusations based on his intuition and with so little proof that even most of the people who don't like NDS have trouble believing the accusations. 

On 4/2/2016 at 2:35 PM, Moldy9 said:

If Soumare is the one bringing forth the allegations then yes it is up to him to bring forth evidence. Unless there is some sort of evidence to back up his claims why would journalists waste their time on allegations based on intuition? There are journalists in Montreal who don't like NDS so if there is something there I am sure someone will investigate it. As I mentioned I have heard some bad things about NDS from former players and club employees but no one has ever mentioned that he was involved in improper financial transactions with agents. There were a lot of rumours though again never proven that Mo Johnson was doing this but I have never heard this said about NDS before.

Something happened to Soumare recently and now he is opening up about his life. He wanted to hold a big press conference in Montreal at the Ritz Carlton and in the end, it was pretty much a little get together with some members of the media. Apparently it was some pretty dark stuff said about the problems he has and is going through. A few of the media members that were there said they wouldn't report on the stuff said there for reasons that they wouldn't say. So it was a whole lot of nothing if you weren't there.

• 2 weeks later...

Montreal is playing really well, even without the extra class that Drogba and especially Piatti bring. The way they move the ball forward is very impressive. Everything seems to fit right now. Heck, I'm even starting to like the play of Oduro! Even though his place is obviously on the right side and not upfront. This guy just doesn't stop!

Bekker is making a good case for himself, his corners were more dangerous than Piatti's. And he keeps pace in the game with his short passes. In these last couple of games, I'm finally starting to see why a lot of coaches were so impressed by him at the draft. Still not your hard-nosed midfielder, but everything he does has a thought behind it. Very intelligent player, he deserves to stay in the starting 11 if you ask me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I received this today, for those of you don't know there were fans who were left dumbfounded that although the season started in March they delayed delivery to many until 5PM on the 22 of April and only if you were home at the time did you get your tickets.  

Dear Members, 

After playing two games at Stade Saputo, I wanted to take the time to apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused following the delayed delivery of your season ticket packages this year.

There is, quite frankly, no excuse for what we put you through at the onset of the season, and rest assured that we will take the necessary steps so that this situation never happens again.

At a time when we can count on a record number of members, we need to offer our loyal supporters better service every step of the way – and we will.

Thanks again for your patience throughout all this, and I hope you enjoy the season.

image-4.png

Joey Saputo

Quite the comeback by the Impact this weekend. Down 4-1 the Crew imploded and the Impact took advantage of the fall out between the massive egos of Kei Kamara who's a big crybaby that puts his own personal agenda ahead of the team's interest and another ego maniac in Higuain. Now there's talk that the Crew will have to get rid of one of those pre madonnas. Kei brings up the fact he doesn't need Pippa and that he  never depended on him to score his numerous amount of goals yet blames him for losing the golden boot last year since Giovinco scored 6 goals by PK. Boooo hoo what a baby. All about Kei. I wouldn't want him or Higuain on my Impact. Too much individualsism and would definitely be a cancer. I think Columbus will lose on this deal. Who wants toxicity? The players just devalued themselves. 

I like the observation made by the commentators in both videos in this ESPN link:

http://www.espnfc.us/club/columbus-crew-sc/183/blog/post/2868424/crew-sc-must-deal-higuain-or-kamara-to-help-heal-fractured-dressing-room

In case you missed it here's the clip of these babies fighting for the bottle w Drogba telling them to get their act together. At first I thought these guys were going to pull off some stunt with the score 3-1 like the hot dog PK of Messi and Suarez. But nope these guys really don't like each other. 

Archived