Impact 2016

shermanator

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think Tony Marinero echoed my sentiments when saying the Impact don't have the best players to utilize Drogba to his fullest potential. Montreal plays a counter attack and play little with the ball. Drogba would be better served off the bench as he doesn't have the pace to keep it up vs younger players for 90 mins. I do believe Drogba is still a major weapon for the team: nobody has the power to shoot the ball, the ability to take free kicks at net like him, or ground the ball from the air  to distribute it, or strength to hold off opponents, or head the ball in the net. Anyways I don't think this is the last time we see him in a Montreal uniform. He loves the game too much to leave on this note. 

On 21/10/2016 at 11:58 AM, OnkelDal said:

Never cared for it myself personally. But still thought that was flat out rude.

It was beyond rude.  I also don't see the need for an anthem during club matches, but not only was that rude to the singer, but also offensive, childish and disgraceful.  ...and any other negative adjective.

Meh. I know this last game meant very little but just watching some of the players make horrible plays and passes was very frustrating. Hope they don't bring back Venegas and Ontivero. Toia and Mallace played like crap. Oyongo had a pretty good game as well I was impressed with Choiniere. 

So, since Impact fans have little else to think about this week: what would you recommend to the Whitecaps when it comes to the final rounds of Champions League play in the spring? Is it worth preparing specifically for it an peaking? Should a team sign specifically for it, even though it would be a max 6 games? Do you look back and think about how you could have taken it?

Just curious, since, as a Caps fan, I am a mere spectator from here on in with MLS, though I always like to see Canadian teams get as far as possible.

Vancouver's season this year was similar to the Impacts in 2014 where they had a horrible year and focused on the CCL group stage. Management made lots of changes in the winter transfer window/off season bringing in Donadel, Ciman, Reo Coker, Oduro, Soumare Toia and Cabrera (unfortunately Oyongo did not play as he was standing off the transaction) so it would not be unusual for VW to do something similar and bring in added talent for their CCL run. Also the Impact got a lot of flack for being the worst team the year before however the team in 2015 barely resembled the one in 2014 and also they started slow that season because they were focused primarily on going far in the tournament. So the league took a back seat for the while. Hope the VW go far. Would also be a good experience for our Canadians Edgar, Aird and De Jong should they remain on the team as well as the younger Cdns. 

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So, since Impact fans have little else to think about this week: what would you recommend to the Whitecaps when it comes to the final rounds of Champions League play in the spring? Is it worth preparing specifically for it an peaking? Should a team sign specifically for it, even though it would be a max 6 games? Do you look back and think about how you could have taken it?

Just curious, since, as a Caps fan, I am a mere spectator from here on in with MLS, though I always like to see Canadian teams get as far as possible.

I think the Impact did okay with what they had. 

It would have been better if their backup keeper (Kronberg) and Oyongo weren't cup tied. The keeper situation really screwed us over with Bush getting suspended for the second leg of the final. Also the probably should have had another striker Di Vaio retiring left us with McInerny and Oduro up front, which mad most our offence come from the wings.

I don't know the Caps schedule but if they start with a game in Mexico or somewhere in Central America I'd definitely think they should train there for a week or 2 to gets used to the climate like the Impact did for their first game against Pachuca.

in the end you still have to defend because going into half time of the second leg, if I remember correctly we were going to win is the score stayed the way it was. Then in the second half Dario Benedetto scored a hatrick and the game was over. 

10 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

Was Crepeau really injured? I suspect he would have been better in nets than Cristian Nicht. Yep, we were 39 mins away from playing Real Madrid when the flood gates opened. Too bad Di Vaio couldn't sell his wife on him playing another year ?

Pretty sure Crepeau had a concussion or wrist injury earlier that year and I guess he wasn't fully fit for the final because he was on the bench. That would have been a real baptism by fire for Crepeau with his first professional game being in front of 60 000 people in a major international club competition final.

16 hours ago, farrelld said:

I don't know the Caps schedule but if they start with a game in Mexico or somewhere in Central America I'd definitely think they should train there for a week or 2 to gets used to the climate like the Impact did for their first game against Pachuca.

The Whitecaps will play New York Red Bulls in the quarterfinals, with the winner of that round playing the winner of Tigres / Pumas in the semis.

8 hours ago, shermanator said:

The Whitecaps will play New York Red Bulls in the quarterfinals, with the winner of that round playing the winner of Tigres / Pumas in the semis.

That kind of rough because you don't need to go down to mexico for preseason when the game is in new york and they might not even make it to mexico so it could be a waste of money entirely.

8 hours ago, shermanator said:

So Drogba is not making the trip to DC. Surprise! The guy has a hissy fit when he isn't started and bails on the team when they need him the most. Good riddance.

At the start of the year I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt but after recent evidence, he can't leave soon enough. However, if we make it to the next round I would definitely have him on the bench for a 20-minute sub appearance just because he could be lethal on a dangerous free kick.

Meh I can see why Drogba would be frustrated but jeopardizing the team by taking your ball and going home is very selfish. Seriously so much drama with this guy. I lost a ton of respect for him. Puts himself first. I expected more from him. The guy can bring people together to put down their guns but when he's asked to play a role he acts like a priss. 

I just noticed something regarding the Impact's big name players that leave the club. Drogba has contributed more than Nesta and aside from 2 VCups has taken the Impact further in the playoffs than Di Vaio, sold more tickets and merchandise, more notoriety (good & bad) and he is not getting a send off?

IMG_3882.JPG

12 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Why would they give a send off to a player who half assed 2/3 of his contract, and bailed on them at the end of his second season? A kick in the ass out the door is what he deserves, nothing more.

Lol. A little tongue and cheek. Seems like a pair of Italian boots is what they're going ahead with. As many can attest to you don't f*ck w Saputo and la famiglia. 

Noteable departures

IMG_3883.PNG

IMG_3885.PNG

Archived