Impact 2016

shermanator

At the meet and greet every summer someone always asks about Piatti's salary being so low, Saputo has said for more than 1 year now that the numbers are off and Piatti makes much more than the 400k reported.

I think we have to take these numbers with a grain of salt.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Ansem said:

Pure scouting my friend. He was an unknown when Montreal found him but they saw the raw talent in him and his potential. That's why he's getting that salary.

That's how CPL can succeed. Found the "Piatti" of South America, Africa and the Caribbean and sign them as DP under similar contract and get them to reach their full potential so they play like MLS DP at a cheaper cost 

No, I mean with MLS Piatti is registered as a DP and Ciman as a non-DP which is why the salaries look off.  

• 3 weeks later...

Well that's all folks. What a great run by the Impact going further than I thought they would've. I wasn't so optimistic when they started off vs D.C. but this group of veterans know when it counts and were able to put on the switch. 

They were Road Warriors. They dropped too many points at home you can imagine they would've had a better seeding if they did get results. And allowing goals on set plays and crosses in the box has been their weakness. 

How do they improve on that. It's back to the drawing board with the players below potentially leaving the club. Out of those players I hope Bernier comes back, that Lefevre gets extended cause I find he has potential. For me Shipp, Venegas and Ontivero must go. Kronberg should be replaced by Crépeau. 

IMG_3966.PNG

6 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

Well that's all folks. What a great run by the Impact going further than I thought they would've. I wasn't so optimistic when they started off vs D.C. but this group of veterans know when it counts and were able to put on the switch. 

Both TFC and the Impact played their most experienced team in the playoffs and it worked. It goes to show experience pays.

Good news is with just being a game away from the cup is that the pre season is only two and a half months away!

theres debate whether MTL should get some powerhouses in the back. I'm not certain if getting robust defenders is required. I think Bush needs to be more aggressive and Biello needs to realize whatever he's been doing to correct the problem that it ain't working. Either go back to the drawing board, ask uncle Saputo to put you on a defensive coaching course or employ someone as an assistant that knows what he's doing while making Biello look good. 

As for Drogba I think he was less productive this season 1 cause of age and 2 cause the delivery wasn't there like before. Oyongo is amazing but his crosses are not the best. Last year you had Dilly Duka, Justin Mapp and Andres Romero. Romero is coming back next season. I just can't see how Montreal could continue playing the counter next year. It's just waiting for few chances and being able to execute on those slight chances. By the start of extra time MTL were gassed and couldn't play anymore. Not to mention once TFC got what they wanted MTL had to bring the game to them and they couldn't respond cause that ain't their style. 

On 2016-12-02 at 7:52 PM, paul-collins said:

As a TFC fan, I say: good.  I want Montreal to be the worthy opponent they were this year.  Make us be our best.

I think everyone on this forum knows how competitive all three Cdn Clubs are so if TFC happen to win the cup which they're likely to, that will just push the Impact and VW to do better. 

We need to spend the big money on an offensive distributing midfielder which he have never had since we joined MLS. We need an upgrade at CB too over Cabrera/Lefevre but we should not have to spend too much for that. They keep saying Cabrera has potential but he is turning 24 and is still not a starting MLS level CB in my opinion and not worth the 250k we are paying him. We definitely need a better player to partner Ciman and a solid defensive guy to cover Ciman's mistakes. I think Biello made a big mistake in not getting Toia back into the lineup when he came back from injury though to be fair it was tough because all the games were important when he came back and he did not play much so never got back to his pre-injury form. However, an in form Toia is a good level MLS starter and Cebrera is not a good level MLS starter. Oyongo's natural position is on the left but he still plays well on the right and Camara is a better CB and partner for Ciman than Cebrera.   

16 hours ago, Grizzly said:

We need to spend the big money on an offensive distributing midfielder which he have never had since we joined MLS. We need an upgrade at CB too over Cabrera/Lefevre but we should not have to spend too much for that. They keep saying Cabrera has potential but he is turning 24 and is still not a starting MLS level CB in my opinion and not worth the 250k we are paying him. We definitely need a better player to partner Ciman and a solid defensive guy to cover Ciman's mistakes. I think Biello made a big mistake in not getting Toia back into the lineup when he came back from injury though to be fair it was tough because all the games were important when he came back and he did not play much so never got back to his pre-injury form. However, an in form Toia is a good level MLS starter and Cebrera is not a good level MLS starter. Oyongo's natural position is on the left but he still plays well on the right and Camara is a better CB and partner for Ciman than Cebrera.   

I think Cabrera is an MLS level starter, the problem is that Ciman and him play the same style and aren't really able to cover for each others mistakes. I don't think Toia starting would have changed much. I agree that Camara pairs with Ciman well but putting Toia on the right or left doesn't offer much in attack like Camara does and Oyongo can barley get crosses in on his good side so I don't want to see him on the right. 

The set play problem was that after the first game Camara was assigned to cover Altidore and Donadel got Hagglund while Cabrera was playing what looked like zone. Donadel got beat twice by Hagglund resulting in two goals for TFC.

• 1 month later...
On 2016-10-27 at 3:14 AM, Moldy9 said:

I just noticed something regarding the Impact's big name players that leave the club. Drogba has contributed more than Nesta and aside from 2 VCups has taken the Impact further in the playoffs than Di Vaio, sold more tickets and merchandise, more notoriety (good & bad) and he is not getting a send off?

IMG_3882.JPG

Yes we are well into the off season now and it was quite a remarkable 2016 for the Impact. I reminisced the Drogba era a bit and us Montrealers, Quebecers and Canadians were lucky to have him choose us.

I was nostalgic and decided to watch his welcomes from Shanghai, and Galatasaray but that welcome we gave him at Dorval was something special and definitely had the flavour of Montreal.

Yeah ups and downs but more ups than downs and just going over his career highlight reel you can feel where he was coming from. I think one of the most touching moments was seeing him on Tout le monde en parle the part they spoke about the civil war in Ivory Coast. The clip is poignant.

There are very few people like Didier Drogba on this planet and we were lucky to have had him as one of our own. One of the biggest stars to have come to our club. He made a massive impact not only on the field but the mentality of this club that will hopefully last forever.

To the King and Legend, may God Bless you in your future endeavors.

IMG_4244.JPG

Archived