WCQ Canada-Mexico 25 March Postgame

32 minutes ago, Califax said:

We lost and ill take it... But how the two footer on dejong 5 mins in and bringing down atiba in the box werent cards, ill never know.

The ref was a coward.

Refs should never be in a position to affect the outcome of a game. Happens much too often in soccer probably more than most other sports.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really? I thought the ref's performance was one of the best I've ever seen in Concacaf! Both ways, let them play, played advantage well, told people to get the f up. The Hoilett tackle and the two penalty shouts could have been game-changers, but he got all three correct imo.

I agree with the sentiment that we should be integrating more younger players. Floro has called quite a few, but when push comes to shove for important matches it's always the vets - whom I love but have never got the job done - that make up most of the squad.

Players like Petrasso, Aleman, Frose, Bustos, Traffod, Adekube, etc seem to have great potential, and aren't even playing at a lower level than the Straith, De Guzman, De Jong, and Ledgerwood etc!

Toisaint Ricketts is unattached for cryin' out loud! How much worse could a Petrasso, Aleman, or Bustos possibly be? Or, given a chance, how much better?

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

One essential difference between Canada and Mexico. Their mids receive facing up field, in movement, ours coming back facing our goal, compromised. That is poor positional play and Floro does not know how to fix it,

This for me. However I disagree with the second part.

Our mids were receiving the ball from the D and couldn't turn upfield. However, Floro did correct this in the second half by having the D go wide with it, who then played the ball inside to Hutch who was already facing upfield and in decent space. The formation didn't change, but the Mexican pressing spread out. Obviously we were still always going to be dominated, but I thought it was nice to see Canada tactically figure out the solution to a problem for once :)

2 hours ago, king1010 said:

honestly you have to look at it both ways. the ref was good. he was consistent. 

that 2 footed studs up tackle by hoilett couldve been a straight red. that trip up by straith in the box coudlve easily been a pk. 

the ref was consistent and called the game the same both ways. thats all you can ask for. don't think he was a coward.

I don't disagree with you but I would say the ref was consistently bad both ways.

9 minutes ago, The Ref said:

I don't disagree with you but I would say the ref was consistently bad both ways.

Seriously. If you guys werent satisfied with that reffing display jus wait till you see the normal concacaf reffing when we play in central america. 

That was one of the better concacaf officiated games you'll see. 

Other refs wouldve decided the game on their own with multiple red cards and pks. Refs falling for the mexican dives etc. Let the players play and decide the game. 

11 hours ago, Floortom said:

Wow...Ricketts give them some problems?? When was that exactly? I can't remember him even touching the ball more than once in the first half when he ended a decent 3 on 2 counter with a shocking cross or shot ( I couldn't really tell what the hell he was trying to do). The rest of the time he was totally invisible. We may as well have been playing a man down.

baulderdash must be smoking something good or he's Ricketts himself posting under a pseudonym. Ricketts once again was essentially invisible and ineffective. The only memorable touch was his his attempt to cross the ball to the far side in the first minute which missed the mark by 10 yards. Also DeVos on TSN blamed him in part for the first Mexico goal. Ricketts' is a blackhole where the ball goes to die. So long as he sees anything other than garbage time minutes we can't be taken seriously. Floro's reliance on him is mind boggling. 

10 hours ago, Canada1 said:

Is Vitoria Cap-tied yet? Not from what I saw as he sat on the bench the whole match. I don't remember him playing an International match that would have had him cap tied to Canada. Arfield on the other hand was not Cap-tied until the start of the second half. In my opinion and I am sure there are many on here that would agree that Arfield should have started over Ricketsss and Vitoria should have started over Straith or Jakovich.

As mentioned Vitoria is tied to us through his switch, same with Arfield. Regardless of whether either played on Friday their only international options is Canada. This was widely published in many of the articles in recent months about both players.

I believe one of the reasons Arfield may not have started was due to issues with his back which inevitably flared up and forced him out of the game with a couple minutes left.

Did anyone notice Piete switching jerseys at the end of the game.  I am not his biggest fan but there has been talk of him not having the most athletic physique, soft etc.  He looked like a brick shithouse, someone I would not want to spot in the gym when he works out.  

4 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Is Hutch Ok, He looked to be limping at times throughout the game.

He did not look like his normal self coming off the field. He did not stop and shake hands with any teammate or opposition and he did not really acknowledge the V's which he normally does. He seemed to be either in pain or very disappointed in the performance.

5 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I assume Floro held a post-game presser? Anyone know where I can find the video/audio?

Thanks!

I haven't found any, but I know Marc Weber put some tweets of the post game on his account. The main thing that stood out was his assertion that Henry was one of the best FBs in the pool.

Unacceptable that csa doesn't post the presser, people need to hear the manager answer questions like, why no Edgar ? Why a back four that has not played any competitive games?every other sport in this country the coach must answer to the media and it is publicized. Hopefully it is forthcoming but I'm expecting just a few quotes in a newspaper(online) article.

5 hours ago, canta15 said:

The Canadian Mexican fan ratio was Canada 70 : 30 Mexico courtesy of BEIN sports.

I personally think it was disgraceful that TSN, who I believe called the shots in terms of cameras, never showed the crowd, never the upper tier, no ambience at all. Strictly stuck to the field. That took a lot away from the viewing experience, we only got ocassional shots of up close fans. I hated that, it pissed me off, and it was a huge contrast with the WWC where the stadium atmospheres were really well covered.

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Did anyone notice Piete switching jerseys at the end of the game.  I am not his biggest fan but there has been talk of him not having the most athletic physique, soft etc.  He looked like a brick shithouse, someone I would not want to spot in the gym when he works out.  

He changed with Guardado who was also a Deportivo player, I think after Julian but maybe coincided too; it was for that connection to his current club.

23 hours ago, king1010 said:

Thats not the way mexico works. 

Their fans and their media always expect a victory. Heads will roll if they lose at home at azteca. 

Nope.  I agree with poster that you were responding to.   They do not play all out with the same effort and urgency for all games.  They put their best foot forward when needed.   We have seen it time and time again over the past 30 years in Concacaf.  Their team, fans and media are at a level of confidence and maturity in the game to know and understand the bigger picture.  And in that bigger picture, they know that they are the best in the region and that their performance at the work cup finals is what they are measured by.  Hence, the objective of this round is to advance, not to win every game.  If you look back over the last 4-5 cycles,  many sides in the region have eeked out some positive results against them but it almost always in matches that didnt matter for them.   T&T, Hon, CRC are but a few that managed some surprises.  Even canada managed several results against they in matches that had no bearing on who advances or doesnt. But when something is at stake,. Its a whole different game.  

So yea, we should always be worried about when we are playing them in a qualifying rounds and when otheres in the group are playing them.  Who could ever forget that draw that T&T went to get in 2000 against them in the first week of the semi final round.  That, for all intents and purposes, sunk Canada's chances right from the start. 

I disagree. Mexicans always want their team to win in concacaf. They arent going to say "o well we already advanced" we wont play very hard against honduras. 

As others mentioned, mexicans hate honduras and would love to see them knocked out before the hex. Mexican fans wont accept a half asses effort because they already advanced. They are expected to win every time they touch the field in concacaf. 

17 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Refs should never be in a position to affect the outcome of a game. Happens much too often in soccer probably more than most other sports.

Interesting comments from all.

He was universally panned by those I was watching with, might have to go back and have another look. 

I do firmly believe that by missing any early challenge where a card should be a awarded, changes the tone of the game by setting a benchmark for other fouls and calls. 

16 hours ago, Miche said:

This for me. However I disagree with the second part.

Our mids were receiving the ball from the D and couldn't turn upfield. However, Floro did correct this in the second half by having the D go wide with it, who then played the ball inside to Hutch who was already facing upfield and in decent space. The formation didn't change, but the Mexican pressing spread out. Obviously we were still always going to be dominated, but I thought it was nice to see Canada tactically figure out the solution to a problem for once :)

Good post, I'll look at it again if I can. Still, you never know if it is also because they let up, but if you think Floro changed things then credit to him.

55 minutes ago, Califax said:

Interesting comments from all.

He was universally panned by those I was watching with, might have to go back and have another look. 

I do firmly believe that by missing any early challenge where a card should be a awarded, changes the tone of the game by setting a benchmark for other fouls and calls. 

I accepted that challenge, because early in the game if you start showing yellows you also force youself to keep doing so, and the game can get out of your control. Same with Atiba penalty--on repetition it is a penalty--but here a player has to help the ref, and since Atiba is all about being strong and holding up and resisting, well, he is not going to get a call. 

We have not had a single reffing job causing us a result since Benito is in charge, and I say that because I am convinced that it has a lot to do with Benito, he has prestige and makes declarations in Spanish and is respected, for what it is worth. Even just before he started, in that Gold Cup, we did have some really bogus stuff against us. 

And no, I don't think we are getting better reffing because of the CSA or the WWC, sorry, though it all adds up. If Victor were Concacaf president I think we'd probably even see ourselves favoured in the odd match by reffing.

Archived