WCQ Canada-Mexico 25 March Postgame

Well it was a result you could expect, though still disappointing.

They had their chances and all were good and the goals all well-taken, as you'd expect from Mexico.

But we came out of the 1st half without a shot on goal, which is incredible. You can't have those and make such terribly poor decisions, Larin, Hoillet, even Atiba, none getting a decent shot in. If we were a goal down at the half, if we'd scored, we would have had a different mood and more confidence to break down their defence. So that is my take: we did not do what we had to do and wasted chances up front. Including when Ricketts was sloppy, or in the 2nd half Henry. When you are deep you have to try to get a shot or a chance, not squander it.

For me I'd give okay marks to Borjan, the central defenders esp Jakovic, and even Straith in spite of being slow, De Jong, and Hoillet: an okay, a pass, amongst the starters. 

I'd give Atiba a fail, and Ricketts. And Larin. No one can tell me Haber or Hume would have done less, impossible. He is indolent and distracted and totally disconnected from the team. IMO he deserves to see the bench until he wisens up for Canada.

The subs were good, Arfield, even Piette was more dynamic than any of the starting mids, for me our real hole tonight. 

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that sucked. We had enough chances to get a goal in the first half and we gave away a sloppy second. I expect a better performance at Azteca, even if we still lose. We can play better than we did tonight, regardless of the opposition - I can't recall the last time I saw so many incomplete passes playing at home.

Only good news of the day was the 2-2 draw in El Salvador. I hope they repeat that scoreline on Tuesday.

Sucks about Arfield getting hurt. He showed more class with the ball in 40 minutes than Ricketts has in 4 years. Might as well sit him at Azteca but would have been good for him to get that experience and build more chemistry.

1. Atiba was disappointing - too many bad turnovers

2. Ricketts was useless as expected. 

3. Strong performance from Milan

4. The mids (JDG and Will) couldn't do anything going forward 

5. Hoilett was at least active even though he wasted two very good opportunities

6. Henry was shocking with the ball

7. Jakovic and Straith were just outclassed. Not due to a lack of effort, but it's almost not fair to match them up against Mexico.

8. Larin disappointed as I expected. Without service and support he doesn't offer anything really. They're wasting his one elite skill

I had a feeling they were gonna lose.  The scoreline bothers me abit as it could've been 5 or 6 nothing for Mexico if it weren't for the woodwork.  I know Mexico has great players, but the Canadian players make too many rookie mistakes.  I still don't understand why the make so many short backpasses.  I get that Benito would rather see rhe players play conservatively and not lose the ball then attempt to beat a man one on one.  But we still lack good finishers and a midfield general to help us become a stronger team and make it to the Hex.  Even Borjan constantly just threw the ball to his nearest player and rarely attempted to boot it up field.  Guess we've reached our current situation of player standard and now await if the Bustos, Froese, Osorio and Rusty generation will fare.

Larin and Hoilett were shocking. I feel like Larin is a bit complacent because he has no competition for the spot. (shame Cavallini doesn't want to commit)

Our back four sucks. Plain and simple. No club minutes in 2016, as Straith and De Jong's seasons have not started yet and Jakovic is riding the bench. Henry also only plays U21 games as a CB. Don't get the RB thing at all.

Aird should be given the chance to earn that place on the right.

3 years of Floroball, for this. Yep. 

I also feel that Mexico wouldn't have scored more if Osorio was on the pitch, just a hunch.

Mexico are much better than us, but wow did we make it easy for them.

2 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

Larin and Hoilett were shocking. I feel like Larin is a bit complacent because he has no competition for the spot. (shame Cavallini doesn't want to commit)

Our back four sucks. Plain and simple. No club minutes in 2016, as Straith and De Jong's seasons have not started yet and Jakovic is riding the bench. Henry also only plays U21 games as a CB. Don't get the RB thing at all.

Aird should be given the chance to earn that place on the right.

3 years of Floroball, for this. Yep. 

I also feel that Mexico wouldn't have scored more if Osorio was on the pitch, just a hunch.

Largely agree, but that Piette substitution sucked - Osorio wasn't the answer, but as a sub, he would have sucked 2-5% less.

Mexican commentators severely criticized Floro and his tactics.  They also recognized the limited technical ability of our players but they expected more from some players like Larin, Hutchinson, Guzman, etc.  They also mentioned that our defense lacked connection and understanding with our midfielders.

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, losing to Mexico is not a shocker.  But losing by 3, at home, in that way, in fron of that crowd, under a coach that named that starting 11, with glaring misses by what were supposed to be our shiny new talents - that fucking sucks.

ya hoilett and larin missed some glorious chances. didn't even hit the target. and that was at 0-0 and 1-0. couldve changed the game. 

then again mexico pinged it off two posts and borjan made some unbelievable saves. result was deserved

3 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Henry is a CB, pretty clear. De Vos knows it

The failure to close on his man that de Vos highlighted was a disaster, but, theoretically, a teachable moment for a young defender, I guess.

For me, its going forward where it is most clear that Henry is not a RB - his touch on the ball is brutal.

Just now, Vince193 said:

He was asked by Simon Fudge postgame about the Henry out wide deal and it looks like Henry's future is at RB.

who said that? floro?

well if we don't make the hex and floro gets canned pretty good chance henry moves to CB. i mean west ham have him pegged as a CB

Ricketts - Quite unbelievably, with Arfield injury, Ricketts will again be the invisible man starting on the wing in Mexico. We cannot be taken seriously so long as Ricketts continues to see substantial minutes for us. Tesho would be an upgrade but not in Floro's opinion apparently.

Arfield - this kid looks great. from playing with urgency and fire (throwing a Mexican to the ground) he did more in 45 mins than Ricketts has ever done total in any non-minnow game. 

Hoilett - he needed to bury at least one of the two chances he got tonight. He's sitting on a yellow. I would not play him in Mexico because we're going to need him in Honduras.

JDG - he looked like toast. done. 

Will Johnson - not great, not bad.

Milan Borjan - what a player. would have been 6-0 if not for him.

Back four - terrible tonight. Edgar needs to be at CB. Henry in the middle too. Don't ask me about the other two spots. No idea.

Atiba - played alright. one giveaway led directly to Mexico goal. We don't stand a chance if that happens.

Larin - still waiting for him to take it up a notch. I'd continue to put him out there over Haber/whoever simply because if he does get a chance (or half a chance) he might very well bury it.

Overall, this is going to come down to the Honduras game again. And again, with the dropped points in El Sal we will go there knowing that we already should have sewn up a spot in the Hex. Looking forward to it because if we can't get a result down there we don't deserve to move on. As it should be. 

WTF   Is  henry  doing  at  FB    He  is  a  CB .

Losing   to  Mexico  is  not  a  big  deal .   That  we  kind  of  expected   bit  3  nil  at  home    kind  of  infuriates  me.  .  But  Mexico   is  the  best  nation  in  Concacaf,  despite  what  the  Americans   think.  .  The  thing  that  really  pissed  me  off  was  that  miss  form  Larin   in  the  first  half    were  he  was  all   alone   and  totally   skied  that  shot.

8 minutes ago, Supersonic78 said:

Ricketts - Quite unbelievably, with Arfield injury, Ricketts will again be the invisible man starting on the wing in Mexico. We cannot be taken seriously so long as Ricketts continues to see substantial minutes for us. Tesho would be an upgrade but not in Floro's opinion apparently.

Arfield - this kid looks great. from playing with urgency and fire (throwing a Mexican to the ground) he did more in 45 mins than Ricketts has ever done total in any non-minnow game. 

Hoilett - he needed to bury at least one of the two chances he got tonight. He's sitting on a yellow. I would not play him in Mexico because we're going to need him in Honduras.

JDG - he looked like toast. done. 

Will Johnson - not great, not bad.

Milan Borjan - what a player. would have been 6-0 if not for him.

Back four - terrible tonight. Edgar needs to be at CB. Henry in the middle too. Don't ask me about the other two spots. No idea.

Atiba - played alright. one giveaway led directly to Mexico goal. We don't stand a chance if that happens.

Larin - still waiting for him to take it up a notch. I'd continue to put him out there over Haber/whoever simply because if he does get a chance (or half a chance) he might very well bury it.

Overall, this is going to come down to the Honduras game again. And again, with the dropped points in El Sal we will go there knowing that we already should have sewn up a spot in the Hex. Looking forward to it because if we can't get a result down there we don't deserve to move on. As it should be. 

I think you nailed that analysis. 

Archived