WCQ Canada-Mexico 25 March Postgame

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love and loathe reading the V's board after a loss and seeing everyone's opinions very differing opinions even though some of them really anger me.  

Anyways, I'll be generally positive on my views.

- atmosphere was superb and thanks to all my fellow Voyageurs for bringing a march in numbers and enthusiasm I had never seen or been a part of before (that includes Toronto, sorry).  And well done for getting such a huge crowd in the place.

- Borjan (and the post) saved our bacon; there should be no doubt that he should start in spite of some of the questionable distribution

- Arfield looked really good and you can see his class

- and even as a diehard Voyageur, watching the movement of the Mexicans live almost made the price of admission worth it.  Sucks it had to be against us.

- Garret Kusch!  

The only real negatives:

- This game reinforced that Canada still has a long way to go on the depth chart. One day in the future, I really hope that we can call up players who don't play in the Norwegian Second Division or J-League 2.  We have one Hutch, Mexico has 23 (or more) of them.

- Security?  WTF?  After all the stuff that happened recently, people are allowed onto the pitch so easily and for so long.  This needs a SERIOUS rethink by BC Place security and the CSA.  Where's the police?

11 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Mexico isn't going to roll over for Honduras.  They will want to give Canada every opportunity to advance and knock Honduras out in this stage.  From their perspective it will take away one of the risks to them advancing away and I daresay that they don't consider us a risk.

Last cycle Honduras beat Mexico at Azteca in the Hex and pushed them to the brink of not making the World Cup.  They are not going to be giving them any quarter this time around.

I'm certainly not suggesting they'd roll over, but I am absolutely suggesting they will field a b-side and play at a b-venue.

1 minute ago, gkhs said:

I'm certainly not suggesting they'd roll over, but I am absolutely suggesting they will field a b-side and play at a b-venue.

Mexican FA is very quick to pull the trigger on firing managers at even hint of bad form or controversy. After WC 2014 cycle, relying on the Yanks to bail them out, Mexico can't afford any slip ups that might hurt their confidence.

JCO might cycle in few players to see what he has (he's still relatively new at the Mexico manager job), but I think Mexico will play nearly their first team.

1 minute ago, Yohan said:

Mexican FA is very quick to pull the trigger on firing managers at even hint of bad form or controversy. After WC 2014 cycle, relying on the Yanks to bail them out, Mexico can't afford any slip ups that might hurt their confidence.

JCO might cycle in few players to see what he has (he's still relatively new at the Mexico manager job), but I think Mexico will play nearly their first team.

That's exactly right.  JCO is too new of a manager to lose at home and especially against Honduras.  They will be fielding their 1st team at home.  

So let's assume Mexico runs the table from here on out to simplify scenarios...

Right now it's: 

Canada 4pts 

El Salvador 2pts

Honduras 1pt

Scenario 1: El Salvador wins Tuesday

El Salvador 5pts

Canada 4pts

Honduras 1pt

Scenrio 2: Honduras wins Tuesday

Honduras 4pts (Honduras likely ahead of Canada in goal diff)

Canada 4pts 

El Savador 2pts 

Scenario 3: El Salvador-Honduras tie Tuesday

Canada 4pts

El Salvador 3pts

Honduras 2pts

What's best scenario? 

41 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

After watching Arfield at RW, I'm pretty convinced he should be the starter over Ricketts.  He's more dangerous in possession.  That being said, Ricketts gave them some problems early in the game and he is very valuable as a late game sub against tired defenders.  I think that should be his role next game.

Wow...Ricketts give them some problems?? When was that exactly? I can't remember him even touching the ball more than once in the first half when he ended a decent 3 on 2 counter with a shocking cross or shot ( I couldn't really tell what the hell he was trying to do). The rest of the time he was totally invisible. We may as well have been playing a man down.

i can live with Junior's performance even with the terrible finishing because he had a great work rate and created good opportunities. Ricketts is a wasted spot on the pitch

3 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Right now it's: 

Canada 4pts 

El Salvador 2pts

Honduras 1pt

El Salvador 5pts

Canada 4pts

Honduras 1pt

Canada 4pts 

El Savador 2pts 

Canada 4pts

El Salvador 3pts

Honduras 2pts

What's best scenario? 

My preference is scenario 1 followed by 3.

those would mean that a win at home to ES would get is to the hex. If we can't do that, we don't deserve it anyway. Scenario 2 means we probably need a result in Hond plus a result against ES

Assuming worst case scenario Canada loses at Mexico and Honduras wins home to El Salvador. It will be Canada and Honduras at 4 points each with El Salvador at 2 and Mexico qualified. A loss in Honduras means we have to overcome massive goal difference and have Honduras lose in Mexico. A win in Honduras, we are virtually in unless we lose to El Salvador and Honduras beats Mexico. A tie in Honduras, we go on 5 points each and just have to out-do what Honduras does home to Mexico. Basically we tie in Honduras we are in, if we lose we are out. That is what it will come down to. Can Canada tie @ Honduras?

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

My preference is scenario 1 followed by 3.

those would mean that a win at home to ES would get is to the hex. If we can't do that, we don't deserve it anyway. Scenario 2 means we probably need a result in Hond plus a result against ES

I think Honduras will win against ES on Tues, but more Honduras is beaten down, happier I'll be. 

We will likely lose away at Honduras. But I'm ok with needing a result for last game of the round vs ES at home to get to the Hex

9 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Right now it's: 

Canada 4pts 

El Salvador 2pts

Honduras 1pt

El Salvador 5pts

Canada 4pts

Honduras 1pt

Canada 4pts 

El Savador 2pts 

Canada 4pts

El Salvador 3pts

Honduras 2pts

What's best scenario? 

I don't care about best case scenarios. We played the hopeful scenario game last round of qualifying and the time before that. It doesn't mean anything if Canada can't ever win in Central America.

Im not going to sit here and wish and pray that somehow the stars align and every other team sucks so bad that Canada can somehow slide into the Hex with only getting two wins. It's not going to happen.

At some point we should look in the mirror. A lot of our players, while I love them all, are probably not good enough. Straith, Jakovic and De Jong play in lower quality 2nd divisions, as does our captain, who is also 35. Larin's backup is a serviceable League One striker and I love Hume, but the man is turning 33 and is playing in a glamourized retirement league. Edgar is in League One as well.

Henry, Piette aren't even playing for their senior clubs. Vitoria (banished essentailly from Benfica) and Ricketts don't even have teams. Our international quality lies with Hutchinson, who is 33, Will Johnson, who against better teams becomes anonymous, Larin, who is 20 years old and has a lot to work on his game, and Hoilett, who we saw why he isn't getting a new contract at QPR. Arfield is a newcomer and will probably be in the Prem next season, so that is good, however he will be 34 come 2022. Tesho and others like him (Ouimette) are unknown quantities in terms of where the career trajectory is headed.

Speaking of 2022, where is the future buidling? That midfield three Floro keeps trotting out isn't going to last much longer. Atiba will be 35 come 2018, and WJ will be 31, which is fine, but afterwards he's only to get older, and he isn't as good as Atiba so it is hard to see how good h ewill be for Canada down the road. Osorio, Froese, Teibert, even Charlie Trafford, these are guys we need to start giving big game experience. 

We need to ask questions of our "hype" players as well. Bustos, Davies, these kind of players, what place do they have in the program? Floro has shown he doesn't believe in creativity, so if he won't call Osorio why would Bustos or Keven Aleman get a call up?

At the end of the day, our current group of players, especially the backline aren't very good. Compare it to Mexico, or Costa Rica, or the US. You have MLS starters and all-stars, PSV, Porto, Bundesliga, Serie A players present. We don't have that.

This all compounds the issues the team has. Our players aren't good enough and our coaching isn't making up for it. 

6 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

If El Salvador wins next week then Honduras is effectively eliminated.  That's pretty much our best case scenario.

That gives us a home game against El Salvador in September where we advance on a win or a tie.

Tie wouldn't do it unless we get pts in the Honduras game.

29 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Overall, there were two main reasons we lost.

1. We couldn't finish our chances

2. Floro's terrible starting xi choice

2. I don't think any change to the starting 11 would have made the slightest difference to the final result. Mexico, to me, clearly took their foot off the gas after their first goal. 

We showed a lack of composure this game which demonstrates the down side of playing a "historic" match in front of a huge home crowd. I think Floro was hugely frustrated watching the team lose it's shape and focus. As much as I loved the chances we were getting, I was cringing as soon as Mexico got the ball back and saw the vast open spaces they could attack. I'm hoping that next game we can get back to focussing solely on defensive organization.

I thought Atiba was great and Arfield was an excellent addition but it's a team game and, as a collective, they didn't play anywhere near well enough.

Thought I should add a few comments that haven't already been mentioned...

The day's events were great!  I came down to Vancouver with my two adult sons who both played the pick-up game at noon.  It's been years since they've played together so that was great to see.  We made our way to Doolin's and spent two hours there, essentially to get in on the march.  But we were held up trying to get the waitress' attention, and by 5:22pm, we had missed it.  A major disappointment!  The atmosphere inside the stadium was fantastic.  This was the first time we joined the Voyageurs' section, and seeing the work that the leadership puts in, before and during the game, was inspirational.

The game itself was frustrating... Just when it seems that Canada has developed a little more depth, or a little more tactical skills, every weakness gets exposed against a team like Mexico.... I didn't understand why Borjan get making those short passes out to the defenders, who were under almost immediate pressure and had to pass the ball back.  Borjan then had to loft a long ball down the field anyway... With all the comments made about Henry's play, it was his poor offensive support that really let the team down.  Early in the second half, a number of offensive chances generated by Arfield were killed when he had to rely on Henry to back him up... Mexico rarely missed a pass.  Canada had about five throw-ins all night... Johnson, deGuzman and Hutchinson were constantly under pressure.   The difference between them is that Hutchinson is the only one who can stay calm in that situation...Larin was too easily frustrated... Did Mexico lull Canada into thinking they could play a more wide open style?  It seems the first five minutes were like that, then Mexico starting to take advantage of all the gaps with better ball possession... Hopefully, Canada will forget about trying to match Mexico offensively and be content to bunker down and maybe win the game 1-0 with a lone shot on goal...

11 hours ago, king1010 said:

Henry is a CB, pretty clear. De Vos knows it

Why does it seem like that Henry wouldn't a sniff of a chance at a starting assignment on our MNT when he was starting and playing regularly for TFC.  Now he goes off Europe to a good club, never plays for them, ends up in lower div. , hardly plays because of injury and ( as a result) earns a start.       Happy for Henry.  But this kind of thinking is very annoying.  

4 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Why does it seem like that Henry wouldn't a sniff of a chance at a starting assignment on our MNT when he was starting and playing regularly for TFC.  Now he goes off Europe to a good club, never plays for them, ends up in lower div. , hardly plays because of injury and ( as a result) earns a start.       Happy for Henry.  But this kind of thinking is very annoying.  

Yea I'm shocked he played tbh.  How many matches has he played in the last year?  And he was awful in his lone appearance against the States before this.  I like Henry but he's a CB and shouldn't be starting for Canada until he can get settled and is playing consistently somewhere.

4 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Yea I'm shocked he played tbh.  How many matches has he played in the last year?  And he was awful in his lone appearance against the States before this.  I like Henry but he's a CB and shouldn't be starting for Canada until he can get settled and is playing consistently somewhere.

You are questioning a guy who kept playing Adam Straith when he turned down offers from MLS and was without a club for a better part of a year.

1 hour ago, mpg_29 said:

Right now it's: 

Canada 4pts 

El Salvador 2pts

Honduras 1pt

El Salvador 5pts

Canada 4pts

Honduras 1pt

Canada 4pts 

El Savador 2pts 

Canada 4pts

El Salvador 3pts

Honduras 2pts

What's best scenario? 

We went over this a few days ago. 3 is the best. 1 is fine (if we can't beat El Slavador at home what is the point) and 2 would just suck.

1 hour ago, rightback said:

2. I don't think any change to the starting 11 would have made the slightest difference to the final result. Mexico, to me, clearly took their foot off the gas after their first goal. 

We showed a lack of composure this game which demonstrates the down side of playing a "historic" match in front of a huge home crowd. I think Floro was hugely frustrated watching the team lose it's shape and focus. As much as I loved the chances we were getting, I was cringing as soon as Mexico got the ball back and saw the vast open spaces they could attack. I'm hoping that next game we can get back to focussing solely on defensive organization.

I thought Atiba was great and Arfield was an excellent addition but it's a team game and, as a collective, they didn't play anywhere near well enough.

If Straith, Henry (at Rb), and Ricketts did not start the result would have been different.

24 minutes ago, shortofbrillant said:

Agreed.

If we wanted to impact the result we needed to change the tactics more than the personel

I know some will disagree, but tactically we were too spread out, and therefore far too easy to expose. We lost our compact shape. Hard to tell, but I think it was Floro's plan to press Mexico high, but our guys gassed themselves after 20 minutes. From there, the wheels came off. We do not have the depth, yet. We are still a decade away. Still, we should be good enough, if we play tactically wise soccer, to make the Hex.  That should be our realistic goal

5 hours ago, admin said:

Where were you waiting for the march to start at 5:45?

We could not get into Doolins Pub so we were at the Roxy Burger next block north by 5:00. We were just being served beers and food when we saw the March go by the windows. Our aim was to join yourselves at 5:45pm as was mentioned on here. We ended up leaving at that time and there were others on Granville who were also confused why the March started at 5:15. There was plenty of time for the March as I do understand the increased security issue. We actually left the Roxy Burger at 5:45 and were in the  Stadium by 6:15pm.

I appreciate those who organize these events but next time please give much more warning as 20 of us were looking forward to supporting the March.

Archived