WCQ Canada-Mexico 25 March Postgame

16 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Agree with a lot of what has been said. Ricketts is Ricketts, Arfield is a starter, Henry is not a right back, and Larin looks ineffective more often than not at this level (but hopefully will develop).

But reality check. How many really expected a win or even a draw? If El Salvador and Honduras draw again, we remain in second place even with a loss. Remaining in second is best case scenario for these two rounds. If ES wins, we're only one point behind them. Even a Honduras win puts us on level points. Sure, a win over ES 2nd team would have helped immensely, but we're not in a bad spot. Let's not panic.

+1

If we are in 2nd with both Mexico matches behind us we are in an enviable position.  Still, let's get a damn result in Mexico.

But we were terrible tonight, as expected.  Constant chat about big games leads to big jokes, that is this generation's legacy.  Let's go down to Mexico and shock everyone... definitely possible.  But as I said in another thread, I don't think this team has the mentality.  They always talk a big game and boost each other and their team spirit but I really don't think they have what it takes to batten down the hatches and put in a full team 90.

These players have two chances away to Mexico and Honduras to change their fortunes and make history.  If we can do it, we deserve to go... if not we, don't.  So far the team has performed decently away, if we can come away with some points we can depend on a win at home to ES to advance.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mexico outclassed us.  We don't have the talent that they do. We are at the level of Honduras and El Salvador and should be happy to finish second in this group. There is a lot of  whining on this board -  we were never going to win this game. We aren't that good. Mexico is at a different level. We are getting better though. Larin seemed very lazy tonight. 

1 hour ago, gigi riva said:

WTF   Is  henry  doing  at  FB    He  is  a  CB .

Losing   to  Mexico  is  not  a  big  deal .   That  we  kind  of  expected   bit  3  nil  at  home    kind  of  infuriates  me.  .  But  Mexico   is  the  best  nation  in  Concacaf,  despite  what  the  Americans   think.  .  The  thing  that  really  pissed  me  off  was  that  miss  form  Larin   in  the  first  half    were  he  was  all   alone   and  totally   skied  that  shot.

Why are your words always so spaced out?

What a fucking joke. First we are waiting for the march which is suppose to start at 5:45 but starts at 5:15 and then our stupid coach sits Arfield , Vitoria, Edgar and others that should be on the field in one of the most important matches. What an embarrassment. I am so pissed off. Fuck this.  

2 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Whats worse is we won't be scoring a goal away either. 4 games 1 goal. Fuck Floro and his shitty park the bus tactics.

Canta  it's the coach who fucked this up. YOU PUT YOUR BEST PLAYERS ON THE FIELD. Floro did not do that. He played kumbaya  soccer and it fucked up like usual. 

I know everyone is disappointed, even pissed off, but our expectations--once again--were way out of whack. We are improving, but we still have a long ways to go before we can come close to beating a team like Mexico. I am not convinced that a different back four would have made much of a difference. We were outclassed and made too many mistakes and did not even test their keeper with the two or three solid chances we had. Buck up! Our team needs us strong and enthusiastic right to the end. It was ALWAYS going to be about the last two games. I love us Voyageurs, but sometimes we are so damned stupid about our expectations. (Hell, we barely beat a shitty Honduras team)

I am so sick and tired of Canada being screwed. We deserve better than this. I will be sending an email tomorrow to Michael Findlay assisstant coach expressing my concern about those that sat on the bench in the fitst half that should have been cap-tied at the start of the first half. This is a disgrace and should not happen.

My Whitecaps season tickets are in 206 but I decided to sit up top for this one for the novelty of it. I was close to the front of 451. I will say, BC Place has some beautiful sight lines. Early in the second half when Arfield was taking the ball up the right channel and not a single Canadian player decided to support him, I shit you not, I could see the expression on his face as he wondered what it would take for FIFA to make him the first player ever to make his one-time switch and then switch back. 

Seriously though, it's a completely different team when he's on the pitch. I think him and Hutch will make a great pairing in games 5 and 6. I hope Russ can take over the DM role from JDG.

40 minutes ago, Canada1 said:

I am so sick and tired of Canada being screwed. We deserve better than this. I will be sending an email tomorrow to Michael Findlay assisstant coach expressing my concern about those that sat on the bench in the fitst half that should have been cap-tied at the start of the first half. This is a disgrace and should not happen.

I think I'm missing something, who should have been cap tied?

Thoughts:

- a loss was always the most likely outcome, but it sucks that we couldn't have kept it closer or pulled one back and given the home crowd something to cheer about.

- I must admit, Mexico are a top class side and punished us almost every time we made an error.

- Atiba had a game to forget. Probably the worst I've ever seen him play.

- JDG has been a great player for us, but he needs to be replaced. I don't think he has the gas left in the tank to play at this level anymore. He was non-existent on defence, cause he simply didn't have the stamina to close anyone down. 

- I really hope Arfield's apparent ankle roll was minor and he's back for the next game, because I really hope that's the last meaningful game Ricketts starts for us. I like Ricketts, but he's one dimensional and too many build ups die at his feet. Not to mention the fact that his lack of pressure on Layun lead directly to the first goal.

-    I can't fault Straith too much overall, but he did get beat for pace on the second goal. That being said I really have to wonder why Edgar - more experienced, more skilled, in mid-season form - didn't get the start.

- Hoilett was active, and impressed me, even though he should have buried at least one of his chances, and that would have changed the dynamic of the game.

- I thought De Jong and Henry played well.

- Milan was a boss! This game would have got a lot uglier if it weren't for his spectacular shot stopping in the first half.

- Despite their being a lot of Mexican supporters in the stadium, there were probably a good 35K - 40K that showed up to support Canada. I'm calling that a win.

- My personal highlight of the night: https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=8UbAfTB_lTY

- Overall, we were always going to need at least 3-4 points from our last two games and that hasn't changed, so the equation is still the same: take care of business in our last two matches and and we're in the hex... I think realistically it was always going to come down to that. 

- could be worse... you know, like we could have just lost to Guatamala or something ;p

2 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

Thoughts:

- a loss was always most likely outcome, but it sucks we couldn't have kept it closer or pulled one back and given the home crowd something to cheer about.

- I must admit, Mexico are a top class side and punished us almost every time we made an error.

- Atiba had a game to forget. Probably the worst I've ever seen him play.

- JDG has been a great player for us, but he needs to be replaced. I don't think he has the gas left in the tank to play at this level anymore. He was non-existent on defence, cause he simply didn't have the stamina to close anyone done. 

- I really hope Arfield's apparent ankle roll was minor and he's back for the next game, because I really hope that's the last meaningful game Ricketts starts for us. I like Ricketts, but he's one dimensional and too many build ups die at his feet. Not to mention the fact that his lack of pressure on Layun (I think) lead directly to the first goal.

-    I can't fault Straith too much overall, but he did get beat for pace on the second goal. That being said I really have to wonder why Edgar - more experienced, more skilled, in mid-season form - didn't get the start.

- Hoilett was active, and impressed me, even though he should have buried at least one of his chances, and that would have changed the dynamic of the game.

- I thought De Jong and Henry played well.

- Milan was a boss! This game would have got a lot uglier if it weren't for his spectacular shot stopping in the first half.

- Despite their being a lot of Mexican supporters in the stadium, there were probably a good 35K - 40K that showed up to support Canada. I'm calling that a win.

- My personal highlight of the night: https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=8UbAfTB_lTY

- Overall, we were always going to need at least 3-4 points from our last two games and that hasn't changed, so the equation is still the same: take care of business in our last two matches and and we're in the hex... I think realistically it was always going to come down to that. 

Was it Arfield's ankle? From the stands it looked like the physio was working on his back after he got up.

... But as I said in another thread, I don't think this team has the mentality.  They always talk a big game and boost each other and their team spirit but I really don't think they have what it takes to batten down the hatches and put in a full team 90.

+1

yes, I feel like our teams for the last 10yrs haven't lacked as much in talent, as they have lacked in mental fortitude.

1 minute ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Was it Arfield's ankle? From the stands it looked like the physio was working on his back after he got up.

I thought it looked like he rolled his ankle... as specially has he wasn't putting weight on (his right, I think) leg when getting helped on the field. Not sure though... I was mid-field, so didn't have the best view.

41 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

My Whitecaps season tickets are in 206 but I decided to sit up top for this one for the novelty of it. I was close to the front of 451. I will say, BC Place has some beautiful sight lines. Early in the second half when Arfield was taking the ball up the right channel and not a single Canadian player decided to support him, I shit you not, I could see the expression on his face as he wondered what it would take for FIFA to make him the first player ever to make his one-time switch and then switch back. 

Seriously though, it's a completely different team when he's on the pitch. I think him and Hutch will make a great pairing in games 5 and 6. I hope Russ can take over the DM role from JDG.

Agree with this... or Froese actually, as Floro seems to use JDG in more of a CM roll, and I think Froese is actually more suited for it. Either way though, one (but likely not both of them) has 5 months to develop into that player, cause my money is that JDG is done as a starter after the Azteca game.

6 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

I thought it looked like he rolled his ankle... as specially has he wasn't putting weight on (his right, I think) leg when getting helped on the field. Not sure though... I was mid-field, so didn't have the best view.

looks like he did his hamstring

he pulled up running a few times about 10 and 5 minutes earlier before he stayed down at the end 

Didnt expect a win (Don't expect us to score in the 3 remaining matches tbh) but Floro got just about everything wrong in that match. Just about every game under Floro we played not to concede, we don't play to win we just play not to concede, even against beatable teams. But today we were wide open and were just basically trading chances with Mexico in the beginning of the match. The one time he should of stuck with bunker down defence he doesn't.

I have no idea why he continues to play Henry at RB. Its very clear he doesn't have the necessary attributes to play this position. The midfield play way to flat, they are just in a straight line that one simple pass from Mexico just constantly gets by our whole midfield constantly. Larin on top on his own is just wasting a spot at this point, same with Ricketts.

Also i can't understand some people saying we're improving... where are we improving?? Imo We looked much much better under Stephen Hart then we do under Floro. One goal in this group and no goals in the gold cup... 1 goal in 6 games and it wasn't even a good goal it was messy, and some of u think we're improving?? I really don't think we'll score in our 3 remaining games nor do i think we get out of the group and if we do, it'll be because Honduras f'd up big time and not based on our play.

4 hours ago, Canada1 said:

What a fucking joke. First we are waiting for the march which is suppose to start at 5:45 but starts at 5:15 and then our stupid coach sits Arfield , Vitoria, Edgar and others that should be on the field in one of the most important matches. What an embarrassment. I am so pissed off. Fuck this.  

Where were you waiting for the march to start at 5:45?

2 hours ago, CanadaSantos said:

Just about every game under Floro we played not to concede, we don't play to win we just play not to concede, even against beatable teams. But today we were wide open and were just basically trading chances with Mexico in the beginning of the match. The one time he should of stuck with bunker down defence he doesn't.

I disagree with this. Floro got the team selection wrong and made poor decisions on the subs, but I think the tactics were correct in the first half. Our 2 best attacking players had three point-blank scoring opportunities in the first half hour. It's not Floro's fault they put them all into the stratosphere. Bury one or two of those and we're leading Mexico at home with a loud crowd behind us and we can then pull men behind the ball and hit them on the break as they chase the game. Sadly, we squandered our chances and got punished by a better team.

Archived