WCQ - Canada vs. Mexico Mar. 25th, 2016 Pre-Game Thread

BrennanFan

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, One American said:

Someone needs to explain to me Piette over Osorio.

I get that Floro has his crazy favorites, and we'll live or die by that - I've given up being pissed about it.

But Piette for de Guzman, trailing 2-0 at home is brutal. It's basically a resignation.

9 minutes ago, king1010 said:

If we get a result in honduras and beat el salvador at home goal differntial means nothing 

Of course but getting a result in Honduras is unlikely. If everything plays out as expected (we lose in Mexico and Honduras and win at home against SLV) then it will come  down to goal differential. Just being realistic here. 

2 minutes ago, bwilly11 said:

We havent lost in Mexico yet..

Referring to my previous post of not playing arfield or hoilett in mexico as both sit on yellow cards. If they play and receive a yellow they miss honduras and we're fucked. 

As i said. The road to the hex depends on a result in honduras. Not mexico. 

Doubt arfield plays anyways with his back injury. 

2 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Of course but getting a result in Honduras is unlikely. If everything plays out as expected (we lose in Mexico and Honduras and win at home against SLV) then it will Coke down to goal differential. Just being realistic here. 

We can get a result in honduras. Much higher chances than in mexico. 

Well, one thing to see is how the team reacts to this blow.  From what I have read here, it sounds like only two guys acquitted themselves well.  I'm curious to see what changes the manager has in store for the return fixture.  

How did JDG play?  I didn't read his name much in the posts.

1 minute ago, king1010 said:

Referring to my previous post of not playing arfield or hoilett in mexico as both sit on yellow cards. If they play and receive a yellow they miss honduras and we're fucked. 

I think, realistically, they're as likely to send Arfield home tomorrow as play him Tuesday.

A wholly disappointing performance. The result was always likely. 

So many basic mistakes, lack of discipline and almost lack of interest from some players. 

We certainly looked better with Arfield. Larin is just wasted up by himself with no support.

We were killed by our hugely soft centre. DeGuzman, Johnson even piette massively disappointed the latter really lives up to massive too. Has he put on weight just in camp? Zero movement. It might be the thing to do in Spain to wait for a pass then sit on the ball for a few seconds. You won't get that pleasure against south American teams that press. 

Our offense will also never stand a chance with a back line that refuses to support attacks. Henry was essentially the third centre back for most of the game. Our overall uselessness also made me ignore dejong who probably wasn't any better than normal but didn't look like the worst player in a canada shirt. 

Two new CBs please.

3 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Doubt arfield plays anyways with his back injury. 

Yeah, but athletes playing professional sports dont think that way. Nobody concedes defeat...

1 minute ago, bwilly11 said:

Yeah, but athletes playing professional sports dont think that way. Nobody concedes defeat...

Actually they do. De vos (a former pro)on air tonight said he would have hoilett take a yellow card tonight so his slate is wiped clean for honduras and el salvador. 

Same with coach pop and the spurs resting players and getting fined for it in the nba lol

Terrible decisions in the starting 11, some good offensive play in the first half but no finishing, big saves by Borjan but then when they had a good opportunity in the box he was more ready to scream at players after the goal than try to make the save, defenders getting beaten multiple times...

If we want to have a good chance of advancing to the next round, we need to get rid of Floro now and bring in someone who will simply put the best starting 11 on the field, or at least something close to it. Ricketts as a right winger and to top it off Henry playing with him as a right back...Insisting on Larin, not starting your best player, bringing in a spanish 4th division defensive midfielder who doesn't bring much offensively when you're down 0-2...How much worse can decisions get?

6 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Well, one thing to see is how the team reacts to this blow.  From what I have read here, it sounds like only two guys acquitted themselves well.  I'm curious to see what changes the manager has in store for the return fixture.  

How did JDG play?  I didn't read his name much in the posts.

JDG looked.....old. He was slow to move the ball when he had possession and slow to get on the ball.

Paging Jonathan Osorio...

1 minute ago, Big_M said:

Terrible decisions in the starting 11, some good offensive play in the first half but no finishing, big saves by Borjan but then when they had a good opportunity in the box he was more ready to scream at players after the goal than try to make the save, defenders getting beaten multiple times...

If we want to have a good chance of advancing to the next round, we need to get rid of Floro now and bring in someone who will simply put the best starting 11 on the field, or at least something close to it. Ricketts as a right winger and to top it off Henry playing with him as a right back...Insisting on Larin, not starting your best player, bringing in a spanish 4th division defensive midfielder who doesn't bring much offensively when you're down 0-2...How much worse can decisions get?

Ya some of his decisions are puzzling but replacing the coach this far deep is a recipe for disaster. Floro will get canned only if he doesnt reach the hex. Far too much invested in the system to can him now. 

2 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Actually they do. De vos (a former pro)on air tonight said he would have hoilett take a yellow card tonight so his slate is wiped clean for honduras and el salvador. 

Same with coach pop and the spurs resting players and getting fined for it in the nba lol

De Vos is not playing anymore. I don't care how many caps he had. A pundit is paid to talk. No athlete will concede defeat, thats ludacris. 

Ya some of his decisions are puzzling but replacing the coach this far deep is a recipe for disaster. Floro will get canned only if he doesnt reach the hex. Far too much invested in the system to can him now. 

Hard to disagree.  Right or wrong, he is the horse we are riding to the finish line of this race.

2 minutes ago, bwilly11 said:

You've never played sports have you?

jesus christ man. yes I have. and you're flat out wrong. the best team in the world JUST DID IT last year

http://fusion.net/story/116029/luis-enrique-got-caught-on-camera-telling-sergio-busquets-to-pick-up-a-yellow-card-denied-it/

Yesterday, Canal Plus’ excellent show “El Dia Despues”, which is hosted by Santi Cañizares (rememeber him? He kind of looked like the main replicant in Blade Runner), found some footage of Barca manager Luis Enrique clearly asking Busquets to force a yellow card so that he can serve a suspension for the seemingly easy upcoming match against Almeria.

you've never played sports have you....

It's a game of fine margins. In the first 30 minutes, we actually create 3-4 quality chances, better than anything they created up to that point. Yet, before they scored, their 'keeper hadn't had to make a single save and they forced ours to make several difficult stops from what were, realistically, half chances. Unfortunately, they have the quality to do that and once they got real chances to score, they buried them.

In another universe, Hoilett or Larin bury one of more of their gilt-edged chances in the open half hour, Lozano gets deservedly booked for his cynical, early foul and a second yellow for a dive in the box trying to win a penalty. We go in at half with a lead and a man advantage.

In the real world, we fuck up our chances to score, they punish us ruthlessly twice, and by the end we're lucky not to concede double digits in the second half.

My takeaways from this match:

1. We lack the quality and belief in front of goal to threaten any decent teams at the moment.

2. Arfield definitely should have started.

3. In the last 15 minutes, when most of our players looked like they just wished it was over, Hume should have come off the bench to at least put some balls on our team.

4. Doniel Henry was, by some distance, the worst player on the pitch. On this evidence, he isn't worth a place on an MLS roster, never mind a Premier League one. He's simply not very good at football.

5. Edgar and Vitoria should start on Tuesday, with a RB who can actually display some football sense. Arfield and Hoilett should probably be held out of the starting eleven to avoid yellows. We'll be bunkering with at least 9 men behind the ball for most of the game, so Haber may be the better bet to start up top, with Rickets and Akindele on the wings.

jesus christ man. yes I have. and you're flat out wrong. the best team in the world JUST did it

http://fusion.net/story/116029/luis-enrique-got-caught-on-camera-telling-sergio-busquets-to-pick-up-a-yellow-card-denied-it/

Yesterday, Canal Plus’ excellent show “El Dia Despues”, which is hosted by Santi Cañizares (rememeber him? He kind of looked like the main replicant in Blade Runner), found some footage of Barca manager Luis Enrique clearly asking Busquets to force a yellow card so that he can serve a suspension for the seemingly easy upcoming match against Almeria.

haha no, just no.

Didn't your mother ever tell you not to believe everything you read on the internet?

Just now, bwilly11 said:

haha no, just no.

Didn't your mother ever tell you not to believe everything you read on the internet?

ya. just like she told me not believe you

let me guess. you played a sport when you were growing up and you know what happens on the national stage. 

got it

4 minutes ago, bwilly11 said:

De Vos is not playing anymore. I don't care how many caps he had. A pundit is paid to talk. No athlete will concede defeat, thats ludacris. 

De vos was a former captain of canada, after Forrest retired, he was part of the Gold Cup winning team and had been critical of rhe CSA, OSA and other organizations not doing much for the grassroots.   As a pundit he's OK but not great but he's right.  Hoilette should've gotten a yellow, sit out the lost cause against Mexico at Azteca, as no way Canada will ever get any result there as Honduras and El Salvador were always going to be the teams we'll battle for 2nd place.

4 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

It's a game of fine margins. In the first 30 minutes, we actually create 3-4 quality chances, better than anything they created up to that point. Yet, before they scored, their 'keeper hadn't had to make a single save and they forced ours to make several difficult stops from what were, realistically, half chances. Unfortunately, they have the quality to do that and once they got real chances to score, they buried them.

In another universe, Hoilett or Larin bury one of more of their gilt-edged chances in the open half hour, Lozano gets deservedly booked for his cynical, early foul and a second yellow for a dive in the box trying to win a penalty. We go in at half with a lead and a man advantage.

In the real world, we fuck up our chances to score, they punish us ruthlessly twice, and by the end we're lucky not to concede double digits in the second half.

My takeaways from this match:

1. We lack the quality and belief in front of goal to threaten any decent teams at the moment.

2. Arfield definitely should have started.

3. In the last 15 minutes, when most of our players looked like they just wished it was over, Hume should have come off the bench to at least put some balls on our team.

4. Doniel Henry was, by some distance, the worst player on the pitch. On this evidence, he isn't worth a place on an MLS roster, never mind a Premier League one. He's simply not very good at football.

5. Edgar and Vitoria should start on Tuesday, with a RB who can actually display some football sense. Arfield and Hoilett should probably be held out of the starting eleven to avoid yellows. We'll be bunkering with at least 9 men behind the ball for most of the game, so Haber may be the better bet to start up top, with Rickets and Akindele on the wings.

Bang on

for those who are saying fire floro, who exactly will we bring in.  It's not like top coaches around the world are just sitting around waiting to take over the job.  If we don't qualify for the hex we can talk, but it would be stupid to sack him now.  Edgar should have started.  I rate him over every defender that started today.  I like straith but is the norwegian league even playing now.  Jakovic isn't even playing for his japanese club if I understand correctly.  Edgar is playing every week and is in mid season form.  I have never been a fan of henry.  Sure he makes some incredible tackles sometimes, but he has always been accident prone.  Every time he plays I am just waiting for him to get a red card or give away a penalty.  I don't think Hutch, JDG, and johnson should be playing together.  They are three of the best players we have, but it seems when they play together it is three players doing the job of two.  rotate the three of them, and get another striker or attacking mid in there to give larin some f.ing support.  I like larin, but he gets no support at all playing for canada.  if you want him to score like he does for orlando, give him some more support.  Not totally surprised by the result, Mexico is a far superior team to us, but my worry now is once they beat us at azteca and qualify for the next round, what kind of team are they putting out for their last two games.  Will honduras or el salvador be able to get three points again their B team since they won't care about those games, ultimatley screwing us over.

Rant over and sorry for any grammer of spelling errors.  I've had a bit to drink

Archived