WCQ - Canada vs. Mexico Mar. 25th, 2016 Pre-Game Thread

BrennanFan

4 minutes ago, amanfromvancouver said:

They are not accusations; they are my opinions based on my observations of this forum as well as hypothetical discussion points.

It's pretty clear I won't win any points, so you can be assured this is not my reason.  I stand up to bullies and get all fired up about it.  That is about it.

Standing up for your opinions is perfectly acceptable.

But I hope you understand that your tone and attitude in this discussion has played no small part in the response you are getting.

I was not aware of your existence before an hour ago, but what I see is you making very serious statements that provoke strong reactions. 

A discussion on what are productive strategies for supporters or the team to employ can be very fruitful, and definitely necessary, everyone here wants to expand the base of support as wide as possible, but i'm hoping we can do so while toning down the rhetoric. 

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, fuzzx said:

Standing up for your opinions is perfectly acceptable.

But I hope you understand that your tone and attitude in this discussion has played no small part in the response you are getting.

I was not aware of your existence before an hour ago, but what I see is you making very serious statements that provoke strong reactions. 

A discussion on what are productive strategies for supporters or the team to employ can be very fruitful, and definitely necessary, everyone here wants to expand the base of support as wide as possible, but i'm hoping we can do so while toning down the rhetoric. 

I attempted to engage in "normal" soccer opinions and got mocked and called ignorant. That just set me off in this direction again.  It is what it is.

13 minutes ago, amanfromvancouver said:

They are not accusations; they are my opinions based on my observations of this forum as well as hypothetical discussion points.

It's pretty clear I won't win any points, so you can be assured this is not my reason.  I stand up to bullies and get all fired up about it.  That is about it.

And you have successfully done that! The bullies should apologize. Or I will do so on their behalf. 

Can we now move past this? Let's all turn our attention to the big game tomorrow. Akindele feels we can get a result

4 minutes ago, fuzzx said:

Seriously, what are we suppose to make of this:

I have no idea if this tweet is legit or BS; however, I think it is a reasonable idea to go out with guns a blazin.

What have we go to lose? If we play super defensive shell we likely lose anyways (it's azteca).  Might as well throw out the guns.  I know people will go on about goal differential, and that certainly is a legitimate point.  Losing 5-1 instead of 2-0 could come back to haunt us. Although I maintain we must win-out in September and then goal differential won't play.  Canada is in control of it's final place.

1 minute ago, amanfromvancouver said:

What have we go to lose? If we play super defensive shell we likely lose anyways (it's azteca).  Might as well throw out the guns.  I know people will go on about goal differential, and that certainly is a legitimate point.  Losing 5-1 instead of 2-0 could come back to haunt us.

I have no idea if this tweet is legit or BS; however, I think it is a reasonable idea to go out with guns a blazin.

I do have the goal differential fear though, a loss in Honduras puts both teams on 7 points assuming a Canada win against El Salvador and Mexico beating Honduras. If Honduras and El Salvador draw again, we're a hell of a lot safer. Given that we won't know the result of that game before starting this one, It is something to think about imo.

7 minutes ago, fuzzx said:

Seriously, what are we suppose to make of this:

Floro stated in that last conference that his goal is get a win or tie in Azteca.  No coach is ever gonna admit they're gonna bunker.  Let the Mexican media get distracted with his remarks, so the players don't lose sight of the true focus tomorrow, which I fully expect is bunkering.  if Floro plays like in Van, we could be in for a looooong night of 6 or 7-1 goals.  There's no shame is playing all defensive.  

40 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

With all the fun and enjoyment that Robert and A Man From Vancouver have been giving us, no one has noticed that one of the classic Voyageur trolls made a reappearance after several years, the one and only DoyleG.

I noticed him slip a post in overnight Friday/Saturday morning.

9 hours ago, Grizzly said:

With all the fun and enjoyment that Robert and A Man From Vancouver have been giving us, no one has noticed that one of the classic Voyageur trolls made a reappearance after several years, the one and only DoyleG.

I did, and had to resist the urge to post Portugal 5 USA 0

11 hours ago, nolbertos said:

Floro stated in that last conference that his goal is get a win or tie in Azteca.  No coach is ever gonna admit they're gonna bunker.  Let the Mexican media get distracted with his remarks, so the players don't lose sight of the true focus tomorrow, which I fully expect is bunkering.  if Floro plays like in Van, we could be in for a looooong night of 6 or 7-1 goals.  There's no shame is playing all defensive.  

There's no shame playing all defensive when you're the overwhelming underdog and you just got schooled at home to the same team and this time you're playing away so you can give zero fawks of what the fans and media think.

Not to forget Floro has been playing the triple T for the last 2 years why change now!? Hes made turtling so common that turtle necks are back in style. Don't give up now with the one trick show señor Benito. 

I seriously believe the CSA told Floro objective #1 was to make the Hex and Floro & Sons are just doing the minimum to ensure that and get their bonus. It's seems so desperate now! Even if we make the Hex by the skin of our teeth and Slv Hon don't  capitalize we won't go far in the Hex. We can't keep playing like this Turtle Turtle Tactic and hope to get results.

We only score goals against minnows and even there Belize scored the opener against us in Belize and we were lucky to have tied! You Got Dat Right Maestro!

Plus like someone here already posted the majority of our current players from Friday's game are at their or past their peak. All our new blood is not here. I'd rather have Aleman, Cavallini, Lefevre, Crepeau then DeGuzman, Ricketts, Jakovic, Stamatopoulos. If we are likely to get beat I say let the young guys play and show everyone what they got.

53 minutes ago, Moldy9 said:

There's no shame playing all defensive when you're the overwhelming underdog and you just got schooled at home to the same team and this time you're playing away so you can give zero fawks of what the fans and media think.

Not to forget Floro has been playing the triple T for the last 2 years why change now!? Hes made turtling so common that turtle necks are back in style. Don't give up now with the one trick show señor Benito. 

I seriously believe the CSA told Floro objective #1 was to make the Hex and Floro & Sons are just doing the minimum to ensure that and get their bonus. It's seems so desperate now! Even if we make the Hex by the skin of our teeth and Slv Hon don't  capitalize we won't go far in the Hex. We can't keep playing like this Turtle Turtle Tactic and hope to get results.

We only score goals against minnows and even there Belize scored the opener against us in Belize and we were lucky to have tied! You Got Dat Right Maestro!

Plus like someone here already posted the majority of our current players from Friday's game are at their or past their peak. All our new blood is not here. I'd rather have Aleman, Cavallini, Lefevre, Crepeau then DeGuzman, Ricketts, Jakovic, Stamatopoulos. If we are likely to get beat I say let the young guys play and show everyone what they got.

You are in such conflict with yourself.  You first are ripping Floro implying he doesn't care about making the World Cup and just wants to make the Hex to get a bonus.  You then imply that we are capable of making the Cup if we didn't play Floro's "turtle" tactic.  (If you think we turtled Friday night against Mexico I suggest you do some research on tactics).  Further, you then suggest we should be throwing the results out the window and just playing the young guys.

So, do you want to make the world cup or not? Seems you have one side saying you do and Floro doesn't care, and the other side saying play young guys and not even make the hex.

2 hours ago, amanfromvancouver said:

You are in such conflict with yourself.  You first are ripping Floro implying he doesn't care about making the World Cup and just wants to make the Hex to get a bonus.  You then imply that we are capable of making the Cup if we didn't play Floro's "turtle" tactic.  (If you think we turtled Friday night against Mexico I suggest you do some research on tactics).  Further, you then suggest we should be throwing the results out the window and just playing the young guys.

So, do you want to make the world cup or not? Seems you have one side saying you do and Floro doesn't care, and the other side saying play young guys and not even make the hex.

I hope this is not your way of trying to get more attention. Please don't take my rebuke as personal or bullying. 

Turtle Turtle. That's all we ever play is defensive, park the bus. And to Floro that's his way he sees Canada's only chance of making it cause he knows our limitations to attack and be creative. But thank God we didn't play that way Friday. I was there part of that crowd. I didn't travel all the way to see Canada put on a snooze fest and in front of 55,000 at home you shouldn't be playing that style. You should at least try and go for it  whether that was his plan or the players wanting to take the fight who knows   

Second did you listen to his post game comments and now pre game comments? If anyone is at conflict its him. He said after the game Mexico is a powerhouse and we are a good team not a very good team so the result is not a surprise and that if Hoillett would've scored it wouldn't have made a difference. Now he says we will go all out attack. That's a joke right?

and third yes I do want Canada to make the World Cup but under Benito's tortuga tortuga tactics we won't get there. I tried being optimistic and even thought we could've got a draw at home with his park the bus style but seems that because of his lack of tactics, add to that his crappy first team selection with old players and players not in the right positions, plus politics and our players being inept at creating chances and notcapitalizing on them we will wait another four years.  Today's game will be 0-3 I've already made that prediction  if that's the case better give the chance to some promising young players rather than guys that already had their chance or are too slow or not talented enough at this level: Jakovic, Straith, De Guzman, Ricketts  

Lastly I hope this is a lesson to you. I have answered your criticisms and didn't play the victim card like you did with so many other posters refusing to answer their critiques but rather saying everyone is a bully. I hope this is not a desperate attempt to get more "me" time. I hope you sincerely stick to talking about the state of Canada's soccer whether it be a positive or negative one and not take things so personal. 

For this match I say Viva la Tortuga! In this game I'll admit and have admitted in the past it's the only chance of lessening the blow against a superior opposition in their house  this wasn't the tactic vs Slv we should've used  

Well, Mr Moldy

If you think Friday night was a turtle performance by Canada, I don't know what to say.

Newsflash.. .Canada is not good enough yet; tactics really are not the issue at this point; we are not beating Mexico 9 times out of 10 even with the greatest manager in the history of managers planning our tactics.  We have a player pool that is the best it has ever been; this is cause for celebration for the future.  It still, is not in the top 6 in our region; so making the Hex and getting that 4th spot with a playoff is our best opportunity this cycle and like it or not, Floro has given us that chance.

I have said for a long time, we need to commit to one manager for 2 cycles. This whole nonsense we have had since Holger left, of sacking every world cup cycle is non productive.  Pick a guy, stick with him, and let him run with it for better or worse. We are building a program miles away from the top echelon and that takes time, a lot of time. Not 2 years, not 1 round of WC games, not one game with a specific tactic. It is a build.

If we hire, get mad because we don't qualify, sack, start over... rinse and repeat... do you want this for another 8 world cup cycles?  We go on and on about tactics with Mitchell, Yallop. Hart, the list is a long one..... 

The reality is, we have come a long way in 4 years.  It is exciting and fun. It is however, not helpful to blow it all up and start over. Developing players means starting with youth, and it takes years for those youth to be on your national team.  The fruits of this campaign will be felt years from now.

we have the best chance of qualifying since the Hex with the Duze back in the 90's... we have several players re commit to our program....  this is cause to celebrate and Floro and Son have earned another cycle regardless of what happens here.

Just a point to add. Are we really getting better or is this a superior Mexican team to the one we faced in 08. We drew 2-2 in that game and were actually never trailing. I was there in Edmonton for that match. Now we lose 3-0 at home and this is the best squad assembled in Cdn history? I also said we beat Belize 8-0 agg in '04 and in 2015 5-1 agg with a draw. Granted both games in 04 were played in Canada but we are talking about Belize and playing against the taxi driver and postman. 

Have we come far since 10 years ago? I still think our best team was 2007 GC. 

8 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

Just a point to add. Are we really getting better or is this a superior Mexican team to the one we faced in 08. We drew 2-2 in that game and were actually never trailing. I was there in Edmonton for that match. Now we lose 3-0 at home and this is the best squad assembled in Cdn history? I also said we beat Belize 8-0 agg in '04 and in 2015 5-1 agg with a draw. Granted both games in 04 were played in Canada but we are talking about Belize and playing against the taxi driver and postman. 

Have we come far since 10 years ago? I still think our best team was 2007 GC. 

Mexico is playing really well right now; I think this is a different Mexico than the game you reference from the past; also different stakes on the line.

10 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

But thank God we didn't play that way Friday. I was there part of that crowd. I didn't travel all the way to see Canada put on a snooze fest and in front of 55,000 at home you shouldn't be playing that style. You should at least try and go for it  whether that was his plan or the players wanting to take the fight who knows   

Really? I was just saying that I wish they put 55,000 people to sleep and got a point. I'm not being sarcastic. I really think that the only way for us to get a point vs. Mexico was to park the bus. And I REALLY wanted that point. 

Just now, barca99 said:

Really? I was just saying that I wish they put 55,000 people to sleep and got a point. I'm not being sarcastic. I really think that the only way for us to get a point vs. Mexico was to park the bus. And I REALLY wanted that point. 

Well they kinda did. They did fawk all for most of the game and made lots of give away passes. Yeah just cause they park a bus doesn't mean we're guaranteed a draw. Look what happened tonight with the penalty and the spin a roonie. Look how Jamaica got a result against us in the GC dying minutes. We can't score. We are so deep in the trenches we can't climb out to attack. 

Archived