WCQ - Canada vs. Mexico Mar. 25th, 2016 Pre-Game Thread

BrennanFan

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Footscray said:

Add Jakovic to the list of guys out of their depth.  Henry diving in, Dejan standing there like a pylon.  Terrible terrible stuff.

Jakovic doesn't even get time in the Japanese 2 league. Should we really expect him to hang with the Mexico stars?

1 minute ago, bwilly11 said:

Floro is the best manager we have ever had. He is the reason we have the best roster we've ever had. We are simply just not the caliber of Mexico. What do you expect? 

I agree. He has built the strongest team we have had in years. If we lose to Honduras or tie El Salvador then we can talk about firing him.

Floro is the best manager we have ever had. He is the reason we have the best roster we've ever had. We are simply just not the caliber of Mexico. What do you expect? 

You must be fucking kidding me.  Holger with probably worse talent won a Gold Cup.  Benito Floro with his turtle, turtle tactics got us a 1st round exit.  Our problem over the last 15-20 years has never been defence.  we have shit the bed once with Hart but that wad one of worse generational of players we have ever seen.  

I'm shocked that Floro didn't fully park the bus and go for a 0-0 draw. We do that against teams that are similar to us, then we're more adventurous against Mexico? Makes no sense to me.

Could be worst though. USMNT supporters have it pretty bad tonight lol.

*edited better to similar - makes a difference...

Just now, bwilly11 said:

The story today it not the loss. Its the progress this country has made. We are a playing a top talent in world football, we can not expect much. Just be happy, this is a monumental day despite the result. Our future is very, very bright.

Have to somewhat agree.

This Mexican squad is really fucking good. Several levels above us. Not sure we can realistically expect to play with them. Hope yes, expect no.

3 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

You must be fucking kidding me.  Holger with probably worse talent won a Gold Cup.  Benito Floro with his turtle, turtle tactics got us a 1st round exit.  Our problem over the last 15-20 years has never been defence.  we have shit the bed once with Hart but that wad one of worse generational of players we have ever seen.  

completely disagree

Pitiful performance overall, especially from offence. Mexico clearly wanted it way more, and Canada should be ashamed for looking so milquetoast out there in front of a record home crowd.

I am sick,  because they actually kept pace with the opposition for the first 15 to 20 minutes. Their forwards did absolutely squat, though. And that Larin miss really brought down the team's morale, I think. It looked like he didn't even try to put it on net.

And don't blame the ref. He's been very lenient, and you want a lenient ref when you play the injury fakers and divers in Central America. 

Would you rather Steven Hart?

Naw, both have pros and cons.  Hart took a lot of shit for that bailout at the end of last cycle but people forget that he out coached Honduras at home and was basically a post in that game from the hex.

If Frank Yallop was still available though...

37 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Arfield deep in Mexico end, makes an 8 foot uncontested pass to Henry, who lets the ball slide under his foot and into touch. Midfielders unable to move the ball forward to running teammates so they can receive the ball in full flight. For YEARS, this has perplexed me, how can't these "pros" make the pass so the runner can run onto it, rather than having to back track or come to a stop to collect the pass. This was a horrible display. Worst of all, Holliet, two shots 25 meters wide, Larin or Ricketts...it doesn't matter which one, they both suck. Tries a toe punch from 10 meters out and spills the ball 10 meters wide....how is that even geometrically possible.

You all have many more preschool mistakes to highlight, I'm only scratching the surface.

Still can't believe we coughed up 2pts in El Salvador against a "B" squad. With Honduras tie tonight, those points will be the difference in whether we get to next round. Will be like last time where we could have sewn up a place well before going down to Honduras, but instead we will need a result. 

55k for a CMNT game, never thought I'd see it.  Awesome crowd.  El Salvador result was a godsend.  All in not a terrible night.

I do think Azteca is a lost cause but playing with house money so nothing to lose.  Hoping El Salvador gets another result and we can really have a party in Vancouver in the fall for the last home game.

Night all.

Archived