WCQ - Canada vs. Mexico Mar. 25th, 2016 Pre-Game Thread

BrennanFan

10 hours ago, Lucho.Sevilla said:

Hello guys, i believe this Canada team will make it to the hex, i have seen the other 2 games, and this time canadian players looked somewhat scared i didnt expect that..... Yes mexico has a good team, but them being number one in the group was something everybody knew would happen months ahead of this game, dont give up on your team just yet, its not fair for them, today Mexico played like a bully, sat back for the first part of 1st half and then came after the points, and that happened because in Mexico these games are a huge deal, a bad result would had trigger a tsunami of critics on the coach and all of the players, being honest i thought we were going to get a draw, anyway im happy to see Canadian soccer is developing and to see the huge crowd tonight was amazing and remember soccer is just a game, and the best part of it is that it always gives you the opportunity to have a new chance. Go CANADA!! 

Hello

The Hex is highly probable (nothing guaranteed of course).  The EL Salvador Honduras tie yesterday was fantastic.  Let's assume we lose in Azteca (no shame there), the worst scenario is 1 point back of El Slavador (if they win on Tuesday and that is no guarantee either).

It should set up a win at home in September and probably a tie on the road match.  Even if we need 2 wins that is still achievable.

Look we got beat 3-0.  However, anyone who is objective and has watched the program for the long term knows, that this was a different type of loss.  We attacked, created chances, looked dangerous, and have several players still under 25 who are on an upward trajectory.  Just remember many losses to Mexico where we played in a shell, and were lucky to get one scoring chance.  This is a new program.   This was a very exciting match for our future (our program is building, today's results are not #1 do or die),  Mexico on their best day is a top 20 nation; there is no shame in that loss last night.

I challenge anyone who was at the match to say it was not a good time.  Yeah, losing sucks; but I had an absolute blast at the game, and walked away very encouraged for the next 5 years of our program.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, amanfromvancouver said:

Hello

The Hex is highly probable (nothing guaranteed of course).  The EL Salvador Honduras tie yesterday was fantastic.  Let's assume we lose in Azteca (no shame there), the worst scenario is 1 point back of El Slavador (if they win on Tuesday and that is no guarantee either).

It should set up a win at home in September and probably a tie on the road match.  Even if we need 2 wins that is still achievable.

Look we got beat 3-0.  However, anyone who is objective and has watched the program for the long term knows, that this was a different type of loss.  We attacked, created chances, looked dangerous, and have several players still under 25 who are on an upward trajectory.  Just remember many losses to Mexico where we played in a shell, and were lucky to get one scoring chance.  This is a new program.   This was a very exciting match for our future (our program is building, today's results are not #1 do or die),  Mexico on their best day is a top 20 nation; there is no shame in that loss last night.

I challenge anyone who was at the match to say it was not a good time.  Yeah, losing sucks; but I had an absolute blast at the game, and walked away very encouraged for the next 5 years of our program.

Ya our midfield of Atiba 33, WJ, 29, and De Guzman, 35 is really on an upward trajectory!

2 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

Ya our midfield of Atiba 33, WJ, 29, and De Guzman, 35 is really on an upward trajectory!

Are you being silly?  I said "several players are under 25..." I didn't say all of them.. why would you crap all over my entire post to point out our older players?

Strange reaction.  Enjoy it.  God damn the Voyageurs continue to treat outsiders like crap. Bunch of fucking bullies.

8 minutes ago, amanfromvancouver said:

Are you being silly?  I said "several players are under 25..." I didn't say all of them.. why would you crap all over my entire post to point out our older players?

Strange reaction.  Enjoy it.  God damn the Voyageurs continue to treat outsiders like crap. Bunch of fucking bullies.

Your post is incorrect anyway. Our XI was old. Larin and Henry were the only young guns. Hoilett is turning 26, Ricketts and Jakovic are turning 29, De Jong is turning 30. The younger players (Osorio, Froese, Aird, Trafford) were all left at home. Tesho barely saw any minutes and Piette isn't even a full professiional anymore, last having played in the 2. Bundesliga like 3 years ago. There wasn't much in the way of future building from what I saw out there.

7 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

Your post is incorrect anyway. Our XI was old. Larin and Henry were the only young guns. Hoilett is turning 26, Ricketts and Jakovic are turning 29, De Jong is turning 30. The younger players (Osorio, Froese, Aird, Trafford) were all left at home. Tesho barely saw any minutes and Piette isn't even a full professiional anymore, last having played in the 2. Bundesliga like 3 years ago. There wasn't much in the way of future building from what I saw out there.

Swarming and bullying people is typical of this forum. Belittling people is par for the course and you did that in your first post towards me.

People here can not handle different view points without calling people trolls, ignorant, stupid, or mocking them.  You did the same thing.

Remember everyone? I got called several degrading names because I said Canadian fans would outnumber Mexican fans at this game.  Well, guess what... I WAS RIGHT ABOUT THAT.  I could have been wrong, I could have been right; that didn't matter. What mattered is how people treated me for giving that opinion.

Did one person apologize for the nasty comments; the attempt to bully me into leaving the forum? Nope, not one. Especially not your so called leadership.

People can agree or disagree without belittling, swarming, or name calling.  Unfortunately, that is not possible here.  There is always a group who think they know everything and if anyone has a different view they should be ridiculed into leaving.

4 minutes ago, amanfromvancouver said:

Swarming and bullying people is typical of this forum. Belittling people is par for the course and you did that in your first post towards me.

People here can not handle different view points without calling people trolls, ignorant, stupid, or mocking them.  You did the same thing.

Remember everyone? I got called several degrading names because I said Canadian fans would outnumber Mexican fans at this game.  Well, guess what... I WAS RIGHT ABOUT THAT.  I could have been wrong, I could have been right; that didn't matter. What mattered is how people treated me for giving that opinion.

Did one person apologize for the nasty comments; the attempt to bully me into leaving the forum? Nope, not one. Especially not your so called leadership.

People can agree or disagree without belittling, swarming, or name calling.  Unfortunately, that is not possible here.  There is always a group who think they know everything and if anyone has a different view they should be ridiculed into leaving.

Dodging the counter point. Nice. Also I don't think anyone called you any names.

3 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

Dodging the counter point. Nice. Also I don't think anyone called you any names.

I was called several names in other times with my viewpoints (most recently being called ignorant for saying that the majority of BC Place would be Canadian fans - which it was by the way).

This group is typical online behavior; bunch of guys behind their keyboards discriminating and insulting anyone who is not part of their little clique.

And i wasn't dodging anything.  I believe we have several players with great potential in our program that are still under 25.  You think we are old and seemingly at a dead end.  I disagree with you but certainly will not belittle, mock, or bully you for that opinion.

11 hours ago, bwilly11 said:

bwilly "over there"...over where?

Id like to see you give that spiel to our boys tonight. "Yeah, Mexico is better so lets just give up next match, save ourselves". Thats ridiculous. No way in hell your theory holds true. You can talk shit over the internet all you want. I happen to believe every athlete will give there honest best every match. 

You are delusional

2 minutes ago, amanfromvancouver said:

I was called several names in other times with my viewpoints (most recently being called ignorant for saying that the majority of BC Place would be Canadian fans - which it was by the way).

This group is typical online behavior; bunch of guys behind their keyboards discriminating and insulting anyone who is not part of their little clique.

i dont think being called ignorant is a "nasty" comment. 

lets not turn this into another united nations rights debate like last time

17 minutes ago, king1010 said:

i dont think being called ignorant is a "nasty" comment. 

lets not turn this into another united nations rights debate like last time

well, it is because it is a comment intended to bully, belittle, or drive someone away from the discussion.

In the context of that attack, I had a view point that Canadians would outnumber Mexican fans at this game.  I could have been right, or I could have been wrong.  Neither made me ignorant or a troll (another word used towards that opinion).

The fact I was correct (I had asked around and was not ignorant of the issue at all) should have earned me an apology; but of course, guys like this feel they can treat people like crap and not man up and admit they were wrong to treat someone that way.

I also took MASSIVE attacks for opposing the forceful manipulation of ticketing; keeping the upper deck closed, not allowing people with Mexican colors in the stadium, etc.  I knew quite well that opening it up would be good for Canada, and the growth of interest in our game.  I was right.  Again, I could have been right, or wrong.. that wasn't the point. The point was I was aggressively attacked, swarmed, bullied, insulted, with vigor to try to get rid of me because I didn't play with the consensus.

This is what I have learned about the Voyageurs... "think our way, do it our way, or fuck off"....  I see no other message.

Which is too bad because i always admired the hard work the Voyageurs put in over the years; I remember days at Swangard where there may have been 50 of you at most.  You have come a long way.  Yet, I decide to get involved and come to this forum, and I see a shocking culture that is not inclusive or welcoming unless you act like a complete clone.

On March 25, 2016 at 6:34 AM, Gian-Luca said:

If all else fails, I think we could still throw Garret Kusch on the pitch to destroy the opposition

What a prophetic post. He didn't destroy th opposition, but he sure took care of that streaker.

5 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Nice try adouchefromvancoucer. You were railing against the V's being able to control our own ticketing for the supporters section, that's why people told you to fuck off. Go back to your own sandbox.

In addition to speaking out against the Voyageurs trying to manipulate a portion of a public facility, I was also speaking out against people trying to lobby for the entire stadium to be controlled, blocked off, etc.... and also giving an opinion that a fully open stadium would turn up with a majority of Canadian fans. 

The point is not whether I am right or wrong, it is the abuse you guys throw at someone who has a different view (or views in this case).  Even if I am wrong (which I wasn't) that didn't deserve online bullying ,swarming, and revolting comments.  People can agree and disagree in a civil manner.

You guys fear opinions and attack until the person leaves.

And your response is exactly the trash from the Voyageurs I am talking about.  An absolutely disgraceful group here and your leadership should be ashamed at how you treat people. 

PS- while I never give into bullies; it is clear the Voyageurs are not a place to discuss or debate the game we love in a civil and honest fashion.  People who do not fit the general idea are mocked, insulted, called names, and generally told to go the fuck away.  Being called ignorant simply for suggesting that my research led me to believe there would be a majority of Canadian fans at BC Place last night took the cake.  I am better than that, and I call on any Voyageurs who are better than that to re consider their affiliation with this group.  For me, I will not continue this affiliation even through a message forum.  An embarassment to supporters culture in Canada, and I hope the CSA reconsiders their endorsement.

Mr manfrom vancouver...You have to chill out some.  There are 100's of regular posters and 100's more lurkers etc.  Everytime someone gives you a smart ass response you dont need to paint everyone with a nasty brush, railing about bullies and not being open and accepting to others opinions, saying you are going to quit posting etc etc.  If I said i liked breathing, I would probably get 2-3 people who say it is overrated or better than spains div 2, or too old, not in game shape or could be replaced on the roster by Osorio.   Such is life, relax and dont take every post as a dagger in your back, especially if they have a different opinion.   Serenity now......................

2 hours ago, amanfromvancouver said:

The point is not whether I am right or wrong, it is the abuse you guys throw at someone who has a different view (or views in this case).  Even if I am wrong (which I wasn't) that didn't deserve online bullying ,swarming, and revolting comments.  People can agree and disagree in a civil manner.

You guys fear opinions and attack until the person leaves.

And your response is exactly the trash from the Voyageurs I am talking about.  An absolutely disgraceful group here and your leadership should be ashamed at how you treat people. 

PS- while I never give into bullies; it is clear the Voyageurs are not a place to discuss or debate the game we love in a civil and honest fashion.  People who do not fit the general idea are mocked, insulted, called names, and generally told to go the fuck away.  Being called ignorant simply for suggesting that my research led me to believe there would be a majority of Canadian fans at BC Place last night took the cake.  I am better than that, and I call on any Voyageurs who are better than that to re consider their affiliation with this group.  For me, I will not continue this affiliation even through a message forum.  An embarassment to supporters culture in Canada, and I hope the CSA reconsiders their endorsement.

Please get off the high horse.  You've been around what a day or two and you whine like that, really?

I'm like a punch drunk boxer with all the fights I've had around here since the very beginning

Please don't tell me you don't know when you post something others may have issue with.  I know every time when I'm going to have a little skirmish and i make sure I'm prepared to back up my opinion with facts.  If you can't do that or choose not to I have little sympathy for you.

At least you are allowed a voice here, go to RPB where a person can get banned after one post,  I've scrapped with almost every old timer on this board (except one) who has miraculously stayed respected and above reproach.  I've been called and have called others every name in the book because I sometimes think a little differently and things get heated, but let's call a spade a spade you gotta grow up and face reality.  And i just put that as nicely as I could.

I am getting that you resemble the subject of the article I'm about to link to.  It to me is frightening that the future could be in the hands of young people like this.  Got forbid had people had this much jelly for a spine in 1940 we'd be speaking German now.

I find the article below enlightening and frightening at the same time,  As an aside to how universities are ceasing to being bastions of free speech and ideas, Youtube has recorded speeches from UCLA of people they invited to speak.  They weren't afraid of differing ideas in the 60s and 70s, they had people as diverse as Martin Luther King and George Lincoln Rockwell head of the American Nazi Party (who was actually kind of amusing)

The Coddling of the American Mind
In the name of emotional well-being, college students are increasingly demanding protection from words and ideas they don’t like. Here’s why that’s disastrous for education—and mental health.

And to add to the insanity top comedians won't play colleges because they fear the problems that can ensue should they "offend" somebody, the prime example being Jerry Seinfeld.  Jerry Seinfeld of observational comedy fame, who the hell could he offend?  The person who lost a sock behind the dryer?

That’s Not Funny!
Today’s college students can’t seem to take a joke.

Frankly this wimp attitude is offensive to me!

6 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

At least you are allowed a voice here, go to RPB where a person can get banned after one post.

Someone else should get off their high horse.

4 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Yeah, you've had your moments.  Funny you chose to highlight the sentence about RPB, I thought you didn't know who they were.

I know now but we all know you had some bad childhood experiences with TFC fans. Tbh i agreed with your whole post accept for your passive aggressive comment.

Again, see, amanfrovancouver, canta gets a shot at me, I get a shot at him, we're both still breathing, the sun will rise tomorrow all is good.  I think you are assuming the world is made up of mature thinking adults, it isn't, that why we have bad things like crime and war.  A little Internet flame war is a small, small problem in the larger scheme of things.  Isn't that what they call a third world problem?

3 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Again, see, amanfrovancouver, canta gets a shot at me, I get a shot at him, we're both still breathing, the sun will rise tomorrow all is good.  I think you are assuming the world is made up of mature thinking adults, it isn't, that why we have bad things like crime and war.  A little Internet flame war is a small, small problem in the larger scheme of things.  Isn't that what they call a third world problem?

First world problem*

Archived