WCQ - Canada vs. Mexico Mar. 25th, 2016 Pre-Game Thread

BrennanFan

Just now, nolbertos said:

De vos was a former captain of canada, after Forrest retired, he was part of the Gold Cup winning team and had been critical of rhe CSA, OSA and other organizations not doing much for the grassroots.   As a pundit he's OK but not great but he's right.  Hoilette should've gotten a yellow, sit out the lost cause against Mexico at Azteca, as no way Canada will ever get any result there as Honduras and El Salvador were always going to be the teams we'll battle for 2nd place.

thank you. 

bwilly over there will tell you he rode the pine in highschool soccer so he knows players never take professional fouls or do things like that. 

o and if something he doesn't agree with is found on the internet its a lie. 

anything to further his view

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, king1010 said:

thank you. 

bwilly over there will tell you he rode the pine in highschool soccer so he knows players never take professional fouls or do things like that. 

o and if something he doesn't agree with is found on the internet its a lie. 

anything to further his view

bwilly "over there"...over where?

Id like to see you give that spiel to our boys tonight. "Yeah, Mexico is better so lets just give up next match, save ourselves". Thats ridiculous. No way in hell your theory holds true. You can talk shit over the internet all you want. I happen to believe every athlete will give there honest best every match. 

3 minutes ago, bwilly11 said:

bwilly "over there"...over where?

Id like to see you give that spiel to our boys tonight. "Yeah, Mexico is better so lets just give up next match, save ourselves". Thats ridiculous. No way in hell your theory holds true. You can talk shit over the internet all you want. I happen to believe every athlete will give there honest best every match. 

as you will. i provided evidence that the best team in the world will take a yellow so their player is available for the critical match. 

you covered your ears and pretended not to believe it. 

not saying an athlete doesn't give his honest best. im saying if he happens to pick up a yellow in game we have no chance in thus not allowhim him to "give his very best" in the match that matter then we're fucked. 

de vos agrees with that POV. Luis Enrique agrees. 

but you dont

I know whose side im on

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

He also thinks tonight was just peachy, that the future is bright, and that we have a real chance of winning at Azteca.

Fuck I wish I was still 14.

You probably shouldn't be on a supporters message board arguing with strangers if you dont actually support the team then. I do believe the future is very bright. We played with Mexico tonight, we didnt win. We had 55k and inspired many youth across the country.

We cant win in Azteca? Really? Tell me why Mr. Troll?

2 minutes ago, bwilly11 said:

You probably shouldn't be on a supporters message board arguing with strangers if you dont actually support the team then. I do believe the future is very bright. We played with Mexico tonight, we didnt win. We had 55k and inspired many youth across the country.

i enjoy the new poster with 40 posts telling long time posters that they shouldn't be on a supporters forum when they've been supporting for years

if you think he's a troll you're not going to fit in around here

newsflash ppl aren't here to troll. they're here to call it as it is. nobody wants Canada to suck. we want whats best for the program. but we're calling it like it is

55K and inspired many youths means shit all. we already have the highest participation rate among any sports in the country. what we need is a complete overhaul of the grassroots development

I'm actually not totally bummed out despite 3-0 score.

The game was lost once I saw the starting lineup. But despite Floro's terrible selection, the boys played well for parts of the game against much superior Mexicans. If you can't put away one of 4 great chances against a team like Mexicans, you are going to lose. The hold up play at times was awesome. Mexican defenders can't handle Larin. Atiba still has twinkle feet. 

Everyone ragged on Henry, but Will Johnson had shocker of a game too.

If Floro doesn't realize his mistake and bench Henry and Ricketts, it's going to be a gongshow at Azteca. 

At least El Salvador-Honduras game was a draw, so there's still hope for the Hex

1 minute ago, king1010 said:

as you will. i provided evidence that the best team in the world will take a yellow so their player is available for the critical match. 

you covered your ears and pretended not to believe it. 

not saying an athlete doesn't give his honest best. im saying if he happens to pick up a yellow in game we have no chance in thus not allowhim him to "give his very best" in the match that matter then we're fucked. 

de vos agres with that POV. Luis Enrique agrees. 

but you dont

I know whose side im on

Do you think your so called evidence would hold true in court? haha no, its a media story. Give me a break man. 

1 minute ago, king1010 said:

i enjoy the new poster with 40 posts telling long time posters that they shouldn't be on a supporters forum when they've been supporting for years

if you think he's a troll you're not going to fit in around here

newsflash ppl aren't here to troll. they're here to call it as it is. nobody wants Canada to suck. we want whats best for the program. but we're calling it like it is

Posts on a message board determine rank do they? Oh im sorry, dont want to have an opinion and piss off the holy internet ranks. Get serious man. I actually support Canada and have been for 30 years, probably before you were even born.

I am happy about our future and happy about tonight even if its a loss. I'm open to hear your opinion as well, in fact I actually enjoy it if someone challenges me and makes me rethink my stance. You havent been very convincing to me so far, but I think we can both agree we have the same goals. Im an optimistic person, I prefer glass half full. You seem like a glass half empty type. I like the banter either way.

5 minutes ago, bwilly11 said:

I honestly can't tell if you naive or serious, Bwilly.  One thing is too be realistic and another is kool-aid positive supporter.  The last 20-30 years or longer, our recprd at Azteca has always been bad.  Even when we had Forrest, bunbury, Aunger, Mobilio, Peschisolido, great Canadian players in their prime, we got hammered 7-0.  They win because the city is also one of the highest altitude cities in the world, so right off the bat, they have that huge advantage of wearing down teams.  We have no chance mathematically of winning there, but if I were Floro, just play more defenders that game and like others are saying, park the bus, so we don't get a worse goal differential.

ya sorry billy. glad you support canada. so do I but im not drinking your kool aid. and im not the only one of these boards who think arfield and hoilett shouldn't play in mexico. have a look at the other threads. 

also wtf hold true in court? what are you talking about man. this aint court

5 minutes ago, bwilly11 said:

Because we have never won there.  Because have been outscored 21-2 there.  Because, on the evidence of tonight's game, we have no chance whatsoever of winning there.  Because -whether it is drawing a crap El Salvador B team or being humiliated by Honduras last cycle - we generally play like shit when we play away in Latin American countries.n All of that that may not seem significant to a knowledgeable pundit like you, but I happen to think it matters.

The original point is that a coach needs to take the long view in a qualification cycle.  Getting an intentional yellow (and sitting out a game you are almost certain to lose) is justified if it ensures a top player's availability for a game where you are far more likely to get a result.  Yes coaches try to get wins in every match.  But a good one also keeps the bigger picture in mind and thinks strategically.  Thinking only about the next game, and not the overall path to the hex would be idiocy.

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

Because we have never won there.  Because have been outscored 21-2 there.  Because, on the evidence of tonight's game, we have no chance whatsoever of winning there.  Because -whether it is drawing a crap El Salvador B team or being humiliated by Honduras last cycle - we generally play like shit when we play away in Latin American countries.n All of that that may not seem significant to a knowledgeable pundit like you, but I happen to think it matters.

The original point is that a coach needs to take the long view in a qualification cycle.  Getting an intentional yellow (and sitting out a game you are almost certain to lose) is justified if it ensures a top player's availability for a game where you are far more likely to get a result.  Yes coaches try to get wins in every match.  But a good one also keeps the bigger picture in mind and thinks strategically.  Thinking only about the next game, and not the overall path to the hex would be idiocy.

that doesn't fit billys POV. he won't accept those facts. they wouldn't hold in a court of law

1 minute ago, nolbertos said:

I honestly can't tell if you naive or serious, Bwilly.  One thing is too be realistic and another is kool-aid positive supporter.  The last 20-30 years or longer, our recprd at Azteca has always been bad.  Even when we had Forrest, bunbury, Aunger, Mobilio, Peschisolido, great Canadian players in their prime, we got hammered 7-0.  They win because the city is also one of the highest altitude cities in the world, so right off the bat, they have that huge advantage of wearing down teams.  We have no chance mathematically of winning there, but if I were Floro, just play more defenders that game and like others are saying, park the bus, so we don't get a worse goal differential.

You know what I dont completely disagree. Odds are certainly against us. I think as supporters we can say we will lose. But the players are not thinking that way, thats why I have an optimistic view. I think anything can happen on any game. We can win. athletes dont concede defeat, they will be out for points, thats all I mean.

4 minutes ago, king1010 said:

that doesn't fit billys POV. he won't accept those facts. they wouldn't hold in a court of law

Thanks for agreeing. Youre welcome to come after me, but I'm not going to site useless blogs to try and make points to strangers haha

I support Canada thick and thin. 

Just now, bwilly11 said:

Thanks for agreeing. Youre welcome to come after me, but I'm not going to site useless blogs to try and make points to strangers haha

im sorry billy. I'm just ticked off after the loss. 

we both want the same thing which is the success of Canada Soccer. 

cheers and welcome to the forum

my apologies

Just now, king1010 said:

im sorry billy. I'm just ticked off after the loss. 

we both want the same thing which is the success of Canada Soccer. 

cheers and welcome to the forum

my apologies

All good man, me too. I dont want to start fights either. I appreciate your correspondence. If our supports were quiet  and without opinions I would be more worried. I think good banter is a great thing to help get the fires of Canadian football going.

Cheers

10 minutes ago, bwilly11 said:

Seriously, if you do have a strong feeling about a Canadian win on Tuesday, find a place and put down some money. :) I'm pretty sure you will get some pretty astronomical odds.

Just now, gkhs said:

Seriously, if you do have a strong feeling about a Canadian win on Tuesday, find a place and put down some money. :) I'm pretty sure you will get some pretty astronomical odds.

I'm very, very hopeful, not confident. I 100% dont think our boys are giving up or conceding defeat. I think they will put up a harder fight. That being said I'm not that stupid haha:lol: ...but hey, cant win if you dont bet, eh

3 minutes ago, bwilly11 said:

I'm very, very hopeful, not confident. I 100% dont think our boys are giving up or conceding defeat. I think they will put up a harder fight. That being said I'm not that stupid haha:lol: ...but hey, cant win if you dont bet, eh

And your children's children's children can tell the story. (Plus, they can all live in the castle you'd be able to buy with your winnings.) :) Just saying.

1 minute ago, dsqpr said:

True. But I'm absolutely positive there are many cases, both documented and strongly suspected, of players deliberately taking a yellow card for a foolish thing like kicking the ball away so they can miss a less important match to guarantee they will be available for a more important match. And it is hard to argue with the logic: it is really just good squad management.

Looking at it objectively, would you rather have your best team available for Honduras away or Mexico away? If the answer is Honduras away then you do what you need to do to make that happen.

On another note, we should be able to discuss this without insulting each other. :)

I dont want to deny it can happen. I just dont think our boys are capable of that mentality. Our culture in Canada is honest to a fault, but I get that they can do dirty stuff like you mention. I just dont think a 3-0 loss to Mexico will convince our guys the next match is not as important as Honduras. I think they will be out for revenge against Mexico, not prepping for a match in September...

Hello guys, i believe this Canada team will make it to the hex, i have seen the other 2 games, and this time canadian players looked somewhat scared i didnt expect that..... Yes mexico has a good team, but them being number one in the group was something everybody knew would happen months ahead of this game, dont give up on your team just yet, its not fair for them, today Mexico played like a bully, sat back for the first part of 1st half and then came after the points, and that happened because in Mexico these games are a huge deal, a bad result would had trigger a tsunami of critics on the coach and all of the players, being honest i thought we were going to get a draw, anyway im happy to see Canadian soccer is developing and to see the huge crowd tonight was amazing and remember soccer is just a game, and the best part of it is that it always gives you the opportunity to have a new chance. Go CANADA!! 

2 hours ago, One American said:

What was with having no one come up for that last corner?  There were like four people in the box. A goal in the 90th minute against Mexico might be the difference between the next round and not.

I understand a goal helps but Mexico send 3 players up to the half-way line on that last corner. They were CLEARLY thinking counter. I'm okay with playing it safe at that point. 

We are on -2 goal differential and Honduras is -3 if I got the math right. Most likely they will have a better goal differential after the next game so we need either a result in Honduras or Mexico to smash Honduras on last game and us to beat El Salvador. 

Archived