Canadian Premier League

ted

Just now, rob.notenboom said:

I'm personally much less interested in what people say about the league now and when it finally launches and much more interested in what people are willing to do to help it succeed. 

Buy tickets to games, buy jersey, watch it on TV regularly, tell friends about it. Unless I win the lotto I can't do much more ;)

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

I'm personally much less interested in what people say about the league now and when it finally launches and much more interested in what people are willing to do to help it succeed. 

10 minutes ago, matty said:

Buy tickets to games, buy jersey, watch it on TV regularly, tell friends about it. Unless I win the lotto I can't do much more ;)

I will buy T-shirts of all the teams (I'm probably the only one in MTL with a Ott. Fury & EDM FC t-shirt), go to a couple of games,Ott and Halifax maybe. I'm in the same boat as Matty concerning the lotto.:D.

11 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I will buy T-shirts of all the teams (I'm probably the only one in MTL with a Ott. Fury & EDM FC t-shirt), go to a couple of games,Ott and Halifax maybe. I'm in the same boat as Matty concerning the lotto.:D.

We win the 649 $50million jackpot. After we each buy a house, we buy The Voyageurs website and pay a team to throw it on their jersey for a season or two. We also buy Dryworld and sort out all their stupid issues (like not selling their stuff to the general public and moving production to Panama at the wrong time) and become the kit supplier for a team

13 hours ago, matty said:

Yes the MLS teams have invested into Canadian soccer but these 6-8 groups are also offering to invest a FUCK TON OF MONEY into Canadian soccer as well. They're also possibly offering to invest more money into provinces that the MLS teams can't hit up because it's reach is fairly limited. And they know the Canadian MLS are going to keep investing but they could easily kill the willingness of the 6-8 groups by fucking up their plans.

You'd think the fact the MLS teams were out of the loop until like 3 months ago, when they were told to fuck off, would tell you the CSA isn't loyal to them.

Yep, MLS will lose a lot of influence at the CSA. CPL owners can't be ignored either and the CSA loyalty will be to them first.

28 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Yep, MLS will lose a lot of influence at the CSA. CPL owners can't be ignored either and the CSA loyalty will be to them first.

I think the CPL will gain influence if it's done right but I don't think it will cause MLS to lose its influence or loyalty of the CSA outright. CSA will be mostly neutral I'm sure.

BTW guessing this might be what the tweet was about somewhat http://www.ontariosoccer.net/news_article/show/782686?referrer_id=2958561

Looks like a battle of PR is coming between CPL and our Canadian MLS clubs...

I'm watching the show Billions and that billionaire "total a-hole" makes giant donations...just to prove himself better than his competition, lol

Competition is good and everyone wins :D

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I'm watching the show Billions.....

How is that? I was thinking about starting it the other day but then watched OJ Made in America and The Neighbors instead because it Billions looked like it could go either way.

BTW OJ is amazing while The Neighbors might be the worst show I have ever seen in my life

3 minutes ago, matty said:

How is that? I was thinking about starting it the other day but then watched OJ Made in America and The Neighbors instead because it Billions looked like it could go either way.

BTW OJ is amazing while The Neighbors might be the worst show I have ever seen in my life

OJ was fascinating! Billions is unbelievably good!

2 hours ago, MtlMario said:

If the current MLS owners want to help CDN soccer ,as they always say,let them be MINORITY owners of a CPL team.This way everyone is involved for the good of CDN soccer. Thank u thank u very much.

Current Canadian MLS owners are altready helping Canadian soccer, they don't have to say it they already are.

Talking about owning a team, I think the best chance a team in Mtl would have is with Molson ownership(although I doubt it would happen),using the Canadiens marking machine(and I'm not even a fan,Chicago's my team). So it looks like the money I save from Impact(double)season tickets I will be doing trips to CPL locations.

33 minutes ago, matty said:

Yea they are and they don't get the credit here for that.

Since MLS came to Canada we have not made the u20 World Cup. Before MLS, we had been made 5 of our last 6 attempts. At the U17 level we last qualified in 2011 and 2013. Both times led by non-MLS players (Petrasso, Boakai, Gordon, Nanco and Aleman). 

I am increasingly feeling like something is very very broken. We continue to call up MLS heavy squads in the last couple of cycles and they have had terrible results.

15 hours ago, 1996 said:

That's what your hoping to believe, these MLS teams in Canada have spent s shit load of money on soccer in Canada like no one has ever spent before, if you think these organizations don't have any influence now with the CSA who sanction soccer in Canada then your dreaming in lala land, if this league happens the MLS teams in Canada will have a say at the end of the day in it, the bottom line is money in the end and money is power.

The lesson of the Aviators - and this is the only lesson we can learn from their sorry existence - is that you don't go into a venture with investors who are not committed to ride out the growing pains or tough times. The MLS owners really don't have anything to lose from pulling the plug on CPL - or at least their teams - at the first sign of adversity. There is nothing at all gain by having MLS involved in any meaningful way. 

Just now, Levi Oakey said:

Since MLS came to Canada we have not made the u20 World Cup. Before MLS, we had been made 5 of our last 6 attempts. At the U17 level we last qualified in 2011 and 2013. Both times led by non-MLS players (Petrasso, Boakai, Gordon, Nanco and Aleman). 

The blame should fall on the CSA not the MLS teams. They might be the biggest producer but they're not the system. I'd say you could probably blame the league more than the Canadian teams.

Also both Petrasso and Aleman went through TFC Academy. They're not grads but they did go there.

10 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

I am increasingly feeling like something is very very broken. We continue to call up MLS heavy squads in the last couple of cycles and they have had terrible results.

I agree the system we have is broken but the blame should mostly fall on the CSA, who are attempting to correct the problems, and not the MLS teams in Canada.

10 minutes ago, Gordon said:

The lesson of the Aviators - and this is the only lesson we can learn from their sorry existence - is that you don't go into a venture with investors who are not committed to ride out the growing pains or tough times.

I think this same lesson can be seen with the Fury as we speak. Moving to USL and cutting their academy to save money, it doesn't seem to me like ownership is fully committed to the cause.

1 hour ago, matty said:

I think the CPL will gain influence if it's done right but I don't think it will cause MLS to lose its influence or loyalty of the CSA outright. CSA will be mostly neutral I'm sure.

BTW guessing this might be what the tweet was about somewhat http://www.ontariosoccer.net/news_article/show/782686?referrer_id=2958561

Maybe trying to block Whitecaps a bit ? At some point I wonder if they'll ask MLS to change the recruiting territories. They should have all of Ontario, it's only fair.

anyone have a map of the territories ?

also am I alone in hoping that the players we recruit from say South America eventually play for Canada ?

1 minute ago, Dominic94 said:

also am I alone in hoping that the players we recruit from say South America eventually play for Canada ?

I know @Ansem is big on this but I don't think signing non-national team level players from Costa Rica and Honduras will help the league in the early days. Maybe a Gilberto type guy from out of Brazil could but it would cost a lot and he'd need to be here for like 5-7 years

32 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

I think it's a bit worrying that the players that have had the most success for TFC that spent time with the academy, are Doneil Henry, Ashtone Morgan, and Jonathan Osorio. I believe all of them (in particular Osorio) basically learned their soccer elsewhere, had a cup of coffee with TFC's academy, and then turned pro. The guys that have spent several years in TFC's academy haven't made much of a mark yet.

Of course the guys that have spent more time in the academy are also younger, so there is still time for guys like Hamilton and Edwards to surpass those guys. I sure hope they do.

I'm reminded of Paul Mariner saying 5 or 6 years ago that the 12 year olds in the academy are unbelievable, and as good as anywhere else in the world, and that if they don't become great pros, TFC is doing something wrong. Well, those kids would be the age of the U17s now. Will those kids be able to qualify for the U17 World Cup? Or is TFC doing something wrong? Or maybe most likely, Paul Mariner is just an idiot that doesn't know what he's talking about.

14 minutes ago, matty said:

I agree the system we have is broken but the blame should mostly fall on the CSA, who are attempting to correct the problems, and not the MLS teams in Canada.

I think the MLS teams exacerbated the problem. And the Canadian Premier League might be the fix.

Here is a theory. The MLS teams in Canada came in with big money and big aspirations. That big money and larger aspirations led to most talent ending up at either TFC, VWFC, or IMFC. Scouts from foreign teams now focused on scouting directly from the MLS teams and the top talent is now all being focused into those three streams. The education they are getting there is not as good as the Euro education that they used to get, but TFC has enough money to hold on to the players, unlike the amateur clubs before it. But the education process is too focused and still not professional enough (this might change over time). Homegrown players are still not a big deal in MLS. For an example TFC and the Impact are near the bottom of the HGP table: 

Vancouver is ranked really highly because of Davies. The Canadian MLS teams are still struggling to get the development part right. During this period, I think we have hurt Canadian player development.

4 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

I think the MLS teams exacerbated the problem. And the Canadian Premier League might be the fix.

Here is a theory. The MLS teams in Canada came in with big money and big aspirations. That big money and larger aspirations led to most talent ending up at either TFC, VWFC, or IMFC. Scouts from foreign teams now focused on scouting directly from the MLS teams and the top talent is now all being focused into those three streams. The education they are getting there is not as good as the Euro education that they used to get, but TFC has enough money to hold on to the players, unlike the amateur clubs before it. But the education process is too focused and still not professional enough (this might change over time). Homegrown players are still not a big deal in MLS. For an example TFC and the Impact are near the bottom of the HGP table: 

Vancouver is ranked really highly because of Davies. The Canadian MLS teams are still struggling to get the development part right. During this period, I think we have hurt Canadian player development.

Huh, Edwards isn't a HGP? I didn't realize that, but TFC's website seems to confirm it.

Jay Chapman has apparently played 24 minutes this season, and is a HGP, but that's it for TFC HGP minutes. This doesn't invalidate your point though.

Just now, Kent said:

Huh, Edwards isn't a HGP? I didn't realize that, but TFC's website seems to confirm it.

Jay Chapman has apparently played 24 minutes this season, and is a HGP, but that's it for TFC HGP minutes. This doesn't invalidate your point though.

And Jay, like others, had a cup of tea at TFC. He was lucky enough to sign before he was 16, but like others played locally and for TFC. I think Chapman and Camargo also show that leaving TFC was better for their careers (both played NCAA ball and played PDL at KW). Edwards played L10 in 2014, TFC saw him and scooped him up. They like to claim him as being a big Academy product... @Jahinho Guerro said he played against him in a rec league.

Archived