Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Real Talk: Is anyone else slightly worried that the May to October model (mentioned in the Halifax dox iirc) will hurt the league? I mean what are they going to do for pre-seaon since all other leagues will have started like a month or two prior? Are players going to be free to take contracts during the offseason (eg like ISL)? Do you guy worry give MLS two months unchallenged for attention will hurt the leagues reach?

I hope they push into April. Every Canadian team has already played a home game this year. Sure they may be some freak snow but those games are special in their own way. 

Alternatively, every match is played in Victoria from March through May. 

5 hours ago, matty said:

Real Talk: Is anyone else slightly worried that the May to October model (mentioned in the Halifax dox iirc) will hurt the league? I mean what are they going to do for pre-seaon since all other leagues will have started like a month or two prior? Are players going to be free to take contracts during the offseason (eg like ISL)? Do you guy worry give MLS two months unchallenged for attention will hurt the leagues reach?

You're right that it probably isn't ideal, but it probably is better than having flat attendance your first 4 matches because of temperature. 

9 hours ago, matty said:

6 hours ago, ted said:

Nope. I see no realistic alternative.

Shrug, as far as i'm concerned, we're the opinion leaders on the subject.

If we talk about it in a negative way, people will see it as a negative.  If we figure out a positive way to spin it I don't see why I should be an issue.  You can't hate a startup for being a startup.

10 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I'm having a slight CPL panic monument.

I just tuned in Ottawa's home opener against TFC2 and it looks like no one is at the game. All I see is empty seats. Maybe most people are sitting on the side with the cameras? 

Looks terrible!

From what I've typically seen of Ottawa games, the crowd is on the same side as the camera.  Agree that it looks terrible.

Though not nearly as terrible as that lonely little supporters bleacher behind the one net.

1 hour ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I'm having a slight CPL panic monument.

I just tuned in Ottawa's home opener against TFC2 and it looks like no one is at the game. All I see is empty seats. Maybe most people are sitting on the side with the cameras? 

Looks terrible!

This is what you will get by playing in these big stadiums like the one in Ottawa and the one in Hamilton, there was actually over 6000 people there today but the massive stadium sucked out any atmosphere there was. Imagine 6000 in a nice small pop up stadium or a Lamport type stadium, this is what this new league should be looking at not 25000 seats stadiums with 5 to 6000 people in them.

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Shows that people in at least one of the target markets will show up in numbers for MLS B teams on the one hand, but if you want to see what people are concerned about where atmosphere is concerned check out what the live stream looked like:

it's down from 7023 for last year's opening match against miami.

i don't think anyone should take this as proof of anything. but we should continue to watch the ottawa numbers.

fury are also claiming otherwise about atmosphere but that's expected

9 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Shows that people in at least one of the target markets will show up in numbers for MLS B teams on the one hand, but if you want to see what people are concerned about where atmosphere is concerned check out what the live stream looked like:

Shows that people in at least one of the target markets will show up in numbers for a "minor pro league" on the one hand, but if you want to see what people are concerned about where atmosphere against an MLS B team is concerned check out what the live stream looked like:

3 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

...but if you want to see what people are concerned about where atmosphere against an MLS B team is concerned check out what the live stream looked like:

How do you think it differed from any other Ottawa Fury game? The crowd was on the high end for a Fury game but that still means that about three-quarters of the seats are empty and that looks really bad on television when combined with a field turf playing surface that is obviously really meant for another sport given the two stand format and bizarre looking bleachers supporter section behind one goal that looks nothing like what you normally see from overseas in pro soccer. This sort of approach didn't work during the original CSL or in the early years of MLS. Pop-ups are the better way to go.

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

How do you think it differed from any other Ottawa Fury game? The crowd was on the high end for a Fury game but that still means that about three-quarters of the seats are empty and that looks really bad on television when combined with a field turf playing surface that is obviously really meant for another sport given the two stand format and bizarre looking bleachers supporter section behind one goal that looks nothing like what you normally see from overseas in pro soccer. This sort of approach didn't work during the original CSL or in the early years of MLS. Pop-ups are the better way to go.

Quack.

It absolutely screams minor league when you can't even fill the lower bowl of a two tier stadium but the stated reason for why they don't want MLS B teams involved is that they don't want to appear minor league, which seems like a bit of a paradox given they actually do appear to expect to have crowds in the 6,000 - 8,000 range similar to what the Fury vs TFC II had. The whole approach that is envisaged by the Ticats is fundamentally flawed unless they are able to draw FC Cincinnatti level crowds and make their product appear reasonably like the big time, because people are now very much used to seeing 20,000+ at TFC, Impact and Whitecaps games as being the norm for the D1 level in Canada.

Archived