Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you know if a pro-rel system is possible? I hope it won't be franchise so we can have pro-rel system in the future

Do you know if having an academy is mandatory in the CPL?

I think, if we can have a second division with the reserve teams of the 1st division teams+reserve teams of nasl and mls teams that stay in these leagues (Vancouver, Toronto, Edmonton, Montreal) and some other teams

So we can get this structure:
1st Division (managed by CSA) 8 teams

2nd division (managed by CSA) 12-16 teams (in 2 conferences)

3rd division (managed by Provincial federation) LO1, PLSQ, PCSL, etc

4th and lower (managed by provincial and regional associations) AAA, AA, A, etc.

What do you think about that?

4 hours ago, mtlsab said:

Do you know if a pro-rel system is possible? I hope it won't be franchise so we can have pro-rel system in the future

Do you know if having an academy is mandatory in the CPL?

I think, if we can have a second division with the reserve teams of the 1st division teams+reserve teams of nasl and mls teams that stay in these leagues (Vancouver, Toronto, Edmonton, Montreal) and some other teams

So we can get this structure:
1st Division (managed by CSA) 8 teams

2nd division (managed by CSA) 12-16 teams (in 2 conferences)

3rd division (managed by Provincial federation) LO1, PLSQ, PCSL, etc

4th and lower (managed by provincial and regional associations) AAA, AA, A, etc.

What do you think about that?

I would love pro/rel but start listing the communities that would house the teams you've listed above and I think you will quickly run into a problem as Lethbridge and Kenora will probably not be able to draw enough to support a 2nd division team. 

There isn't more than a handful of investors interested and we don't have more than 20 markets that could support a national league to make pro-rel even necessary.  I doubt there will ever be a D2, it's going to be CPL/MLS and our D3 development leagues.

If at some future point we can have a 8-10 team CPL plus our 3 MLS teams and a D3 league in Quebec, Ontario, Western Canada with maybe 40 teams then our pyramid will be full a and we will be brimming with quality soccer talent.

Good discussion on the subject. The part that concerns me is near the beginning where they said "it appears nobody approached the existing teams". I hope that is wrong. As they also stated cooperation works better in north American sports than confrontation. They also raised the point of can you really call it a Canadian league if the 3 big cities (and media markets) are not included.

Thanks for the link.

I wasn't too happy with the actual podcast. It gave me the impression that:

- Schaad tried to make it look like they discussing pro and cons was really against the idea.

- the discussion in regards to "What about the USL teams...."well let's face it they are farm teams. I won't cry if VWFC2 looses customers to a New Vancouver Team in the CPL.

- they seemed focused on the crowds etc....ok i Don't think anyone expects 20k off the start. A "modest" 7-8k with say an increase of 5-8% in tickets membership per year would be a pipe dream for most owners.

- there arent going to be any stars....etc. not sure if "most" people realised it that no one is trying to compete with MLS. Maybe in 15yrs time....but not now. 

Anyway I'll let others listen to the podcast as I need to listen to it again probably myself.

1 minute ago, lazlo_80 said:

Before I listen, do they have any new info, or is it just opinions on what they've heard?

Just their opinions and a lot of batting ideas around as to how it could work, obstacles etc. I thought it was a good discussion. They didn't gloss over the difficulties but came up with some interesting ideas.

18 hours ago, Jason said:

I think a salary cap is inevitable.  The CFL owners are familiar with a salary cap, and the MLS has one too.  I think the owners are already putting in big money to get this off the ground and they will want some cost certainty when it comes to salary expenses.  I would love it if it was a luxury tax which would allow a big spender to go for it but would have to pay to do so.  

Jason

I agree with the reasoning, here, CFL has a cap, they try to keep to it strictly, and it is pretty low in fact. But it has been a big factor in making the CFL work, the CFL is a fairly low salary league that has a lot of prestige in CAnada. This is a model and a principle I think CFL owners will appreciate, and that may be one of their foregone virtues in setting this up.

1 hour ago, lazlo_80 said:

Before I listen, do they have any new info, or is it just opinions on what they've heard?

The only new piece of info (at least I don't recall hearing it anywhere else) is that a TSN exec discussed the idea, according to Shaad, in 2013. It's only briefly mentioned, but it's relieving in a way, as that gives more weight to the idea that TSN might be on board as a broadcaster.

Otherwise it was mostly discussion. There were a few opinions I don't really agree with, but I thought their general sentiment was spot on. The clubs need to be VERY locally involved, and what I have been hearing so far is that there are major investors with very little on-the-ground discussion. I think that's a grave mistake, especially in smaller markets.

I hope there is a Canadian Premier League team in (Metro) Vancouver. I would be more inclined to support a CPL team with predominately Canadian players than the Whitecaps. Doesn't mean I wouldn't support the MLS team as well, but for me the order would be:

#1) Vancouver CPL team

#2) Vancouver Whitecaps

Also, should be a fun derby match for during the V's Cup at least!!

29 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

The only new piece of info (at least I don't recall hearing it anywhere else) is that a TSN exec discussed the idea, according to Shaad, in 2013. It's only briefly mentioned, but it's relieving in a way, as that gives more weight to the idea that TSN might be on board as a broadcaster.

Otherwise it was mostly discussion. There were a few opinions I don't really agree with, but I thought their general sentiment was spot on. The clubs need to be VERY locally involved, and what I have been hearing so far is that there are major investors with very little on-the-ground discussion. I think that's a grave mistake, especially in smaller markets.

Just listened to the first half. Very good so far.

48 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I hope there is a Canadian Premier League team in (Metro) Vancouver. I would be more inclined to support a CPL team with predominately Canadian players than the Whitecaps. Doesn't mean I wouldn't support the MLS team as well, but for me the order would be:

#1) Vancouver CPL team

#2) Vancouver Whitecaps

Also, should be a fun derby match for during the V's Cup at least!!

I know there are people who feel the same way about TFC and a Hamilton team, and many people who that position is inverted. Really do hope a derby between Hamilton and TFC happens.

I can already hear the Argos Suck chants, and yes...Hamiltonian's will chant Argos suck without actually playing the Argos. I've been a part of that once vs the Blue Bombers and once at the Bulldogs game vs the Marlies.

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

I listened this morning as well. I think they brought up some excellent points, minus their belief that the Canadian USL clubs should be in this new league. I just simply can't agree with that point.

Yes I would agree that the idea to bring the USL teams into the league is a non starter in my opinion. However, I can see how many of their points apply so well in Regina specifically, and I suspect elsewhere too. In addition, the point that it's not necessary to compete to destroy other clubs (MLS/NASL) is spot on IMHO. 

17 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

I would love pro/rel but start listing the communities that would house the teams you've listed above and I think you will quickly run into a problem as Lethbridge and Kenora will probably not be able to draw enough to support a 2nd division team. 

So, in a positive perspective, after a few years, if the league works, we can bring back the 3 MLS teams and FC Edmonton. so we would me able to have 10 teams en 1st div and 16-24 teams (including the reserve teams of the 1st division) in the 2nd division. 
So there are a few markets that we can have in the 1st and 2nd divisions in a long term:

2 teams in Montreal area (excluding the reserve teams), 2 teams in Toronto area (excluding the reserve teams), 2 teams in Vancouver area (excluding the reserve teams), Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Ottawa, Québec, Sherbrooke, Trois-Rivières, Halifax, Charlottetown, Moncton, Fredericton, St-John

Fair enough?

50 minutes ago, mtlsab said:

So, in a positive perspective, after a few years, if the league works, we can bring back the 3 MLS teams and FC Edmonton. so we would me able to have 10 teams en 1st div and 16-24 teams (including the reserve teams of the 1st division) in the 2nd division. 
So there are a few markets that we can have in the 1st and 2nd divisions in a long term:

2 teams in Montreal area (excluding the reserve teams), 2 teams in Toronto area (excluding the reserve teams), 2 teams in Vancouver area (excluding the reserve teams), Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Ottawa, Québec, Sherbrooke, Trois-Rivières, Halifax, Charlottetown, Moncton, Fredericton, St-John

Fair enough?

Yes perhaps. I've done the exact same thought experiment. But I had Kitchener, London, Windsor, and Kingston as possibilities. 

Having 8-10 solidly established teams would be great. Expanding to many of the communities listed by both of us would really be contingent on the league taking off in a big way. I'd loooove it to happen, don't get me wrong. Not sure I'd bet on it though. 

But hey. Dare to dream, right?

1 hour ago, mtlsab said:

Fair enough?

I seriously doubt any MLS teams would ever join the CPL, even if it were successful, too wishful thinking.  Bobby L has been on record that he's for the Caps to be in MLS.  I'm sure Saputo and MLSE are in agreement too, due to the league's financial strength. longetivity, populariy and now having higher calibre superstars.  The CPL will never match MLS's finances.  Think of the CPL more like the CFL vs NFL scenario, with the NFL having more revenue to attract high class superstars.  The USL teams on the other hand, would be game to join the CPL as a first or second division team   Regarding pro/rel, I use to want it, but I can see, why it'll never work or be promoted in North America.  Sports are run differently here then the rest of the world.

2 hours ago, nolbertos said:

I seriously doubt any MLS teams would ever join the CPL, even if it were successful, too wishful thinking.  Bobby L has been on record that he's for the Caps to be in MLS.  I'm sure Saputo and MLSE are in agreement too, due to the league's financial strength. longetivity, populariy and now having higher calibre superstars.  The CPL will never match MLS's finances.  Think of the CPL more like the CFL vs NFL scenario, with the NFL having more revenue to attract high class superstars.  The USL teams on the other hand, would be game to join the CPL as a first or second division team   Regarding pro/rel, I use to want it, but I can see, why it'll never work or be promoted in North America.  Sports are run differently here then the rest of the world.

The CSA can force them to join the CPL I think

3 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

Yes perhaps. I've done the exact same thought experiment. But I had Kitchener, London, Windsor, and Kingston as possibilities. 

Having 8-10 solidly established teams would be great. Expanding to many of the communities listed by both of us would really be contingent on the league taking off in a big way. I'd loooove it to happen, don't get me wrong. Not sure I'd bet on it though. 

But hey. Dare to dream, right?

Yeah I put more Quebec cities since that the cities I know better. 
Of course that's a dream and it can't happen in the first years but we can reach it after 5-10 years. We have to keep in mind that we need our soccer pyramid to have the most players playing in it

7 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

I've heard that in the Hamilton market they already have someone hired who's connected to the existing Hamilton soccer scene to help bridge that gap between the potential CPL team and the community teams which is a start.

I think overall their discussion about getting supporters involved was bang on. I'm always curious though when that sort of thing is discussed just how involved they mean. At some point certain decisions need to be made with the head rather than the heart.

Archived