Canadian Premier League

ted

4 hours ago, grande said:

Here's how I'd do it (assuming 3MLS + 6CPL + 1NASL, seeded in that order):

Round 1 (Play in / qualification); Preferably home & away, top team hosts if not:
Match 1: 1NASL vs 4CPL
Match 2: 5CPL vs 6CPL

Round 2: Single elimination bracket, home & away, starting with:
MLS1 vs Winner Match 1
MLS2 vs Winner Match 2
MLS3 vs CPL3
CPL1 vs CPL2

This means each team has to play a maximum of eight games (seven if the first round isn't home & away).

And honestly, if the MLS teams don't want to play an extra few games, then I guess they don't get to qualify for the CCL.

Prediction (2 game series each)

MLS 1 vs. CPL 5
MLS 2 vs. CPL 4
MLS 3 vs. CPL 3
CPL 1 vs. CPL 2

CPL teams 6-8 don't qualify and CSA will force the Eddies out until they join

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Oranje said:

I feel like they should have a minimum salary around 5-10% higher than what MLS is offering, which would make it more desirable to the young Canadians sitting on an MLS bench. The wages for a team will not be outlandish because you're not dealing with any DP salary or players being there only for the money. Average of $62.5K, they'd only have to bump it up a little to get the min at $66K (MLS +5%)

MLS pays in American dollars so that salary would have be around $85k in your scheme at this moment.

3 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

MLS pays in American dollars so that salary would have be around $85k in your scheme at this moment.

Even the Canadian MLS teams? I thought I read somewhere that Vaney was getting paid in CAD. If that were the case, I doubt a TFC II player is getting USD... I get what you mean though with a young Canadian on an American team, however, with that messed up domestics rule, it is a far less common case.

I'm surprised at the lack of coverage of this on TSN and Sportsnet websites (other than the odd tweet from someone working there) since the Spectator put it out there.  Guessing TSN didn't want to publicize it until it's the big splashy launch.  Sportsnet probably doesn't feel the need to acknowledge it since they have nothing to do with it.

3 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I'm surprised at the lack of coverage of this on TSN and Sportsnet websites (other than the odd tweet from someone working there) since the Spectator put it out there.  Guessing TSN didn't want to publicize it until it's the big splashy launch.  Sportsnet probably doesn't feel the need to acknowledge it since they have nothing to do with it.

I don't think too much can be said until they firm up details because at this point there are more questions than answers, I'm just pleased that some progress is being made!

1 hour ago, Benjamin Massey said:

I followed this fairly closely at the time. Like I said to DN, there was a definite NIMBY element, and definitely members of the baseball community worried about getting frozen out. But they seemed like they were being managed, so to speak, and public support was reasonably strong, until the bill got put before the New Westminster council and they got an estimate of $11.4 million in public money for this MLS reserve team. That killed it stone dead. There had been absolutely no estimate of the costs before that meeting, and the council was moving forward, then they saw it would be eight digits and that was the end.

11 Million is a big number when talking to a small community like New West.  No question about that.  I think the Caps would have drawn pretty good there with their USL team so it was unfortunate how it all played out.   I go to the USL games and they are full of crap saying they are averaging 1500 a game.  Location is really important for this and TBird is just not there.

It is a lot of commitment to ask for from a community when it is a reserve team that could be pulled at any time.  Perhaps if an owner approached them with the willingness to pay much of that cost there may be a different answer.  I don't think anyone wants to put their city in the situation Abbotsford is in; paying for a nice facility , making a bad deal just to get a tenant, and then the team leaves and they are stuck holding the bag.

I am very intrigued how this new league will play out.  Thanks everyone for all the news and updates.

12 minutes ago, Rheo said:

To be fair to TSN, there isn't a whole lot of substantial news to report.  And Sportsnet wouldn't give a rip anyways as they are desperately trying to make this NHL deal financially viable.  They overpaid to the extreme in order to lock out TSN for a decade and to the detriment of any other sports properties with Sportsnet.

9 minutes ago, amanfromvancouver said:

To be fair to TSN, there isn't a whole lot of substantial news to report.  And Sportsnet wouldn't give a rip anyways as they are desperately trying to make this NHL deal financially viable.  They overpaid to the extreme in order to lock out TSN for a decade and to the detriment of any other sports properties with Sportsnet.

23 minutes ago, Rheo said:

CBC have reported on it http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/hamilton-will-get-a-pro-soccer-team-by-2018-insider-says-1.3431962

4 hours ago, Oranje said:

I feel like they should have a minimum salary around 5-10% higher than what MLS is offering, which would make it more desirable to the young Canadians sitting on an MLS bench. The wages for a team will not be outlandish because you're not dealing with any DP salary or players being there only for the money. Average of $62.5K, they'd only have to bump it up a little to get the min at $66K (MLS +5%)

I mostly agree with the concept, but that might be a bit too much for a new league to pay off the start.  

I think the new league should make sure that they pay significantly more than the USL MLS reserve teams.  I like the idea of giving a young Cdn prospect a tough decision - join a Cdn MLS reserve side to get your foot in the door with MLS, or take more money and play in the CPL.  Having more options that so the player can choose the best fit for them should help with development, and if there is competition for players teams will have to step up and offer good training and an opportunity to play.  

Jason

2 minutes ago, amanfromvancouver said:

I just meant that it's the first public acknowledgement of it from someone involved ownership wise and he did say some interesting details about the league.  Vague but still important and news worthy in my opinion.  Nothing to lead a newscast or web page with but worth mentioning.

15 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

One thing is for sure- the V-Cup would be a major tournament with 10 teams including every major media market in Canada.  I don't know how you organize a 10 team tourney without a group stage and the MLS teams wouldn't want to commit to a potential 12 game tournament that a group stage would require.

Knock out like everywhere else in the world. Probably home and away to ensure teams get a visit from an MLS side, which is good for their gate (how has this gone, crowds in Ottawa or Edmonton for the MLS teams?).

I would simply throw all teams after MLS into eliminations to get to 5 teams, adding them to the 3 MLS and doing quarter finals home and away from then on. For an MLS team that is only 2 more matches overall maximum.

Edmonton has had MLS for several years... kinda hit and miss to be honest. Montreal was a small crowd, but Vancouver and Toronto drew well. Last year (with the delayed game) was crazy good for FCEd vs Vancouver.

Ottawa's never hosted a MLS club, but New York draws well, so I presume the MLS would as well.

A minimum salary of $62.5K can only be done if the payroll is like $2.5-3M per team.  If you're looking at a $1.5M payroll, here's a general breakdown.  If you're bringing in a couple good foreign players and a Canadian national, that $1.5M goes away real quick...

XS2PJVo.png

36 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I just meant that it's the first public acknowledgement of it from someone involved ownership wise and he did say some interesting details about the league.  Vague but still important and news worthy in my opinion.  Nothing to lead a newscast or web page with but worth mentioning.

I agree, I was just thinking of it from how a TSN person may think; they may not find it worth too much attention

I am sure it will get a lot more coverage when firmer details are announced.  Professional soccer in Canada is heading into it's best era ever.

42 minutes ago, theaub said:

A minimum salary of $62.5K can only be done if the payroll is like $2.5-3M per team.  If you're looking at a $1.5M payroll, here's a general breakdown.  If you're bringing in a couple good foreign players and a Canadian national, that $1.5M goes away real quick...

XS2PJVo.png

Woh, your breakdown shows even a modest bump on the bottom level will blow up the cap. I hope I am wrong, but there should never be a CMNT player in the CPL. It's going to be a development league for the first decade and if anything, so it will be perfect for players with CMNT-fringe skilled players and below.

1 minute ago, Oranje said:

Woh, your breakdown shows even a modest bump on the bottom level will blow up the cap. I hope I am wrong, but there should never be a CMNT player in the CPL. It's going to be a development league for the first decade and if anything, so it will be perfect for players with CMNT-fringe skilled players and below.

I think its fair to assume that certain older guys who have featured with the NT and now have limited club situations (JDG, Hume, Ledgerwood, Bernier etc) will hopefully come play in this league.

In an optimal, perfect world, Canada makes the hex, the team overall gets some more national coverage and the face of this league becomes our best player who just will happen to be a 34 year old with an expired contract in 2017...might need a bit of a cap exemption for that though haha

1 hour ago, theaub said:

XS2PJVo.png

I think this is right about correct except the min salary is maybe $40k and the top end guy is making about $150k, not $200k.

A team with a salary structure like that is going to be competing for players at the low end of the MLS spectrum.  Low end MLS guys make $60k and you see a lot of players in the 80-150k range.  In effect it's a low to mid level MLS salary structure, excluding the designated players.  That's a workable salary structure and to be honest the majority of our MLS players are making in that range.  Really only De Jong, Vitoria and Johnson made more than what you could get from a CPL salary structure.  I'd say the vast majority of our European players could fit in there too.

For reference selected MLS players last year made:

Akindele $87k

De Jong $190k

Bekker $88k

Bernier $135k

JGL $64k

Jackson-Hamel $60k

Lefevre $60k

Ouimette $60k

Larin $167k

Morgan $112k

Osorio $152k

Adekube $65k

Teibert $167k

52 minutes ago, Oranje said:

Probably 75% of our total player pool would fit into this structure.  There's only half a dozen players probably are higher and those guys are either MLS starters or have great options in Europe.  In the meantime it would be the place to foster the growth of our program and give quality and essential players a place to play outside of Unattached FC.

1 hour ago, theaub said:

I think its fair to assume that certain older guys who have featured with the NT and now have limited club situations (JDG, Hume, Ledgerwood, Bernier etc) will hopefully come play in this league.

In an optimal, perfect world, Canada makes the hex, the team overall gets some more national coverage and the face of this league becomes our best player who just will happen to be a 34 year old with an expired contract in 2017...might need a bit of a cap exemption for that though haha

I'd almost have an issue even with them playing in CPL (Ledgerwood aside) because why would a 35 year-old JDG want to play in the CPL. @baulderdash77 mentioned having the option outside Unattached FC makes sense until the 32+ yr CMNT members being phased out come into the fold. I wouldn't want roster spots being taken from a young up-and-comer so that Bernier or JDG can play a final season.

FUN TIME!!!! :D:D:lol:<_<

What Canadian Men's National Team players do you think will be in the League come opening day!?!?!?!?!

My Predictions (NON-Fury/Eddie players): Ashtone Morgan, Kyle Bekker, Tesho Akindele, Andre Hainault, Tosaint Ricketts, Randy Edwini-Bonsu, Jamar Dixon, Adam Straith, Caleb Clarke, Kenny Stamatopoulos, Dejan Jakovic, Manny Aporicio

Bonus: Dwayne De Rosario will be a coach

So I just pulled the Canadians Abroad sheet.  I figure out of our total player pool of 313 players (all levels, all leagues, including dubious Canadians) there's only about 18 players in total who clearly would be higher than the salary structure offered by the CPL.  That is to say 95% of our player pool would probably be at least in the $150k range or less (based on level of play).

There may be a handful that are in a lower level, but most of our players are fairly average players in marginal leagues.  There's not a lot of stars.

Another thing to keep in mind is that we have 882 players in CIS and 128 players in NCAA.

The league has to be filled with 108 Canadian players (75% of 24 players x 6 teams).  The CPL is going to draw in a big chunk of our abroad talent plus 250 graduating college players per year.  The 50-55 or so minimum salary spots @$40k will be filled with 20-23 year old players I'm sure.  However those 50-55 spots that are going to be making $60-$150k is going to have a lot of competition from players as even our younger MLS players would be better off playing CPL than USL.

It's fair to say that there's going to be a large part of our CMNT player pool including regular players in the CPL.

Archived