Canadian Premier League

ted

1 hour ago, lazlo_80 said:

I've heard that in the Hamilton market they already have someone hired who's connected to the existing Hamilton soccer scene to help bridge that gap between the potential CPL team and the community teams which is a start.

I think overall their discussion about getting supporters involved was bang on. I'm always curious though when that sort of thing is discussed just how involved they mean. At some point certain decisions need to be made with the head rather than the heart.

I hadn't heard that about Hamilton. If that's true, it's good news. 

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In regards to Ottawa and Edmonton being in the league. I think all of us will agree it's pretty much a must (Vancouver, TO & Mtl is a different ball game all together). Correct approach would be to ask politely and maybe offer something (not sure what) to compensate for the switch. That's the carrot approach. The Stick...well not sure what the CSA can do...but at the same time I think sponsors(until now for Edmonton lack of after Sears Finacial) might force the hands of owners by asking them which league they part of (NASL no real Canadian coverage) or say CPL with possible TSN coverage (who knows maybe CFL owners will throw in the league coverage for free the first few year with CFL in same package).

On a separate matter how long was it before the Ottawa Red Black actually started playing and the franchise announcement? 2yrs? That's a good amount of time to get branding out etc. 18 months might be tight....

55 minutes ago, mtlsab said:

The CSA can force them to join the CPL I think

It wouldn'f be in anybody's interest and it would be messy lawsuit and I doubt the CSA has the power to go against the MLS clubs.  It'll remain like this for the foreseeable future.  Saputo, Kerfoot and MLSE invested in the 20-30 million US range per club to get into MLS.  I doubt the CPL would be able to compensate them.  Also, the Caps have a deep history in Northwest soccer scene against Seattle and Portland.  No Canadian club will ever have as much historical rivalry like them.  CPL will co-exist with MLS.

On 6 February, 2016 at 10:49 AM, 1996 said:

It is legit been  around the block and back many times with Canadian soccer we go way back way way back. The reason I brought up that Canadian basketball league is mainly for the fact that the reason for that league coming about is for almost a lot of the reasons this new soccer league is trying to get off the ground. In basketball Canada is one of the few countries in the world without a pro league so that league was created, just like soccer. Moreover, the basketball league was created to get more Canadians playing at a pro level to help in developing to maybe a bigger stage or even just to the national team just like soccer, therefore I found the need to bring this basketball league up in comparison to this proposed soccer league. The thing is that I rarely heard anything about this basketball league in a country where basketball is pretty popular just like soccer to a certain extent is popular in Canada, Therefore, that is why I posted what I did in terms of making a splash and so on. I'm not bashing this proposed league just trying to start discussion on maybe why we think this new league will maybe do better than that basketball league and maybe get more attention and maybe be  better for Canadian soccer than that basketball league was or is for basketball in Canada.

We don't even have our own hockey league.  I really, really hope this works, but I'm not very confident there'll be enough bums in seats.

6 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

We don't even have our own hockey league.  I really, really hope this works, but I'm not very confident there'll be enough bums in seats.

Yes we do, the CHL is the best developmental league in the world and IMO the same model we should be following for a league in football.  Regional leagues with a limit on overage players per team, except in our case let the overage players be any age and increase it to ~7, while the rest of rosters should be u23.  

17 hours ago, shermanator said:

I listened this morning as well. I think they brought up some excellent points, minus their belief that the Canadian USL clubs should be in this new league. I just simply can't agree with that point.

Exactly, why would anyone stop going to see MLS team to go see USL team (MTL-TOR-VANC) that nobody goes to now (& it's free) even if they are in CPL. There has to be a completely different team that shows it's a pro team and not a farm of the MLS team.

4 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Exactly, why would anyone stop going to see MLS team to go see USL team (MTL-TOR-VANC) that nobody goes to now (& it's free) even if they are in CPL. There has to be a completely different team that shows it's a pro team and not a farm of the MLS team.

VWFC2 you actually Pay. They have located the team on UBC grounds. They actually draw a descent amount per game.

1 hour ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Not sure if this was answered already, but have there been any supporters groups set up from any of the potential markets than hamilton?

Kind of hard to do when they have no list of cities that will participate.

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

Maybe I should of said almost free.

15 euros a game is not "almost" free. 126 bucks for a season of 15 games in a package. Just admit you were wrong about both the cost and the attendance, which was considerable. 

Of course, if you are wrong about the facts that pretty well screws up the argument, doesn't it?

FACT is, Vancouver can sustain another team if it is interesting enough. If VWII can get a couple thousand out in a "hard" weekend location (UBC), then a second division team from a different organization in a better location (Swangard, let's say), should be able to get a few more thousand if done right.

12 hours ago, nolbertos said:

It wouldn'f be in anybody's interest and it would be messy lawsuit and I doubt the CSA has the power to go against the MLS clubs.  It'll remain like this for the foreseeable future.  Saputo, Kerfoot and MLSE invested in the 20-30 million US range per club to get into MLS.  I doubt the CPL would be able to compensate them.  Also, the Caps have a deep history in Northwest soccer scene against Seattle and Portland.  No Canadian club will ever have as much historical rivalry like them.  CPL will co-exist with MLS.

When CHivas USA wanted to quit MLS, they bought the team back to MLS, so the Canadian teams can do it, but they have to do it soon since the MLS franchises are still on demand

3 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Not sure if this was answered already, but have there been any supporters groups set up from any of the potential markets than hamilton?

Yes. The Regina group is formed. It's me, Jordan, and Justin. And we've already picked a name. It's a spin on one of Regina's historical nicknames 'Pile o' Bones' ... you can figure it out.

And on both points above, I'm completely kidding. But if there is a team announced, guaranteed we will be forming a supporters group.

1 minute ago, rob.notenboom said:

Yes. The Regina group is formed. It's me, Jordan, and Justin. And we've already picked a name. It's a spin on one of Regina's historical nicknames 'Pile o' Bones' ... you can figure it out.

And on both points above, I'm completely kidding. But if there is a team announced, guaranteed we will be forming a supporters group.

lol damn you, got my hopes so high and then proceeded to immediately dash them

1 hour ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

lol damn you, got my hopes so high and then proceeded to immediately dash them

Sorry. I couldn't resist the joke. 

Seriously though, I am absolutely committed to starting a supporters group in Regina if there is a team. It's a little difficult to get any traction without the team announcement. Currently there are 5 or 6 hard-core Voyageurs and a couple of dozen of people that are involved from time to time that I think would get more involved if we got a pro team. I'm sure it would bring a lot of people out that we simply don't know as well. 

Edit: Of course, people from other parts of SK would be welcome, especially Saskatoon as there are quite a few supporters there, if and when we get a team.

1 hour ago, TRM said:

You should call it the "Regina Gopher Chokers"   :)

We are still working on a name for Calgary if we get a team. Perhaps you could help us out with some suggestions?

Any chance you guys would want to keep the Footsoldiers and simply support both clubs? I think it's a great name, and the organic nature of its genesis is pretty cool. 

21 minutes ago, TRM said:

It would depend if it is Foothills that goes up a level. I'm thinking "Calgary BBs" (Boom & Bust) as a morbid sense of humour approach but I doubt that will catch on.

I was hoping they would use foothills as the name in CPL and have the club transfer over or something.  But I don't really know the calgary scene very well and how realistic that is.  There is a nice history there though that would be nice to carry on with.

37 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Sorry. I couldn't resist the joke. 

Seriously though, I am absolutely committed to starting a supporters group in Regina if there is a team. It's a little difficult to get any traction without the team announcement. Currently there are 5 or 6 hard-core Voyageurs and a couple of dozen of people that are involved from time to time that I think would get more involved if we got a pro team. I'm sure it would bring a lot of people out that we simply don't know as well. 

Edit: Of course, people from other parts of SK would be welcome, especially Saskatoon as there are quite a few supporters there, if and when we get a team.

Fair enough though.  I guess I'm just getting ahead of myself, but I'm sure we will hear what the other cities are soon enough.  

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

15 euros a game is not "almost" free. 126 bucks for a season of 15 games in a package. Just admit you were wrong about both the cost and the attendance, which was considerable. 

Of course, if you are wrong about the facts that pretty well screws up the argument, doesn't it?

FACT is, Vancouver can sustain another team if it is interesting enough. If VWII can get a couple thousand out in a "hard" weekend location (UBC), then a second division team from a different organization in a better location (Swangard, let's say), should be able to get a few more thousand if done right.

You're right I didn't know price and attendance of Van.USL team but my point was USL teams of MLS can't be the team to represent CPL team of MLS teams.I'm sure Vanc  & TO can support 2 teams & hopefully Mtl too(I've already posted that I'm Impact double STH from day one going back to Manic & Supra days & will be switching to CPL as soon as we have a team here in Mtl) as long as it's done right, especially here in Mtl where I think it would be the hardest of the 3 MLS teams to succeed in CPL.TKS for the info of Whitecaps2. Go Canada go.

Having listened to the Footy Soliders podcast I couldn't agree more with fan engagement side of things. They need to get on this ASAP.

I was also watching Copa 90 and they talked about some of the struggles of fans in Australia. If you talk to people like those in the RBB they really felt the FFA didn't have their back. It ended up being a prolonged battle and eventually led to a legal contract.

I believe we can do better in Canada and we should show that. Like the Footy Soldiers, it would be great if we could really show the MLS up by having the CSA more approachable as well as the Leagues governance bodies. There are a alot of disenfranchised American soccer supporters that having a unique fan led league could capture.

Archived