Canadian Premier League

ted

On 2/4/2016 at 4:40 AM, ktf said:

I would be pleasantly surprised and consider it unlikely for many reasons, but Victoria is not an out of question option, if Vancouver isn't possible. Kelowna as well. 

Victoria has a nice climate for football that usually lends well to attendance. It also has a history of being a viable option for a minor professional baseball team in BC. There was that one all Canadian baseball league that lasted a year and they were by far the most successful. 

I can hope. 

If Kelowna were truly an option I think I'd pull the trigger and move there.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that Canadian Pro basketball league still around because I think this league will make as much as a splash as that league I mean I never hear anyone talking about it and has it produced any Canadian players? Hopefully I'm wrong but just thought I would throw that league as a comparison I don't know.

1 minute ago, 1996 said:

Is that Canadian Pro basketball league still around because I think this league will make as much as a splash as that league I mean I never hear anyone talking about it and has it produced any Canadian players? Hopefully I'm wrong but just thought I would throw that league as a comparison I don't know.

Can I just ask...

you admit "I don't know" at the end, but then you say "i think this league will make as much as a splash as that league"

so if it's a given you don't know and this comment isn't based on fact...did you just feel the need to poop on a project before it even starts or was there some other motivation for this post that I'm missing?

Other people have questions about the league and legitimate concerns, and I completely respect that, in fact I've enjoyed some debates with people with such comments. But sometimes it's hard to go on to a supporters board and see a post, which at first blush, essentially looks like trolling, again, on a supporters board for canadian soccer.

Please feel free to enlighten me if I'm missing something, but what was your intent with this? heck if you want to pour cold water on the project there's a ton of failed leagues you can point to that would be even better comparisons then basketball. I'll even help you...how about NASL 1.0 or canadian soccer leagues of the past? Or failed indoor leagues? I could go on. There's a ton of leagues you can point to and say "I think it will make as much of a splash as that". cool. But again, what was your intent with this, if as you stated in your post,  you don't know?

Please, others who have legit concerns, don't take this as me saying anything but positivity should be banned, I seriously do enjoy the back and forth. But posts like this...seriously, what was the purpose of this? Besides to an illicit a response like the one I gave you? If so, job well done.

It is legit been  around the block and back many times with Canadian soccer we go way back way way back. The reason I brought up that Canadian basketball league is mainly for the fact that the reason for that league coming about is for almost a lot of the reasons this new soccer league is trying to get off the ground. In basketball Canada is one of the few countries in the world without a pro league so that league was created, just like soccer. Moreover, the basketball league was created to get more Canadians playing at a pro level to help in developing to maybe a bigger stage or even just to the national team just like soccer, therefore I found the need to bring this basketball league up in comparison to this proposed soccer league. The thing is that I rarely heard anything about this basketball league in a country where basketball is pretty popular just like soccer to a certain extent is popular in Canada, Therefore, that is why I posted what I did in terms of making a splash and so on. I'm not bashing this proposed league just trying to start discussion on maybe why we think this new league will maybe do better than that basketball league and maybe get more attention and maybe be  better for Canadian soccer than that basketball league was or is for basketball in Canada.

1 minute ago, 1996 said:

It is legit been  around the block and back many times with Canadian soccer we go way back way way back. The reason I brought up that Canadian basketball league is mainly for the fact that the reason for that league coming about is for almost a lot of the reasons this new soccer league is trying to get off the ground. In basketball Canada is one of the few countries in the world without a pro league so that league was created, just like soccer. Moreover, the basketball league was created to get more Canadians playing at a pro level to help in developing to maybe a bigger stage or even just to the national team just like soccer, therefore I found the need to bring this basketball league up in comparison to this proposed soccer league. The thing is that I rarely heard anything about this basketball league in a country where basketball is pretty popular just like soccer to a certain extent is popular in Canada, Therefore, that is why I posted what I did in terms of making a splash and so on. I'm not bashing this proposed league just trying to start discussion on maybe why we think this new league will maybe do better than that basketball league and maybe get more attention and maybe be  better for Canadian soccer than that basketball league was or is for basketball in Canada.

IF that's the case, I apologise if I came off too agressive, but you're sort of comparing apples to oranges.

Lets look at the development of our best basketball player compared to our best soccer player.

Andrew Wiggins went to high school in Toronto, joined an AAU team where he quickly got noticed by top level colleges played in all star games, went to an elite college and got drafted in the NBA

Atiba Hutchinson played on the York Region Shooters, than the toronto Lynx, where there he was scouted by European teams that helped him get a trial in scandinavian teams, before working his way up to one of the top scandinavian teams, then going to PSV and then to Turkey.

Long story short, the developmental process for a talented basketball player is far further along than the one for soccer. If Atiba hadn't had a local Canadian team to play with in the Lynx would've he ever played soccer beyond his early 20s? Now the thinking is that more teams, in more areas mean more chances for Atiba like stories. While with basketball, generally speaking top prospects are playing in high school and AAU teams at that point in tournaments where colleges are present.

I'm not saying a Canadian basketball league is a bad idea, but it's not as desperately needed for basketball talent to succeed in this country as the soccer league is just because of how the developmental period works.

Also to your point about producing Canadian players. Basketball you have so few starting positions it's gonna be tough for people in the Canadian league to crack a spot when there's Canadians in the NBA, NBA D-League and European Leagues. 

To answer your questions, yes the NBL is still around. It has eight teams, and they average around 2,000 people per game (looks like some games get up around 6k, though). Not a lot by any means, but okay for a second-division league.

That being said, that league has much less travel than this one would... There are two divisions, with four teams out east, and another four in Southern Ontario, so it's certainly not Canada-wide.

57 minutes ago, grande said:

To answer your questions, yes the NBL is still around. It has eight teams, and they average around 2,000 people per game (looks like some games get up around 6k, though). Not a lot by any means, but okay for a second-division league.

That being said, that league has much less travel than this one would... There are two divisions, with four teams out east, and another four in Southern Ontario, so it's certainly not Canada-wide.

slow and steady wins the race, first goal is not die, after that you can focus on expanding and drawing more people in

6 hours ago, mtlsab said:

Excepting Hamilton, does any other team is confirmed?

•  

No other teams confirmed yet but apparently 6 are in and they're looking for investors for Vancouver & Toronto.

On 2016-02-03 at 8:46 AM, Fussball_eh said:

Agreed .The topic of this thread makes it sound, like the new league is going to be the CSL all over again, with its bad reputation, match-fixing, etc...

Mods really really need to merge the 3 threads in here pertaining to the new Canadian Premier League.

@Mtlsab : you can also edit your original post and change the title of this thread to  "The new Canadian Premier League" to reflect the proper name now that we know it.

3 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

No other teams confirmed yet but apparently 6 are in and they're looking for investors for Vancouver & Toronto.

Mods really really need to merge the 3 threads in here pertaining to the new Canadian Premier League.

@Mtlsab : you can also edit your original post and change the title of this thread to  "The new Canadian Premier League" to reflect the proper name now that we know it.

True, but I can't change it, only an Admin can do it I guess!

On 28/01/2016 at 1:56 PM, xcalibre said:

For what it's worth, Jimmy B thinks we should max out the US model (more teams in MLS, presumably NASL/USL as well).  Yes, a C-League would be cool.  Is that enough?  No.  Our player development model may be better served by maxing out the space in US leagues (Hamilton, Calgary going for NASL, etc), and Jimmy's exposure to the youth scene here has likely informed his opinion.

Alright....well...apart from a couple extra teams in NASL potentially, somewhat near and somewhat far future, I think we've pretty much hit that number. MLS isn't looking to Canada for further expansion with so many more riper US markets, especially with the dollar the way it is, and realistically, already very large with no promotion or relegation.

The NASL has to abide by the USSF region requirements and are losing teams as quick as they are gaining them it seems. So that leaves us with piling into the USL wagon with MLS's farm teams? Yeah, tough sell.

As far as the financial end, what is the break even point for an NASL team. I know Fath says 8,000 but that seems unlikely given the rest of the league is around 4-5 thousand in attendance, which I think it completely attainable for the Canadian Premier League. It won't be an easy road though, but it looks like the various ownerships seem to understand that.

2 hours ago, Coramoor said:

Wetenhall maybe? his wiki page said he was involved in the NASL during the 70s and he does own the Alouettes.

I just hope there's someone but I guess Molson would be better just because of much more $$$$ and he could use the popularity of the Canadiens to his advantage.

Having read this through a couple clarifications/thoughts.

- The figure of $1.5m has been suggested to me from start, but I've had conflicting suggestions on whether that's a salary budget, or TOTAL budget (including coaches, administration, etc). Goal is to be about NASL level as quickly as possible and salaries will reflect that (I was told NASL salaries are about $1m-$1.5m per team, with Cosmos much higher). Personally, I think it will launch at an upper USL level, which is fine.

-They may agree to launch at lower than 75% domestic, but they will work towards that. Realistically the 25% international spots will have a lot of young CONCACAF players.

- I don't believe there will be a college draft. Like NASL/stand alone USL teams un-drafted/cut players from MLS camps will be free to negotiate with individual teams. 

- Structure will likely be a hybrid between MLS single entity and a total free market approach -- think revenue sharing, but not central control over contracts. 

-- Most important aspect to me that few talk about is a requirement that all teams have an academy. That is where real development will take place. The CanPL teams themselves will be finishing school. 

-- There will be an emphasis on selling talent up. That's a big part of how investors convinced to lose money for first few (several?) years. 

- They still say 2017. I think 2018 more realistic. Better to delay a year than start before ready.

- On personal level: Sorry for those who were "sick" of me talking about how I was right. Couple things though: Many weren't accusing my sources of being wrong/not having full information. No, they were suggesting I was lying -- making the whole thing up. Beyond the fact that I've been doing this since 2008 and I can point to a history of solid reporting on these issues (not perfect, no, but no one is and the misses haunt me more than anyone else), I can't get past this point: Why in hell would I do that? The glory and fame of being the guy talking about the Canadian league first? Also, you know I'm one of you right? I would never, ever mislead this community on this because I know how important it is to people that it happen. I know how unfair it would be to be given false hope. I sat on the news for almost a month when I first was told because I wanted to make damn sure it was real. So, trust me when I say, I've never reported anything I didn't believe to be true at the time I reported it. I'm sure there will be differences to the final product we see either through my not having full information or through changes in the planning, but the core points that I reported on in 2014 have all been confirmed by the Spectator report -- Bob Young, 6-8 teams, CFL money involved. I am not going to apologize for being proud of that, nor for defending idea that I was first reporting it in the days ahead when the Spectator inevitably gets that credit.  

-Oh, and for the record, "C-League" was never a real thing. I chose to use that name so it was clear what I was talking about and because I knew actual name would be different. For record I like Can-PL because it has "Can" in it.   

Archived