Canadian Premier League

ted

5 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

Agree to disagree that you misquoted me?  No, but as for the rest of it, yes please.  I've tried to end this mindless conversation twice already.

And you bring it up again. Nice.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/13/2016 at 3:21 PM, Levi Oakey said:

Having listened to the Footy Soliders podcast I couldn't agree more with fan engagement side of things. They need to get on this ASAP.

I believe we can do better in Canada and we should show that. Like the Footy Soldiers, it would be great if we could really show the MLS up by having the CSA more approachable as well as the Leagues governance bodies. There are a alot of disenfranchised American soccer supporters that having a unique fan led league could capture.

I'm listening to this now (first time hearing the pod so no history) and it's good to hear a different perspective that they definitely have.  At the same time they make a whole bunch of assumptions and are pretty negative in general to the prospects of CanPL.

They haven't released any details because they aren't ready.  Yeah there was the leaks to CSN and this is the first public acknowledgment of it from a key member.  We all want to know the details and this leads to the hardcore fans having nothing to do but speculate but it might be best to take a step back.  Try and be patient and wait for them to give us all the correct details.  They've been working on the plans for 2 plus years I believe.  This isn't something that's been rushed

On 2/13/2016 at 8:05 AM, Keegan said:
17 hours ago, canta15 said:

I too believe Canada's league will not rival the Mls. There probably will be some upsets in the CL but i believe the Mls will be growing a lot and attracting more big stars. Money and attendance will be a big favtor also.

Why does this even matter?  The goal of a Canadian league is to have more pro clubs, academies, and places for Canadians to play and develop. As long as they can build this to a break even point financially by year 5 (which is the biggest challenge), I don't think it matters that it is not the "top league " in that sense

The league quality needs to be good enough to draw 5000-8000 a game long term so they can balance the books. I don't think there should be much worry about drawing 20k and having 10 million dollar salary budgets with world class imports.

17 minutes ago, amanfromvancouver said:

Why does this even matter?  The goal of a Canadian league is to have more pro clubs, academies, and places for Canadians to play and develop. As long as they can build this to a break even point financially by year 5 (which is the biggest challenge), I don't think it matters that it is not the "top league " in that sense

I agree.  There's way too much talk of competing with MLS, forcing the MLS teams in or 30 club relegation leagues.  I get that it's exciting but people need to stop putting the cart in front of the horse.  Let them develop this, bring the plans forward when they're ready and go from there. 

51 minutes ago, amanfromvancouver said:

The league quality needs to be good enough to draw 5000-8000 a game long term so they can balance the books. I don't think there should be much worry about drawing 20k and having 10 million dollar salary budgets with world class imports.

Did i ever say I wanted the Canadian league to rival the MLS? I know the Canadian League will be made for developing our young talent. I was just agreeing with the realistic expectations for the league.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 7:18 PM, rob.notenboom said:

I'm hoping that Regina would be green and white hoops or stripes. But I'd be fine with green and silver or green and black. I've always thought the blue and black vertical stripes of the Impact were great. 

I think Green and Black vertical stripes would look good but I also would like to see something like this.  Straight up Roughrider carryover name/colours isn't my favourite

pafc.png

2 hours ago, Stoonr4CPL said:

I think Green and Black vertical stripes would look good but I also would like to see something like this.  Straight up Roughrider carryover name/colours isn't my favourite

pafc.png

Good God, I couldn't Its like when Brazil met Norwich and had a kid that no-one ever talked about again. Well its not for my tastes anyway. If its a roughrider branded team it will be a variant on the Roughrider green jersey. 

Some of these are closer to the rider brand.. don't mind the Germany top.. feel dirty saying it, but its out there now. TT-ADX21412-2.jpg?1381832849

or (not a fan of this much)

euro_2012_logo1.jpg

or simply more like their own - with a little twist so there is no confusion.

resize?key=1e6a1a1efdb011df84894040444cd

sorry for the picture invasion... The Regina team jersey could end up alot like the Sounders one imo.. berrrrrrrrgh

I can't exactly figure out why, but this is one of the lowest quality threads in the history of the board. Almost all of the arguments are completely irrelevant and based on no reliable information at all. I mean, arguing about the NHL, seriously. And favourite team colours, like we are discussing how to dress Barbie when Ken asks her out.

This is all pure speculation so here is mine, just abstract bullshit out of the blue in the spirit of the thread, here it goes:

I personally believe 100% in having a league, hope there are an even number of teams so there are no byes, and fully expect it to be pretty damn modest and low budget at first.

They'll play in the summer. On fake or real grass. Hopefully without Canadian football lines.

If they have a rule of a minimum amount of Canucks on the roster, and a minimum on the field, then way better. I'd say 50% of roster and at least 4-5 on the field would be about minimum. 

I fully appreciate putting teams in the MLS market is screwed and asking the NASL teams to switch over is a bit much, at least at first. After that, since you have ruled out 5 good markets of the top 20 in the country, you are going to have to make a league out of the other 14, and if you can get a bit more than half in on it, you are set. 

Set that is to lose money for a few years and then, if lucky, lose less until you are at least breaking even and the owners are not pulling their hair out. If we are lucky the ownership groups will involve a couple or more guys in every case, so if one bails the others stay cool and get another crony to come in. Share the pain and spread it out.

If it has a proper league name and logo and even an official ball, gets a bit of TV play, advertises and has a decent website and so do the teams, with active fan groups and social media support, then cool, it could be fun.

I hope they don't overcharge, I mean we are talking about 15 endzone to 35 main grandstand, with season tickets from about 200 dollars and up.

Add to that these teams all playing for the Voyageurs Cup, all in the early rounds, and you have some real entertainment value there. 

12 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Give me this in a green with white stripes or a white with green stripes and I'm happy. 

Rob, as a guy who is in that region is it basically "tie this tightly to the rough riders or bust" in your eyes? I personally don't have a problem with it, in fact I think that could be legitimately pretty cool for a number of reasons. Just curious to get your take. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This is all pure speculation so here is mine, just abstract bullshit out of the blue in the spirit of the thread, here it goes:

I personally believe 100% in having a league, hope there are an even number of teams so there are no byes, and fully expect it to be pretty damn modest and low budget at first.

I fully appreciate putting teams in the MLS market is screwed and asking the NASL teams to switch over is a bit much, at least at first. After that, since you have ruled out 5 good markets of the top 20 in the country, you are going to have to make a league out of the other 14, and if you can get a bit more than half in on it, you are set. 

From what Rollins has said the Canadian Premier League expects to launch with a TV contract and that means it imperative to include the 3 largest media markets in Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal.  Their metro population size is easily large enough to support CPL clubs targeting 5-6K attendance. A TV deal is one of the main components needed for the Canadian Premier League to succeed.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I can't exactly figure out why, but this is one of the lowest quality threads in the history of the board. Almost all of the arguments are completely irrelevant and based on no reliable information at all. I mean, arguing about the NHL, seriously. And favourite team colours, like we are discussing how to dress Barbie when Ken asks her out.

They'll play in the summer. On fake or real grass. Hopefully without Canadian football lines.

If they have a rule of a minimum amount of Canucks on the roster, and a minimum on the field, then way better. I'd say 50% of roster and at least 4-5 on the field would be about minimum. 

Set that is to lose money for a few years and then, if lucky, lose less until you are at least breaking even and the owners are not pulling their hair out. If we are lucky the ownership groups will involve a couple or more guys in every case, so if one bails the others stay cool and get another crony to come in. Share the pain and spread it out.

If it has a proper league name and logo and even an official ball, gets a bit of TV play, advertises and has a decent website and so do the teams, with active fan groups and social media support, then cool, it could be fun.

I hope they don't overcharge, I mean we are talking about 15 endzone to 35 main grandstand, with season tickets from about 200 dollars and up.

Add to that these teams all playing for the Voyageurs Cup, all in the early rounds, and you have some real entertainment value there. 

Can't say I disagree with any of this. I just hope that they incorporate the local clubs into their plans.  Listening to DeVos on the TSNFC he always ragged on how TFC never consulted with the local clubs. I never really understood what he meant but he was quite passionate about how it was one of TFCs largest failures in developing Canadian talent. It'd also be a way to generate buzz having a crop of local kids on the teams.

5 hours ago, toontownman said:

Good God, I couldn't Its like when Brazil met Norwich and had a kid that no-one ever talked about again. Well its not for my tastes anyway. If its a roughrider branded team it will be a variant on the Roughrider green jersey. 

Some of these are closer to the rider brand.. don't mind the Germany top.. feel dirty saying it, but its out there now. TT-ADX21412-2.jpg?1381832849

euro_2012_logo1.jpg

sorry for the picture invasion... The Regina team jersey could end up alot like the Sounders one imo.. berrrrrrrrgh

Sassuolo's is not bad either.

4 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

Rob, as a guy who is in that region is it basically "tie this tightly to the rough riders or bust" in your eyes? I personally don't have a problem with it, in fact I think that could be legitimately pretty cool for a number of reasons. Just curious to get your take. 

That's a great question. I'm torn TBH. The Riders are a class org and have the money. I don't know that they'll do it right from a soccer perspective though, but I'd hope that they'd do their homework. The Riders well soccer educated could be a home run. Another group well soccer educated could still do well. The Riders ignoring the SK soccer landscape might still pull it off, but it also might be a disaster.  Not sure if that answers your question :)

Hopefully one team will have the nerve to choose pink as a colour.

As for the 'big 3,' I would expect them to have teams.  It's lame to think that a Canadian league could even think about existing without all (or at least most) of Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver.

22 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

That's a great question. I'm torn TBH. The Riders are a class org and have the money. I don't know that they'll do it right from a soccer perspective though, but I'd hope that they'd do their homework. The Riders well soccer educated could be a home run. Another group well soccer educated could still do well. The Riders ignoring the SK soccer landscape might still pull it off, but it also might be a disaster.  Not sure if that answers your question :)

I think the only reference we have to similar scenario in this country is Ottawa, who you often see doing community outreach with both renegades and fury players, as well as sharing a stadium and the colors. I imagine they share resources in other respects too that I'm too far away to see. I live in the U.S. now, but from my vantage point it seems like the Fury have been quite a successful franchise both in the stands and on the field.

However, Saskatchewan and Rider nation are such a distinct culture and arguably one of THE sporting institutions in this country that legitimately have an organic history and unique story. I think more than perhaps any other team in the league it will be really interesting to see how tightly they maintain that link. I expect other cities (Hamilton for example) will likely keep the same color scheme as their CFL counterparts, but with Sasketchewan I could see it being that step further. Would Riders FC be a good idea or a bridge too far?

will be interesting to see none the less.

8 hours ago, toontownman said:

euro_2012_logo1.jpg

I'm not from Saskatchewan, and I know it's none of my business, but please, NO NO NO, nothing like Seattle please.

How about something like Celtic/Sporting Lisbon?  Who else wears green, Legia Warsaw, if memory serves…

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm sorry, but this comment is unacceptable for having exceeded the quality maximum for this thread.  Please resubmit adding something completely useless and off-topic.

Please note that in all seriousness, I've pressed the little "like" button at the bottom.

5 hours ago, Oranje said:

Can't say I disagree with any of this. I just hope that they incorporate the local clubs into their plans.  Listening to DeVos on the TSNFC he always ragged on how TFC never consulted with the local clubs. I never really understood what he meant but he was quite passionate about how it was one of TFCs largest failures in developing Canadian talent. It'd also be a way to generate buzz having a crop of local kids on the teams.

Do you think he was talking about scouting local clubs for talent or giving group rates to local clubs to get more bums in seats and get them hooked, if possible?

Archived