Canadian Premier League

ted

4 hours ago, Keegan said:

Yes we do, the CHL is the best developmental league in the world and IMO the same model we should be following for a league in football.  Regional leagues with a limit on overage players per team, except in our case let the overage players be any age and increase it to ~7, while the rest of rosters should be u23.  

I like the CHL, and prefer it to the NHL.  It's real, and it's still ours (mostly).  I don't understand why it gets almost no media coverage except during the Memorial Cup.  

So, to be more precise, we have no professional league.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rob.notenboom said:

Any chance you guys would want to keep the Footsoldiers and simply support both clubs? I think it's a great name, and the organic nature of its genesis is pretty cool. 

If there is a Calgary club in the Canadian Premier League the Foot Soldiers would definitely be supporting both the CPL club as well as Calgary Foothills' PDL club. I've found that a PDL club can be hard to build hype around since it consists of 10 months of hype and 2 months of actual supporting in the stands. 

My own viewpoint is that if there are multiple Calgary clubs to support, a re-brand of the supporters group name would make sense, (maybe something like Bow Valley Rovers), to more accurately reflect what we support. That being said, we haven't really discussed it in much depth.

26 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

I was also watching Copa 90 and they talked about some of the struggles of fans in Australia. If you talk to people like those in the RBB they really felt the FFA didn't have their back. It ended up being a prolonged battle and eventually led to a legal contract.

Western Sydney Wanderers' RBB supporters' group are a disgraceful mob that aren't deserving of any official backing. The sooner they fuck off, the better for Australian football. 

4 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Western Sydney Wanderers' RBB supporters' group are a disgraceful mob that aren't deserving of any official backing. The sooner they fuck off, the better for Australian football. 

Everyone I have talked to that is part of the RBB has been fine. But I see the "bad boy" image others give them.

17 minutes ago, shermanator said:

If there is a Calgary club in the Canadian Premier League the Foot Soldiers would definitely be supporting both the CPL club as well as Calgary Foothills' PDL club. I've found that a PDL club can be hard to build hype around since it consists of 10 months of hype and 2 months of actual supporting in the stands. 

My own viewpoint is that if there are multiple Calgary clubs to support, a re-brand of the supporters group name would make sense, (maybe something like Bow Valley Rovers), to more accurately reflect what we support. That being said, we haven't really discussed it in much depth.

Those would be good kinds of problems to have...

Jason

When you've seen them travel in their hundreds to Melbourne seeking to start brawls with random pedestrians in the CBD, it's not a matter of a 'bad boy' image given to them by others. If there are decent-minded people amongst them, I don't understand why they would want to maintain that kind of association. 

58 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

Having listened to the Footy Soliders podcast I couldn't agree more with fan engagement side of things. They need to get on this ASAP.

I was also watching Copa 90 and they talked about some of the struggles of fans in Australia. If you talk to people like those in the RBB they really felt the FFA didn't have their back. It ended up being a prolonged battle and eventually led to a legal contract.

I believe we can do better in Canada and we should show that. Like the Footy Soldiers, it would be great if we could really show the MLS up by having the CSA more approachable as well as the Leagues governance bodies. There are a alot of disenfranchised American soccer supporters that having a unique fan led league could capture.

Thanks for sharing this. Impressive sights for the young league. Clear take aways:
- support group leaders need to work collectively towards common goals
- support groups should establish a committee dedicated to promote open dialogue with both the league and the CSA
- structure: these supporters groups are structure as an organization...similar to the club and players union  

1 hour ago, SuperCanuck said:

I like the CHL, and prefer it to the NHL.  It's real, and it's still ours (mostly).  I don't understand why it gets almost no media coverage except during the Memorial Cup.  

Where do you live?  If you're in an NHL city you probably don't get much junior coverage but in the communities where the teams play and surrounding areas coverage is pretty huge.  Sportsnet does a good job of covering the league, but of course with so many teams you need to narrow your scope.  

2 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

I went to UoG and I remember hearing tons of stuff about the Storm, also 2 years ago when they were making the playoff run where they ended up making the Memorial Cup, the bars and restaurants were packed with people watching

Bored Predictions

TEAM NAMES/JERSEY COLOUR/FIRST SEASON CONFERENCE(League) RANKINGS

Western Conference

Victoria Highlanders (Victoria gets 4th western team in my version) - BLACK Jersey - 3rd/6th

Calgary Wild Horse FC - RED Jersey - 2nd/3rd

Saskatchewan Roughriders SC - GREEN/SILVER Jersey - 1st/2nd

FC Winnipeg - NAVY/WHITE striped Jersey - 4th/7th

Eastern Conference

Hamilton Steelers FC - BLACK/YELLOW striped Jersey - 2nd/4th

Toronto Blizzard - BLUE/RED Jersey - 3rd/5th

Ottawa Fury FC (they join) - Current Style - 1st/1st

FC Royal Quebec - BLUE/WHITE Jersey - 4th/8th

3 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

Because the CHL is a development league and imo Canada shows enough hockey as it is. Also i am almost positive Sportsnet shows a game a week too.

Kind of a tangent, but I also think the CHL gets quite a bit of coverage. Here in Vancouver at least the Junior team gets a decent amount of coverage.

Sportsnet shows CHL games nationally, and locally Shaw TV shows games as well. All Giants' games are radio broadcast and they get pretty good coverage in the local papers as well.

Tier 2 junior (which I guess would be like the 4th tier in a hockey pyramid?) is about where the TV coverage stops. Pretty hard to find BCHL games on TV, unless a team from BC makes the Royal Bank Cup (which is broadcast nationally!)

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

Where do you live?  If you're in an NHL city you probably don't get much junior coverage but in the communities where the teams play and surrounding areas coverage is pretty huge.  Sportsnet does a good job of covering the league, but of course with so many teams you need to narrow your scope.  

I live in Vancouver, and the Giants get coverage in local papers, and Victoria gets decent coverage as well, but there's rarely any mention of teams outside BC in the WHL and never anything at all about the OHL or QMJHL until the Memorial Cup rolls around.  Sportsnet does one game a week.  

2 hours ago, Coramoor said:

I went to UoG and I remember hearing tons of stuff about the Storm, also 2 years ago when they were making the playoff run where they ended up making the Memorial Cup, the bars and restaurants were packed with people watching

Yes, locally the teams in smaller cities get recognition of course, since it's the only game in town.  But nationally, the CHL gets very little.

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

Because the CHL is a development league and imo Canada shows enough hockey as it is. Also i am almost positive Sportsnet shows a game a week too.

It may be a development league, but it's the only one we have that's our own (again, mostly).  There's enough hockey coverage in Canada?  I live in Vancouver and I'm not a fan of the Canucks.  Thanks to Bettman, I presume, any game that Sportsnet or TSN broadcasts between two American teams is shown in Vancouver, but if there's a Canadian team involved and it's not on a Wednesday or Saturday, they're blocked out.  I would much rather watch a game in Winnipeg than a game between Columbus and Carolina.  

Just now, SuperCanuck said:

It may be a development league, but it's the only one we have that's our own (again, mostly).  There's enough hockey coverage in Canada?  I live in Vancouver and I'm not a fan of the Canucks.  Thanks to Bettman, I presume, any game that Sportsnet or TSN broadcasts between two American teams is shown in Vancouver, but if there's a Canadian team involved and it's not on a Wednesday or Saturday, they're blocked out.  I would much rather watch a game in Winnipeg than a game between Columbus and Carolina.  

We all know Bettman is an idiot but saying the NHL isn't Canadian is a little too far. Pretty sure more than half the players in that league are Canadian. We don't need to show the CHL just because of poor planning from the NHL's part.

5 hours ago, MtlMario said:

You're right I didn't know price and attendance of Van.USL team but my point was USL teams of MLS can't be the team to represent CPL team of MLS teams.I'm sure Vanc  & TO can support 2 teams & hopefully Mtl too(I've already posted that I'm Impact double STH from day one going back to Manic & Supra days & will be switching to CPL as soon as we have a team here in Mtl) as long as it's done right, especially here in Mtl where I think it would be the hardest of the 3 MLS teams to succeed in CPL.TKS for the info of Whitecaps2. Go Canada go.

Sorry, then, I simply assumed you were talking about an entirely new team for CPL. In my opinion it would be detrimental for any MLS team to be in on the CPL. I would much prefer an independent ownership and entity and a league functioning regardless of MLS.

So we'd be talking about an MLS side, with it's USL second team to develop youth and have a reserve for the 1st team, regardless of fan base, and then a CPL team. The team that would suffer in this system would obviously be the USL team, though as all over the world this is the case (B teams drawing less than the teams they compete against, drawing relatively poorly), this should not be a problem. I watched the Whitecaps PDL team a few years ago at the same stadium at UBC, Thunderbird, and there were about 60 people watching. 

23 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Kind of a tangent, but I also think the CHL gets quite a bit of coverage. Here in Vancouver at least the Junior team gets a decent amount of coverage.

Sportsnet shows CHL games nationally, and locally Shaw TV shows games as well. All Giants' games are radio broadcast and they get pretty good coverage in the local papers as well.

Tier 2 junior (which I guess would be like the 4th tier in a hockey pyramid?) is about where the TV coverage stops. Pretty hard to find BCHL games on TV, unless a team from BC makes the Royal Bank Cup (which is broadcast nationally!)

This whole thing has become a bit of a tangent, for which I apologise.  However, I feel a need to respond.

The junior team gets a decent amount of coverage?  There's one CHL game a week, amongst 60 teams.  Not everyone uses Shaw.

I hope this doesn't come across as argumentative.  I just disagree.  I feel it deserves more, as does all Canadian sport as our airwaves are saturated with nonsense from across the border. 

3 minutes ago, canta15 said:

We all know Bettman is an idiot but saying the NHL isn't Canadian is a little too far. Pretty sure more than half the players in that league are Canadian. We don't need to show the CHL just because of poor planning from the NHL's part.

It's actually now less than half of the players being Canadian, but more importantly the league's head office and most of the teams are in the US.  

We don't need to show the CHL?    So, we have MLS in Canada, do we need to show the CPL if it gets off the ground?

1 hour ago, matty said:

Bored Predictions

TEAM NAMES/JERSEY COLOUR/FIRST SEASON CONFERENCE(League) RANKINGS

Western Conference

Victoria Highlanders (Victoria gets 4th western team in my version) - BLACK Jersey - 3rd/6th

Calgary Wild Horse FC - RED Jersey - 2nd/3rd

Saskatchewan Roughriders SC - GREEN/SILVER Jersey - 1st/2nd

FC Winnipeg - NAVY/WHITE striped Jersey - 4th/7th

Eastern Conference

Hamilton Steelers FC - BLACK/YELLOW striped Jersey - 2nd/4th

Toronto Blizzard - BLUE/RED Jersey - 3rd/5th

Ottawa Fury FC (they join) - Current Style - 1st/1st

FC Royal Quebec - BLUE/WHITE Jersey - 4th/8th

I'm hoping that Regina would be green and white hoops or stripes. But I'd be fine with green and silver or green and black. I've always thought the blue and black vertical stripes of the Impact were great. 

13 minutes ago, SuperCanuck said:

It's actually now less than half of the players being Canadian, but more importantly the league's head office and most of the teams are in the US.  

We don't need to show the CHL?    So, we have MLS in Canada, do we need to show the CPL if it gets off the ground?

There is a difference between the CPL and CHL because the CPL will actually be the top of the Pyramid in Canada while the CHL is like college hockey. You should be comparing the CHL to the USA college hockey rather than comparing it to the best hockey league in the world by far. Both are development leagues for younger players. You could make a case that TSN should show more CHL games and replace the NCAA games but saying TSN should get rid of some NHL games in order to make room for the CHL is absolutely ludicrous. The CPL won't be telling the BPL to move along

41 minutes ago, canta15 said:

There is a difference between the CPL and CHL because the CPL will actually be the top of the Pyramid in Canada while the CHL is like college hockey. You should be comparing the CHL to the USA college hockey rather than comparing it to the best hockey league in the world by far. Both are development leagues for younger players. You could make a case that TSN should show more CHL games and replace the NCAA games but saying TSN should get rid of some NHL games in order to make room for the CHL is absolutely ludicrous. The CPL won't be telling the BPL to move along

The CPL being top of the pyramid is debatable until and if it gets going.  If CPL teams are seeded higher in the Voyageurs cup than the MLS teams, if the CPL has better attendance, better players, etc.

TSN as well as Sportsnet could easily drop US-only NHL games as well as a lot of the other rubbish they import from across the border they show in favour of CHL hockey.

I can see that I was clearly in the minority here, but I've changed my mind.  We shouldn't have any more hockey on television in this country than we already have, especially if Canadian teams outside the local market are involved.  Yes, please show more Carolina v Nashville games.  More NASCAR!, who needs the CHL?

And now, back to the CPL thread.

41 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Archived