Canadian Premier League

ted

18 minutes ago, Oranje said:

I'd almost have an issue even with them playing in CPL (Ledgerwood aside) because why would a 35 year-old JDG want to play in the CPL. @baulderdash77 mentioned having the option outside Unattached FC makes sense until the 32+ yr CMNT members being phased out come into the fold. I wouldn't want roster spots being taken from a young up-and-comer so that Bernier or JDG can play a final season.

If they are still wanting to play and good enough then you can't stop them from taking roster from young up and comers. As much as this is about developing young players it has to be a meritocracy. The young players get a chance to play with and against these older players. Ideally they learn from them, test themselves against them and surpass them but the best players have to play. Some will make it some won't but the cream will rise to the top.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks like a fun poll.

My Prediction:  Kevin Aleman, Marcus Haber, Randy Edwini-Bonsu, Andre Hainault, Caleb Clarke, Iain Hume, Dejan Jakovic, Issey Nakajima-Farran, Adam Straith, Sam Piette, Ben Fisk, Tosaint Ricketts, Nana Attakora, Kenny Stamatopoulos

Those are the guys who I think are active CMNT members with team situations that would improve playing domestically.

19 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

If they are still wanting to play and good enough then you can't stop them from taking roster from young up and comers. As much as this is about developing young players it has to be a meritocracy. The young players get a chance to play with and against these older players. Ideally they learn from them, test themselves against them and surpass them but the best players have to play. Some will make it some won't but the cream will rise to the top.

You can't stop them, but you'd hope that the clubs would see that it is almost pointless for all parties. The only role I would want to see is them in is a player-manager on minimum wage on top of the 75% domestic quota

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

As a soccer loving person, I will be 100% behind the Canadian Premier League if/when it shows up. 

As an auditor and an accountant, I am 100% sceptical that it'll last more than five years as a going concern.

Auditors & accountants have been wrong before(I hope).As they say old accountants never die,they just lose their balance.

34 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

My Prediction:  Kevin Aleman, Marcus Haber, Randy Edwini-Bonsu, Andre Hainault, Caleb Clarke, Iain Hume, Dejan Jakovic, Issey Nakajima-Farran, Adam Straith, Sam Piette, Ben Fisk, Tosaint Ricketts, Nana Attakora, Kenny Stamatopoulos

Those are the guys who I think are active CMNT members with team situations that would improve playing domestically.

Piette may go all the way to La Liga, I can't see him joining the domestic league

35 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I wonder about Aleman

I feel like the Canadian League will be similar to the Welsh premier league. Great experience for the younger players but when they develop and get better they will move on. There will be quite a few players who would like to end their careers in Canada aswell.

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

I feel like the Canadian League will be similar to the Welsh premier league. Great experience for the younger players but when they develop and get better they will move on. There will be quite a few players who would like to end their careers in Canada aswell.

I think this is a fair assessment of the talent level should this league kick off. And if the most talented players leave for higher leagues, than I think the league is doing what we want it to; developing Canadian talent that otherwise may not get the chance to play professional football. Isn't that what Canadian soccer desperately needs?

I would argue that there are a few players on Calgary Foothills that would have the talent level to hang in a Canadian Premier League. Most notably Elijah Adekugbe, Darius Ramsay, and Sean Melvin. Maybe Mitch Bauche and Dominic Russo as well. Even if you want to go outside of the Canadians, Jean-Pierre Rodriguez-Lemos is a great young CB from Colombia who would surely love a chance to play in a league like this.

None of these players have yet reached the age of 23.

I am so happy!! I of course am still confused how Toronto or Vancouver would be able to join if those cities were among the 6-8. The USL teams(MLS affiliate) or a completely new team. Can either city support all three? Either way this news is great and hopefully some loaded bastards are gonna get involved. Just imagine if one of us voyageurs was a billionaire!!! Id take losses for decades if I needed to. 

I just thought of this for travel if the CPL is a thing. Say that the CFL and the new Canadian league were a jointed partnership in some sort of way, do you think we will see the soccer teams hopping on charter flights with CFL teams to help reduce travel costs? 

11 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

That's not true, the main opposition to the New West proposal came from the wealthy neighbourhood surrounding the proposed stadium and the New West baseball club who didn't want to lose their facility.  

False. The Queen's Park residents association supported the team.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2014/09/03/three-major-new-westminster-organizations-declare-support-whitecaps-fc-usl-pro

How could you have a Canadian Premier League without Toronto team for first few years?  

TFC/MLSE is a joke in GTA soccer community where we got a private academy (Sigma) producing better players than TFC while TFC first team took almost a decade to make it to the playoffs in league where 50% teams make it to the playoffs.   

Toronto is proven soccer market that can bring a lot to Premier league (in terms of money and support) that other Canadian markets would love to have.  

1 minute ago, TFC07 said:

How could you have a Canadian Premier League without Toronto team for first few years?  

TFC/MLSE is a joke in GTA soccer community where we got a private academy (Sigma) producing better players than TFC while TFC first team took almost a decade to make it to the playoffs in league where 50% teams make it to the playoffs.   

Toronto is proven soccer market that can bring a lot to Premier league (in terms of money and support) that other Canadian markets would love to have.  

sigma has been around a lot longer, bound to be a few kinks at the start for the TFC academy, it's a solid looking crop of kids at the moment

On 2/3/2016 at 1:23 PM, Jahinho Guerro said:

Agreed ......Absolutely no stars, fuck the stars actually. As that brings a connection to the USA, and I don't see any leafs in the MLS logo. 

haha alrighty then!  I didn't even think about the US connection.  what would your guys ideal logo look like then(might as well play this game :P)?  In my mind the stars were from that iconic champions league ball(and the champions league logo) they made a little while ago.  It was uber popular when i was growing up and playing and it seemed like the most common design.  

I'm all ears if anyone has ideas though.

Archived