Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Can we please, for the love of God, name something after this guy?

I don't know if any of you have seen the commercial with this guy, but he's an absolute legend.

The original man in motion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Thompson_(explorer)

For a moment I thought you meant Totera. Thought, yeesh, pump the breaks a little ;)

It's not unusual to have B teams in mainstream national league structure with the rule being that they have to play in a lower division than the A team. Some countries also allow multiple cup entries although others restrict it as the CSA currently are. The UK is quite unusual in having seperate reserve team competitions, and there are currently moves to try to launch lower division B teams in both Scotland and England. There have been plenty examples of multiple club ownership within UEFA. At the moment Red Bull own top flight clubs in both Germany and Austria that could easily meet in European competition in future. In Scotland, Hearts used to be owned by a Lithuanian who also owned clubs in Lithuania and Belarus. In CONCACAF, there are and have been plenty of examples of multiple club ownership and B teams in lower divisions,

19 hours ago, Marc said:

Yeah, disagree.  I just don't see that as realistic at all.  MLSE et al leave the MLS for the soccer equivalent of an upstart CFL?  Will never happen.  Montagliani was posturing.  We're more likely to see a revision of the MLS rules.  Quote it. :) 

Can understand the skepticism, but it's worth bearing in mind that the New York Cosmos and some other NASL owners were serious about challenging MLS in the United States even if it looked delusional to most onlookers, and I am sure things like the escalation in franchise value for TFC from $10 million to $245 million according to Forbes has had a few people in corporate Canada doing this and looking for ways to muscle in:

latest?cb=20131121152452

7 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

http://m.thespec.com/news-story/7073191-stadium-dome-won-t-be-considered-until-ticat-city-litigation-settled

McGrane expects announcement within a month and a half 

Grain of salt considering his past prognostics, but this is a pretty short deadline and lines up with what has been heard from a couple sources 

They should just delay another month and announce it on April Fools.

I just caught the end of a story on CH in Hamilton with John McGrane speaking about the new team using Tim Horton's Field and the plan to install a bubble for the winter which the Academy would use as well as the senior team! It seems approval of the bubble is delayed because of ongoing legal issues at THF and of course our local council has already stepped in to tell the organization where they should install their bubble, that part could get messy! A start up date of 2018 for the new league was mentioned and it stated the official announcement should be in the next 3 months!

1 minute ago, gator said:

I just caught the end of a story on CH in Hamilton with John McGrane speaking about the new team using Tim Horton's Field and the plan to install a bubble for the winter which the Academy would use as well as the senior team! It seems approval of the bubble is delayed because of ongoing legal issues at THF and of course our local council has already stepped in to tell the organization where they should install their bubble, that part could get messy! A start up date of 2018 for the new league was mentioned and it stated the official announcement should be in the next 3 months!

Yep there's a Spec article on it

The city won't move forward with approval until the other litigation with the TiCats is resolved 

That said, they said the dome isn't a deal breaker for anything 

3 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Yep there's a Spec article on it

The city won't move forward with approval until the other litigation with the TiCats is resolved 

That said, they said the dome isn't a deal breaker for anything 

Just also to be clear to anyone unfamiliar with the Tim Hortons Field stadium situation, the litigation in question is an ugly four way between the Ti-Cats, the City of Hamilton, Infrastructure Ontario and the contracted builders hired by infrastructure Ontario regarding a whole bunch of items that were either left out or done incorrectly in the rush to get the stadium done. It's a nasty, legal conga line that we all saw coming when the stadium debate dragged on.

Specifically those known deficiencies (there may be others) include

• Lack of Beer Taps that were part of the build order
  • Insufficient speaker mounting brackets being used
  • Initial sound system issues
  • Some seats in the upper decks have obstructed views as metal posts were used instead of the Plexiglas which was called for
  • Certain rooms in the stadium designed with smaller, incorrect dimensions
  • Damages from a mechanical room fire that occurred shortly after opening
  • The late delivery of the stadium

Nearly all of these items have been address out of pocket by the city or the Ti-Cats from my understanding, except the seats in the upper deck and the room sizes (which are minor items, but can't really be fixed). The city has also gone through the facility with a fine tooth comb since then, so there likely are others.

Another notable addition to this, from my understanding, the local councillor Matthew Green is also pitching movement on another project nearby the stadium (and old glass factory that is getting expropriated and turned into green-space) being turned into pitches and possibly setting up dome there in that prescient. 

just wondering. since the hamilton stuff mostly has come out because of this dome, what's the status for similar indoor training facilities in the likes of calgary, winnipeg, regina and other possible cpl cities? anything you see a pro team using?

3 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

That's a better fit for the latest quote from Victor Montagliani and the date of the CSA AGM when he departs for CONCACAF.

One mildly interesting snippet:

Under the stadium lease agreement, the Ticats had until the end of March 2016 to use their exclusive rights to soccer at the stadium. That window has passed, but McGrane said that's not a problem. There's no competition anyway.

"Nobody else is looking at bringing professional soccer into Hamilton other than the Hamilton Ticats," he said.

That sounds like a snagging list.  The only significant thing on there is the late delivery of the stadium (which is significant) and possibly the obstructed views.  The other things are pretty minor and irrelevant.  They would happen in any significant project like this.  I can't believe they would go to litigation over any of that and if they do, they are nuts as the legal costs would be more than what they would win in court. I assume the sole reason they are in litigation is because of the late delivery and any penalties that were in the contract that were not paid.

On 17-1-2017 at 11:39 PM, red card said:

It is obvious you don't know that football is President's Xi passion. So whether for economic or political or other, a lot of business types are jumping in. Evergrande School is the biggest football boarding school in the world with 48 fields and all Spanish coaches.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/04/world/asia/china-soccer-xi-jinping.html?_r=0

I don't see how wasting money on big has-been-players is going to help them bridge the technical gap to the rest of the world.  Once the Chinese players start filling up the EPL, I'll start worrying.

6 hours ago, An Observer said:

That sounds like a snagging list.  The only significant thing on there is the late delivery of the stadium (which is significant) and possibly the obstructed views.  The other things are pretty minor and irrelevant.  They would happen in any significant project like this.  I can't believe they would go to litigation over any of that and if they do, they are nuts as the legal costs would be more than what they would win in court. I assume the sole reason they are in litigation is because of the late delivery and any penalties that were in the contract that were not paid.

The individual things on the list are fairly minor... But when the stadium opened (late), there was an article talking about how there were something like 250 deficiencies throughout the place. On one of the levels, for example, the doors to bathroom stalls were installed upside down, so there was a huge gap at the bottom. Apparently it's been like pulling teeth to get the construction company to come back and fix the shit that isn't right.

3 hours ago, shamrock said:

I don't see how wasting money on big has-been-players is going to help them bridge the technical gap to the rest of the world.  Once the Chinese players start filling up the EPL, I'll start worrying.

They might be filling it up very quick....also https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/2505590/chinese-super-league-send-warning-to-premier-league-we-can-sign-who-we-want-when-we-want/

Archived