Canadian Premier League

ted

1 hour ago, matty said:

With the new ccl format where do you guys think the cpl will enter? I'm thinking the cpl will get a spot (maybe one of the cfu ones or in some kind playoff) in the new fall cup.

I think the current setup is set for the time being, I don't see CONCACAF being interested in renegotiating the allotment of spots until the next time the tournament gets overhauled 

Assuming CPL succeeds and Canada continues to punch above it's weight in CCL, I do see us eventually getting a second spot, unless spots are taken away from some of the comparable nations with 2 spots

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a CONCACAF standpoint the Canadian Championship (with the Voyageurs Cup as the trophy) is Canada's domestic D1 league as things stand at the moment. Think if Canada gets a second team in the Champions League it would probably go to the losing finalist, but would agree that potential CPL investors may have another perspective on what should happen down the line.

Regarding the CCL

Canada should be treated just like every other Central America nations. The tournament will most expand, reformat to take CPL into account. As of now, Central America nations send their domestic and League Cup finalist to Phase 1 and their champions to Phase 2.

Canada should logically have the same treatment.

9 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Regarding the CCL

Canada should be treated just like every other Central America nations. The tournament will most expand, reformat to take CPL into account. As of now, Central America nations send their domestic and League Cup finalist to Phase 1 and their champions of both competitions to Phase 2.

Canada should logically have the same treatment.

Except for Belize. I'm not hating i just question how it will go. I don't think it'll be as fair as it should be

For now it's a good format but once CPL starts and hits 10-12 teams, this makes more sense to me.

Phase 2

• CFU Champions (0): The CFU tournament should be to establish which 3 teams makes it to Phase I, not giving it's champion an automatic berth. Sorry, but they are way too weak for phase II. And if they end up leaving CONCACAF, then that frees 1 spot.
  • Costa Rica (2): I view them as the 2nd strongest league in CONCACAF. They should have been allowed to keep 2 spots in Phase 2. (champions of both tournaments)
  • Mexico (4): Only Federation deserving of 4 automatic spots
  • USA (3): I think 3 is fair. I get they reward the US Open Cup and MLS Champions but they would have to choose between Supporter's Shield (that doen't mean much in the end) and MLS Cup runner-up (who deserve their playoff run to be rewarded). Supporter's Shield could go to CCL if a Canadian Club ends up winning the MLS Cup or being the finalist.
  • Central America (4): Panama, Honduras, Salvador, Guatemala, 1 spot each
  • Canada (2): V Cup Winner and CPL Champion
  • Phase I Champion (1)

Phase 1

• As is

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1434786-pro-soccer-pitch-pitched-for-halifax-wanderers-grounds#.WIadOntLLMo.twitter

Another Halifax article. Not a lot different. Still calls it the CPL. Still 5000-8000 seats at the Wanderer's Grounds

Sort of new details are stating that the season could run from April to October, though that could easily be spit balling, and that the building of the temporary stadium could be the proof of concept for the construction of a larger permanent stadium if the team is successful. Also a small shout out to the Wanderer's SG

32 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1434786-pro-soccer-pitch-pitched-for-halifax-wanderers-grounds#.WIadOntLLMo.twitter

Another Halifax article. Not a lot different. Still calls it the CPL. Still 5000-8000 seats at the Wanderer's Grounds

Sort of new details are stating that the season could run from April to October, though that could easily be spit balling, and that the building of the temporary stadium could be the proof of concept for the construction of a larger permanent stadium if the team is successful. Also a small shout out to the Wanderer's SG

April to October is what I think most of us were thinking and also kind of supports a 20~ game season.

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

For now it's a good format but once CPL starts and hits 10-12 teams, this makes more sense to me.

Phase 2

• CFU Champions (0): The CFU tournament should be to establish which 3 teams makes it to Phase I, not giving it's champion an automatic berth. Sorry, but they are way too weak for phase II. And if they end up leaving CONCACAF, then that frees 1 spot.
  • Costa Rica (2): I view them as the 2nd strongest league in CONCACAF. They should have been allowed to keep 2 spots in Phase 2. (champions of both tournaments)
  • Mexico (4): Only Federation deserving of 4 automatic spots
  • USA (3): I think 3 is fair. I get they reward the US Open Cup and MLS Champions but they would have to choose between Supporter's Shield (that doen't mean much in the end) and MLS Cup runner-up (who deserve their playoff run to be rewarded). Supporter's Shield could go to CCL if a Canadian Club ends up winning the MLS Cup or being the finalist.
  • Central America (4): Panama, Honduras, Salvador, Guatemala, 1 spot each
  • Canada (2): V Cup Winner and CPL Champion
  • Phase I Champion (1)

Phase 1

• As is

I wouldn't mind that if the MLS team gets the bye and CPL team goes into phase 1

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Sounds like something similar to Bonney Field in Sacramento.  Cheap, small, and temporary

Image result for bonney field

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Thanks for posting this I totally didn't see it today. Also love the little shout out - maybe our supporters group is making a small difference.

Cheers

The one thing that does worry me though it seems like its only the Hamilton and Halifax perspective ownership groups who are out pushing their vision for a team. I think that this thing is at a stage where if it is going to start in 2018 owners would wants to start getting the word out a little bit.

Then again maybe they want to finalize things before they go public......

9 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

The one thing that does worry me though it seems like its only the Hamilton and Halifax perspective ownership groups who are out pushing their vision for a team. I think that this thing is at a stage where if it is going to start in 2018 owners would wants to start getting the word out a little bit.

Then again maybe they want to finalize things before they go public......

I wouldn't worry too much. It is a strange decision, but it's possible the CFL teams that didn't get outed years ago want to make a more coordinated marketing effort

26 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Thanks for posting this I totally didn't see it today. Also love the little shout out - maybe our supporters group is making a small difference.

Cheers

I think the supporters  actually make a huge difference I think.  On just the idea of a team getting 50 people and 250 followers on twitter is pretty good and quick.  It points to a much larger silent majority of fans out there and helps to confirk there is a fan base out there.

1 minute ago, baulderdash77 said:

I think the supporters  actually make a huge difference I think.  On just the idea of a team getting 50 people and 250 followers on twitter is pretty good and quick.  It points to a much larger silent majority of fans out there and helps to confirk there is a fan base out there.

Yea that's similar to what Derek Martin said in the article:

'Martin said one of the most encouraging developments has been a group of fans that is completely independent from his group.

Already tweeting, they have produced a logo that incorporates the Nova Scotia’s tartan, the Citadel and a soccer-playing jay.

“It is one of the most encouraging developments in this process as that group of people have now formed a community around simply the ‘idea’ of a team. It is one of the elements of soccer that is very intriguing as there is a level of fan passion for soccer that is not as common in other North American sports,” he said.'

Trust me I'm not him, I live in Hamilton; but I am a businessman and it's not hard to draw a similar conclusion.

From a franchise perspective the Halifax market is appealing.  It would be a regional leader in an area with no professional  competition.  It really just needs an owner (Martin and his company) and a stadium, which they are organizing .

If they get an 8,000 seat stadium I have no doubt Halifax will be a strong franchise.

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

I wouldn't worry too much. It is a strange decision, but it's possible the CFL teams that didn't get outed years ago want to make a more coordinated marketing effort

Good analysis. A professional soccer team in Hamilton was out of the bag a long time ago so they just kept everything out in the open while Halifax needs to get the ball rolling earlier for the stadium location and other infrastructure. The CFL teams can hold off for exactly the reason you're giving. 

Now, we could be potentially concerned with the GTA CPL team as they would (assuming Lamport is a no go) need to get the same ducks in row as a Halifax franchise regarding infrastructure and all but that's still speculation. KW would fit the bilI to I guess. It would make sense if these two locations mimic what Halifax is trying to do with a pop up stadium and all. 

2 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

The one thing that does worry me though it seems like its only the Hamilton and Halifax perspective ownership groups who are out pushing their vision for a team...

...and although preseason training would be starting up not long from now next year, even they aren't taking refundable season ticket deposits yet, which is often how the ball gets rolling in terms of identifying the fanbase. A possible explanation for silence elsewhere would be that teams are already operating in another league and will make a midseason announcement of their move, because they want to focus on their 2017 season for now. Hamilton + Halifax + Ottawa Fury + K/W United + TFC II (or the rumoured suburban GTA team, if it isn't TFC II) and you almost have six for a launch with some other PDL, L1O or PLSQ team from the Windsor-Quebec corridor being a good fit to round it off at six.

This snippet was somewhat revealing:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1434786-pro-soccer-pitch-pitched-for-halifax-wanderers-grounds#.WIaWNM4Dx9o.twitter

“The CPL approached us with this opportunity because of our reputation and successful track record,” he said.

If they are cold calling people in a relatively small market like Halifax many of the 12 expressions of interest that are supposed to have been received were probably not that solid.

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

If they are cold calling people in a relatively small market like Halifax many of the 12 expressions of interest that are supposed to have been received were probably not that solid

Halifax is the biggest city in the Maritimes. Not much of a Canadian League if you're not even trying to have a team across the country. Halifax might be small but I have no doubt a team can succeed there and might be the catalyst for Moncton to want in the league, even St.John's

8 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

A possible explanation for silence elsewhere would be that teams are already operating in another league and will make a midseason announcement of their move, because they want to focus on their 2017 season for now. Hamilton + Halifax + Ottawa Fury + K/W United + TFC II (or the rumoured suburban GTA team, if it isn't TFC II) and you almost have six for a launch with some other PDL, L1O or PLSQ team from the Windsor-Quebec corridor being a good fit to round it off at six.

God your point here is stale. Yes this could happen but it's unlikely because it ignores EVERYTHING. Of the five teams you listed only ONE seems to actually be in the mix for 2018 (Hamilton) with Halifax battling for the chance to get in (I wish them luck and hope they pull this off) but they seem to be on the outside for 2018 and the Ottawa Fury also being unlikely after spending a lot of money on exit and entry fees and NASL officials thinking they're sticking to the USL for a while.

We've heard time and time again that Winnipeg, Calgary and Regina are involved from both reporters and people active with the league and that no one other than TFC want a TFC reserve team and that TFC being directly involved would damage the league and all other teams. Your constant push for your version of this league pretends all those facts aren't real.

KW is also very much on the outside with the only real buzz coming from this forum. While they have a rich owner, his value seems well outside of what what kind of money is rumoured to be involved.

Your version also fails to meet the criteria for a pro league (division 1 or 2) in Canada and if you recall Victor Montagliani has said this league would be like no other league Canada has ever seen and your eastern version with reserve teams and small markets is something we have already seen.

Archived